TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I never actually realized that there would be a time when boomerangs would start to get removed just like the old schwartzkopf clones.

Me too. I'm ecstatic that Knott's decided to take out their POS Boomerang and repaint and refurbish their Schwarzkopf shuttle loop (which is a MUCH bigger pain to take care of, I imagine). Just goes to show that they really care about their unique classics.

Speaking of classics, is there any chance Sky Cabin's days are numbered as well? I know the "K" on top is considered an icon or whatever, but if that thing got removed too, we're talking about a decent plot of land to work with.

I thought I remembered hearing reports that the current execs do not like rotating rides.

There is a big difference between relocating rides and rotating rides. Rotating a ride means there was an intent from the beginning to move the ride at a later date.

Edited by larrygator

Wonderful news that Boomerang is leaving. I rode it a few times last year and didn't find it to be as unpleasant as other boomerangs I've ridden (which isn't saying much), but it's nice to see that Knotts recognizes that it's past its expiration. It does seem like that whole area has quite a bit of space, so I could certainly see something of decent size / scope replacing it. Maybe it's just because so many other areas of the park feel cramped, but that entire north west quadrant of the park feel awkwardly open and a bit barren.

I never actually realized that there would be a time when boomerangs would start to get removed just like the old schwartzkopf clones.

Me too. I'm ecstatic that Knott's decided to take out their POS Boomerang and repaint and refurbish their Schwarzkopf shuttle loop (which is a MUCH bigger pain to take care of, I imagine). Just goes to show that they really care about their unique classics.

Speaking of classics, is there any chance Sky Cabin's days are numbered as well? I know the "K" on top is considered an icon or whatever, but if that thing got removed too, we're talking about a decent plot of land to work with.

I keep seeing them work on Sky Cabin each week when I visit so it seems like they are trying to re-open it. If it were to be closed at the end of April for a new ride construction; I would think they would give up working on fixing the cabin so I am guessing the cabin isn't part of what is replacing Boomerang.

Personally, I would like to see them add a Polar Coaster with combination drop ride, observation tower, restaurant and relocate "K" to top the top of that tower; but, I think the unofficial former rumor was a B&M Dive Coaster or Hyper Coaster for replacing Boomerang.

It is nice that they got rid of Boomerang instead of Monte, and even if Boomerang doesn't find a home at another Cedar Fair Park; it could end up on a boat from Long Beach to somewhere in Asia. It might even look nice at Castle Park so I have more scenery while I pass by on the 91 freeway commute

I highly doubt a hyper or giga is coming anytime soon for this park.

Cedar Fair has their hands tied with two RMCs next year, a major hyper for CGA (which being in the same state hardens the blow for the hopes for KBF), Ziz for CW, and money being poured into Carowinds and CGA.

I can see maybe a new thrill ride complex in Boomerang's spot and its surroundings, but Knott's will likely have to wait awhile for that big new coaster. Which is a shame, because I really think you all deserve one.

^I think it's fair to assume that CGA will be getting a water park expansion/rebrand in 2018 since they get Patriot this year. I don't see the Hyper going there until 2019 or even 2020. There have been zero signs of "Ziz" at CW except for random rumors.

Not saying either one isn't possible next year, but Knott's is showing signs of something of decent size next year (whether it's a B&M or not) and CGA and CW are not as far as I know. Whether Knott's is adding a coaster, more flats, water ride, or whatever, they have something big coming in 2018, otherwise I don't see why they would close down Boomerang before the summer season (and it's actually a fairly popular ride).

Plus, Northern California and Southern California are basically two different states. I don't think a B&M Hyper up north will "harden the blow" for anything coming to SoCal and vice versa.

As for the rumors of a B&M hyper, will this even open up enough room? Boomerang occupied a very small footprint and I don't think they'd be able to fit a big coaster like that there unless they built it over everything like they did with Silver Bullet.

Odds are that it will be built over everything and then people will complain that it's an eyesore. Can anyone tell me if Grona Lund has the same problem?

Gröna Lund has a long tradition of having to get creative when it comes to space, so aesthetics doesn't seem to be as much of a concern. If Liseberg is the Disneyland of Sweden then Gröna Lund is the local county fair. No hate against county fairs, they usually have some crazy ass rides and you can get some amazing food but pretty they are not.

the 2017 Coaster Run event will be moved to Six Flags Magic Mountain because "Knott's Berry Farm told us that they had construction planned inside the park that would prevent the event from traveling through the property." With the event slated for April 2017, the timing is interesting as this could mean that Knott's has a very large project in store for 2018 if they will have construction under full swing by April 2017

While I don't take Screamscape as Gospel, I guess we know why now the event was switched to Magic Mountain. Like with RMC Mean Streak, I'm team KBF2018

the 2017 Coaster Run event will be moved to Six Flags Magic Mountain because "Knott's Berry Farm told us that they had construction planned inside the park that would prevent the event from traveling through the property." With the event slated for April 2017, the timing is interesting as this could mean that Knott's has a very large project in store for 2018 if they will have construction under full swing by April 2017

While I don't take Screamscape as Gospel, I guess we know why now the event was switched to Magic Mountain. Like with RMC Mean Streak, I'm team KBF2018

Yeah sorry but Screamscape is merely a fanboy site and does not generate actual news.

