TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

With the announcement today that major changes are coming to Epcot, this confirms Disney is doubling down on what I call the "DCA effect." Its become clear Disney has purposely been holding off on building big new rides the past decade in order to do these massive renovations and expansions (DTD, DAK, DHS, and now Epcot). Itll be interesting to see what happens after all the current projects are complete.

I don't think Disney ever plans to do massive renovations and expansions, they're forced into doing it because of market forces. US Parks attendance was down 10% in Q3 2016. The amount of constant cash expenditure required and the kind of business model EPCOT employs are somewhat unique, and truthfully, I'd suggest it is not a healthy one. They've exhausted the avenues they had, and now they're in a position where the amount of work that needs to be done has built up significantly over a period of many years. The cause is not the desire to spend $4 billion at once, it is an effect of not being able to find other parties willing to spend their money for Disney's attractions over an extended period.

So what's rumored to be in the works? We've heard a number of things so far... including the obvious and long-in-the-tooth rumor about installing a brand new edition of "Illiuminations" to entertain park guests each and every night around World Showcase.

Please don't change Illuminations in any way, shape or form. Given what they did to World of Color, I prefer the current version, thank you.

I'm glad to see Muppets Mobile Lab is coming back. I encountered it in Hong Kong Disneyland,

and Bunsen and Beaker were pretty cool to actually see and hear, even though it was all in another language.

P.S. They should take the "Lab" over to Hollywood Studios, and use it to help "theme up" that area more,

for The Muppets. And while they're there, something's got to be done about Star Tours. It's totally separate from

what's eventually turning into Star Wars Land. Maybe a Muppets-themed simulator ride (in their bus!)

thru Hollywood, perhaps? With knowing jokes about it all being a simulator, etc. Muppet-style jokes.

1354938895_Resizeof0006_20.jpg.f2c828f50ec3fe27b21ceb1cf28a105d.jpg

TPR 2012 China/Hong Kong Tour.

• 4 weeks later...

So Attractions Magazine wrote THIS ARTICLE about a new upcharge "express" bus service being offered at Walt Disney World to takes guests between the parks faster. People bitched up a storm about it and we were trying to figure out WHY!?!? We went and did some research today and honestly couldn't find ANYTHING that someone could possibly be upset about over this.

Here is what we found:

- This does not impact normal guests in anyway at all.

- All normal resort/park busses run as they always have without any additional charge.

- In fact, this REMOVES guests from the normal lines and improves the typical guest experience with the current bus system.

- You do not need to go through bag check or security at your next park destination.

- It takes some back stage roads that guests are not allowed for quicker access.

- You skip the turnstile at your next destination.

- Did I mention no bag check at security when you get to your next park?

- At $24 per week, or about $3.50 per day of unlimited use, why would you not take advantage of this if you're staying on property for any length of time???

- And if you don't want to spend that money, no one is forcing you to and you can still take the normal busses, and now with fewer people thanks to this new option.

So explain to me again, how does this impact guests in ANY WAY at all??? It doesn't. Why do people feel the need to just constantly complain about ANYTHING without even understanding what they are complaining about or how it impacts them. Because those people who don't want to spend the money actually BENEFIT from the new service and those people are either too stupid to figure that out, or just want to complain.

I have said it before and I will say it again now: With all the crazy stuff happening in the world right now, anyone who chooses to complain about a theme park has their priorities REALLY screwed up. Theme parks are there to share fun and happiness with everyone and we need as much of that as we can get right now. So people, STOP YOUR COMPLAINING!!!

IMG_1996.thumb.JPG.677db327e9fa2d2ad785568996cffe39.JPG

IMG_1998.thumb.JPG.dff00ede0a18f2cf75aa3a5ebbe0b557.JPG

IMG_1999.thumb.JPG.d12942149de453382e629389c7aeb1fd.JPG

Edited by robbalvey

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to a week ago when the same people were crying about the cabanas that also have zero negative impact on people that don't want to use them which means there's no reason to complain.

I can't wait to see what they're bitching about next week...

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to a week ago when the same people were crying about the cabanas that also have zero negative impact on people that don't want to use them which means there's no reason to complain.

I can't wait to see what they're bitching about next week...

I really try to understand these Disney "fans"... really I do! I see what they are complaining about on these other Disney-centric sites and really try to look at things objectively but really all I ever come away with is "So, wait, WHY exactly are we complaining about this??!?!" You would think that someone who is a true Disney "fan" would be applauding and happy that Disney is constantly changing and trying new things, experimenting with guest service options ALL THE FREAKING TIME to better the guest experience. But no, all they seem to do is bitch and complain whenever *ANYTHING* changes at all even in the slightest.

