TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Here is something else that the Disney "fans" were all bitching about...

So this is a super cute segment from the new castle holiday show. Now I'm not usually one for the "castle character shows" because they are usually sort of cheesy and aimed for kids, but this new one was AWESOME!!! The amount of tech used in the show with all the articulated characters, projection effects on the castle, lighting, etc, was AWESOME!

For some reasons, the Disney "fans" don't like the fact that they gave Mickey & Minnie a mobile phone to text each other with. WHY!?!?!? At what point did Walt Disney say "MIckey Mouse is stuck in 1928." We've seen the character drive a car, use a computer, take pictures with a camera, etc. Why can't he use a cell phone? People were saying "oh, this just reminds you of every day life and Disney is supposed to be a break from that." But isn't taking pictures also reminding you of every day life?

images.jpeg.481f7ba1550bc18250aeaa0f5ffb9c22.jpeg

Why aren't Disney fans complaining about Mickey Mouse being on a computer and possibly surfing the internet?

mickfishcomputer.gif.6924ffa6e9676204740ac2c379d47c41.gif

The show was super cute and fun! Seriously there was NOTHING in the show to complain about. Yet the Disney fans felt the need to bitch up a storm. I really hope our group of people are better and can just see the show for what it is: ENTERTAINING!!!!

OH! And here's another segment from the show. I freaking *LOVED* this!!! I was a huge fan of Muppet Christmas Carol and was really psyched to see them use this song!

Edited by robbalvey

1) These Disney fans sound like terrible, terrible people.

2) Yeah, I would watch the show just for that song. I always had a soft spot for Muppet Christmas Carol. I don't like the Muppets at all but I love that movie for some reason. The music throughout the movie is honestly way better than it has any right to be, but "It Feels like Christmas" is one of the best songs I've heard in any version of a Christmas Carol. It's right up there with some of the songs from the Broadway version. I'm honestly thrilled to see this song being used in this capacity as I may or may not have cranked it up to the max in the car on my way to work the other day (and am shocked that I'm now admitting this on a public forum, lol).

Amazing they would complain about cell phones when the majority of them complaining are probably on their own phones most of their time there.

The Xmas stuff there looks great, I'm a very causal Disney parks fan. I have fun when I go but wouldn't care if I didn't go but my gf would absolutely love going there for that Xmas event. One of these years, we already have too many things planned lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

Not gonna lie, I was pretty meh about going to Very Merry Christmas Party this year, and we ended up going to see that show at midnight over doing 7 Dwarves Mine Train which I haven't ridden in 2 years now.

BUT THAT SHOW WAS AWESOME. And the texting segment was hilarious and I've never heard that song before. Huge Cast, talented. They all had real cell phones. And yes, they used the music from my second favorite movie all-time which is Muppet Christmas Carol. It was the best single entertainment of the night. And Very Merry was surprisingly improved from the other time I've been, with more lights, MANY kinds of cookies, more interesting characters out, Jingle Cruise and typical short lines, and a longer parade.

Very Merry pulled even or higher with SeaWorld this year for me for Christmas, since Polar Express is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

As I have mentioned before we are going to be making our first trip to Magic Kingdom. We will only be there one day Saturday Feb 11th. What I am here for is to asking if there are cheaper ways to get tickets outside of their website?

Also any tips or tricks you might have to let me know about to get the most out of the day it would be appreciated.

^As far as tickets I wouldn't mess with any kind of second hand reduced price ticket sites these days. Buy them from Disney so you can book your fastpasses in advance.

As far as getting the most out of your day.Get there early, the opening show at the front gate is always pretty fun to check out. If you can't get a Fastpass for the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train the standby line early in the morning shouldn't be that bad (same goes for Space Mountain).

