TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

All these 3D screen based attractions, I'm surprised Universal has yet to jump on the VR bandwagon.

Likely because they haven't found a way to work around the logistical/capacity nightmare VR brings.

I think they had a VR-based maze during Halloween Horror Nights last year.

Edited by cfc

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the jimmy fallon talk, but I'm headed to the parks tomorrow and I've heard some pretty bad things about the metal detectors for rides. I usually just put my phone and wallet in my button pocket, do they let you do this, or do you have to use some sort of system for storing them?

Thanks for anything you can help me with!

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the jimmy fallon talk, but I'm headed to the parks tomorrow and I've heard some pretty bad things about the metal detectors for rides. I usually just put my phone and wallet in my button pocket, do they let you do this, or do you have to use some sort of system for storing them?

You have to put everything in a locker on the roller coasters...it sucks...

There will be lockers near the entrance to the rides, but it's usually a clusterf---, especially by dragon challenge.

You have to put everything in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo on the roller coasters...it sucks...

There will be fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the entrance to the rides, but it's usually a clusterf---, especially by dragon challenge.

That's what I was afraid of...are they free? I doubt it

You have to put everything in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo on the roller coasters...it sucks...

There will be fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the entrance to the rides, but it's usually a clusterf---, especially by dragon challenge.

They're free for the first hour, then I believe it's $3.00 for every 30 minutes past that.

Yes, the 1ockers are free for a certain period of time, which gets adjusted for the wait time of the rides. But they are very strict with the metal detectors on the coasters, you can't even have change in your pockets. So just put everything in the 1ocker so you don't get denied at the metal detector.

Yes, the 1ockers are free for a certain period of time, which gets adjusted for the wait time of the rides. But they are very strict with the metal detectors on the coasters, you can't even have change in your pockets. So just put everything in the 1ocker so you don't get denied at the metal detector.

Watches, jewelry, necklaces?

They're free for the first hour, then I believe it's $3.00 for every 30 minutes past that.

It is a little more complex than just free for an hour. The length of time they are free is based on the line length for where it is located. If the ride has a short line then the locker will be free for an hour. If the line is 2 hours long it will be free for 3+ hours.

I HATE this locker rule! At any park. They did it when we were about to enter Sheikra at Busch Gardens. I'm going to sound nuts saying this but get this. You are really really really itchy to ride some coasters,but oops! the guy who stands at the ques say "nope you need to put that stuff in a locker!" so you have to find said lockers,and find to see them crowded. You then have to wait for it to clear out so you can get into one. It gets worse! You and everyone with you has no change and the dollar-to-change machine either has a long line or isnt even working at all. So you go around the park asking random people for change. No guests have any so you have to go into a store and ask the person working there. Finally you get the change and go to the locker hoping its not congested again. Then you have to shove all your stuff in those tiny tiny lockers. You could leave all your stuff at your car but when you need it you will have to walk to the parking lot each time! By the time you get back to the coaster its like 30 or so people lined up already....It makes me go crazy as the coasters are there yet so far away...Its like a drug addict looking right at his stash but being told not to smoke it yet...Its also why I hate when the people I'm with take 5 minutes to pee! I havent had the balls yet to tell my friend off for taking so long i just drop hints like "I was outside waiting for you and I thought you actually left me" I'd drop subtle hints each time she is taking 'till Christmas but never gets the hint. Might be blunt next time ok rant over!

Watches, jewelry, necklaces?

The smart thing to do would be to not wear any of those to the park.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone asked to take off jewelry, but it would just be better to leave it in the 1ocker.

You and everyone with you has no change and the dollar-to-change machine either has a long line or isnt even working at all. So you go around the park asking random people for change. No guests have any so you have to go into a store and ask the person working there.

It makes me go crazy as the coasters are there yet so far away...Its like a drug addict looking right at his stash but being told not to smoke it yet...

Its also why I hate when the people I'm with take 5 minutes to pee! I havent had the balls yet to tell my friend off for taking so long i just drop hints like "I was outside waiting for you and I thought you actually left me" I'd drop subtle hints each time she is taking 'till Christmas but never gets the hint. Might be blunt next time ok rant over!

Well don't you sound like a fun person to hang out with...

^what? All because I'm a little impatient? Besides that I LOVE to have fun. Its not like im a compete sick in the mud....Yea my idea of fun may not be going to the clubs or going to some house party to smoke pot but I still like to do stuff that many other people will enjoy. Like amusement parks,carnivals,the beach,waterparks,arcades,the mall,site seeing,doing tourist attractions,exploring the city,going out to eat, drinking one in a while,going camping,traveling,etc. Its just at an amusement park you only have so much time in a day...heck in a weekend! The less time we waste the more time we have to do fun things. You are loosing precious time when you have to hunt down people for change or making sure all the wrinkles in your shirt are invisible, as much as possible ,after you had to "mess up your clothes" when you had to use the toilet. See where Im going here?

