TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

"But, but, some other forum's residents believe something!"

A) So, what? There's no groupthink there?

B) WDWMagic, DisBoards, all the Disney Forums - these are people who only like Disney. They aren't authorities on anything except maybe the light fixtures or what artbooks some designer cribbed from. Most of them are utterly clueless on the industry outside Mickey and Universal (the eeeeeeevil enemy). Robb knows more than most "experts" there. I do too. Why should I care what they think?

WDWMagic, DisBoards, all the Disney Forums - these are people who only like Disney. They aren't authorities on anything except maybe the light fixtures or what artbooks some designer cribbed from. Most of them are utterly clueless on the industry outside Mickey and Universal (the eeeeeeevil enemy). Robb knows more than most "experts" there. I do too. Why should I care what they think?

And not only do the only like Disney, but they are totally neurotic about Disney. For many of them, it's impossible to see all the great things happening in the park and they complain about the most petty ridiculous things. I've actually seen stuff like "I can't believe some of the paint is peeling in Carousel of Progress" and "I got in the Peoplemover car and it was a MESS WITH CRUMBS!!!!" Seriously, this the kind of absolutely CRAZY stuff these people complain about. They can no longer go to the parks and have fun, they HAVE to look for things to bitch and complain about from the smallest most mundane item to "How DARE they remove Maelstrom!!!!"

They all feel like the parks should be catering to THEIR personal preferences and don't give a crap and refuse to understand how or why the parks operate the way they do and have zero appreciation for the hard work and insane amount of effort being put into everything that happens in the parks.

I hate it. Can't stand these people. Don't want to hang out with them at the parks and I don't want them anywhere on our forum.

I mean, the parks just spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS doing things like building a 3rd Soarin theater, building a 3rd track on Toy Story Mania, adding new animatronics to the Mexico Boat Ride. Things that are totally transparent to the average guest and won't make them back a single penny. They do these things to increase the guest experience.

Do you see many other parks making these sort of expensive investments just so that "guests can have a better day?"

So take your complaining about crumbs on the Peoplemover or toilets not working or whatever stupid crap all those other sites want to bitch about, and stay there. The rest of us will go and have a good time at Walt Disney World!

Edited by robbalvey

Does anyone remember when they were a kid and the Epcot day at Disney was like punishment?? There really wasn't anything exciting for a pre-teen and although the parents loved it - I was bored out of my skull and trying to connive my way back to MK.

EPCOT was the worst when you were a kid - the entire World Showcase walk was always so boring! Much less so as an adult, when you can ride the Three Caballeros ride after a few drinks.

Does anyone remember when they were a kid and the Epcot day at Disney was like punishment?? There really wasn't anything exciting for a pre-teen and although the parents loved it - I was bored out of my skull and trying to connive my way back to MK.

And now Epcot is the park that Kristen (who is 9 years old) asks us to take her to the most! So anyone who is going to try to convince me that what Epcot has been doing the past ten or so years is a step in the wrong direction, I will gladly laugh loudly in their face.

There is kidna of this misconception of EPCOT being more of an adult park, I've heard that from a lot of friends who go to WDW and plan to skip EPCOT in favor of a second day at Magic Kingdom or something, but I love taking my younger kids there. I mean obviously it's not the Magic Kingdom but with Nemo, Journey into Imagination, The Three Caballeros, Spaceship Earth, tons of Princess and Character meet n greets (with short lines!) and now Frozen there is way more for little kids to do at Epcot than HS or AK. Even Soarin and test Track have 40" height requirements and are much less "intimidating" for younger kids than Dinosaur and Tower of Terror. EPCOT is just the best.

And now Epcot is the park that Kristen (who is 9 years old) asks us to take her to the most! So anyone who is going to try to convince me that what Epcot has been doing the past ten or so years is a step in the wrong direction, I will gladly laugh loudly in their face.

I completely agree!!

I've never actually been to most of World Showcase the few times I've been to WDW. We basically stayed in Future World the whole time...

Then you're doing it all wrong.........

To be fair the last time I made a full day visit to Epcot was back in 2003 when I was like eight. Last time I went to Epcot (and WDW as a whole) at all was during Extra Magic Hours in 2009 so I could check off Soarin', Spaceship Earth and Test Track.

I'd definitely check WS out should I ever make it back to the States though.

I've never actually been to most of World Showcase the few times I've been to WDW. We basically stayed in Future World the whole time...

Then you're doing it all wrong.........

To be fair the last time I made a full day visit to Epcot was back in 2003 when I was like eight. Last time I went to Epcot (and WDW as a whole) at all was during Extra Magic Hours in 2009 so I could check off Soarin', Spaceship Earth and Test Track.

I was mostly just joking, but I do know a lot of people who treat Epcot as a half day park to just ride Soarin, Test Track, and some stuff in Future World then move onto another park and completely skip the Showcase because it doesn't have any "rides".

Speaking of Epcot... Tutto Gusto at the Italy pavilion has sent me some new information and pics for their frozen drinks they are offering this summer. I cannot recommend the restaurants in Italy enough, so this is a nice welcome (and cool) addition! Be sure to check it out when you're at the park!

