TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NASA Social Trip Report - April 2016

As you are probably aware, TPR gets invited to share some super cool experiences at NASA's Kennedy Space Center from time to time. In April we live tweeted from an amazing event at Cape Canaveral which included a launch of a SpaceX rocket. Here is what we reported on...

Oh, yeah, please follow NASA Social. They are @NASASocial on pretty much ever social media channel.

CfbmOzXUMAAgjeo.jpg

Today we'll be tweeting from a #NASASocial event at Kennedy Space Center!

CfcJbPoUMAIuIYj.jpg

CfcJbPwUAAAJ4cy.jpg

Gonna be space geeking out @NASAKennedy for 2 days @NASASocial @SpaceX CRS-8 launch event!

CfcPWO8UAAAWrRL.jpg

Lots of space stuff happens in this building! Going inside now!

CfcRhMaVAAI93kz.jpg

CfcRhMmVAAA0szb.jpg

CfcRhNJUYAE65F3.jpg

CfcRhNRUIAAmuGK.jpg

Lobby of the Neil Armstrong building showing off some past & recent #NASA projects!

Cfcd90mUEAA4F3O.jpg

Neil Armstrong's Apollo mission suit!

CfcgHP2UUAAI-bj.jpg

Park your space ship here!

CfcieHTUIAYtGpc.jpg

CfcieHRUkAAY1Pk.jpg

CfcieH5VAAAleIb.jpg

CfcieJKUkAA_BcM.jpg

Standing in the building where Orion crew modules will be built! So cool!

CfcnaFbUUAAfnfG.jpg

CfcnaFbVIAE8ZTU.jpg

CfcnaGDUkAAht6C.jpg

CfcnaGPUIAAeL9m.jpg

Working on the test Orion crew capsule that will eventually take humans to Mars! Amazing!

Cfcp3dCUAAA1wsR.jpg

"Now that's a big door!" #Tron

CfcvwRjUMAAc86F.jpg

Me and the V.A.B! Just hanging out together!

CfdDJyKUIAA59cJ.jpg

Hanging out in the press annex presentation about life on the space station!

CfdH4YJUMAAZgBc.jpg

Go, Science, GO! My favorite slide EVER!!!

CfdJ_k-UYAASo_W.jpg

Trent Smith has been a fountain of knowledge about the cargo being sent to #ISS

CfdQqj-UkAA33Si.jpg

CfdQqj_UIAE_BBH.jpg

CfdQqktUIAEJTHP.jpg

CfdQqlnUMAA4anc.jpg

Not a new Light Saber! This how water, seeds, & plants are transported to #ISS!

CfdY-saUUAIhIOw.jpg

Anna Sophia talks studying DNA on the Space Station. She's a HIGH SCHOOL senior & way smarter than us!

CfdzXJrUkAAig5I.jpg

CfdzXJPUYAAU5g0.jpg

CfdzXJ_UUAA3BWf.jpg

Geeking out over the door many astronauts walked through putting their "patch" on the wall.

Cfd5GZoVAAA7DMb.jpg

Cfd5GZqUkAAz2pM.jpg

Cfd5GaYUIAAffNf.jpg

Taking some time after the @NASASocial event to @ExploreSpaceKSC! Love the Visitors Center!

CfeAWyDUAAAnMsc.jpg

CfeAWyHUUAAdO4f.jpg

CfeAWyHUUAE9C9R.jpg

CfeAWzaUYAAZHCN.jpg

The Atlantis exhibit @ExploreSpaceKSC is just so seriously cool! Worth coming to the visitors center alone!

CfeFjBgXEAAnQ78.jpg

Best themed pay phone in all of central Florida! lol

CfeYFVCXIAAfTah.jpg

First day at NASA has come to an end. Tomorrow we see a rocket launch!

CfhLCk2W8AAfjU2.jpg

We are back @NASAKennedy for more space geeking out! Follow along! Rocket launch later!

CfhT-SyUIAA7Hag.jpg

Robert Cabana, Director of @NASAKennedy talks about taking us on the roof of the VAB! Yes, please!

CfhWcehWIAAxI_s.jpg

CfhWcehWEAAfK1_.jpg

Hearing Robert Cabana, pilot of 4 Space Shuttle flights talk about #NASA is so inspiring!

CfhbQkcXEAEp-vb.jpg

"Mars is a round trip mission for NASA."

Cfhe7SDUsAE_sqZ.jpg

Cfhe7SIUkAAfFKV.jpg

Listening to AWESOME Space Shuttle stories from astronaut Doug Wheelock.

Cfhk1mQW8AAaznv.jpg

Heard some just fantastic space mission stories from astronaut @Astro_Wheels this morning!

CfhmJagWEAAtSVy.jpg

These #NASA crawlers are like something right out of #StarWars! Awesome!

Cfhmxd1WwAA_GzM.jpg

Checking out launch pad 39A where @SpaceX manned missions will soon launch from!

CfhsFshWQAEYDL_.jpg

In just a few hours this @SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will be in space!

Cfhw3BwXIAAmZDz.jpg

"You must be this tall to ride the Falcon 9 rocket."

Cfh3SH9WwAAJ0V5.jpg

Cfh3SGgWEAAzHov.jpg

Cfh3SGfWQAIuKaC.jpg

Cfh3SH3W4AAWzP8.jpg

Currently inside the VAB. We are about to go to the top!

CfiNXe2WQAAcXID.jpg

Trying to capture the insane size of the VAB. It's impossible!

Cfh4hOgWIAAeOBL.jpg

Looking straight down 500 feet from the top of the VAB! OMG!!!

