TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^It's probably pretty much in place and built. Opening weekend is in like 6 weeks.

Wasn't that being built offsite like the drop tower? I know drop line isn't opening with the park.. Pete said that in a video posted on here about a month ago. I thought he mentioned the coaster was also being built late but I might be wrong..

I know most of the off season construction was actually refurbishing of a lot of buildings such as restaurants (backstage restaurant and lumberjack pizza), a new Human Resources building and other general refurbishing of the park while the new rides (Drop Tower for sure) wouldn't open until late spring early summer.

Again, this was also mentioned in that video

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd assume Dollywood is thinking about it like this: is not having alcohol stopping people from coming into our park? Would having alcohol stop people from coming into our park?

With attendance growing just about every year, I can't imagine they see much incentive to sell alcohol, where as they may alienate some of the ultra-conservative beer-is-satanic crowd if they did (go to the shows at Dollywood - a lot of folks fall into this category.)

But here's hoping. I definitely wouldn't mind a moonshine lemonade while walking around the parks. I've often thought a Dollywood Food & Wine type event would be awesome - bring in some of the famous restaurants around the state (Hattie B's, Calhoun's, what have you) and some of the local breweries and distilleries. I feel like Festival of Nations is kind of toying with that concept by having some food from various cultures, but I remember thinking there just wasn't a huge variety there.

^It's probably pretty much in place and built. Opening weekend is in like 6 weeks.

Can you confirm that? I hope you're right as I'll be visiting in late April.

But like dstephe9 said, On Jan 7 at an ACE event, Pete Owens said that both Drop Line and Whistle Punk Chaser are scheduled to open around Memorial Day.

Edited by chickenbowl

But like dstephe9 said, On Jan 7 at an ACE event, Pete Owens said that both Drop Line and White Punk Chaser are scheduled to open around Memorial Day.

I wonder if this will be the start of a new Dollywood trend of their new rides opening around Memorial Day (before LR, many of their new rides had been open on Opening Day)

But like dstephe9 said, On Jan 7 at an ACE event, Pete Owens said that both Drop Line and White Punk Chaser are scheduled to open around Memorial Day.

I wonder if this will be the start of a new Dollywood trend of their new rides opening around Memorial Day (before LR, many of their new rides had been open on Opening Day)

I hope not, I hate how six flags does this but hey it's the normal for most parks now

I hope not, I hate how six flags does this but hey it's the normal for most parks now

Cedar Fair (outside of KBF but that one is open all year) usually has new rides open on Opening Day. The last major CF ride I remember not opening on its park's Opening Day is Maverick, and that one still opened up Memorial Day weekend despite a very last minute track replacement

Cedar Fair (outside of KBF but that one is open all year) usually has new rides open on Opening Day. The last major CF ride I remember not opening on its park's Opening Day is Maverick, and that one still opened up Memorial Day weekend despite a very last minute track replacement

Prowler and the Windseekers weren't ready on opening day neither. And if you count them, tons of smaller additions in the Cedar Fair chain didn't open with their parks as well. The Planet Snoopy rides at WOF last year were actually the first rides that opened on WOF's Opening Day since Patriot in 2006 (sorry to bring WOF into the equation. It's my home park so it's the easiest to remember opening dates).

Doubtful. Drop Line and Whistle Punk Chaser aren't necessarily (in my opinion) star attractions of Dollywood. No doubt they are exciting, but not nearly as exciting as a large coaster expansion. Lightning Rod is a unique case, and I don't think it's really fair to judge any other future attractions based on it's downtime.. I will say.. I don't think Dollywood will be getting another coaster with prototype components anytime soon.

I might be there on Season Passholder Preview day (the 17th).. I'm not sure if rides operate or not, can anyone confirm? I will definitely be there Sunday the 19th.

Not every major ride or star attraction has to be a coaster.. drop towers are considered as major rides to a lot of parks, especially one over 200ft tall like drop line..

Yeah, Dollywood will probably promote the heck out of LR again this season, taking some of the shine off the Drop Tower, but it'll end up being a star attraction to a lot of folks who visit the park..