Book your fast passes as far in advance as you can, 30 days I believe for non-resort guests. I usually recommenced people to use fastpasses for lower capacity attractions like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Princess meet n greets and the Mine Train if you can get it obviously. Rides like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and even Big Thunder Mountain are usually under 45 minutes standby even on really crowded days, closer to like under 20 on mildly crowded days. Also if you plan to be there all day try to book/use your first 3 fastpasses in the morning/afternoon so you can book a 3rd, 4th etc after you have used the first 3. I would try to be there at opening, use the standby line for like 4 or 5 attractions between park opening and like 11 am, then have 3 fast passes to use between 11am and 2pm or so. After that book an additional fastpass for later in the evening.

^ My advice is honestly to skip Peter Pan entirely. It's an awful ride (sorry everyone but it is) and the line is always absurdly long. Quality-wise, I found Winnie the Pooh to be about on par with Boo Blasters at Kings Island so I would skip that too and spend that time riding good rides.

Excellent thank you. We plan on being there early. Looks like the park is open 9-9 that day. I am hoping that despite being a Saturday that it will be pretty low crowds considering time of year and that on their schedule for tickets it is at the cheapest price for the year

^ My advice is honestly to skip Peter Pan entirely. It's an awful ride (sorry everyone but it is) and the line is always absurdly long. Quality-wise, I found Winnie the Pooh to be about on par with Boo Blasters at Kings Island so I would skip that too and spend that time riding good rides.

This day is for my 3 year old and his favorite ride this year was Boo Blasters lol

This day is for my 3 year old and his favorite ride this year was Boo Blasters lol

Oh, well then he'll love Winnie the Pooh. There are more unimpressive 2D cutouts than you'll know what to do with. If you're going with a 3 year old then you should probably ride Peter Pan too but try to get a Fast Pass and don't expect the ride to live up to the queue length. For a kid it's probably pretty cool but unlike most of the other dark rides the cool factor doesn't really carry over for adults (at least it didn't for us).

I will politely disagree with you on Peter Pan, the line is always absurdly long because it's incredibly low capacity (which I why I recommend a Fast pass for it) but it's always been a pretty charming attraction. Maybe it's a bit of personal nostalgia but the "flying pirate ships" ride system is always fun, and as far as classic attractions go it's still one of my favorites.

Can't much argue with your take on Winnie the Pooh but my kids love it. Also, highly underrated interactive que. I don't mind waiting 45 minutes for it cause the kids can play while I argue with people like you on twitter.

Excellent thank you. We plan on being there early. Looks like the park is open 9-9 that day. I am hoping that despite being a Saturday that it will be pretty low crowds considering time of year and that on their schedule for tickets it is at the cheapest price for the year

Yeah, it seems like anymore when I go Magic Kingdom is the one park that's there is almost never a "light day". The lines for the major attractions might be shorter when it's less crowded but it almost always feels slammed anymore.

Also, just a note if you're newish to the whole Magic Kingdom thing, if you are trying to be there when it opens at 9am make sure to allocate enough time to park, ride the tram to the TTC, then ride either the Ferry boat or Monorail to the Magic Kingdom Main gate. Most parks you can be from car to main gate in about 10 minutes, at MK it might take 20-30. If you're taking a stroller for the little one ya might have to fold it up to get on and off the parking lot tram, which can be a pain. I usually let my wife take the kids on the tram while I walk the stroller and meet up at the TTC, a little less of a headache that way.

Yeah This is all completely new to me. We are staying at Shades of Green which is real close to the park by the looks of the map. I didn't book the room so I am unsure if they have shuttles and where they drop off so I will have to look into that.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the shuttle set up from Shades of Green but it's not a far walk from there over to the Polynesian Resort where you can hop on the resort monorail loop to the Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing less than a mile or so.

*edit, yeah a quick look at the google maps and it looks like there is a paved path with a crosswalk from Shades of Green over to the Polynesian Lobby where you can catch monorail.

I expected push back on Peter Pan and to each his own, stating that you think a classic Disney dark ride is complete trash is definitely a controversial statement but personally I think that ride absolutely sucks and needs a major upgrade. Right now it's far below the standards of what Disney can do and when you compare it to some of their other dark rides it really feels like a steaming pile of crap.

