TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I prefer Mako to Manta but I'm more of a fan of hyper coasters than inverting coasters in general. Manta is still a fantastic coaster though and my favorite flyer (haven't ridden Tatsu yet) but I was really, really impressed with Mako's first half.

To give some perspective...

Out of 10 (5 being average), if Mako is an 8, Manta's a 7 and Kraken's a 5.5.

I prefer Mako to Manta but I'm more of a fan of hyper coasters than inverting coasters in general. Manta is still a fantastic coaster though and my favorite flyer (haven't ridden Tatsu yet) but I was really, really impressed with Mako's first half.

To give some perspective...

Out of 10 (5 being average), if Mako is an 8, Manta's a 7 and Kraken's a 5.5.

I have to agree to that as well. Inverting coasters are a lot of fun but I think hyper coasters are far more fun. Hypers and Gigas(only though i only been on one) are my favorite type of coaster. So while I do enjoy inversions a lot,I think steep tall drops and intense air time is a lot more fun!

I had a front-row lap on Kraken the other day and wow, was that ride battersome. Usually, the front row is the beacon of hope on even the worst rides, but yikes, there was jack-hammering all over that track. I hope that it gets some much-needed TLC when the VR gets installed. It's a solid ride that deserves some care.

But hey! There's always Mako. I have to say, that ride is growing on me. I feel like sitting near the front is practically mandatory to get the most out of the ride, but it's certainly a nice addition to the park and Orlando in general.

the B&M rattle was bad, and the whole ride was really... tame.

Kraken... tame? What?? Granted i haven't been on it the last 3 years, I rode that thing at least 100 times and I would never consider it tame.

As far as the rattle, just go to Seaworld during the viva la musica festival, close your eyes, and pretend you are in a Mariachi band.

c7da3313f173fb692b01c478da13345a.gif

^Im actually in Florida now.(i've been in Florida since the 15th of this month and will be here until Feb 17th.Getting away from the Chicago winter for a while!) Its pretty warm here. Almost seems like summer However I know the weather tends to vary here. I heard its suppose to get cooler here next week and I dont know how it will be when I go to Seaworld. Still Im sure Kraken will be a lot fun of regardless. Plus we will be there during the day.

I heard its suppose to get cooler here next week and I dont know how it will be when I go to Seaworld. Still Im sure Kraken will be a lot fun of regardless. Plus we will be there during the day.

Yes. It will be fun regardless. Temperatures can affect coaster speed but it's not as noticeable on rides that don't have airtime hills to be honest. Kraken doesn't have as much speed variability as other rides.

So I just got back from my amazing Orlando trip and Seaworld being one of my visits.

Mako: B&M hypers are my favorite style coasters, and yes, from time to time, I understand how they "lack" intensity... Of course Mako doesn't have an amazing layout, BUT, after riding it, I was blown away. The airtime is by FAR the best out of any of the other B&M hypers I've ridden, which besides Mako are Raging Bull, Diamondback, Behemoth, Goliath SFoG. My first ride I sat in the front row and was shocked by the ejector air, nothing extreme, but much more than floater... and that First overbanked turn coming out of the first drop was great. My second ride was last row, of course the airtime on the back row is always that great "yank over the top" airtime, but I personally thought the airtime in the front row was better.

Kraken: after reading reviews and the opinions of many on here, I will say this. It wasn't a great coaster but definitely decent. I liked the layout, pacing, and transitions, but of course because of its age, it was a tad rough, but not bad by any means. I guess the reason I liked it more than others is because it was my first floorless.

Manta: I'm not to hip on flyers, but I thoroughly enjoyed Manta. Great layout that interacted well with the surroundings. Every once in a blue moon, flyers might give me a brief moment or 2 of dizziness or nausea, but Manta never did. Also, the pretzel loop IMO was more intense than the ones on the Supermans, it really gives you a great pop of air going in to the tops.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 B&Ms at SWO, and hope to see them continue to add to their collection.

Great video as always! I always enjoy your vlogs.

Thank you. I appreciate it!

Thanks for posting...I agree with Bill that you do great work. Really enjoyed the video!

