TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I think its odd they are charging guests to the Disneyland Resort for something that is free for WDW guests.

It's not odd at all. The clientele and culture of the two parks is radically different. The average guest at WDW is probably spending $5k - $10k on their "vacation of a lifetime" and your average Disneyland guest is spending a few hundred to almost nothing if you're an Annual Passholder per visit. And with the attitudes of the typical SoCal Disneyland guest, I can only imagine the abuse that would occur if this feature was free.

That being said, I would actually welcome an upcharge version of MyMagic+ in WDW that increases your availability of some FastPass or dining reservation options or allows you to book more FP+ at once.

Either way though, you cannot go wrong with being able to book FP+ in advance.

Edited by robbalvey

^Very true, the average WDW guest is already spending a lot more, and they are completely different resorts.

I don't think the pricing is bad, pretty spot on for an up-charge product. And I'm sure what ever price they offer APS will be pretty fair. Cause the base system is still free!

My big question is how mixed groups will work. If I visit with a friend, who doesn't have a pass, and for some reason doesn't do the $10 MaxPass, will we have to still walk to get a traditional Fastpass? I would assume so, but its not explained.

Or, if in a group of people, all who have the MaxPass, can we easily link our accounts for that visit and make group reservations?

And what about Cast members? How will something like this affect them visiting with their unique way of getting into the parks?

I'm sue this will get answered eventually as it starts to roll how. But I am very excited!

I wonder how are you going to "redeem" the digital pass with this system since there are no magic bands, just scan a bar code on your phone or something? I guess you could do that since it's entirely app based such that you have to have a device to have the app to participate in the first place (at WDW you don't really have to, you can make the reservations in advance from a desk top or from the digital kiosks in the park).

Also, I'd be more than willing to pay $10 a day to access availability on some attractions at WDW like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and Frozen, I'm kind of surprised they haven't launched an upcharge option yet.

I have to admit, as soon as I saw the headline I was sincerely hoping that "Disney MaxPass" was an upcharge unlimited skip the line pass. While I don't follow the Disney parks as closely as a lot of people on here, I never understood why they didn't offer this. Sure, a lot of people would bitch and moan but that hasn't stopped any other park chain (Universal included) from implementing one of these systems and the California park seems like the perfect park for it, especially given their heavy annual passholder base and their desire to increase in park spending.

^ They do have that. Its what getting a Tour Guide gets you. You pay a buttload of money, and the tour guide can get you into most attractions. It costs between $350-$500 per hour depending on time of year, with a 6 hour minimum. Plus a tip.

Call Disney Special Activities at 714-300-7710, for bookings and exact costs.

Okay, but a VIP tour isn't really what I'm referring to. I'm referring to an unlimited Fast Pass system similar to the Busch Sea World Quick Queue Unlimited, Six Flags Flash Pass, Universal Express Pass, Cedar Fair Fastlane or Dollywood Timesaver (many of which are offered in addition to a more expensive VIP tour with a tour guide).

LOL, I knew what you meant. But I doubt Disney will ever offer systems like at, personally. They already over the tour guides and that makes them a lot of money.

$350 x 6Hrs = $2100 / Max 10 people per group = $210 per person, on the low end. So, I don't see why they would offer a mid range product, their premium one is already working great.

And $210 per person is a good price for a Disney park, and you get a tour guide to help out!

EDIT:

People have been asking questions in the comments. Here is one that answers a few.

Hello! I have a couple of questions about MaxPass. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

1. We are a family of 4 and when we vacation at Disneyland, usually only 1 of us is using the Disneyland app. Can you link multiple tickets to 1 person’s Disneyland app so you all use MaxPass?

2. Can MaxPass be purchased only through the Disneyland app or can you purchase online before your visit? Could guests also purchase in the parks? If so, at what locations?

3. If you opt not to purchase MaxPass, can a guest still purchase PhotoPass+ online prior to his/her visit or at the parks in the photo shops?

4. Will MaxPass users have to be inside the park in order to obtain a FastPass for an attraction?

5. When a MaxPass user obtains a FastPass for an attraction, will it operate similarly to the existing Disneyland FastPass system, in which you can only get a FastPass for the current window at that attraction? Or will it operate similarly to WDW, in which the user makes a FastPass “reservation”?

