TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I expected push back on Peter Pan and to each his own, stating that you think a classic Disney dark ride is complete trash is definitely a controversial statement but personally I think that ride absolutely sucks and needs a major upgrade. Right now it's far below the standards of what Disney can do and when you compare it to some of their other dark rides it really feels like a steaming pile of crap.

No, Bill, you're wrong, and you're a terrible person for saying this!

Better?

Really, I agree. I rode it, and enjoyed it, but I went in with really low expectations. I wanted to ride it just because of the unique ride system. I had never seen a suspended dark ride before, and I don't know of any others. Without the suspended ride system, I would have skipped it entirely, like I did Winnie the Pooh. It was cool for the experience, but I have no reason to ever want to do that again unless there's a big overhaul.

I can see that. I grew up visiting Rehoboth Beach and they have a Haunted Mansion with a suspended ride system that they built mostly in house so that ride system isn't much of a novelty for me since I've ridden that thing countless times. Somehow, despite the fact that it was built on a small, seaside park budget I think that ride is infinitely more enjoyable than Peter Pan's Flight.

See, now you're making me want to go to Rehoboth Beach. I've been agonizing over how to fit it into my Knoebels plans. It's so close (Moreys Piers is already on the itinerary), and yet it's on the opposite side of the bay from everything else.

You know there is the Cape May Ferry you can take from Jersey to Delaware. I think it's two hours. It's the kind you take your car on. Just saying.

Also don't forget to let me know when you'll be in Wildwood!

^ Absolutely! I'm eyeing late August, right at the tail end of daily operations for everything. Time is a major factor on this; just too many things to do and all sort of but not exactly close. I think once everyone has their 2017 calendars on their websites, I'm going to have to start a "Help Me Plan a Trip to Knoebels" thread just to figure out the logistics.

If you go to Rehoboth Beach, don't go there to ride rides. Bring a beach chair and an umbrella, pop it in the sand and enjoy the best, cleanest small beach / boardwalk town on the East coast (or don't and rent one from one of the beach shacks. In true Rehoboth fashion it's very reasonably priced).

Go up to Zoggs for some orange crushes and Rum Buckets, get a slice of Grotto pizza, eat a Cheesesteak from Gus and Gus and then pop into Funland to ride a few rides and play a few games. That's what Rehoboth is about, don't make a special trip for rides. Funland is lovely but it's not a destination.

Anyway sorry, we're way off topic now.

*Also, the beach is free. Delaware doesn't play that Jersey bullsh*t. They never have and never will. Nobody owns the beach, the beach is for everyone.

Anyway sorry, we're way off topic now.

That might as well be my mantra.

Thanks for the advice. There will be plenty of time for more Rehoboth/Jersey Shore talk between now and summer. Now how to get this back on track? Er....

How about this article from earlier this year?

www.theonion.com/article/disney-world-opens-new-ordeal-kingdom-family-meltd-52230

BAY LAKE, FL—Touting the new property’s wide variety of unique and imaginative attractions, representatives from the Walt Disney World Resort announced Monday the opening of Ordeal Kingdom, a new theme park specifically designed for full-scale family meltdowns.

Situated between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, the 350-acre property reportedly incorporates many of the most aggravating elements of Disney’s other parks and expands them into a creative and fully immersive world of irritation, which is said to include the longest lines in the entire resort, a convoluted layout that is only depicted in indecipherable cartoon maps that are not to scale, and 150 percent higher prices. According to park director Jacob Bartlett, Ordeal Kingdom’s specialized combination of features will ensure a slowly building resentment among visiting families, eventually resulting in a dramatic public outburst followed by a silent walk back to the car.

back on topic peasants!

I am curious if they do the whole parent swap thing and if like I ride with my 3 year old while my wife waits with the one year old would my wife and I be able to swap spots effectively letting my 3 year old ride twice while getting all of us a chance to ride?

back on topic peasants!

I am curious if they do the whole parent swap thing and if like I ride with my 3 year old while my wife waits with the one year old would my wife and I be able to swap spots effectively letting my 3 year old ride twice while getting all of us a chance to ride?

Technically you are supposed to have one parent wait in the standby while the other waits with the child then you will will receive a paper ticket good for admission to the attraction gor 3 people to return anytime through the fastpass line.

