Photo TR: Credit Run in the Northeast

iPlay America & Six Flags Great Adventure- Final Parks
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Credit Run in the Northeast

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Okemo Mountain Resort

About a half hour down the road from Killington is another mountain resort, Okemo. Killington seems more well known in the area for the skiing, but Okemo had a larger assortment of summer activities highlighted by the Timber Ripper Mountain Coaster. Okemo also had a ropes/adventure course, bungee jumping tower, air bag jump tower, mini golfing, and a few other activities. Finding the Adventure Zone area was a little challenging since the area is hidden from the parking lot, so be warned if you try and grab one of Vermont's only two credits.

The Timber Ripper Mountain Coaster is superior to its brother down the street. A Wiegand model, the Timber Ripper felt quite a bit taller than many of the other ones I've been on. The lift hill lasted an eternity like usual, but I definitely noticed the lift being steeper. Once the train crested the lift, the cart absolutely hauls it down the mountain through the first half. The turns have some really powerful laterals if you don't brake (and if you're on this site, I'm assuming you don't). However, there is then this long, straight flat section where the cart loses a lot of speed. The cart thankfully picks it back up for the end, but I just wish it didn't have that lull. It's still in the top third of mountain coasters I've been on, but it had the potential to be the top one without that section. I should also note, that this review covers my second ride. My first ride was ruined by an incredibly slow cart that was braking the whole way down. When the staff noticed this, they gave me a second lap for free which was much appreciated.

I also decided to try the Big Air Bag jump. They didn't really go over the proper form for jumping. They used to have an older airbag where form was critical, but the new one made it safe to land either back or feet first. I have to say, despite only being 20 feet up, this was a heck of a lot scarier than a roller coaster. The jump was definitely a rush and I'm glad they have the new air bag since I completely butchered my form and landed feet first.

Onto the photos!
Adventure Zone Entrance.JPG
Okemo Resort! The Adventure Zone is hidden behind that lodge.
Adventure Zone.JPG
Okemo's summer area was larger than Killington. In the top left you can see the Timber Ripper coaster, which is one of the best mountain coasters I've come across.
Timber Ripper Mountain Coaster Station.JPG
Obligatory station shot.
Timber Ripper Mountain Coaster Brake Zone.JPG
Mountain coasters are an absolute pain to photograph. But like most of them, this one had a really nice setting.
Big Air Bag.JPG
The absolutely terrifying air bag jump. I have lots of respect for movie stunt men.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Gunstock Mountain Resort

I actually visited this one before my trip to Canada, but forgot to post it. Gunstock just opened a mountain coaster (like a lot of the northeast ski resorts) in mid-August. I made it up within a week of the ride's opening to try it out. I had never been to Gunstock before, but it's a really nice resort with the aforementioned mountain coaster, an insane air bag ride, and a super long zipline.

Named the Mountain Coaster, Gunstock's model is another Wiegand and it's pretty average as far as mountain coasters go. The ride has a great setting, a few small dips that come close to giving airtime, and some decent laterals. But there's nothing that really makes it stand out from other mountain coasters. It is the closest one to me though and Gunstock has something that other resorts can't offer, the Bigairbag.

Gunstock is home to something that seemingly belongs in the "Never in America" category, but amazingly they have it. Named the Bigairbag, this isn't like a stunt man's jump onto an airbag (though they do have one of those). No, this is so much better. The park slicks up a downhill ramp with water, you board an inner tube, and then you fly down the hill and off a jump. You get a few seconds of air and then crash into the air bag. The park did an excellent job explaining how to ride safely (both from the operator and the waiver), so I really enjoyed the ride. It's a really unique rush that feels a lot rawer and freer than most rides out there. Definitely look up a video of this if you've never seen it before.

The resort also has a super fast zipline running from the summit of the mountain to the base where they boast riders can reach speeds of 70 mph. This was a pretty expensive zipline, so I skipped it but it may be something I'll try in the future.
Mountain Coaster Sign.JPG
The real reason I'm here.
Mountain Coaster Load Area.JPG
Newly opened, the Mountain Coaster was pretty average for this type of coaster.
Mountain Coaster Descent.JPG
The coaster had a nice setting as usual.
Big Air Bag.JPG
This is the Big Air Bag, something that I thought belonged in the "Never in America" category.
Big Air Bag Jump.JPG
I grabbed a tube and held on for my life since they really slicked that track. You hang in the air for a few seconds before landing on the bag.
Adventure Park Activities.JPG
Some more activities in the adventure park.
Zipline.JPG
The park boasts that this zipline can reach 70 mph. I'll have to try it sometime!
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:09 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I didn't realize Killington did that, but it makes sense now. A few coworkers went there a few weeks ago after we had our first (and very small) snowfall. I've never skiied, but if I did a course that crazy would be at the top of my list. I wonder how close that is to the Beast coaster.