Nice avatar too, by the way! I remember one of the first few years that Magnum was open (back when Camper Village went to the base of the lift hill) and there were employees that climbed the lift stairs after hours. It certainly sounded like they were ummm...dare I say, partying up there?All we could think was what if one of them fell to their deaths? My mother was aghast and wondering if we should have reported it, but the park was closed as well as the campground store.

As much as I love coasters, I can't see myself ever wanting to climb that lift on Magnum or having to do an evac down the steps. I feel safe riding coasters, but I am still somewhat acrophobic - that's why I don't particularly care for Windseekers and avoid those Star Flyers like the plague!

My visit to SeaWorld yesterday was nothing short of excellent. Short lines, sunny weather, the animals were beautiful - everything for a fantastic day. Here's my day in a nutshell.

Nice video, makes me want to go back to Seaworld! Impressed at how they managed to get cats to perform in the show! I mean, training killer whales is one thing, but cats is on a whole other level...

Took my son today for one of our regular visits. Beautiful weather and not too hot not too cold. Rides were short waits today sometimes no wait at all. What can I say about Mako? This ride really delivers the airtime. I don't think there was a moment throughout the ride where my butt wasn't off the seat. They had a food festival happening and Lynrd Skynrd was perfoming today as part of the entertainment for the festival. All in all a very good day to be at the park. So sad about Tillikum's passing, he was a very impressive animal in all regards. It was also refreshing to not see the dumbasses holding anti Sea World signs by the entrance. Sometimes I want to lob bricks at these morons. With Spring Break around the corner I would visit now while the crowds are light because I remember it being crazy busy during that time.

yay! I finally got to go today. Wasnt to crowded and the lines werent to long either so that is good. I went on all 3 coasters and the penguin dark ride. I wanted to go on Alantis but that was closed down for some reason. We seen some animals as well as a dolphin show. Anyways my thought on the rides!

Mako-This will be my second B&M hyper. My first being Raging Bull at Great America. I enjoyed this one a lot more then Raging Bull. It had more airtime and focused more on drops then just twisty track. I made sure the sit in the back to get the best ride I really enjoyed this one and it was my favorite of the 3. I think this will now take place as my favorite B&M over Sheikra/Valravn

Kraken-This was one a lot of fun and intense. I liked how had both the combo of the straight down drop and the inversions. I enjoyed it a lot. However for some reason it was a little rough. After got off i had a slight headache but was very faint and only lasted like 2 mins. Other then that it was fun.

Manta-This will be my second flying coaster. My first being at Great America as well. I liked how this one was longer then the one at Great America and seem to have more inversions. Even the drop was better. The dive loop was fun too. However not as intense as Great America's dive loop but still was fun. I also like how it interacted with its surroundings and got close to the water and rock.

Emperor Of the Penguin dark ride-i like how this combined a theme park ride with an animal exhibit. The ride cars reminded me of giant hockey pucks(also the penguin character on the screen was named Puck). The lights and scenery was really cool as well. At the end of the ride we seen the real penguins. after getting off the ride we seen some more penguins it was really neat. Waning though! Very cold!!! Makes sense though since its Arctic Penguins.

I went to SeaWorld for my first time since I was a kid last thursday. It has changed a lot since then and for the better. I enjoyed my day and got to see almost everything except for the sea lion show as it was on at the same time as the dolphin show.

It wasn't overly busy but every show I went to was just about full. Being that the shows were full I would have thought the same for the rides as well. All 3 coasters were walk-ons all day long. I don't know what its like in the busy months but from what I seen, the coasters never seem like they are very busy. On to the rides.

Manto: My first ride of the day. I got ride this one 5 times. I would say its my favourite of the 3 there. I love the first drop and the water effects.

Kraken: I got to ride this one 3 times and found it a bit rough. The only thing I will say is how it felt the coaster was placed in a random back lot spot.

Mako: I enjoyed this hyper but in my opinion I find Behemoth a better coaster. I did like all the airtime that this coaster has. I will say the theming for Mako and all the coasters in the park are well done.

