Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:59 pm

I attended Passholder Preview Day. I won't be posting my report and photos until tomorrow, but I thought everyone would like to know that InvadR will be opening on April 7.

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Keetz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Wow! I love how invadr interacts with the train, and Le Scoot. It's looking like RCT. If invadr runs like other GCI coasters, it should pack a nice punch. I can't wait to ride it later this year! Thanks for the update Fooz.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby ElvisLuv » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Can't wait till the second week of June.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 am

Oh what a beautiful ride. . . Ugh!! I can't wait for my visit next month!!! :br
Bigger is not always better.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:09 am

Does All for One not start until July? I didn't see any info on their website about it, but that's what the park prez made it sound like during passholder preview.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 am

What's New at BGW for 2017?: Report from Passholder Preview Day

Rain mixed with snow is falling on Williamsburg at the moment, but the weather for yesterday's Passholder Preview Day, depiste a drizzly beginning, was nearly perfect. The park uses these events for announcements both major (such as InvadR) and minor (such as new kiosks for the Food and Wine Festival). Here's a summary of what happened yesterday.

1. InvadR will open on April 7. This is one of the earliest openings for a new ride at BGW ever. They "unveiled" the ride's sign and entrance (both of which look great), and mentioned that "testing" had been going on. I didn't see any trains on the track, but they could've in the station and barn away from public view.

2. Virtual reality comes to Ireland in 2018. Europe in the Air is closed and being prepared to become a "virtual-reality motion-simulator" attraction. The park showed a brief teaser video about the new attraction. One good thing about this announcement is that Irish myth is returning to BGW after a long absence.

3. The Food and Wine Festival will feature three new kiosks this year: India, Mediterranean, and Island Freeze Frozen Drinks. Nice to know that all your adult-frozen-beverage needs will be served in one spot. The festival runs from May 26 to July 2.

4. At this year's Howl-o-Scream, the park is going to try something it's never done before . . . but we'll have to wait to find out what that is. ;) That being said, Count von Count will be returning in a Halloween show for kids. And while Europe in the Air itself is closed, the show building will still host an HOS maze.

5. Busch Gardens is taking "French fries to a whole new level this year." More on that later.

6. Two new shows debut this year: Britmania in the Globe Theatre and Octoberzest in the Festhaus (the latter opens on March 31).

7. Concerts return to the park this year as part of the Summer NIghts series. Acts include .38 Special, Kool and the Gang, and Cassadee Pope and Chase Bryant (more to be announced later).

8. Alpengeist turns 20 years old this year; it's younger sibling, Griffon, turns 10.

Let's take a stroll around the park and see what's new--in addition to InvadR.
001.jpg
The entrance was a bit backed up at 9:45 am. Guess I should've left a little earlier. It took about 15 minutes to get through the line.
002.jpg
I amused myself watching test runs of Apollo's Chariot and Tempesto. The former was my first coaster of the season.
003.jpg
I like noticing little new touches, such as this overhang for the wheelchair-and-stroller-rental building.
003a.jpg
No more turnstiles at the park exit. They count exiting guests electronically now.
004.jpg
"Epic," eh? Much better than a more mundane quest, such as scoring a six pack or trying out a new breakfast cereal.
005.jpg
Looks like England has broken out with a severe case of Britmania. The new show isn't open yet, but you can see Elmo Rocks in the Globe Theatre.
006.jpg
This was the line for the park's annual presentation this year.
007.jpg
Just hanging out in the Globe, waiting for the festivities to begin.
008.jpg
Hmm--our first hint at what's coming in 2018.
009.jpg
Park President David Cromwell welcomes BGW passholders, after the Official Presidential Tossing of the T-Shirts. He a very nice, personable guy.
010.jpg
Let's see how well everyone follows instructions. Wait for it . . .
011.jpg
Yes, VR is coming to Ireland.
012.jpg
Helpful signage is, er, helpful.
013.jpg
Goodbye, Throw Up, I mean, Europe in the Air. At least Irish mythology is coming back to the simulator ride.
016.jpg
So, what about that "new level" of fries? Looks like a lot of people are interested. This is where the ice-cream parlor used to be.
017.jpg
Choose your favorite cholesterol-laced enhancements! The line for this stand was pretty long, but the staff got through it pretty quickly.
018.jpg
I tried the poutine and a nice pint of Alerwerks Chesapeake India Pale Ale. Both were quite nice. I'm intrigued by the Mediterranean-style fries with malt vinegar, feta cheese, and black olives.
019.jpg
"But what about InvadR? What's happening over there?" Your patience is about to be rewarded--stay tuned!
Last edited by cfc on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 am

Those mediterranean fries sure did catch my eyes
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 am

defrocker wrote:Does All for One not start until July? I didn't see any info on their website about it, but that's what the park prez made it sound like during passholder preview.

There was a sign posted on Big Ben, but I don't recall the date. It's part of the Summer Nights promotion.

So, how about some InvadR, eh?
020.jpg
Look, Larry--a sign!
021.jpg
This is the uber scary Viking war machine at the ride entrance, . . .
022.jpg
. . . and this is Magnus, an uber scary Viking dude! Look how daintily he handles his spear.
023.jpg
The theming for this ride is well done.
024.jpg
Here's the entrance plaza from a distance.
025.jpg
Behold the new skyline of Fort New France.
026.jpg
They've done a lot of work since the February hard-hat tour.
027.jpg
They area around the ride has been cleaned up nicely.
028.jpg
Let's not forget the left side of the railroad tracks.
029.jpg
I wonder what LeScoot thinks about its new neighbor?
030.jpg
A piece of an airtime hill and a bit of GCI twistiness.
031.jpg
Sorry about the goofy angle, but I wanted to show you the second tunnel.
032.jpg
Still needs a few finishing touches.
033.jpg
Here's what will greet you upon your return.
034.jpg
The station looks good, but I hope the Vikings can't get to the propane tank--that could be trouble.
036.jpg
The view from the bridge into Germany.
037.jpg
InvadR is coming for you, LeScoot! Looks like you'll need loggers and security guards.
038.jpg
Another look at the station. It really fits in well with Fort New France.
041.jpg
So, how about some operating coaster photos?
042.jpg
Alpengeist still isn't quite old enough to drink . . .
042a.jpg
. . . while Griffon is a precocious ten year old.
043.jpg
That's all from Passholder Preview Day. Thanks for reading.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 am

Yes, the fries, IPA and new stands during F&W piqued my interest as much as the thought of new InvadR pix. :lover:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!