Cedar Fair has a yearly budget. They cannot spend whatever money they want. The two RMCs are going to take most of that budget, leaving the rest for a flat ride or two, some events, and park upgrades.

For 2018 I can see KBF getting a new flat ride and maybe their own version of Winterfest but a new coaster, let alone a large B&M, is just not possible with not one but two others coming in the chain.

Not only that but the land occupied by Boomerang and its surroundings is a very poor place to put a coaster. It's better to wait for other land to clear to put in a nice ride.

Yeah sorry but Screamscape is merely a fanboy site and does not generate actual news.

Cedar Fair has a yearly budget. They cannot spend whatever money they want. The two RMCs are going to take most of that budget, leaving the rest for a flat ride or two, some events, and park upgrades.

For 2018 I can see KBF getting a new flat ride and maybe their own version of Winterfest but a new coaster, let alone a large B&M, is just not possible with not one but two others coming in the chain.

Not only that but the land occupied by Boomerang and its surroundings is a very poor place to put a coaster. It's better to wait for other land to clear to put in a nice ride.

Have you seen Knott's skyline? They're masters at fitting things in. And for all we know RMC Mean Streak/Hurler might have come from the 2017 budget or split between 2016/2017/2018. Although I'm not 100% certain, I dont think they'd be in a rush to remove Boomerang in April for flat ride

I can't find it now but there was another California coaster site that had a rumor a couple of months ago about Boomerang being removed for a B&M Dive Coaster. Since Boomerang being removed came true; I am at least giving their rumor some chance of happening. Knott's could add coaster elements above the old splash down pool, Hammerhead's site, and down near Xcelerator. If they don't have the money in the budget for 2018, they could drag feet and not open until 2019.

It is just a thought. Speculation is all good and fun until you are eventually disappointed with the actual facts.

Have you seen Knott's skyline? They're masters at fitting things in. And for all we know RMC Mean Streak/Hurler might have come from the 2017 budget or split between 2016/2017/2018. Although I'm not 100% certain, I dont think they'd be in a rush to remove Boomerang in April for flat ride

Tell that to Canada's Wonderland who has cleared so much space a couple years ago yet Ziz still hasn't come (although I believe it will come eventually).

^^I worked at CW last season and it became clear very fast that most of the employees that have been there since SkyRider was removed knew about Ziz. Ziz was cancelled because the Canadian dollar took a tumble just as they were going to greenlight it. From what I understand, its still on the table....they're are just waiting for the dollar to make it actually worth it to build.

Tell that to Canada's Wonderland who has cleared so much space a couple years ago yet Ziz still hasn't come (although I believe it will come eventually).

Ziz?

Supposedly the name of the next coaster that Canada's Wonderland will receive. According to some legends, there's Behemoth--guardian of the Earth, Leviathan--guardian of the sea, and Ziz--guardian of the air. Behemoth and Leviathan already exist, Ziz is presumably next up.

But enough with CW, back to Knotts!

Plot twist: Knott's is getting Kanonen.

Seriously though, I'm pretty much ecstatic for any new addition if it meets this criteria:

1. Thrilling steel coaster

2. Focused on airtime

3. Good capacity

4. Aesthetically pleasing

Especially number 4. Boomerang was a piece of crap, but it sure was pretty to look at and had one of my favorite color schemes ever.

Plot twist: Knott's is getting Kanonen.

Seriously though, I'm pretty much ecstatic for any new addition if it meets this criteria:

1. Thrilling steel coaster

2. Focused on airtime

3. Good capacity

4. Aesthetically pleasing

Especially number 4. Boomerang was a piece of crap, but it sure was pretty to look at and had one of my favorite color schemes ever.

Given all the land they are clearing in a park that so tight for space, one can't help but think they are definitely gearing up for a new coaster addition. I think your list sums up my hopes for the park, but having a hyper or giga would be nice. I just don't know where they would put the thing.

My bet is actually on a B&M diver coaster. I know that many are not fan of this type of coaster but

1. the GP seems to still like them,

2. there is not one on the west coast,

3. it could fit in the land cleared

4. CP proved that they can be marketed very well

^I think a B&M Dive Coaster would be great as well. Of course, a B&M Hyper would be a much more "welcome" addition since it is a type of coaster seriously lacking on this side of the Mississippi (but I guess you could argue the same for a Dive), but given the space the park has to work with, I'm down for any high-capacity ride that isn't an orange family coaster. Seriously, Knott's, please, for the love of all that is holy, don't make this new ride orange... I think I will scream if I see another orange coaster in the park.

^I think a B&M Dive Coaster would be great as well. Of course, a B&M Hyper would be a much more "welcome" addition since it is a type of coaster seriously lacking on this side of the Mississippi (but I guess you could argue the same for a Dive), but given the space the park has to work with, I'm down for any high-capacity ride that isn't an orange family coaster. Seriously, Knott's, please, for the love of all that is holy, don't make this new ride orange... I think I will scream if I see another orange coaster in the park.

I'd rather have a B&M hyper than a dive coaster, but either would be a great addition to the park. Knott's hasn't added a "thrill" coaster since SB in 2004, so it's definitely time for a big thrilling new coaster. The park could really use another high capacity ride, so a B&M would fit the bill perfectly. But I just don't see them removing a popular coaster before the busy summer season unless it's to get a early start on the replacement's construction. Knott's is not taking out Boomerang to plant more grass, that's for sure.