TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ Personally i have always found that walk way to be a little bland and boring. I think that it is the perfect part of the park to add a couple of traditional family flat rides to. A tilt 'a' whirl or wipeout for example could fit in easily and be themed to fit Timber Canyon quite nicely if done right. (Which Dollywood would most certainly do) Widening the path will be a plus in every way i can think of, but adding a queue line or two along the way would help human traffic jamming more then anything else in my opinion.

^ Personally i have always found that walk way to be a little bland and boring.

It's just a nice relaxing stroll, at least on the not so busy days that I'm typically there.

And it harkens to a different era of the park. Like life, it seamed simpler then.

Maybe add a separate path for those just wanting the fastest route from A to B. But DW isn't about fast paced A - B movement like so many other parks.

I've always liked the walk up to Timber Canyon, but in recent years (especially after Wild Eagle was added), the walk way has had a tendency to get jammed.

I wish they would liven up the connector they added several years back that bridged Timber Canyon with Craftsmen's Valley/Tennessee Tornado. It feels pretty bland, adding FireChaser helped, but it's still a dull walk. That said, I'm not complaining they added it, it was a pain walking all the way to the other side of the park for TT. I'm no t really sure how they could make it better, but it needs foliage or something.

The one section he talks about is very dull.. they don't even put Christmas lights up there and music is on/off there.. but I am glad there is a connector so that I don't have to walk around lol!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Near the end of May my wife and I are taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina (can't wait to ride Swamp Fox!), and in the routing back home we've allowed for a full day's visit to Dollywood....on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. Yes, I'm guessing that's probably one of the worst days we could pick to try and do the coasters but hey, it was either that or not visit and I desperately want to ride Lightning Rod!

Assuming we get to the park as soon as it opens, any tricks or routes I should follow? This will be our first trip to the park.

^Arrive early if possible. The morning is a great time at the park. Buy Time Saver. Go to Lightning Rod first because honestly you need to ride it immediately if it is open in case it goes down. The other rides in the park are all very reliable.

DO NOT MISS Mountain Slidewinder. All of the water attractions are great but that is an awesome and unique ride.

I would suggest trying Splash Country because it is one of the nicest water parks anywhere and the water coaster is very good (along with many other slides) but if you only have a day that is probably out of the question.

If you can extend the trip, two days is really ideal. Also, the park offers a heck of a deal on the 2 Park 3 Day ticket.

Near the end of May my wife and I are taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina (can't wait to ride Swamp Fox!), and in the routing back home we've allowed for a full day's visit to Dollywood....on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. Yes, I'm guessing that's probably one of the worst days we could pick to try and do the coasters but hey, it was either that or not visit and I desperately want to ride Lightning Rod!

Assuming we get to the park as soon as it opens, any tricks or routes I should follow? This will be our first trip to the park.

Stay late as well if possible.. I go in the evenings a lot and even on the busiest days, the last hour or so is a good time to grab a lot of rides on the coasters.. the lines are fairly short then

But, depending on where they plan to soot fireworks, some of the coasters might close during the fireworks

Just found out I don't have work opening weekend. I know opening day is the 18th, but where is the info on season passholders for the 17th? Any tips for opening weekend?

I called last week, the 17th is for pass-holders only. Evidently all rides and even shows will be operating. I've never been on an exclusive passholder day, so I can't speak for what the crowds may look like. I'm planning on visiting nonetheless, if it's crowded I may return the 19th.

Also, it doesn't seem to be something they advertise heavily. It's noted under the printable version of the yearly calendar which can be found here.

I called last week, the 17th is for pass-holders only. Evidently all rides and even shows will be operating. I've never been on an exclusive passholder day, so I can't speak for what the crowds may look like.

I've been for the passholder day a few times. All rides up and and most shows though limited schedule. Usually not very busy.

Also, it doesn't seem to be something they advertise heavily.

Usually​ email ads to passholders, but closer to opening weekend. It's really aimed at locals who only need a few days notice.

But it's always the Friday before official opening day (Saturday).

I called last week, the 17th is for pass-holders only. Evidently all rides and even shows will be operating. I've never been on an exclusive passholder day, so I can't speak for what the crowds may look like.

I've been for the passholder day a few times. All rides up and and most shows though limited schedule. Usually not very busy.

Also, it doesn't seem to be something they advertise heavily.

Usually​ email ads to passholders, but closer to opening weekend. It's really aimed at locals who only need a few days notice.

But it's always the Friday before official opening day (Saturday).

Good to know! Thanks. I consider myself a local, but in recent years I've waited until May or June to buy passes.

It looks like from everything on the website including the height requirement for 2017 that the Sideshow Spin Kiddy Coaster will not be returning for this season. This should help open that part of the park up a little! I do wonder why they are taking it out?

IMG_0791.thumb.PNG.21a66b34e167140a21538b5d2861b423.PNG

Edited by Djwadeknox

This should help open that park of the park up a little! I do wonder why they are taking it out?

While that portion of the park is obviously necessary, it's my firm belief that it's complete and utter garbage. Anything they do to improve it would be much appreciated.

It looks like from everything on the website including the height requirement for 2017 that the Sideshow Spin Kiddy Coaster will not be returning for this season. This should help open that part of the park up a little! I do wonder why they are taking it out?

It's very similar in design to Whistle Punk Chaser is my guess.. that area is due for another renovation and removing sideshow spin will open room for another flat there..

The entire "fair' area has gone almost all kiddy and I feel Dollywood can do a much better job making it feel like a fair and by putting some rides that are a little more extreme fair rides.. yes, kids need rides to but I hardly ever visit that area anymore.. a good mix of rides is needed there