778282950_ScreenShot2016-07-19at12_31_43.png.5993acc2655d89d112c1d44c0ee37119.png

1372862128_ScreenShot2016-07-19at12_31_57.png.e379dcd840496cd21529c3aad6c96eca.png

1334216064_ScreenShot2016-07-19at12_32_09.png.b7d596047093d246fe9c41758c34db8b.png

498564371_ScreenShot2016-07-19at12_34_02.thumb.png.1a86f46b9b60c1e4c5f13762f0bfe1c0.png

ViaNapoli_070716_025.thumb.jpg.ebdd147be629599e0e6c317858c5fd9e.jpg

I'm totally with you there! Last time I went was on my Honeymoon back in 2001, and aside from some frickin' fantastic Italian food in Italy, it was only a so-so experience. (I'd been once before as a kid as well, to an even less enthusiastic reaction.)

While I get why the nostalgists would be disappointed about the new direction, it's totally a great move on Disney's part. I know my kids are already excited about seeing the new Frozen ride someday, and these other upcoming attractions sound great as well! And again, the food back in World Showcase... (That's a licking my lips smiley, in this instance!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, I feel like IPs are a great way to get kids interested in learning new things. I mean, it's not like World Showcase doesn't already have IP presences. At least half the pavilions have meet & greets with characters.

United Kingdom has meet & greets with Alice, Mary Poppins, and Pooh & Tigger. France has Belle (Peasant) and Beast, Princess Aurora, and Marie from Aristocats (also, when I was there in 2012, they had a Remy animatronic on a little cart that they pushed around Chefs de France; don't know if that's still there). Morroco has Princess Jasmine and Aladdin. Germany has Snow White. China has Mulan. Norway now has Anna & Elsa. Mexico has Donald Duck (Three Caballeros-style). Now that they have an Elena of Avalor face character, I'd actually love to see her do meet & greets at the Mexico pavilion.

I also really wish the United Kingdom pavilion could've gotten the amazing Alice in Wonderland & Robin Hood (omg!) stuff that were in plans for an expansion seen here: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/uk.htm

It would be an amazing way to bring kids in while still keeping the country the focal point.

Also, I loved how when my friend and I were doing shopping in the UK pavilion, one of the cashiers asked us trivia and we got stickers for getting right answers. Additionally, I love how all the pavilions have people working there who are from those countries. It just adds to the atmosphere so much.

So, anyway, long story short, I have no problem with IPs in the World Showcase and would be fine with seeing more if done right (from what I've heard/read, the museum in Norway actually does an excellent job of showing how Norway inspired Frozen).

Just don't do anything to Spaceship Earth, though, or there'll be at least a one-person riot.

PS: Kinda sad to hear Universe of Energy will be replaced. I really enjoyed it and it was a great break from the heat. But I can understand the need to renovate; the animatronics were rather sad-looking and the science is outdated.

I'd love to see them add a Tron coaster to Future World, btw.

PPS: I was one of those "weird" kids who was devastated when my parents decided we'd skip Epcot during our first visit to WDW. I didn't get to go until I was 26 and I actually felt like a little kid experiencing that park for the first time. I fell in love so hard and fast. Then again, I've always been fascinated with history, learning, and time travel (the future represented in Future World, the "old world" feel of the World Showcase).

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes being an Orlando local means you can go to the parks at random times just to "hang out" or pop in quickly to have lunch. Today we ended up being at Epcot twice for two different things! It's awesome having an annual pass to the park living in Central Florida. Easily the best theme park investment you can make!

Here's a mini-trip report from our visits today...

CrHWvlfWIAQQxR5.jpg

As Orlando locals, today we are just popping into @WDWToday #Epcot for lunch! #OrlandoLife

CrHifOZXEAA9hGH.jpg

Elissa is pre-gaming potstickers in preparation for @WDWToday #Epcot Food & Wine!

image.thumb.jpeg.0e18a8f554939b15c1338629e49e9d59.jpeg

OMG! The new Mongolian beef noodles at the China quick-serve are amazing!

CrHsB6MWIAAncMU.jpg

CrHsB6NWcAACrxw.jpg

CrHsB6YWIAMOzab.jpg

CrHsB6ZWEAAsuZ2.jpg

In just a few weeks @WDWToday #Epcot Food & Wine starts! Our favorite theme park event ever!!!

CrHujRdWIAA8jWa.jpg

"Where do you want to go for lunch today?" "Quick service at Epcot?" "Sure!" #OrlandoLife

CrJggd3WcAA2d09.jpg

I'm up for a night time walk around @WDWToday #Epcot! How about you?

[twitter]

[/twitter]

CrJtB0MXYAAnPpj.jpg

CrJtB0LWIAAJS8d.jpg

ProTip! Ride Frozen just BEFORE EMH starts! We waited 18 minutes. Line is now about an hour!

image.thumb.jpeg.0e18a8f554939b15c1338629e49e9d59.jpeg

OMG! The new Mongolian beef noodles at the China quick-serve are amazing!

CrJzUPyXYAETWMI.jpg

Just wandering around @WDWToday #Epcot World Showcase at night! Beautiful.

CrJ4KC7XYAAiCgN.jpg

We just went from China to Morocco in about 60 seconds!

CrJ_8QmWEAAfYyj.jpg

Another great night hanging out @WDWToday #Epcot!

image.thumb.jpeg.44d72a328aa4bcc2bd164d5c31148d91.jpeg

I kinda want this! :)

Edited by robbalvey