TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Any rumors about where Kanonen could be going? Hopefully not to the junkyard - would love to see a small park like Sommerland Sjælland or perhaps BonBon Land going for this attraction!

I actually thought it would be operating the entire 2017 season, but I got the credit a couple of years ago so all is good!

Kanonen is sold to a amusement park. We will know which one, when the park announce it...

Kanonen was supposed to run the first two months of the summer season, but the restriction of access to Balder during the dismantle made Liseberg it remove it earlier.

/// Marcus

Edited by lond

aa.thumb.jpg.67aa6e5a7beed29a72e72b3f5f153be2.jpg

Looks like Intamin redid the ride. The old Gyro Swings have a much wider gap for the pendulum and motor of the ride. I like this new one better, reminds me of the Huss version which is better looking than the old version IMO.

a.jpg.aa2b86df550e986105cc78bed27d4ccd.jpg

I loved Kanonen! Always! I remember us getting a roll back on it too, which was fun considering

it wasn't that tall to begin with, lol. I hope it's found a good home, too.

UK061_LisebergJody_Kanonen.jpg.84af94f0f4a0e8dc6519ecc86305ca3d.jpg

Back in the day - Me and Jody loved Kanonen, in 2006. TPR UK Tour Add-On.

Huh... I realized we never posted a Kanonen video to our YouTube channel, so I've fixed that....

Personally, I loved this ride and hope it finds a new home. I realize I'm in the minority, but I found Kanonen's tight, snappy, airtime & hangtime filled layout way more impressive and interesting than Helix. I honestly don't understand what people see in Helix, but again, that's just me. I think it's probably my most "over-hyped" coaster I've ridden in the past decade. Not that Kanonen was an OMFG YOU NEED TO RIDE THIS RIDE NOW kind of ride, but I most certainly enjoyed it for what it was. Enjoy the video!

Huh... I realized we never posted a Kanonen video to our YouTube channel, so I've fixed that....

Personally, I loved this ride and hope it finds a new home. I realize I'm in the minority, but I found Kanonen's tight, snappy, airtime & hangtime filled layout way more impressive and interesting than Helix. I honestly don't understand what people see in Helix, but again, that's just me. I think it's probably my most "over-hyped" coaster I've ridden in the past decade. Not that Kanonen was an OMFG YOU NEED TO RIDE THIS RIDE NOW kind of ride, but I most certainly enjoyed it for what it was. Enjoy the video!

The first time I had heard of this ride was on one of your 'In The Raw' DVDs and thought it looked like a ton of fun. Tight, snappy and an array of elements in a really small space. Sad to see a cool looking Intamin get ripped out. Thanks for posting this video!

Kanonen 2005-2016

I began to work at the station of Kanonen in 2008. Wow, it was probably the best working place in Liseberg. We had so much fun!

You launched the train from the station and because of that you were always entertained by the guests. First you had reactions from the guests in the train, and then you had the reactions from the guests that were waiting on the station. So you know exactly who you could scare to make them scream like there was no tomorrow. And because of all the "dead time" when you had to be in the saftey zones, you had a lot of time when you could chat with your coworkers. Or joke with the guests

Even if Kanonen was the slowest of the Intamin launch coasters, it had a really powerful kick ass launch (0-75km/h in 1.8 seconds). Because of the short lenght of the launch, it felt much faster. If I compare with Furius Bacco at Port Aventura, I think that the launch at Kanonen was much better. Even if the top speed at Furius Bacco is 130km/h.

In 2011 I got the job as Head operator, which means that I sat in the control booth over the track and had the responsibility for what happens on the station. You could see everything from there. I had 5 screens for cameras over the area and 2 touch-screens. The touch screens were connected to the computer and I could actually solve a lot of things with that without calling for a mechanic or a electrician.

I have been told that the speed is controlled automatically on most launch coasters from Intamnin, but not Kanonen. It was I that controlled the speed for every train I sent away. I had two buttons on the screen that said "faster" and "slower". I also had a boost for empty train. (If I activated the boost, the screen was filled with a red blinking text saying "no passengers allowed")

So how did I know how to choose the right speed? Well, experince tought me. I looked at the train and tried to see if it was filled with bigger people (less speed) or with smaller people (more speed). But the weather was also important in my calculations. If it was a warm sunny day, the trains was running fast and I could use the same speed. If it was raining, cold or windy, well then I had to pay more attention on how the people looked like and maybe change the speed more often. And if the train wasn't filled, then I know for certain that I needed higher speed.

