The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 pm

i've ridden Ghostrider a handful of times since it's reopened. but, always during the day. very fun. but during ERT last night, at night, it felt like another coaster all together. i want to say it seemed to me one of the coasters with the biggest differences in night and day rides i've been on. i'm definitely a back row guy on ghostrider as well. the front did pretty much nothing for me. last 3-4 rows i'm happy. :br :br

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:45 pm

CedarFlags wrote:Ghostrider has been opening late this week. And a little birdie told me to expect some pe-Haunt maintenance again this year.

The park told us directly yesterday that Ghostrider is going down for maintenance beginning today. They said that Xcelerator is also going down at the same time for cable replacement. They elaborated by saying that to expect Ghostrider to still undergo roughly the same maintenance schedule from now on, though at least for now it's not for retracking. It's more for hardware adjustments due to natural changes in the new wood.

One trivia tidbit I found particularly interesting is that they said that the refurb was 3 years in the making and that one inspiration for part of the reprofiling (particularly taking out the mcbr) was Gold Striker at CGA. They said they liked how it ran full out from start to finish and never slowed down, and I think they did a great job achieving that same experience with the refurb.

And yes that means GhostRider is definitely back. I got 10 laps in yesterday but could have done twice that if there were enough time. There is no more discomfort in this ride, it's simply fantastic. You get more air in the front, but the back row is nice too as I feel like I get more lateral G's as you get whipped around the corners. In this condition it's the best traditional woodie on the west coast. It's also my new favorite overall night ride. That new lighting package is perfect.

Knott's and GCI hit it out of the park with this project. Completely blew away my expectations of just how much better they could make the ride, but at the same time I'm not surprised as that's the kind of people that run Knott's.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:15 pm

jtaudioacc wrote:i've ridden Ghostrider a handful of times since it's reopened. but, always during the day. very fun. but during ERT last night, at night, it felt like another coaster all together. i want to say it seemed to me one of the coasters with the biggest differences in night and day rides i've been on.

I agree; I was there a few weeks ago and found the same to be true. I was indifferent to the post-rehab version, but the night rides made it feel a more like the old relentless Ghost Rider but without the pain. Back seat's indeed a blast, but I must say that I found the front to provide some nice launches over the first camel back, the hill after "the drop," and the two smaller bunny hops on the return leg.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:24 am

Some post West Coast Bash thoughts...

1. It's very obvious KBF cares about hosting the event every year. The Q&A is always tons of fun and you can tell their marketing team puts effort into making the day special. Kudos to everyone!

2. Got my first rides on Ghostrider 2.0. It's as close to old Ghostrider as we're going to get...basically feels out of control again minus the ejector air, which was all replaced by pops of floater air. So Ghostrider moved from the bottom of my list to soundly at the top of the middle tier (I'm a fan of ejector air over anything else if I had to pick).

3. Iron Reef still has it's flaws (mainly the WTF story and low capacity), but it works well for the park. I enjoyed it more this time around.
Last edited by Jew on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:25 am.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:50 am

Jew wrote:Some post West Coast Bash thoughts...

2. Got my first rides on Ghostrider 2.0. It's as close to old Ghostrider as we're going to get...basically feels out of control again minus the ejector air, which was all replaced by pops of floater air. So Ghostrider moved from the bottom of my list to soundly at the top of the middle tier (I'm a fan of ejector air over anything else if I had to pick).

I very much agree with this. The "drop" is not nearly as good as it was during it's prime, but the collective whole is SO much better. The second half in the front row has a ton of small pops!
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Postby coasterlvr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 pm

the main Knott's parking lot got a new slurry coat today. drove by earlier and saw the lot all nice, clean and black.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:48 pm

I saw during WCB that they had already demolished the buildings they bought to replace the parking spots lost by the Soak City expansion. Nice that it seems like the whole parking lot will get taken care of as part of the project.
Last edited by Jew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:48 pm.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Freestyle23 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 pm

jtaudioacc wrote:i've ridden Ghostrider a handful of times since it's reopened. but, always during the day. very fun. but during ERT last night, at night, it felt like another coaster all together. i want to say it seemed to me one of the coasters with the biggest differences in night and day rides i've been on. i'm definitely a back row guy on ghostrider as well. the front did pretty much nothing for me. last 3-4 rows i'm happy. :br :br

Are you saying riding at night was even better?

