TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Announcing "Skyline Attractions"

Okay so while watching the Lego movie today I had a thought about the "crazy couch" and came up with the next generation of this ride. It will of course be the "Double Decker Crazy Couch"!

I'll just leave this here...

^ Loved that ride!

I actually visited inside there a few years ago its absolutely empty there are just a few small shops left there. Its crazy how fast that place went bad and my father told me about the drop tower in it and he has been on it. Does anyone know where it went (trying not to go to off topic but also interested)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, it looks pretty fun!

I walked by it and I honestly thought it looked kind of lame. I saw lots of kiddie rides at the show and just didn't feel like it stood out enough as something we would feature. Honestly, the guys at Skyline have made some of the highest rated roller coasters in the world. I'm anxiously awaiting for them to show us something that really stands out. So far, I feel like we haven't seen it from this company. They've made several rides that serve a certain market, sure, and hopefully they are successful with them, but nothing I've seen that is really noteworthy beyond what companies like Zamperla does with some of their kiddie rides. The Zamperla "hangliding" family ride with the kite mechanism that controlled how high you went based on wind (kind of like a vertical flying scooter) THAT was a cool kiddie ride. Crazy Couch? Not so much.

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.b59be4bea8a1e8a16621453cd2e0a6d0.JPG

Edited by robbalvey

• 9 months later...

That's definitely interesting. Nice solution to the low capacity complaints of the Larson Superloops, have two loading platforms so that it would be like running two trains at once.

Just curious, can anyone tell if the animation is using lap bars or OTSR? I can't really tell on mobile.

The video is only in 480p maximum resolution, you wouldn't be able to tell anyway, but, honestly, I don't think it really matters.

I was trying to figure out why a new company debuting a new ride would have uploaded a video in a resolution from like 2006, but whatever, the ride at least looks "interesting" I guess? It least it's a ride that you can see on a parks "skyline" that actually lends itself to the name of their company!

^I dont think the video was ever "released" since its still unlisted on youtube. My understanding was that it was shared to certain people just for the naming contest for the ride. Maybe its still just an early concept..

It takes ZERO EFFORT to upload a video at 1080p versus 480. Why would any company want to put their first impression out to anyone at such low quality?

Edited by robbalvey

I honestly would consider what they put out in the survey and the unlisted YouTube video as a playblast (click for those who don't know) of what would be their main marketing material. I would absolutely want to render out and composite the animation at either 1080p or even 2K when the time comes for official press blasts and the like. But, for something that exists merely to demonstrate the ride concept to only the people who like the company enough to take the survey and click through, I think it gets the job done, rough as it is.

I have no idea what sort of resources or computer render power they have, nor do I know if they outsource the rendering to farms like Render Rocket - however, assuming they're designing rides, they likely have CAD-crunching machines, workstation-grade processors with "sufficient" graphics cards. If outsourcing wasn't viable, I would likely follow a similar pipeline. When the design is near-final, take a night to render out a lower-resolution playblast of the animation to give people a gist of what the ride is; Finish the design and have schematics ready to go to make sure I've covered all the bases to sell the thing at a show (like the IAAPA Expo in November); THEN take the time to render out a full HD animation with proper editing, titles and the like to make a great piece of marketing material.

On my own desktop computer, I have a new gaming-grade graphics card, so I have the capability to, say, through the CAD geometry into a game engine or GPU renderer like Unreal, Lumion, etc and whip up a good-looking simulation. But I'm technically just a freelancer right now, I have to have a machine that can do both CPU and GPU depending on the project...

Usual "based on assumption, speculation, previous experience, etc and likely not totally correct" disclaimer.

This looks like a neat ride to observe from the midway, and probably a relatively neat thrill ride to ride. But man, that is a lot of wheels and axles in comparison to the sections of the "train" that have vehicles. A lot of moving stuff to maintain and repair.

^I think the complexity of the infinity loop is to distinguish the ride concept from the Larson Super Loop by having a unique layout. I'd imagine that Skyline Attractions has other designs in the works, but this design certainly catches the eye upon first glance.

That being said, it will be very interesting to see if anyone buys and if so who, and what form the ride takes if/when it debuts. This is a huge jump in product class from anything they've produced to date as a company...

This is a really cool concept. Similar ride experience to a super loop, but with a cool deuling design that's more visually appealing IMO.

This might be an appealing option to a park looking for something like a super loop or boomerang. I dig it, it's simple, but a really smart design. I hope it's a success for them.

• 1 month later...

Skyline Attractions has produced a full reveal / marketing video for the new SkyWarp attraction, just in time for the opening of the IAAPA Attractions Expo this year. Check it out!

Excerpt from the press blast:

"Skywarp has everything that operators of all sizes desire: Big impact, big thrills, big visibility, and big capacity with a small footprint and a small price," the Skyline team boasted. The ride is 62 feet tall with a track length of 360 feet and fits on a site just 30 feet wide and 120 feet long. It seats 32 riders per cycle and thrills 800 per hour.

Skywarp can be installed on a customer's foundation or supplied with a base frame for semi-permanent installation. While drive tires will be the standard propulsion method, linear synchronous motors from a proven industry expert are an optional substitute to further streamline the system. Both methods will gradually rock the train back and forth until reaching full speed, reducing power consumption and minimizing required infrastructure improvements.

More here: http://www.skylineattractions.com/?p=press&i=20161114-affordable-and-thrilling-roller-coaster-offers-visibility-and-capacity-with-a-small-footprint