Photo TR: California Dreamin' Round 2

Six Flags Magic Mountain posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: California Dreamin' Round 2

Postby tanthonyam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Yeah I was not happy either when I found out you could only get 1 time Flash pass usage on X2, YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus. Pretty shitty after paying all that money. That is why I prefer Cedar Fair parks front of the line access upcharge better. No restrictions!!! Unlimited. Do any of the other SF parks do this? Or is it just SFMM??

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby TBpony414 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:21 am

Since we will only be there for 1 day and they close at 8pm we'll be getting the Platinum FP in order to make sure we get on everything. We will be driving from Las Vegas so getting up at o'dark thirty to be there for park opening. Learning that they only allow a single ride all day on 5 coasters and X2 is an uncharge does leave a sour taste in my mouth but at least I know beforehand. A friend who works at Universal (where I'll be going the following day) said it's spring break the weekend I'll be there so I'm expecting huge crowds as it'll be a Saturday and then Sunday at Universal, but maybe the coaster gods will be on my side at MM.

At Great Adventure they have The Joker 4D coaster available only on Platinum. Not sure if it's a single ride all day like MM or if you can re-reserve it but there are no upcharges for any rides. If you get the Platinum pass though you don't get to ride twice in a row without getting up on Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka due to low capacity, however you can just re-reserve it and walk around to ride it again. Everything else you can ride as much as you want. We only did Platinum once at Halloween, otherwise have made out very well with Gold. Driving all the way up from DC 1-2x/yr we try to make it worth the trip and tolls lol.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 pm

tanthonyam wrote:Yeah I was not happy either when I found out you could only get 1 time Flash pass usage on X2, YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus. Pretty shitty after paying all that money. That is why I prefer Cedar Fair parks front of the line access upcharge better. No restrictions!!! Unlimited. Do any of the other SF parks do this? Or is it just SFMM??

Six Flags Over Georgia had an upcharge on Dare Devil Dive, but other than that I haven't seen any other 1 time only or upcharges at Six Flags. The more common thing they do is not allowing platinum rerides, which they do on SFNE's Superman and Wicked Cyclone.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Knott's Berry Farm

The last visit of the trip was to Knott's Berry Farm. Since I needed to catch an evening flight back home, I only had a half day at the park but it was enough to get one ride on all the major rides. The real reason for my return visit was to try the newly renovated GhostRider. When I visited in 2014, GhostRider was closed for offseason maintenance and by most accounts, it was a rough and uncomfortable coaster. The GCI retracking worked wonders for this coaster.

GhostRider- GhostRider was closed all morning and by the time it opened, I could only get one ride since it had a 90 minute wait. I got one ride in the backseat and came away very impressed with the coaster. I loved the layout and how well the ride maintained its speed all through the course. Most of the drops gave pops of air with the taller ones in the first half being particularly noteworthy. The ride was also glass smooth. I really wish I could have gotten a night ride or a second ride, but the rest of the park knew how well the ride was running. 9 out of 10

Xcelerator- The first Intamin accelerator coaster is arguably the most intense. I've been on Top Thrill Dragster, Kingda Ka, and Storm Runner, but Xcelerator's launch beats them all. The force from that launch causes a stomach dropping sensation the others can't match. The top hat provides excellent air-time and the final two turns are fast and fun. 9 out of 10

Silver Bullet- The worst of the B&M inverts is still a very good ride. The layout is pretty funky compared to other inverts, but the ride is glass smooth and includes some great parts such as the zero-G roll, overbanked turn, and finale over the water. I just wish the ride wasn't such an eyesore at the front of the park. 8 out of 10

Sierra Sidewinder- This ride really took me by surprise in my 2014 visit and I was eager to reride it. Sierra Sidewinder was still awesome. Despite its unassuming looks, this coaster is a really intense little ride. The spinning pulls some serious Gs and keeps the whole layout pretty disorienting. I would love to see more of these coasters pop up. 8 out of 10

Montezooma's Revenge- This is still one of the funniest names for a coaster since it can also describe my bowel movements after eating food at Six Flags. I don't care that this coaster is short since its a great ride with the launch and forceful loop. I hope Knott's keeps this coaster around. 8 out of 10