Stephanie Entwistle on January 11, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Hi Stephanie – Hopefully this answers all of your questions …

Disney MaxPass will be $10 per ticket (per person) and one person in the party may manage Disney FASTPASS reservations for the party via one device, if desired.

Disney MaxPass is connected to your park ticket, so it can be purchased ahead of time when you buy your ticket, but it will not be activated until you are inside a theme park.

Guests may still purchase PhotoPass on its own if they opt not to use Disney MaxPass.

Yes, you must be inside a Disneyland Resort theme park to make Disney FASTPASS reservations through Disney MaxPass.

Disney MaxPass will operate similarly to the current Disney FASTPASS system, meaning you will be able to reserve one FASTPASS at a time.

Erin Glover on January 11, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Would MaxPass work like Fastpass+ does over at Walt Disney World where some Fastpasses can be booked in advance, or do you need to be physically in the parks the day of in order to book a Fastpass? Would MaxPass enable you to have multiple Fastpasses active at the same time?

Jay Stevens on January 11, 2017 at 12:37 pm

No – Disney MaxPass will operate similarly to the current Disney FASTPASS system at Disneyland Resort, meaning you will be able to reserve one FASTPASS at a time and you must be inside one of the theme parks to make Disney FASTPASS reservations.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

This is random but there was pretty fun episode of the Talk if Jericho Podcast with Cody Rhodes and Zach Ryder discussing amusement parks and specifically the VIP tours at Disney and Universal that they take together annually. Pretty fun listen if your a wrestling fan (casual fan here nothing crazy) or an amusement park fan Always interesting to hear the perspectives of people who love amusement parks but not are not necessarily die hards like all of us nerds here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJM6wPJAvk

Oh man there's some comedy gold in the comment section on the Blog...

How do we justify a $10/day price for a feature that will, in the long run, be saving the company money by reducing the usage of paper?

Yes, people really are this stupid.

I got to visit Walt Disney World December 2016 and I was disappointed to find that fastpass took over the rides. Fastpass was great when you had one, but the fastpass riders practically walked through the line and the ride we were waiting for went from one hour to two hours due to a long line of fastpass riders. I later found out that the main reason the main lines were so long was because fastpass had the upper hand so the main line was not moving.

Um...WTF?? First FP riders are walking through the line, then suddenly there's a long line of FP riders. Then this person is shocked to find the FP queue is prioritized over the main queue. FP has been around nearly 20 years! She apparently frequents Disneyland and just now realizes this??

I hope the new “max pass” with be free for signature and signature plus pass holders. we already get free photos.

Pays somewhere around $850-$1050 for an AP. Thinks the included Photopass stuff is free...

I am pretty sure the $10 fee mainly covers the prices for photos anyway, so why would we pay for the pics when we get them with our annual pass? I have really been ok with all the other fees that DL has been applying, but this one has made me quite upset.

The announcement doesn't say what price AP's will pay for this, but even the prospect of paying an extra $10 on top of $850+ has this person "quite upset"

Humanity is growing dumber at such an alarming rate, but it seems like in this area we're rocketing ever faster into Idiocracy...

The start date has not been released yet. But, in the comments section of the blog, they mention that you CAN NOT reserve Fastpasses ahead of time, like MyMagic+. It is day of only. Go through the app, or you can get a Fastpass the traditional way and walk to a machine. But its day of, and on property. and I can guess that your ticket has to have already been scanned/activated at the main entrance too before access will show up on the App.

So, there is no phone call to be made. We will have to just wait until they announce a start date.

in the comments section of the blog, they mention that you CAN NOT reserve Fastpasses ahead of time, like MyMagic+. It is day of only.

I'm going to assume this is to stop the horrible SoCal passholders from just frivolously booking a crapton of FastPasses they are never going to use. IMO, this completely makes sense. Do we know if by spending the $10 that guarantees you will get some FastPasses on the day you book? I assume the answer is yes. Because then if you said, for example, "Hey, lets go to the park at 5pm and get some FP between 6-10pm tonight" and then you got there and they were all sold out, that would be a waste of $10. But I assume that $10 would be money well spent if you knew you could show up at 5pm and get FP for rides like Space, Thunder, and Matterhorn for the rest of your evening without much hassle.