As for future rides who knows when they will plan to open them.. I'm sure they could of had Drop Line and Whistle Punk chaser installed in time if they wanted unless they were last minute decisions to buy and build which I doubt.. I really doubt they said in June "Hey let's buy a drop tower for next year, yeah let's call and get it built".. I'm sure the decision was made much earlier than that meaning if they wanted it by March they could have it

As fast as Dollywood is building their coasters it wouldn't surprise me if they went several years before the next one.. actually two years ago in one of their LR announcements they said not to expect another major coaster anytime soon.

Passholder preview days usually have select rides open and select restaurants and stores.. just expect a few things to be closed.

My guess is 2020 or 2021 for Dollywood's next coaster (my guess is a B&M invert), since SDC is getting a coaster in 2018

This is my guess as well.. When they said it a few years ago I figured LR was the last coaster on their 10 year plan.. I figure they still have one major attraction on their 10 year plan though and that's a Dark Ride.. (my opinion anyways nothing official)

I thought their 10 year plan also included expansion up towards the train loop as well so they will want something large for that area.. Might be hard to build a large building up there for a Dark Ride though so who knows, maybe the final part of the expansion is one more coaster.

Not every major ride or star attraction has to be a coaster.. drop towers are considered as major rides to a lot of parks, especially one over 200ft tall like drop line..

Yeah, Dollywood will probably promote the heck out of LR again this season, taking some of the shine off the Drop Tower, but it'll end up being a star attraction to a lot of folks who visit the park..

As for future rides who knows when they will plan to open them.. I'm sure they could of had Drop Line and Whistle Punk chaser installed in time if they wanted unless they were last minute decisions to buy and build which I doubt.. I really doubt they said in June "Hey let's buy a drop tower for next year, yeah let's call and get it built".. I'm sure the decision was made much earlier than that meaning if they wanted it by March they could have it

As fast as Dollywood is building their coasters it wouldn't surprise me if they went several years before the next one.. actually two years ago in one of their LR announcements they said not to expect another major coaster anytime soon.

Passholder preview days usually have select rides open and select restaurants and stores.. just expect a few things to be closed.

I suppose that's fair. Don't get me wrong, I've always thought that Dollywood desperately needed a drop tower. A decade ago when they added Timber Tower I was disappointed that it wasn't one. I'm stoked for Drop Line, but not as much as I was for Lightning Rod.

I don't think it's a bad thing that we may not see another major coaster for at least 4-5 years. Lightning Rod (for me) has put Dollywood's coaster lineup in a good place for the time being. I feel like if they were to add another coaster in 2018, it would almost be too much too quickly.. but you won't catch me complaining either way..

What I really want to see is a Disney caliber Dark Ride.. A large Dark Ride with lifelike animatronics complete with smells and everything! Now I know we won't get anything as awesome as Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney (price wise) but it would be nice to have something at least on par in quality and size. Dollywood is unique, the area is unique.. I'm sure they could come with with something for a Dark Ride that would be very unique

^I consider Blazing Fury to be a pure dark ride because it's almost completely powered, but that's more like a cute old-fashioned dark ride.

Oh yeah, I consider it a pure dark ride as well but with all the more modern dark rides out there, and with six flags over GA opening a new one this year (yeah it's a clone of other parks but still) it's just time for Dollywood to build one that is very modern and that captures the area very well..

Blazing Fury has lost so many elements and scenes over the years, it's kind of hard to make out the story now even though it is a great ride and I hope it stays for years to come!

I wish they would get a shooting dark ride and theme it around like a spirit that's haunting the smokies.

I think when and if they do open one, it will be shooting if not just to compete with Justice League at SFOG but also the shooting rides at Disney are some of the most popular with families

Blazing Fury has lost so many elements and scenes over the years, it's kind of hard to make out the story now even though it is a great ride and I hope it stays for years to come!

They just re-tracked the entire thing and did a ton of work on interior of the building so it's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.