I really don't get it. I live in Orlando and are at the parks all the time. All I see is improvements happening all around the resort, really everywhere you look, and I don't get where people are finding things to complain about.

Maybe they are all just really sad, horrible jaded people where the only thing that makes them happy is finding things to be miserable about. I'm so happy I'm not this person!

Edited by robbalvey

I was kind of surprised they were going to allow guests into "backstage areas" even if it is just in limited places to board buses, but this seems like an awesome option to me. Totally worth the extra cash, which again like you said for a 5 or 7 day trip isn't even all that much.

Disney "fans" think that anything that looks remotely like it would make money is Bob Iger personally taking a piss on Walt's grave. I've never been much for hopping from park-to-park on any given day of a trip to WDW, but this would make it way more convenient by taking away the security check waits and the long walk to the bus loading area.

Disney "fans" think that anything that looks remotely like it would make money is Bob Iger personally taking a piss on Walt's grave.

There is this, and the other thing I've noticed is that many of them are too stupid to understand that a lot of the services that Walt Disney World offers are not targeted at "locals" who have annual passholders. For example I saw this written....

819196331_ScreenShot2016-12-15at16_36_46.png.637bb8ec1fc2ddca54d5ea3e9f323ee1.png

This is what I don't get. Do people either:

a) honestly believe that features like this and the cabanas are being marketed to locals who live in the area with a car and annual passes?

or are they

b) just too stupid to understand that Walt Disney World is a "destination resort" and the majority of it's audience is coming from hundreds to thousands of miles away for a "trip of a lifetime" and these additional benefits are for them.

Because *I* get it. And I wouldn't suggest someone who is a local who lives in the area with an annual pass and a car take advantage of this, but someone who is coming into town and either has a limited amount of time, or just wants to have a slightly more relaxing transportation experience during their length of stay, I would absolutely suggest this service!

This is the problem I feel with many Disney "fans" especially the Orlando locals. They don't get that the resort isn't creating all these offers just for the THEM. And it hurts my brain that they can't figure it out...

Edited by robbalvey

Disney "fans" think that anything that looks remotely like it would make money is Bob Iger personally taking a piss on Walt's grave.

I've seen a lot of comments over the last couple of years (about Disney in general) that "all they care about is making more money". Well, isn't that what 99,9% of businesses are about?? And seriously, $24 for a 7-day pass is a bargain!

879610602_ScreenShot2016-12-15at18_19_43.png.c12986cf9354650e1af1b52b9110e35b.png

Again, more stupid comments from people that just don't "get it." You don't *NEED* to spend the money. No one is forcing you. This isn't hurting you at all if you don't spend the money. There is already a free and efficient way to get from park to park, this is just an even FASTER way to do it. And how is it that people really don't understand that this option makes it so FEWER PEOPLE ARE USING THE NORMAL TRANSPORTATION!

Even if you choose NOT to spend the extra money, absolutely EVERYONE is benefiting from this due to this service being offered.

And why are people only focusing on the $15 option? Oh, I get it... so it SOUNDS like it's more money. But realistically, I'll bet most people that do this, do the $24 for a week option and is only spending $3.50 per day. And even if you did get the $15 option.... WHO CARES?!?!? Again, this does NOT HURT ANYONE by having this service being offered.

I just wish people weren't so dumb.

Edited by robbalvey

If we do a park we think we think we can't do often or once in a lifetime we always try and spring for a fast-pass to get the most out of the day. Take out the buses and give me quick check-in only and I'd still be extremely happy to save that time for $3.

I only have Tokyo to go off of for this (since Hong Kong has always been dead when we visit) but that line can take up time we'd rather not lose even with Japanese efficiency. We normally get there early by an hour but now we have a very young son, I'd pay to avoid that hour at the gate. Orlando is a once in a life-time for us and we would definitely pay for this to avoid.... not sure how long people wait on peak days. (we can only travel Christmas week or first week of august). That 7 day pass is only $3.50 a day as Robb said. I'd pay way more than that for TDS to get a chance of making it to Toy Story Mania (the only ride I still haven't done) without needing to be at the park super early and dodging the masses.

Edited by Garet

I would happily pay $24 for a week's worth of only needing to f' around with security once a day.

The more hardcore the Disney fan, it seems like the more delusional they get. They aren't interested in theme parks, they're interested in Disney, which provides them self identity and the world's biggest "safe space" to make complete BS up and repeat it to one another as if it were gospel. "You can't take guests backstage!" they scream. Meanwhile, they fork over money to walk around the Utilidors with a guide because it fulfills the lamest dream of all time. What they really mean is "You can only take me, the special guest that understands, backstage!"