Magic Kingdom tickets purchased. I can't wait my boy is overly excited and keeps watching youtube videos of the park. It wasn't until this morning that I noticed they have a Buzz lightyear ride which made me real happy because he stumbled across one of the TPR japan videos and watching the Toy Story ride he was flipping out.

Magic Kingdom tickets purchased. I can't wait my boy is overly excited and keeps watching youtube videos of the park. It wasn't until this morning that I noticed they have a Buzz lightyear ride which made me real happy because he stumbled across one of the TPR japan videos and watching the Toy Story ride he was flipping out.

86 more days for us!

Yeah This is all completely new to me. We are staying at Shades of Green which is real close to the park by the looks of the map. I didn't book the room so I am unsure if they have shuttles and where they drop off so I will have to look into that.

You'll really like Shades, I won't stay anywhere else on property (unless I get a ridiculous deal). It's not overly-Disney, moreso an upscale resort with hints of Disney around. Some people don't like this but I've never had a problem. There are bigger and more ornate resorts but Shades has an x-factor that I've not found anywhere else. Also, the busses run regularly and are rarely crowded, since it's a smaller resort. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Our 2017 Disney trip is all set!

Booked a week at wilderness lodge. Always wanted to stay here. We are booked April 1-8. Anybody know how bad the spring break crowds are this time of year? The lady I made my reservation from says that we are missing the heavy crowds by a week, but kinda sounded unsure at the same time.

Yeah This is all completely new to me. We are staying at Shades of Green which is real close to the park by the looks of the map. I didn't book the room so I am unsure if they have shuttles and where they drop off so I will have to look into that.

You'll really like Shades, I won't stay anywhere else on property (unless I get a ridiculous deal). It's not overly-Disney, moreso an upscale resort with hints of Disney around. Some people don't like this but I've never had a problem. There are bigger and more ornate resorts but Shades has an x-factor that I've not found anywhere else. Also, the busses run regularly and are rarely crowded, since it's a smaller resort. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thank you for the bus info, only other question I have on that is how close do they drop off to Magic Kingdom and is it easy to get a bus back mid day/end of day or do I need to call to schedule one?

I can do my Fastpasses tomorrow. I'm going to do seven dwarves. What two others should I choose that have slow moving lines. Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan? Does the Buzz Lighthear ride move people through quickly? That's the one my boy is most excited about I'm wondering if I should use one on that instead

I can do my Fastpasses tomorrow. I'm going to do seven dwarves. What two others should I choose that have slow moving lines. Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan? Does the Buzz Lighthear ride move people through quickly? That's the one my boy is most excited about I'm wondering if I should use one on that instead

If you don't mind missing fireworks/parades and the ride goes until closing, The lines for Frozen and 7 Dwarves are shorter and faster at closing cause they don't let Fastpasses in the line then. Also the wait time includes Fast Passes (80% FP, 20% Standby)

I am hoping to get him on Buzz first thing and maybe ride it a couple times if we can maybe later in the day. He has been talking about it non stop. We have to watch the video of that ride every day when I get home.

I wonder how well this did the first go round? I guess well enough to bring it back for a few extra nights. I don't have problem with it in the least, if you wanna pay that for 3 hours then by all means go for it, but I'll save my cash for the Halloween party.

I can't wait to hear why it's a problem.

Because they hurt the feelings of some loud morons who don't understand why a separately ticketed event doesn't automatically extend to them with their single day park ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the bus info, only other question I have on that is how close do they drop off to Magic Kingdom and is it easy to get a bus back mid day/end of day or do I need to call to schedule one?

They drop you off at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC), which is literally right around the corner from the Shades main entrance. From there you can take the monorail or the boat to the entrance of Magic Kingdom. Same deal for Epcot, minus the boat. The busses run very regularly, the longest I waited for a bus was maybe 10 mins? That's to and from the TTC, for everywhere else the busses run on an hourly basis from the hotel to the parks (Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Disney Springs, etc). Busses start running a half hour before the parks open, times for last busses change but usually an hour after park closure.

Alternatively, you could walk 10 minutes down a very nice trail/sidewalk and jump on the monorail at the Polynesian, as that resort is across the street from Shades.