Cfh51QjVAAETxJ9.jpg

The view from the top of the VAB! Holy cow! No words.

CfiCBMIW8AAVR2b.jpg

CfiCBMEWIAANUmc.jpg

CfiCBMFW4AAkr7d.jpg

CfiCBNTWQAA4bHJ.jpg

Going to the top of the VAB #ExtremeBucketList Simply amazing!

CfiYXcjUMAAoayw.jpg

CfiYXcnUYAA4pfH.jpg

CfiYXcrUIAAx78t.jpg

CfiYXeSUIAEw8E0.jpg

Up close & personal with one of @NASAKennedy's crawlers that will carry the SLS Rocket from VAB to 39A

Cfid-_6W8AAgNSk.jpg

Cfid-_8WcAADca0.jpg

Cfid_AEW8AAWhbO.jpg

It takes a lot of "gunk" to keep the crawlers moving!

CfioWRgWsAA95x7.jpg

CfioWRgWEAEib3P.jpg

CfioWSxWsAAwLU_.jpg

CfioWRbW8AArZIt.jpg

Still just amazed we went to the top of the VAB!!!

Cfi2jXTWEAEDTzh.jpg

We are T-1 hour to launch!

Cfi8340XIAEt1f5.jpg

About 2 miles away from @SpaceX #Falcon9 launch! Lift off 4:43pm!

Cfi_FE9WwAQPa11.jpg

Just a few minutes until launch...

CfjAYnkWEAABk-F.jpg

#NASASocial getting cameras ready for launch!

CfjIT0NW4AEQc-k.jpg

Another AWESOME @SpaceX #Falcon9 launch!

CfjJqrOUUAInrAE.jpg

Watching a launch from @NASASocial event is indescribable! Breathtaking experience!

And here is what you've come here for! Video of the launch!

And that wraps up another amazing NASA Social event! Be sure to follow them on social media: @NASASocial

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So cool that you got to see all that awesome stuff up-close! I loved the "regular" tour at Kennedy Space Center, so I can only imagine how awesome it must be to do all this "special stuff". I'm so bummed we missed a launch on our visit to Orlando two years ago, we were supposed to head out at night to watch a launch, but weather was not coorperating so we stayed at home and the launch was postponed to the following night. Unfortunately that came in conflict with other plans, so we didn't go...

The Atlantis exhibit @ExploreSpaceKSC is just so seriously cool! Worth coming to the visitors center alone!

This is so true! Seeing a real spaceshuttle up-close was one of few moments in my life which has left me in total awe!

This is super fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

It's amazing what the human race can do when we set our minds to it!

Robb, how would you describe the sound from the rocket as I am sure the video doesn't do it justice?

What I've been told is that it sounds pretty much like popcorn popping times a billion.

As a side note: I was incredibly confused until I realized that this was a trip report from April. I thought they had just launched another F9 after Thursday's "anomaly."

So wonderful to see that the Space Program is still thriving and exciting so many people. When I was a kid, the main talk on the playground was Tang, the drink of Astronauts; and Space Ice Cream!!! (And, yes, almost forgot -- doing well in Math and Science. Poor ole me who loved English classes.)

Thanks so much for sharing your very special NASA experience! What a great opportunity for us to 'take the tour' with you!

Alice

Robb, how would you describe the sound from the rocket as I am sure the video doesn't do it justice?

What I've been told is that it sounds pretty much like popcorn popping times a billion.

Whoever told you that has never heard a rocket launch, apparently!

Basically you just feel the most loudest "quiet rumble" you've ever heard. Like someone with the most impressive sub-woofer moved in to the unit above you. You can feel the sound throughout your entire body and it just keeps rumbling for a good 40-90 seconds until you can't see it anymore.

It's quite a cool and amazing experience. I'd love to be there when one of the rockets comes back down to produce a sonic boom!

As a side note: I was incredibly confused until I realized that this was a trip report from April. I thought they had just launched another F9 after Thursday's "anomaly."

Yes, reading is very important. You learn so much when you read simple sentences!

Love these pics and video. Thanks so much for sharing.

I've always been enthralled by the space program and have been pretty unlucky with my launches. I've been in Florida for 3 launches which was mostly by accident but we made the effort to be in the area on Launch day/night when we found out they were on when we were visiting Disney. all 3 ended up being delayed beyond the boundaries of the trips there so still haven't seen one. One day

I've recently applied for a couple of jobs at the European Space Agency to do with managing and interpreting geospacial data that comes back from their survey probes but the jobs are unbelievably over subscribed as you may expect. I've missed out and am waiting to hear about the other. I am not expecting to get anything but if you don't apply then you certainly won't. Shoot for the moon so to speak

I agree with the Atlantis exhibit as well. Its worth the admission alone.

I also really enjoyed the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston. They occasionally do tours of the pool astronauts use to train for missions and they have replica parts of the ISS under water which is fascinating.

Anyone managed to see the other orbiters? or visited the other centers? such as Goddard Space Flight Center and the Jet Propulsion Lab. i Know they have visitors centers and would love to hear from people who've been.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never heard the popcorn comparison, but it's actually pretty good for rockets with solid propellant. Falcon 9 rockets are liquid fueled launches, so they're much quieter than their solid counterparts. The Space Shuttle had *massive* Solid Rocket Boosters on it, so it gave off a very loud and crackling sound. Some Delta IV and Atlas V rockets today can have some solid boosters on them in certain configurations.

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I am extremley jealous. Space rockets is one of my top interest and a tour like this is high on my bucket list.

Seriously, I would probably go to Kennedy space center straight out of the airport and then afterwards go to the Orlando parks.