Edited by robbalvey

While 10 bucks a day seems reasonable, I get that it can be an annoyance if you're staying for a longer period, like this person:

Hey Disney,

Please stop nickel and diming me. $10 per day to utilize the electronic fast pass is ridiculous. That will add an additional $40 per day for my family of 4. We visit 2 times a year for a total of 10 days, an extra $400 just for electronic fast passes.

Yeah, no one is forcing you to use it, but considering that the old fastpass system is kind of a waste of resources compared to an electronic option it doesn't necessarily encourage people to use it when there's an additional charge.

in the comments section of the blog, they mention that you CAN NOT reserve Fastpasses ahead of time, like MyMagic+. It is day of only.

I'm going to assume this is to stop the horrible SoCal passholders from just frivolously booking a crapton of FastPasses they are never going to use. IMO, this completely makes sense. Do we know if by spending the $10 that guarantees you will get some FastPasses on the day you book? I assume the answer is yes. Because then if you said, for example, "Hey, lets go to the park at 5pm and get some FP between 6-10pm tonight" and then you got there and they were all sold out, that would be a waste of $10. But I assume that $10 would be money well spent if you knew you could show up at 5pm and get FP for rides like Space, Thunder, and Matterhorn for the rest of your evening without much hassle.

Thats a really good question. I would hope so.

But as it is, through the Disneyland App, you can already see the Fastpass return times for any attraction, and if there is any left. It might just be left up to the user to make sure there are Fastpasses available for the attraction they want to experience.

But I am sure there will be some people who dont pay attention, buy it, and then don't want to ride anything that's available. And them might somehow ask for a refund.

While 10 bucks a day seems reasonable, I get that it can be an annoyance if you're staying for a longer period, like this person:

Hey Disney,

Please stop nickel and diming me. $10 per day to utilize the electronic fast pass is ridiculous. That will add an additional $40 per day for my family of 4. We visit 2 times a year for a total of 10 days, an extra $400 just for electronic fast passes.

Yeah, no one is forcing you to use it, but considering that the old fastpass system is kind of a waste of resources compared to an electronic option it doesn't necessarily encourage people to use it when there's an additional charge.

Well, they keep saying the $10 is an introductory price. Erin (the writer) says it on the post, and again over and over in the comments. So, it seems the $10 is just to get the ball rolling, introduce the concept, and give people a target price point. Maybe form multi day option will come soon, possibly along with the AP info. There is still a lot we don't know about all this, and they said more info is to come.

Hey Disney,

I sympathize with this guy. This poor working class guy who's just trying to get by in life and can only afford to go to Disneyland ten times a year is now being forced to shell out 10 bucks a pop for a completely optional service as not to have to endure the tremendous hardship of doing things exactly the same way he is now (though he hasn't once bitched about until today).

Well, they keep saying the $10 is an introductory price. Erin (the writer) says it on the post, and again over and over in the comments. So, it seems the $10 is just to get the ball rolling, introduce the concept, and give people a target price point. Maybe form multi day option will come soon, possibly along with the AP info. There is still a lot we don't know about all this, and they said more info is to come.

I would assume there will be multi-day options at reduced per day prices, that probably have to be tied to a multi-day ticket. And I'd bet there's a nice discount for an annual version, and it will probably be included in the higher tier annual passes.

My real question is will they finally add Wifi to the park now that they want me to use their app for Fastpasses...

Hey Disney,

I sympathize with this guy. This poor working class guy who's just trying to get by in life and can only afford to go to Disneyland ten times a year is now being forced to shell out 10 bucks a pop for a completely optional service as not to have to endure the tremendous hardship of doing things exactly the same way he is now (though he hasn't once bitched about until today).

Well, this could mean that there will be fewer "normal" fastpasses, especially if the electronic version has priority the way people are speculating that it will, so in that case it will definitely affect people who don't wish to pay.

Also, there's no mention on what the options are for people who are willing to pay but have a foreign subscription/data considering that there is no wifi in the park.

Hey Disney,

giphy.gif