Shades of Green has its own buses for the parks, but for MK all the non Disney resort buses drop off at TTC. So basically the Shades of Green shuttle will drive you across the street and then you have to take the monorail or ferry. Or as the poster above said I guess you could walk to Polynesian and take the monorail if you like exercise.

Also Shades of Green buses are on schedules so sure to pick one up from the resort when you check in, because the intervals aren't nearly as often as the Disney buses.

I expected push back on Peter Pan and to each his own, stating that you think a classic Disney dark ride is complete trash is definitely a controversial statement but personally I think that ride absolutely sucks and needs a major upgrade. Right now it's far below the standards of what Disney can do and when you compare it to some of their other dark rides it really feels like a steaming pile of crap.

Yeah, the update they did for the ride in Shanghai looks really good. I'd love to see some of those effects mixed into the existing WDW ride sometime but I'll keep on enjoying it as is until then.......

No, Bill, you're wrong, and you're a terrible person for saying this!

Better?

Really, I agree. I rode it, and enjoyed it, but I went in with really low expectations. I wanted to ride it just because of the unique ride system. I had never seen a suspended dark ride before, and I don't know of any others. Without the suspended ride system, I would have skipped it entirely, like I did Winnie the Pooh. It was cool for the experience, but I have no reason to ever want to do that again unless there's a big overhaul.

Having not been to the parks since I was three I always assumed these parks were for kids and expect everything to be centered towards kids. With that said I am going in with low expectations and hoping to see my kids face light up like crazy and make the day worthwhile.

I never realized there was so much disdain for Peter Pan out there. I mean yeah I get that it's not entirely up to date or technologically stunning but for a 40+ year old ride based on a 60+ year old movie it's not entirely terrible (to me). Maybe I've just been riding it for the last 30 years of my life and never had any kind of expectations for it to not live up to.

This whole discussion does kind of make me wonder how a ride like that translates to younger generations or if it will/should ever be removed/updated. I certainly don't think a "classic" should remain as is just because it's a classic but I feel like for what it is (a kids ride) it's still perfectly fine just a tad low on the capacity.

No, Bill, you're wrong, and you're a terrible person for saying this!

Better?

Really, I agree. I rode it, and enjoyed it, but I went in with really low expectations. I wanted to ride it just because of the unique ride system. I had never seen a suspended dark ride before, and I don't know of any others. Without the suspended ride system, I would have skipped it entirely, like I did Winnie the Pooh. It was cool for the experience, but I have no reason to ever want to do that again unless there's a big overhaul.

I can see that. I grew up visiting Rehoboth Beach and they have a Haunted Mansion with a suspended ride system that they built mostly in house so that ride system isn't much of a novelty for me since I've ridden that thing countless times. Somehow, despite the fact that it was built on a small, seaside park budget I think that ride is infinitely more enjoyable than Peter Pan's Flight.

Having not been to the parks since I was three I always assumed these parks were for kids and expect everything to be centered towards kids. With that said I am going in with low expectations and hoping to see my kids face light up like crazy and make the day worthwhile.

The park is really built to appeal to everyone, not just kids. It doesn't have any thrill rides (aside from Space Mountain which is awesome and criminally underrated), but rides like Splash, Thunder, Pirates, Mansion and Mine Train appeal to every age group and by any definition are all excellent rides.

The best tip when visiting any Disney Park is to have a good game plan and arrive before opening to be at the "Rope Drop". We spend this Christmas at Disney World. While I wouldn't recommend visiting during such a busy time, with a smart plan it was just fine, so visiting any other time will be no problem. We were at MK on the 26. From 7am -9am,( Resort guests get in at 7am) all rides were walk ons with the exception of a 20 min wait for 7 Dwarfs. Even up to 11am the park was mostly under 30 min for various rides, so very manageable. We were done almost all major rides to then watch the parade at 1pm and head back to the hotel as we watched the hoards and hoards of people flow in. Dwarfs grew to a 130 min wait according to the Disney app that afternoon. We came back in the evening to use our 3 Fast passes on Dwarfs, Big Thunder and Space Mountain and watch fireworks. Christmas, the most busiest time of the year, was a blast with some brains.