That doesn't surprise me, this year they opened in October, almost a full month before any other ski area in the East. Last year they were the first ski area open in North America. Superstar isn't really all that close to the Beast Coaster. Killington has a lot of bike parks and summer activities and they keep them away from Superstar because (aside from the Mountain Coaster), the fact that they're skiing Superstar for 9 months out of the year would really put a damper on those things.

A lot of Ski areas have conflicts of interest with summer activities (like Camelback for example which has a water park in the ski area) and that can play a role in opening and closing dates. Killington keeps these things away from Superstar so they can be ready to light it up with snow guns at a moment's notice as soon as they see a snow making window. They also keep skiing on it way later than normal people would. Are you not entertained? (watch until the end)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:01 pm

That's a bit of a stretch. Montreal is pretty dumpy.
Yankee Cannonball <3

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Photo TR: Credit Run in the Northeast

Postby terdferg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:48 pm

coasterbill wrote:Ah the Beast of the East. Once we get a little better at skiing we need to head up there in June to ski Superstar and ride the Mountain Coaster. This place is famous for making an ungodly amount of snow on one trail (Superstar), including a massive stockpile up top known as Superstar glacier, so they can try to stay open until June and win a dick waving contest with the other eastern ski resorts. They're always the first to open and last to close in the east and they're on my bucket list simply because of their arrogance. It's wonderful. Last year they were skiing superstar on 90 degree days.

Generally be the end of this the trail looks like this, but they ski it anyway.

I'll have to find my photos, but a few years back the superstar trail had so much snow made on it, that while skiing you were higher up than the lift at one point of the trail near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:56 pm

coasterbill wrote:A lot of Ski areas have conflicts of interest with summer activities (like Camelback for example which has a water park in the ski area) and that can play a role in opening and closing dates. Killington keeps these things away from Superstar so they can be ready to light it up with snow guns at a moment's notice as soon as they see a snow making window. They also keep skiing on it way later than normal people would. Are you not entertained? (watch until the end)

I can't believe they saw the snow stop and just kept going down the muddy/dirty hill.

terdferg wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Ah the Beast of the East. Once we get a little better at skiing we need to head up there in June to ski Superstar and ride the Mountain Coaster. This place is famous for making an ungodly amount of snow on one trail (Superstar), including a massive stockpile up top known as Superstar glacier, so they can try to stay open until June and win a dick waving contest with the other eastern ski resorts. They're always the first to open and last to close in the east and they're on my bucket list simply because of their arrogance. It's wonderful. Last year they were skiing superstar on 90 degree days.

Generally be the end of this the trail looks like this, but they ski it anyway.

I'll have to find my photos, but a few years back the superstar trail had so much snow made on it, that while skiing you were higher up than the lift at one point of the trail near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds both awesome and questionable in terms of safety.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Adventureland

After visiting a friend in Connecticut and dropping them off Sunday morning, I had an ambitious plan- hit five new parks in one day (Adventureland, Bowcraft, Land of Make Believe, Camelback Resort, and Party Zone U.S.A.). Originally I was only going to hit Adventureland and Boomers, but news broke that Bowcraft was closing (thanks TPR Forum) so I modified my plans. Boomers didn't survive, but Adventureland did and I'm glad I visited this compact park.

Adventureland really packs a lot into a small space while still having very nice landscaping around rides such as the flume, Antique Cars, and Ladybug Coaster. I had heard the park was small, but I didn't realize just how narrow the park was.

The real reason for my visit was to try their new Mack spinning coaster Turbulence. Prior to riding the Knott's Berry Farm's Sierra Sidewinder was my favorite spinner since it was the most forceful and spinniest of them. Turbulence was just a hair better than Sierra Sidewinder. After hearing the ridiculous Turbulence song going up the lift, the coaster is non-stop spinning and directional changes. Considering how compact the layout is, more parks really need to add coasters like this. It was glass smooth and I would have loved to ride it more if time permitted.

