Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 157: Rivers of Light opens on February 17th, 2017!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thr

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 am

^Somewhere out there I saw that the ride vehicles might hold two people per banshee or something, and the theaters look huge with multiple levels so I'm sure capacity will be sufficient. I'm probably more excited about the river journey attraction than the Flight of Passage, love me a boat ride.

Somewhere on Twitter yesterday I saw a picture of the bio-luminescence stuff testing near the entrance pathway and it looked pretty incredible, even in a crappy picture taken in the daylight.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby cookiex » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 am

I don't think Disney would build an E-ticket with super-low capacity, especially in a park with few rides to begin with.
| Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken | Battlestar Galactica (Cylon) |

Coaster count: 81

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:10 am

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/rivers-of-light-officially-opens-february-17-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

For more than a year, Disney’s Animal Kingdom has continued its evolution to a day-to-night park by introducing a rich variety of new nighttime experiences – from Kilimanjaro Safaris after sunset and fine dining at Tiffins, to the vibrant entertainment at the Harambe Wildlife Parti and Discovery Island Carnivale. And when the Tree of Life awakens after dark, it is truly a sight to behold!

Today, we’re happy to announce one of the park’s newest nighttime experiences, “Rivers of Light,” will make its official debut on February 17.

Continuing the grand Disney tradition of innovative, after-dark entertainment, “Rivers of Light” combines live performance, floating set pieces, a soaring musical score, fountains and more in a celebration of animals and nature. The story magically unfolds on the broad natural stage of the Discovery River, conveying the uplifting spirit of an ancient and timeless lantern ceremony and filled with symbolism, storytelling and plenty of heart.

To make dining or FastPass+ reservations for this new show, visit MyDisneyExperience.com or the My Disney Experience app.

And don’t forget that the next step in the expansion of Disney’s Animal Kingdom – the grand debut of Pandora – The World of Avatar – will take place on May 27, 2017.

Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog, as we share more details on what’s new and what’s next for Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

nrolrut85764697.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/reservations-open-today-for-rivers-of-light-dining-package-debuting-february-17-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

“Rivers of Light,” the new nighttime show that debuts February 17 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, will wow guests with live performers, a soaring musical score, grand theatrical imagery and innovative water special effects that celebrate the relationship between animals and nature. The new show comes to life on select nights after dark on the Discovery River between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest.

The park’s culinary team is working on special dining packages at both Tiffins and Tusker House Restaurant to add to the special evening.

Similar to the popular “Fantasmic!” Dining Packages at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the “Rivers of Light” Dining Package includes reserved seating at the new show. At all-you-care-to-eat Tusker House, you can choose the breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet on the day of the show (but you have to dine at least 2 ½ hours before the show). Breakfast is $37, $23 ages 3 to 9, plus tax and gratuity; lunch and dinner, $49, $30 ages 3 to 9, plus tax and gratuity. Tusker House Restaurant is on the Disney Dining Plan and counts as one table-service meal.

At Tiffins, “Rivers of Light” Dining Packages are available at both lunch and dinner. Choose your favorite appetizer, entrée, dessert plus a non-alcoholic beverage. Dining must take place at least two and a half hours prior to showtime. Cost is $67, $32 ages 3 to 9 plus tax and gratuity. Tiffins accepts the Disney Dining Plan, and counts as two table-service meal entitlements.

Reservations are now open and can be made by visiting DisneyWorld.com/dining or calling 407-WDW-DINE.

0520Tiffins119.jpg
0520ZUtiffins0.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/visitpandora-com-your-portal-to-pandora-the-world-of-avatar/

vpws47858967.png

Have you ever dreamed of exploring Pandora – The World of Avatar coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom later this spring?

Well, now is your chance with VisitPandora.com.

Guests of VisitPandora.com can learn about the floating mountains, flying banshees and other flora and animals of the exotic world.

VisitPandora.com was created by Alpha Centauri Expeditions (ACE), the exclusive provider of tours to Pandora – The World of Avatar – taking you inside this extraordinary environment – up close and personal.

Visiting this site, you can see first-hand how the team at ACE can transport you to Pandora to check-out the experiences that await you there.

In addition, you also will be able to get more information about travel to Pandora through Visit Pandora’s Twitter and Instagram accounts. There ACE’s field experts, scientists and others from the land sharing photos and videos of their expeditions.

And coming soon to VisitPandora.com will be your official ACE “experts,” who will take questions from guests about their future journeys through Pandora.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information about Pandora: The World of Avatar. We’ll bring you the latest updates from VisitPandora.com.

If you’re wondering – how do they do it? Well, that’s proprietary.

But, the result, is a breathtaking journey to another world!
ace239857124.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am

Looks like I have until Memorial Day Weekend to actually see Avatar. ;)
Last edited by cfc on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby djmadmanray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 am

It's about time, but we're looking forward to it!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Cj1990 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:00 am

I am still confused what the Banshee attraction will be. I have been thinking it's just a simulator similar to Soarin'. It sounds interesting if you're on a vehicle similar to Tron. I'm curious to see images or hear about what the experience is like.

Edit... I did a google search for the attraction and I fully understand it now. Some interesting images. I'm hoping they do in fact have multiple theatres for this to allow for high capacity lol.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Looks like Disney did a preview show for the "Social Media Moms":

As someone who actually likes World of Color, this looks incredibly boring. It's like they took World of Color, made it slower, and took out all the energy, excitement, and spectacle (except for the last minute or so). Yes, the floats themselves are somewhat technologically impressive, but they get lost in the scale of the lagoon. It's hard to believe that this came from the same entertainment group that did Fantasmic and Illuminations (or, for that matter, Disney Dreams! and Ignite the Dream in Paris and Shanghai).

No one goes to Illuminations just for the Globe segment.

It's only a sneak peak, so I suppose that it could be tweaked before the official opening, but I doubt they can do anything in the next week that they wouldn't have done in the last 10 months since the originally scheduled opening.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Oh no! I'm literally going to be at Disney the week before the official opening :-(

What are the chances of soft openings?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 am

tuxedomask5432 wrote:Oh no! I'm literally going to be at Disney the week before the official opening :-(

What are the chances of soft openings?

It will be a crapshoot. Historically, Disney tends to do soft openings...but your visit may also coincide with a private preview for cast members, media, etc. too.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby cookiex » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:41 am

I would say expect it to be closed, see it as an added bonus if it is open. Like Jew said, soft openings are a crapshoot.
| Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken | Battlestar Galactica (Cylon) |

Coaster count: 81

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!