So did I ever got a rollback? Yes of course, it happens a few times every year. But the reason was almost always the wind or the oil pressure. And for every person that has experienced a rollback, you know that it is just an awesome feeling and not dangerous at all.

So why didn't we always use the maximum speed? Because of the compact layout. If the train passed the Tophat too fast, the experience in the rest of the track whould be very rough. So I had a speed target that was 2.2m/sec over the tophat. Most of my trains got over with a speed of 2.0-3.5 m/sec, but sometimes it was slower or faster. The fastest was for example when TPR visited us and I made a special train that had the speed of around 5m/sec over the TopHat

So even if Kanonen was a really popular ride to work at, the guests has not find it so interesting the last years. You have a great launch, but thats it. They think Helix is much funnier (even if Robb disagree with that opinion ) So I think it was the right time to replace it with something different, and I really looking forward to 2018 when Valkyria opens.

So what happens with Kanonen now? Well, it is sold and the new location will be outside Europe. I will not say where, it will be revealed when the time is right...

I left the Ride department last year and is now working with guestservice and are also guiding groups of enthusiasts and companys that are visiting the park. But I still had the opportunity to jump in a couple of times during the year and "shoot" some trains and that was allways fun. I have spent more than 8 seasons at that station and I have a lot of memories from those years. Like all of the dropped items I have found and collected under the track. Phones, keys, money, wallets, a fake breast(yes you heard me, a fake breast. And no one said that they had dropped one) knives, hearing aid, fruits, cameras, bottles, toys, etc. Yes, people are stupid...

Hope that that gives some fun info about Kanonen. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

379346289_SkojpKanonen.jpg.8e4ca31d006a6350e61182aa49acb770.jpg

During September-October there can be very few guests in the park. So we in the staff had to entertain ourselves between the trains. For example: Dance the Macarena, have a race in who can unbuckle the safteybelts in the shortest time, or just put your collegue in a seat and let her sit there for a couple of minutes... ;)

558963809_JagpKanonen2010.jpg.216173e6dce4ea5dcadf00032336fd24.jpg

This is back in 2010 and describes the good atmosphere among the staff the minutes before we open for the guests. (be aware of the older restraints! We had 3 versions, and this was the first year with version 2. The 3rd restraint model was actually improving the ride experience a lot. But the space for the head was smaller which was a problem for people with glasses or big heads when they pulled it up or down...)

1000912236_Sistatget.jpg.54dfb5508a09418ba37a289b7f6b8814.jpg

December 30 2016. Me in the control booth just after sending away one of the last trains ever. (think it was two more trains after this before we closed) I wish that every control booth was as good as this one. Big screens, great view, easy to reach everything you need.

^^What an awesome post! Very interesting to hear how you control the speed of the ride. And yes, Kanonen has a very powerful launch. Far superior to for example Speedmonster! I'll admit that the rest of the ride I wasn't the biggest fan of. Don't get me wrong, I always had fun on Kanonen, but during my recent visits it became a ride I would ride once and that was it. I remember when it opened in 2005 it was something new and exciting, since it was the first launched coaster in Scandinavia. I hope it can find a new home in a smaller park where it can regain the status it once had as a major rollercoaster.

^^^^ Hey Pontus, you got yourself a new tie!

Thanks for sharing stuff about Kanonen. Great stuff.

401688089_ResizeofIMG_5392.JPG.4844d4db502d6fc9133745e14ebeb1e7.JPG

You, in the middle of all those wierdos. With your blue tie on. The TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

^^^^^ Så jatte cool to read about the life of an Intamin operator! Thanks for sharing!

And nice to hear the ride itself is sold, I'm sad to see it going outside of Europe, was hoping for a Danish park to buy it, but hey I got the credit Do you by any chance know how expensive this ride was to buy as a park?? And do you know if they'll make any further improvements on it?

I agree with most of you, the launch was brilliant and very forceful, the rest of the ride kinda standard twisty layout, but a nice ride. I do like Helix, even though the launches disappointed me a lot. It still has some nice moments and interacts in a beautiful way with the mountain. Is it the greatest steel coaster in Europe - No!

Can't wait to re-visit this wonderful park in the middle of Göteborg in 2018, with Loke, Valkyria, and hopefully a heavily themed new Norse area!