I also took rides on the Ladybug Coaster (nice theming, but pretty meh coaster), Crocodile Run (weird water whip ride, pretty fun but I drove careful to stay dry), and the Drop n Twist tower (tilting was interesting off ride, but not super noticeable on ride).
Pirate Ship.JPG
Welcome to Adventureland, the world's narrowest amusement park. Props to the park for fitting so many rides in.
Turbulence.JPG
Turbulence was amazing. Fast, great layout, and non-stop spinning.
Turbulence Lift Hill.JPG
I couldn't help but laugh cresting the hill as "Turbulence" was blasted over speakers. Oh the music of the 2010's.
Turbulence Bunny Hill.JPG
Every park should add one of these Mack spinners.
Ladybug Coaster.JPG
Oh yeah there's also a very nicely landscaped junior coaster next door.
Adventure Falls.JPG
Unfortunately the nice looking log flume was closed with it being September.
Crocodile Run (Horizontal).JPG
Yet the whip on water was open.
Ghost House.JPG
I really wish a second rider wasn't needed; I've heard this ride was awesomely bad.
Frisbee.JPG
Frisbee was arguably the park's most thrilling ride.
Musik Express.JPG
So many flats packed into a small area.
Antique Cars Covered Bridge.JPG
There's also a nice set of Antique Cars.
Stinky Feet.JPG
And Stinky Feet.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Bowcraft Amusement Park

This trip report is bittersweet, as it may be the last ever one of Bowcraft Amusement Park. Bowcraft was one of those parks I had planned to visit for a few years, but never got around to it (mainly because of Six Flags Great Adventure, blame El Toro). Once I heard Bowcraft was closing, I finally made my way to the park. Bowcraft was the perfect family park. Basically all of the rides were kid-friendly, the park was clean, and the operations (albeit with low crowds) were fast.

Crossbow was my primary reason for visiting and it was a solid coaster. The trains were extremely comfortable and open, the latter being something pretty weird but cool for a family coaster. The ride had some moderately forceful turns and decent speed, but there was some vibrating throughout the lower turns. I took a few laps on Crossbow and really wish someone can save it since it's better than your average roller skater or galaxi coaster.

The rest of the park had an interesting mix of rides. There were some rides with relatively large footprints considering the park's small size such as the Speedway car ride and the Train. Then there was a mix of classic flats such as the Paratrooper or Tilt-a-Whirl and newer flats like the Swinger and Drop Zone. They also had a kiddie coaster, which I of course rode.

As a roller coaster enthusiast, I'm sad to see any park go, but this honestly wasn't a park I would have made plans to return to in the near future due to its lack of thrill rides. But for what Bowcraft was (a nice family park), it succeeded and will be missed by its targeted audience.
Bowcraft Sign.JPG
My first and last ever visit to Bowcraft.
Midway.JPG
Bowcraft was a nice little park highlighted by that coaster in the back.
Crossbow.JPG
Crossbow was a solid family coaster. Nothing too wild, but better than a clone.
Crossbow Lift Hill.JPG
The trains were pretty sweet.
Crossbow Entrance.JPG
Look at those twisties.
Dragon Entrance.JPG
I don't know what's worse- riding a kiddie coaster with kids or all alone.
Dragon Layout.JPG
With these crowds, alone was what I did.
Speedway Station.JPG
The park also has/had an elaborately themed car ride, Speedway.
Speedway (Outside).JPG
There are animals.
Speedway (Inside).JPG
More animals and a Red Coat soldier. That's a better story than Adventure Express.
Train Entrance.JPG
Despite the park's small size, they had some rides that took up a lot of space like the Train.
Tilt-a-Whirl.JPG
And several flats scattered throughout like the Tilt-a-Whirl.
Swinger.JPG
And the creatively named Swinger.
Balloons.JPG
And the even more creatively named Balloons.
Route 22 Bump-a-rama.JPG
At least the bumper cars have a creative name.
Drop Zone.JPG
For those graduating the Frog Hopper, there's the Drop Zone. Over twice as tall!
Paratrooper.JPG
I miss Canobie's Paratrooper.
Fun Slide.JPG
Doesn't that look fun?
Big Bertha.JPG
Big Bertha, I'll throw balls in your mouth any day.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Last thing I had read was that the owners said they were opening in 2017 like normal. I'm not far from this place and I never heard of it until someone here posted about the possible closing.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 pm

I remember reading that the plans to sell the park were incorrect but then there was a follow-up story plans to close the park and redevelop it with condos was submitted.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!