TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the 3D effect, not the dementor effect, and I agree I do hope that it makes it over here.

We do have slight differences. In the first screen in Orlando, the dragon flies away. In Hollywood, he breathes fire on you.

In the second screen, you see the snitch up close, and then a dementor up close. I don't believe either happen in Orlando.

As far as I know, the third screen doesn't have any differences.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Hopefully the 2D projections will help with some of the motion sickness. I definitely needed to visit Madame Pomfrey after my last ride on FJ.

Does anyone know if Butterbeer is allowed to leave the park? I want to ask my friend to meet me outside with a mug.

Anyone want to take a stab at how crowded this Saturday might be? (12/17/16)

Thinking about going for the first time in 15 years!!!!!!

local school districts are out for winter break now, so I imagine pretty busy. If it rains, probably not nearly as busy though.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that no one did. Might be because I'm psychic, might be because they're fictional characters. Take your pick.

Some people may have seen Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik, though.

I know i was just joking lol. They did go to the HP theme park in the last episode thats what i was referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

What a mess! I have a feeling there will be a lot of angry USH customers by the day's end (if not already).

I went to CityWalk early this morning to see a movie. At ~10:30am, the digital sign at the Lankershim entrance indicated the park was sold out. The line of people waiting to get into the park stretched back into CityWalk.

When I exited the theatre at ~1:30pm, I walked by the park's front gate to hear that the park was at capacity. Except for re-entry guests, no one was being allowed in--including people with pre-purchased tickets. The entrance plaza was full of frustrated would-be guests.

Walking down the hill back to Lankershim, mobile digital signs alerted drivers that parking was also at capacity. It appeared cars were being diverted directly to the Cahuenga exit. Still, the line of cars hoping to park filled all three lanes of Universal Hollywood Drive and backed up Lankershim in both directions.

And apparently some people didn't get or accept the "at capacity" message now displayed on the Lankershim billboard because a huge flood of people were walking up the hill to the park.

It appeared the park had to deployed extra personnel in various locations to communicate and discuss refunds (for both tickets and parking) with guests; however, I thought some of the employees sounded a bit gruff/uncaring talking with guests, and the park seemed completely overwhelmed.

It's nice to see the park do good business, but i hate to think of all the families turned away today and potential PR problems for the park moving forward. Hopefully the park can find a way to avoid this situation moving forward--either by working to encourage more people to visit during off-peak times or further increasing the park's capacity.

A few photos are below. I'll be curious to hear what the experience was like inside the park!

image.thumb.jpeg.ed9178886510af786803dfe3011d96b6.jpeg

Looking down Universal Hollywood Drive

image.thumb.jpeg.ece269106e92696befd84014470f9ff0.jpeg

Lankershim billboard

image.thumb.jpeg.2be100cf8efb0a4dc32d6bcf0677c068.jpeg

Looking up Universal Hollywood Drive

image.thumb.jpeg.28b18f6377f17fc949398016d06f6e03.jpeg

Line of cars stretching down Lankershim

Wow! I know the week following Christmas is the week to steer clear of theme parks around here, but I figured it'd be over now. Some schools start back up again next week, so maybe people are trying to get their visits in? I went to Universal twice last year and both times it was absolutely packed (once was for Halloween Horror though), but they still managed to run everything well and keep the crowds moving. Still, it's a pretty small space and can feel claustrophobic very easy. I would hate to be there on a sold-out day.

Wow! I know the week following Christmas is the week to steer clear of theme parks around here, but I figured it'd be over now. Some schools start back up again next week, so maybe people are trying to get their visits in? I went to Universal twice last year and both times it was absolutely packed (once was for Halloween Horror though), but they still managed to run everything well and keep the crowds moving. Still, it's a pretty small space and can feel claustrophobic very easy. I would hate to be there on a sold-out day.

The limited number of attractions is also a problem. I was told that they did 40K+ the 1st and 2nd with 4 hour waits for Potter. That's a crazy, crazy number for that place and I imagine it being impossible to enjoy. But hey, if you wait that long to get in with all those signs without turning around, you know what you're getting into.

The limited number of attractions is also a problem. I was told that they did 40K+ the 1st and 2nd with 4 hour waits for Potter. That's a crazy, crazy number for that place and I imagine it being impossible to enjoy. But hey, if you wait that long to get in with all those signs without turning around, you know what you're getting into.

Yeah, it's not a good spot to be at when it's ever a fraction of that size of a crowd. While they're usually quite efficient at running the rides, it can be very draining spending so much time in lines. A four-hour line for Potter must have stretched way, way out of the building. The longest line I've ever experienced on that ride started just past the lockers, and I think that was about 90 mins or so.

I've been at Disneyland on days where it took 45 minutes to walk down main street (sell out crowd+firework waiting+narrow walkways=BAD combination). Not sure what the big deal about this is.

If someone spent the whole day in the park, when the sun went down (along with the temps...), it cleared out quite well by 7PM. Rides were practically walkups in that final hour they added on to the park hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at staying near by USH in May, any hotel recommendation? I will me coming from Magic Mountain. Will only need one night's accommodation. Looking for something for a decent price and not too far from USH.

The is the Nite Inn, which is close, and Tilt, which is nearby. In studio city, which is close by, there is Studio City Courtyard - cheapest -Mikado, Sportmen's Lodge, Comfort Inn (N. Hollywood). Also, the Hilton is next door, but next door so the price might be worth it.

We just stayed at the Tilt last week. The location is amazing and super close to the entrance. Driving takes about 2 minutes to the park. Price isn't too bad given the location, and the cheapest price I found was to go directly to their website. The Choice Hotels app "best price" was $20 more than going to the hotels website. There is no breakfast, but the rooms were nice and pretty modern.

It's the off season, should be very doable. There's nearly always single rider on Transformers, Mummy, and Forbidden Journey. Occasionally on Jurassic if it's busy, but on a day like that, it may be closed, but the regular line would be short anyway. And you'll want to use that FJ SR a lot. It's worth it.

Oh, there's also often SR on Flight of the Hippogriff, just ask at the front. Sometimes they say no, but usually if they do, it's because the lines are already very short.

Do keep in mind if you were interested in The Walking Dead attraction, it sometimes closes earlier than the rest of the park. See the showtimes handout they give you as you enter.

It's the off season, should be very doable. There's nearly always single rider on Transformers, Mummy, and Forbidden Journey. Occasionally on Jurassic if it's busy, but on a day like that, it may be closed, but the regular line would be short anyway. And you'll want to use that FJ SR a lot. It's worth it.

Oh, there's also often SR on Flight of the Hippogriff, just ask at the front. Sometimes they say no, but usually if they do, it's because the lines are already very short.

Do keep in mind if you were interested in The Walking Dead attraction, it sometimes closes earlier than the rest of the park. See the showtimes handout they give you as you enter.

Awesome - that sounds great. My only reservation is the cost - man this park is not cheap!!! Doesn't seem like much is offered in the way of discounts

Other than annual passes, no, not much in the way of discounts.

I sometimes forget as a local, the tram tour is a must for a first time visitor. It's about 45-60 minutes long, but is a very unique attraction that passes a ton of genuine movie sets that you'll recognize. While the line can get long, it often moves fast, and there are plenty of video monitors to watch while waiting.

Other than annual passes, no, not much in the way of discounts.

I sometimes forget as a local, the tram tour is a must for a first time visitor. It's about 45-60 minutes long, but is a very unique attraction that passes a ton of genuine movie sets that you'll recognize. While the line can get long, it often moves fast, and there are plenty of video monitors to watch while waiting.

Is the tour something I should hit the first showing of?