Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 974 - New maze announced for Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:18 pm

prozach626 wrote:Where BGT lacks in the zoo aspect, it makes up for it with a botanical gardens variety. Where at BGT you can go to an enclosure area and watch some Hyenas panting in the heat, at BGW you can see the stable dog trainers interact with the dogs in the fenced in areas near the stable. Or you will walk by a random nicely set field with oxen. It's nothing attention grabbing like the hippo or cheetah display at BGT, but the atmosphere at BGW seems like it blends together much better to provide a scenic and relaxing feel.

And you'll see deer grazing near the railroad tracks, or along the Rhine River, too.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 am

Just went back through some of the InvadR construction pictures and it looks like this coaster may have some nice pops of airtime. I really like the way it looks now that it is going vertical.
Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , StormRunner, Griffin/ Shiekra, Alpengeist

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:18 am

Speaking of InvadR, how about we start the new year with another update? Yes, Christmas Town may be ending today, but coaster construction moves on. I was at the park yesterday and noticed that 1) they've been increasing the theming on the station and 2) the lift hill is now crossing over the railroad tracks.

Let's have a look.
01.jpg
Let the hype continue!
02.jpg
First coaster of 2017: The holiday version of Tempesto, . . .
03.jpg
. . . which is pretty much like the regular version of Tempesto.
04.jpg
As usual, we'll start this update with a train ride.
05.jpg
Hello, InvadR. How's it hangin'?
06.jpg
Looks about the same on the left side of the train . . .
07.jpg
. . . but what's this up ahead?
08.jpg
Yes, it's the steel for the lift hill and first drop crossing the railroad tracks.
09.jpg
Here's a view from Caribou Station.
09a.jpg
This is really going to change the skyline of New France.
09b.jpg
I hope InvadR doesn't make Le Scoot feel "inadequate."
10.jpg
Let's have a look at what's happening near the train station.
10a.jpg
Implements of destruction/construction on the path to the log flume.
11.jpg
Note the new logs on the station.
12.jpg
Here's a look from the bridge into Germany. I think this is going to be a very nicely themed ride.
13.jpg
InvadR wishes everyone at TPR a Happy New Year.
14.jpg
Well, that's done. Time for a brew (O'Connor Norfolk Canyon Ale, if you're curious).
15.jpg
And best wishes of the season from Christmas Town's Polar Pathway (aka Escape from Pompeii). Thanks for reading.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks for the update, chuck. Does anyone know any reasoning for the decision to use steel supports, as opposed to wood, on this particular project?

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:39 pm

prozach626 wrote:Thanks for the update, chuck. Does anyone know any reasoning for the decision to use steel supports, as opposed to wood, on this particular project?

As an Engineer, I think one reason for steel would be the ability to construct larger spans. If you look here,

You can see that the lift needs to bridge both Le Scoot and two train tracks. That's a lot of distance, and I'm sure it's easier to built a steel structure that can handle those forces than a wooden one. And after that, they probably didn't want to leave steel just in one section like that, so they made it aesthetically consistent everywhere else, maybe? Zeus looks kinda weird with only a little bit of steel structure to span Cyclops.

I'm sure there's more reasons, (less bulky, but stronger structure and less wear and tear in a humid climate is why I think Fun Spot went with steel on their GCI and new Gravity Group) but I think the large spans would be the main one.
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:25 pm

^When BGW announced InvadR, they mentioned that reduced maintenance was the main reason for going with a steel structure.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Randomman295 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:28 pm

cfc wrote:As usual, we'll start this update with a train ride. Image

On behalf of the person in this picture (who is banned on this forum) I'd like to share this lovely shot of Chuck.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:48 pm

cfc wrote:^When BGW announced InvadR, they mentioned that reduced maintenance was the main reason for going with a steel structure.

Well this is a great idea since the last wooden coaster at a Busch park (Gwazi) didn't fair so well.

Im not saying its solely BGT's fault for what happened to Gwazi but it is a good idea to make life easier on yourself.
Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , StormRunner, Griffin/ Shiekra, Alpengeist

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:55 am

^Exactly. They're even using re-furbed/re-themed Gwazi trains.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby defrocker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 am

In regards to the steel structure/maintenance points. I'm sure that a large part of the reasoning has to do with how many rides this crosses over and under. I feel like It would be more difficult to perform maintenance on the structure with everything under it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!