My only complaint for the day is the second time I rode the Penguin ride. When I went on it the first time the wild side was quite fun so I thought since I was going by there again I would ride it a second time. I got in line for the wild ride and as I was getting on, a family with a small child was in the row behind me. At first I thought it was kind of odd, putting a little kid on a bit of wild ride. Then found out they changed it and I ended up getting a mild ride that really doesn't do much.

Other then that, my day at SeaWorld was lots of fun. All the shows were well done and the I liked the fact that the coasters were walk-ons all day.

Went to the park today! Here's a quick trip report:

I'm not sure what it is about when they open the parking lot, but they are always running late! Every time I've been going to SeaWorld, they have open the parking lot 15 to 20 minutes before park opening. I still have a lot of time, but I thought it was supposed to be 30 minutes before opening.

Once the park opened at 9am, we instantly went to Mako...but the back half of the park wasn't going to open until 10am. Wish someone told us before we walked all the way over there!

Nevertheless, we just headed back to the front to ride Manta. There's something about the back row of Manta that is just absolutely amazing!

Next we went to get a front row ride on Kraken. It wasn't as rough as my last visit which was great! Such an intense coaster!

Antarctica was next. The air conditioning wasn't on in certain parts of the queue (which I didn't mind too much because of how cold it is at the end of the ride). Other than that, the penguins are really awesome to see!!

Now it was just about time for Mako to open! We were on the first train of the day in the front row and then immediately hopped in the back row of the same train after our first ride! Absolutely NO WAIT! Definitely my favorite coaster at SeaWorld and in Orlando.

We caught up with the Sea Lion High show...it was good...but I do miss the pirate themed show.

After the show we got lunch and walked around to see all of the marine life. All in all it was an awesome day at SeaWorld!

Ride Count:

-Manta (Back)

-Kraken (Front)

-Antarctica

-Mako (Front)

-Mako (Back)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Seaworld for my first part of the day, Sunday 26th. First time at the park since 2012, and some things have changed, but not much. Mako was wonderful. Highly enjoyed my two rides, one in the back row and one in the first row. Very fun B&m. Kraken and Manta were also enjoyable. Antarctica is absolutely well done. (Was there when construction was going.) Very cool being able to see penguins that up close. Really liked the Manatee rescue area. That was really awesome to see. Hope they add some more of those in the future. And as the shows go, they were all wonderful as well. One ocean amazing, blue horizon absolutely incredible, and Clyde and Seamore funny as always.

Seaworld is still a wonderful park that deserves the love it does not get. Will be sure to visit again when I return to the Orlando area.

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release announcing the upcoming debut of a new dolphin show replacing the popular Blue Horizons theatrical presentation.

SeaWorld Orlando will launch a new show called Dolphin Days, immersing guests into the world of the ocean’s most playful ambassadors. Dolphin Days, will debut on Saturday, April 1, replacing the popular Blue Horizons® after an eleven-year run at Dolphin Theater. In the new presentation, the audience will learn more about the individual personalities of each Atlantic bottlenose dolphin while witnessing the special bond they share with their trainers. A soaring rainbow of macaws and other tropical birds will also delight guests, uniting the mysteries of the deep oceans with the wonder and beauty of the skies above.

The new Dolphin Days will also present an interactive opportunity for young guests. During each show, one lucky young volunteer will be selected from the audience to learn firsthand from the training team in an up-close encounter with one of the dolphins and a green-winged macaw.

As guests are wowed by the agility, grace and aerial bows of the dolphins, they will learn how they can help protect dolphins in the wild. The addition of Dolphin Days is the latest example of how SeaWorld continues to provide families with experiences that matter. Through up-close encounters and unique shows like Dolphin Days, guests will leave the park inspired to care about this amazing species, and take action to help wild animals and the places they live.

Dolphin Days won’t be the only place to learn more about dolphins. The park’s new Dolphin Nursery will open in time for summer, offering an interactive educational experience for guests to see dolphins up close. The addition of virtual reality to Kraken and the new nighttime spectacular Electric Ocean round out an exciting line-up of new attractions and shows opening this year.

11f5fc1e95fd4590b9b3653aa717ff59_5-dolphin-days-trainer.thumb.jpg.7bc026d83723708a2da5e1076a55b092.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227