Timberline Twister- I thought I was being a credit whore going on this coaster, but it was actually a surprisingly good coaster. Despite only being like 15-20 feet tall, it provided more coaster than a certain hyper coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. All of the little hills had some really good airtime. Sure the vehicles were a little tight to get into, but I found this coaster to be a real surprise. 7 out of 10

Jaguar- I enjoy this coaster's layout and how it tours the front of the park. Relatively tame but a good since it never seems to have a line. 6 out of 10

I missed out on a Pony Express reride since it was closed. I skipped Boomerang and Coast Rider since I already rode them in 2014.

Other than the coasters, I went on the Timber Mountain Log Flume (still the best non-Disney or Universal flume), Voyage to the Iron Reef (fun but would prefer practical sets), and the Calico Mine Ride (just ok but glad they had it open this time).
GhostRider from the Parking Lot (Train).JPG
Hello newly renovated GhostRider.
GhostRider Entrance.JPG
I only got one ride due to a 90 minute wait, but the ride was excellent. Fast and smooth with solid floater air on most hills. I loved the layout.
Xcelerator Tophat (Front).JPG
The park's other star attraction, Xcelerator.
Xcelerator Turn 2.JPG
Xcelerator's launch feels more intense than its taller brothers.
Xcelerator.JPG
I can only imagine how intense Dodonpa's launch must feel.
Silver Bullet Cobra Roll.JPG
I'm sorry but Silver Bullet is an eyesore in my opinion.
Silver Bullet Corkscrew.JPG
Weakest B&M invert I've been on, but it's still a very good ride.
Sierra Sidewinder Turn.JPG
Sierra Sidewinder is much better than it looks. The spinning pulls some serious Gs.
Jaguar Entrance.JPG
The entrance makes me miss Legends of the Hidden Temple.
Jaguar.JPG
Tame but a nice coaster to tour the front section of the park.
Fried Chicken.JPG
No visit to Knott's is complete without a visit to the fried chicken restaurant.
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby gardyloo! » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:47 am

I wonder of FT will allow unlimited reservations on the gold pass when Justic League opens. Seems the fair thing to do but, we all know that SF MM ain't the fairest park when it comes to their fast pass options.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 am

gardyloo! wrote:I wonder of FT will allow unlimited reservations on the gold pass when Justic League opens. Seems the fair thing to do but, we all know that SF MM ain't the fairest park when it comes to their fast pass options.

When I visited SFGAm last summer, I got a Platinum FP and I was allowed 2 reservations on JL. (It was the only ride in the whole park that had a reservation limit.) Given SFMM's track record with new rides, I would expect some kind of FP limitation for JL. In fact, I would bet that JL reservations would be limited to Platinum FPs for the first year like they did with Yolo and TC.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:52 am

I agree that Knott's log ride is best one out there--I like it more than the Splash Mountain rides. I found Voyage to the Iron Reef to be a pleasant surprise (better than I'd anticipated).

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby beenagins87 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 am

gardyloo! wrote:I wonder of FT will allow unlimited reservations on the gold pass when Justic League opens. Seems the fair thing to do but, we all know that SF MM ain't the fairest park when it comes to their fast pass options.

I visited SFOG last week and even though JL isn't open yet, it was still on the flash pass and it was good for only one reservation.
Coasters: 96 66 Steel, 30 Wood)

Top 5 Wood: 1 Lightning Rod 1B) Beast at night 2. Goliath 3. The Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. American Thunder

Top 5 Steel: 1. I305 2. Goliath ( SFOG) 3. TN Tornado 4. V2 5. Batman: The Ride

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 pm

cfc wrote:I agree that Knott's log ride is best one out there--I like it more than the Splash Mountain rides. I found Voyage to the Iron Reef to be a pleasant surprise (better than I'd anticipated).

While I prefer physical props for shooters, the one positive about the video is that all of the "targets" worked. A few of the ones I rode this past year (Lake Compounce's, Kings Island's, Carowinds) had a lot of targets that weren't responding.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!