They are pretty hard core about it too, and the walk through detectors seem to be hit or miss. I rode Dragon Challenge several times back to back. I had everything in a locker, but my belt buckle would set off the detector....sometimes. Then other times it wouldn't. Each time it did, I had to get hand-wanded. So annoying. And side note, nothing really jars you out of the theming of a ride like having to go through a metal detector and/or getting wanded.

Speaking to how hard core they are about it, I forgot that I had chapstick in my pocket at one point when getting on Rip, Ride, Rockit. It didn't set off the detector, but the guy saw it poking through my pocket (I know I know I missed a great opportunity for a "that's not chapstick" joke) and made me go back out of line and put it in a locker. I mean really, CHAPSTICK?

I hate when the people I'm with take 5 minutes to pee! I havent had the balls yet to tell my friend off for taking so long i just drop hints like "I was outside waiting for you and I thought you actually left me" I'd drop subtle hints each time she is taking 'till Christmas but never gets the hint. Might be blunt next time ok rant over!

Sometimes there are no words...

I HATE this fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rule! At any park. They did it when we were about to enter Sheikra at Busch Gardens. I'm going to sound nuts saying this but get this. You are really really really itchy to ride some coasters,but oops! the guy who stands at the ques say "nope you need to put that stuff in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo!" so you have to find said fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo,and find to see them crowded. You then have to wait for it to clear out so you can get into one. It gets worse! You and everyone with you has no change and the dollar-to-change machine either has a long line or isnt even working at all. So you go around the park asking random people for change. No guests have any so you have to go into a store and ask the person working there. Finally you get the change and go to the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo hoping its not congested again. Then you have to shove all your stuff in those tiny tiny fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. You could leave all your stuff at your car but when you need it you will have to walk to the parking lot each time! By the time you get back to the coaster its like 30 or so people lined up already....It makes me go crazy as the coasters are there yet so far away...Its like a drug addict looking right at his stash but being told not to smoke it yet...Its also why I hate when the people I'm with take 5 minutes to pee! I havent had the balls yet to tell my friend off for taking so long i just drop hints like "I was outside waiting for you and I thought you actually left me" I'd drop subtle hints each time she is taking 'till Christmas but never gets the hint. Might be blunt next time ok rant over!
^what? All because I'm a little impatient? Besides that I LOVE to have fun. Its not like im a compete sick in the mud....Yea my idea of fun may not be going to the clubs or going to some house party to smoke pot but I still like to do stuff that many other people will enjoy. Like amusement parks,carnivals,the beach,waterparks,arcades,the mall,site seeing,doing tourist attractions,exploring the city,going out to eat, drinking one in a while,going camping,traveling,etc. Its just at an amusement park you only have so much time in a day...heck in a weekend! The less time we waste the more time we have to do fun things. You are loosing precious time when you have to hunt down people for change or making sure all the wrinkles in your shirt are invisible, as much as possible ,after you had to "mess up your clothes" when you had to use the toilet. See where Im going here?

raw.gif.b8f6f75dc408428dcf9a1f5ca82bc7e9.gif

what? All because I'm a little impatient? Besides that I LOVE to have fun. Its not like im a compete sick in the mud....Yea my idea of fun may not be going to the clubs or going to some house party to smoke pot but I still like to do stuff that many other people will enjoy. Like amusement parks,carnivals,the beach,waterparks,arcades,the mall,site seeing,doing tourist attractions,exploring the city,going out to eat, drinking one in a while,going camping,traveling,etc. Its just at an amusement park you only have so much time in a day...heck in a weekend! The less time we waste the more time we have to do fun things. You are loosing precious time when you have to hunt down people for change or making sure all the wrinkles in your shirt are invisible, as much as possible ,after you had to "mess up your clothes" when you had to use the toilet. See where Im going here?

I have a recommendation to make the whole FFBFWMAG process easier for guests: Put all of your stuff in a fanny pack so you only have one thing to put into/take out of the FFBFWMAG.

I do feel that it is overkill to have metal detectors at every major coaster especially since there are metal detectors at the entrances to CityWalk. Do the other Florida parks have metal detectors at the entrances of queue lines?

Do the other Florida parks have metal detectors at the entrances of queue lines?

No, because it's asinine.

Rule of thumb: love the park, hate the system.

Agree with you 110%! Hulk is still my #2 overall coaster while Dragon Challenge and Mummy sit not far outside my top 10

Do the other Florida parks have metal detectors at the entrances of queue lines?

No, because it's asinine.

Rule of thumb: love the park, hate the system.

Naaah, I'll go ahead and hate the park. No one's forcing them to use that system.