Postby coasterlvr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Freestyle23 wrote:
jtaudioacc wrote:i've ridden Ghostrider a handful of times since it's reopened. but, always during the day. very fun. but during ERT last night, at night, it felt like another coaster all together. i want to say it seemed to me one of the coasters with the biggest differences in night and day rides i've been on. i'm definitely a back row guy on ghostrider as well. the front did pretty much nothing for me. last 3-4 rows i'm happy. :br :br

Are you saying riding at night was even better?

i'm one who doesn't like to say things like this, but yes, for me, it was better at night. during the day, i haven't been as impressed. i was thinking because of how much ghostrider runs through the structure makes it better at night. compared to like Twisted Colossus, it basically feels the same to me, day or night.

currently, i'd say it's similar to the difference on The Beast day vs. night.

i couldn't get enough during ERT. :b :b

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Knott's Berry Farm has sent us a press release about the return of the popular daytime family event, Knott's Spooky Farm!

image001.png

The daytime park wide, family-friendly Halloween celebration, geared for kids ages 3 - 11, Knott’s Spooky Farm, returns on weekends in October and Halloween Day, starting October 1. Knott’s Berry Farm invites families to join in the Halloween fun by participating in hands on and fun activities and all new experiences in Ghost Town, Fiesta Village, Boardwalk Ballroom and Camp Snoopy. The special limited-time event serves up live entertainment, trick-or-treating, a costume contest and exclusive festivities honoring the 50th anniversary of the classic Peanuts animated TV special It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

Knott’s Spooky Farms’ friendly monsters will return to Main Street to invite kids to trick-or-treat for tasty sweets by ringing whimsically themed doorbells. Surprise the little explorer in your pack by visiting the kid-friendly Spooky Hollow Maze in Camp Snoopy which offers an enchanting experience through a spooky forest with larger-than-life jack-o-lanterns and keep an eye out for the friendly headless horseman. Kids can engage with Linus and Sally while celebrating the 50th anniversary of the classic Peanuts, It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!, in Ghost Town with special Halloween themed activities like decorating their very own pumpkin head, for a nominal fee.

New this year, the Ghastly Gallery hosted in the Boardwalk Ballroom, welcomes little ghouls to enter a monstrous museum where they can explore spooky culture and even have the artistic opportunity to display their “monsterpieces” and visit the Monsterpiece Theatre. Also, head over to Fiesta Village for some vibrant fun with a Dia de los Muertos non-scary, friendly, educational celebration of the season.

The spooky fun continues in Camp Snoopy where the Peanuts gang will host a spooktacular costume contest which invites families to bring their festively costumed children for some Halloween fun! Additionally, families can watch the Peanuts Gang in The Monsters Are Coming, Charlie Brown, where they’ll have guests of all ages singing and dancing along to classic Halloween tunes at the Camp Spooky Theatre.

A 2017 Knott’s Season Pass is the best way to experience all of the Knott’s Spooky Farm fun with the family. New 2017 Season Passes include one free admission during the 2016 season to Knott’s Berry Farm and unlimited visits in 2017 with no blackout dates, discounts on select food and merchandise, and access to exciting year-round seasonal events. 2017 Season Passes are now available at the best offer of the year for a limited time on knotts.com.

Knott’s Spooky Farm runs weekends October 1 – Halloween Day from 10:00 am to 4:00pm, and is included with regular park admission. For more information on all the exciting things that are going on at Knott’s Berry Farm, visit us online at knotts.com and follow the conversation using #KnottsSpookyFarm
Knott's Spooky Farm Trick or Treating 2.jpg
Knott's Spooky Farm Pumpkin Decorating.jpg
Knott's Spooky Farm Kids On Ride.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!