TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I visited the park yesterday (3/22/2017) and was able to get some photos of the progress on Sol Spin as well as the progress in Wipeout's old spot. It was a relatively empty day at the park, I was able to get on Xcelerator 7x, Ghostrider 2x, Silver Bullet 1x, Boomerang 3x, Supreme Scream 5x, the Log Ride 3x, Iron Reef 1x, Sierra Sidewinder 1x, La Revolucion, Calico Mine Ride 1x, Coast Rider 1x, and the Surfside Gliders 1x. All photos were taken legally from park walkways through gaps in construction walls.

1827228112_IMG_45001.thumb.JPG.77924b380ddf24e5e6a1c5538efca29a.JPG

Work at Wipeout's old spot

IMG_4499.thumb.JPG.8c95b96a7c4f02956dc78d00be46426e.JPG

Work at Wipeout's old spot. Outline of wood looks like new building

IMG_4504.thumb.JPG.142c867bbc05c57a140ffb651491669d.JPG

Work at Sol Spin's pad

IMG_4505.thumb.JPG.9bc632b53dafac13d605397cff93ce50.JPG

Work at Sol Spin's pad

IMG_4514.thumb.JPG.01add60a498a288f0dce0aed8b0368d1.JPG

Sorry for crappy pic quality, photo was taken with permission on Grand Sierra Railroad. Shows the purplish base that has been installed at Sol Spin.

Edited by Xcelerator4

.....The camera was not inserted into the construction site in any way, shape, or form.

That just reads dirty.

I've just been previously ostracized on other websites for "Trespassing on park grounds" when it was a clear gap in the construction wall. Still a bit sore and not wanting it to happen again.

Holy crap! They got a lot done since 8 PM yesterday, when it was still just that base that I had pictured.

Yep. I imagine it will be completely assembled in the next 2-3 days, and we could possibly see testing soon. Does anybody know how long it takes to test new flat rides before opening? Do they need as many runs as new roller coasters do? I'd love to see this open sometime during the Festival!

Holy crap! They got a lot done since 8 PM yesterday, when it was still just that base that I had pictured.

Yep. I imagine it will be completely assembled in the next 2-3 days, and we could possibly see testing soon. Does anybody know how long it takes to test new flat rides before opening? Do they need as many runs as new roller coasters do? I'd love to see this open sometime during the Festival!

Last year, I had to cycle each tower of Valleyfair's 16 year old S&S Tower 50 times for pre-season testing. I'm sure the process is around that much, if not more for a new ride. Is Sol Spin a relocated/refurbished Top Scan, or fresh off the assembly line?

Last year, I had to cycle each tower of Valleyfair's 16 year old S&S Tower 50 times for pre-season testing. I'm sure the process is around that much, if not more for a new ride. Is Sol Spin a relocated/refurbished Top Scan, or fresh off the assembly line?

Fresh off the line. If you notice, there are 6 seats per row on this version, where every other version has 5. Knott's, for whatever reason, wanted more capacity, and it was designed to fit on Windseeker's old anchor bolts as well. It's not only new, but custom. Can't wait to ride... I LOVED Samurai at Lagoon.

Is Sol Spin a relocated/refurbished Top Scan, or fresh off the assembly line?

Fresh off the line. If you notice, there are 6 seats per row on this version, where every other version has 5. Knott's, for whatever reason, wanted more capacity, and it was designed to fit on Windseeker's old anchor bolts as well. It's not only new, but custom. Can't wait to ride... I LOVED Samurai at Lagoon.

shiny.jpg.ec609cb07efaa0d112df98d41a0a0371.jpg

^

B&M dive trains are WAY too heavy for a beyond vertical drop. That's why you see intamin and gerstlauer trains with no more than 3 cars on a beyond vertical drop. Those trains are much smaller than those on B&M dive machines.

^

B&M dive trains are WAY too heavy for a beyond vertical drop. That's why you see intamin and gerstlauer trains with no more than 3 cars on a beyond vertical drop. Those trains are much smaller than those on B&M dive machines.

Maybe you're not stupid, maybe you just have bad luck when you think.

^

^

Oh my

Thanks for the info on the VR experience! Good use of the arcade space I think. I hope they don't remove the sky cabin. I think there are some good possibilities for the attraction if they remodel and enhance the structure.

^

And you make fun of people on the internet to feel good about yourself. It's okay we all have our quirks.

^

And you make fun of people on the internet to feel good about yourself. It's okay we all have our quirks.

You ARE making BS claims about things you absolutely don't know.

^

Okay I'm sorry, you're definitely stupid.

As soon as Baron 1898 opened, I thought what a great addition to Knotts it would be. I am on board thinking a B&M Dive coaster is on it's way to Knott's Berry Farm. Ironically, this was also rumored for SFMM, but I think SFMM has something completely different in mind.

^

They're shorter trains because the tight radius of a beyond vertical drop would accelerate riders sitting in the back of a long train too quickly to be safe. The amount of negative-Gs you would get going over a tight drop like a Eurofighter's in an long train would cause internal injury (starting at -2Gs). It has nothing to do with the weight.

B&M can change the angle as much as the please to make it safe for riders. They already have proven that their tight-radius crest off the holding brake in their Dive Coaster trains are safe for riders. To get beyond vertical, they would just simply have to continue easing steeper once the drop has reached vertical.

What if this is the first beyond 90 degrees dive coaster? Surprised B&M hasn't done it yet

I have been wondering myself for a while now whether or not B&M will ever attempt this. It would be the simplest, yet most stupidly effective addition to any Dive Coaster, in my opinion.

Having a beyond vertical drop would:

• -Clear the track from underneath the rider's view from the holding brake, making it seem like there really is nothing between you and the pullout.
    -Add another unique characteristic to the Dive Coaster model and ride experience (beyond vertical drops are uncommon)
    -Generally, sustain a longer duration of airtime (would still depend on how the drop is shaped)
    -Increase marketability. Vertical drops are cool, but the GP looses their shit when you tell them a roller coaster can have a beyond vertical drop.

All that said, I didn't suggest that Knott's would be the first to try this. I suppose Knott's will get a Dive Coaster if they want anything over 200ft, based on reasoning of space and marketability to the area, but there's nothing to correlate them getting the first one with a beyond-vertical drop. In fact, Cannibal, a ride in the region, already has a 200ft a 116* drop. It would take a lot to break Lagoon's record.

Edited by RollerManic

If you look at it, it seems that there is more than enough space to fit a Baron 1898 esque B&M Dive Coaster in there. I made sure that the scale was accurate on Google Maps, and I don't think it'd be even a tight fit to put a dive coaster there. We might be seeing Cedar Fair's next large B&M on our hands.

1911789607_Baron1898.thumb.JPG.4b3000a828e63535e4882163722144b4.JPG

The amount of space Baron takes up (Give or take)

Boomerang.thumb.JPG.0a30804ce33bfb30ba26518da93df0fb.JPG

The amount of space available in Boomerang, Riptide, Wipeout, and the Sky Tower's old spot (Give or take)