People aren't happy unless they're complaining. I didn't even think of the advantages of less people riding the regular buses. Usually I do not hop parks in Florida (I did 12 times in one day in California though!) but this package would make a whole lot of sense!

I go on a Disney theme park message board from time to time because there is some great info about the parks admist all the complaining. If you ever want a good laugh though head over there and read about this or the cabanas. You would think it was the worst thing that ever happened in the world.

The more hardcore the Disney fan, it seems like the more delusional they get. They aren't interested in theme parks, they're interested in Disney, which provides them self identity and the world's biggest "safe space" to make complete BS up and repeat it to one another as if it were gospel. "You can't take guests backstage!" they scream. Meanwhile, they fork over money to walk around the Utilidors with a guide because it fulfills the lamest dream of all time. What they really mean is "You can only take me, the special guest that understands, backstage!"

Can I please get this printed on cards and hand it out at the next Disney fan convention?

Edited by robbalvey

I don't think the prices are as big of a deal as the fans and enthusiasts make them out to be. WDW caters to upper middle class/higher income demographic and most of those people know what to expect price wise when they go. Getting a hot dog or beer at any pro sports stadium is about the same, if not a little more, than what it cost at WDW. And for major markets ticket prices are comparable as well. I'm looking at the Clippers website and a single ticket for lower bowl is a little over $100 and for that you're getting like 2 hours of ubiquitous entertainment. For that same price at Disney you are getting all the rides, parades, shows, fireworks, etc. Now granted WDW is a lot more expensive because the length of stay aspect, but I think most people realize its a vacation that they're going to do once every 5 years or so, so whatever.

In regards to doom & gloom that is the internet for you. There are a lot of people out there that don't really understand the way the economy works. Companies are going to charge what they can charge to maximize profits. Period. If someone doesn't understand that then they're going to have problems .

I'm just going to put this here because I found it really sad that a cast member would be participating in all the complaining. At least I can speak from experience that this person does not represent the CMs as a whole. Just sort of shocked at the attitude. I think she needs to find a new occupation, or at least a new employer...

1825728307_cm1.thumb.png.668d9a1cb9a064a3044a8836b4c352c3.png

2137943724_cm2.png.07ec4925f2c3561e125cbb2e4ce9e890.png

1591583689_cm5.png.e942283620b90cd54eec0cd8c6b7a39f.png

1019673948_cm3.jpg.9873ea1e7edbdd84063f15142e2276c8.jpg

2137773323_cm4.png.11e1e8a7b5e3f974c828e6d948853cc8.png

^Er, bitching about your employer on social media is just plain dumb.

I've looked at this new policy and see no downside. It's a nice extra service for people who want to spring for it, and it doesn't affect other guests at all.

This is what I don't get. Do people either:

a) honestly believe that features like this and the cabanas are being marketed to locals who live in the area with a car and annual passes?

or are they

b) just too stupid to understand that Walt Disney World is a "destination resort" and the majority of it's audience is coming from hundreds to thousands of miles away for a "trip of a lifetime" and these additional benefits are for them.

As someone who isn't...particularly thrilled with the cabanas, I see no issue with the express bus service. I want to say that Disney is trying to eat into the Uber and Lyft crowd with this service. I'd be willing to believe that people would choose to Uber or Lyft around the resort to not have to deal with waiting around for the buses - especially if the situation is the same as it was a few years ago, where you had to jump on a resort bus and THEN connect to a park bus to get to another park. That whole process could take over an hour!

And you're absolutely right about the locals vs tourists thing! When you've spent an obscene amount of money on your vacation, the last thing you want to worry about is logistics.

I've looked at this new policy and see no downside. It's a nice extra service for people who want to spring for it, and it doesn't affect other guests at all.

This is what really bothers me, the people complaining don't seem to realize that this doesn't affect them negatively at all (It actually has a positive affect on them, as Robb mentioned earlier, with less people using the free system).

I almost feel bad for Disney employees that don't make anything, but maybe they should, you know, threaten to disrupt the place by organizing together to make these demands? Or maybe she needs to think about trying to get a job elsewhere in the company that makes more money, even if it isn't as glamorous. That's kinda on them that they put ridiculous idealism ahead of their own lives, not me.

Disney, by design, isn't for poor people barely scraping by. What really upsets people like this cast member is the crushing reality that Disney is not intended for people of their economic status and never, ever was. The kind of introspection about themselves and their relationship to Disney is deeply uncomfortable, and they outright reject even the slightest bit of thought about it. It is much, much easier for them to construct a totally false reality with completely fake facts than confront the truth because their entire lives are about serving this company.