TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

i really can't say it's more tame or not. feels pretty much what i thought it would be. for me, i just think it's the amount of crazy coasters that have come out since to compare it to. technology has come a long way in the past 15 plus years.

but it's still a ton of fun, and can't wait for offseason when no one is there so i can marathon it when i'm bored.

Old Ghost Rider would still contend with a lot of the newer coasters. I think riders who have been on Raven, Legend, Tremors, or Timber Terror recently can attest to that. Ghost rider, at one point, was on that level. Anyways what's done is done.

Hoping Kbf has a major announcement for next year but haven't seen any major rumors lately. They're either being super secretive or there's nothing happening.

After my two rides this afternoon on GhostRider, I have now ridden in every row and have come to a conclusion on which is the best. Old GhostRider's best row was easily the very front, simply because it was the only row bearable enough to ride in. New GhostRider however, is much smoother, so the choice becomes more difficult. The front felt super fast, faster than the stats say it is. All middle rows feel pretty much the same. Not a lot of airtime, rather smooth. The back row offers the most airtime of all the rows, and while it is the roughest to ride, it is, in my opinion, the best. I also noticed New GhostRider seems to have more ejector airtime than Old GhostRider, which had more floater airtime.

Hoping Kbf has a major announcement for next year but haven't seen any major rumors lately. They're either being super secretive or there's nothing happening.

I believe they are expanding Knott's Soak City with a new slide tower. Probably nothing new inside Knott's BF until 2018.

Knott's Berry Farm has sent us a press release about the latest additions to Knott's Soak City Water Park!

Knott’s Berry Farm announces an exciting expansion, renovations and new additions coming to Knott’s Soak City Water Park next summer.

Orange County’s largest water park will debut two water slide towers featuring exhilarating attractions geared for families and thrill seekers. Shore Break will tower over seven stories and offer six different thrilling water slide experiences. Four of the slides on the 60-foot tall tower will start with guests climbing inside an Aqua-Launch chamber where they will wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them into a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of flat loops and S-curves in a translucent flume. Shore Break will also feature dueling tube slides that will zip riders through an enchanting series of drops and turns. The height requirements for Shore Break slides are 48 inches. The Wedge slide tower will take the location of the current Pacific Spin and will be an open air family raft ride. Up to six guests at a time will descend down navigating twists and turns and surprise drops. Height requirement for The Wedge is 48 inches or 40 inches when accompanied by a supervising companion. Guests will be able to experience both water slide towers when Knott’s Soak City Water Park opens for the summer season in May 2017.

The expansion project will also include updated shaded seating areas, cabanas and a remodeled Longboard’s Grill to the water park. Construction is set to begin on September 12 and a grand-reopening is scheduled for summer 2017.

A 2017 Knott’s Gold Season Pass is the best way to experience all of the new additions coming to Knott’s Soak City Water Park next year. 2017 Gold Season Passes include one free admission during the 2016 season to Knott’s Berry Farm and Knott’s Soak City Water Park, unlimited visits in 2017 to both parks with no blackout dates, discounts on select food and merchandise, and access to exciting year-round seasonal events. 2017 Season Passes will be available beginning August 26 at the best offer of the year for a limited time on knotts.com or soakcityoc.com.

For more information about Knott’s Berry Farm and Knott’s Soak City please visit knotts.com, soakcityoc.com or download the Knott's Berry Farm app for your smart phone. Join the conversation about the new ride using the #KnottsSoakCity.

2067572862_KnottsSoakCity2017ExpansionConceptArt.thumb.jpg.5ef69d65345217b6b347adbc5f08cf75.jpg

I also noticed New GhostRider seems to have more ejector airtime...

...huh?

Meaning that instead of experiencing zero-g's at the peak of a hill, riders experience negative-g's, practically throwing them out of their seat. Being the result of going over a hill at higher speeds, instead of floating in your seat, you are thrown against the lapbar. Many RMC coasters implement it, as well as B&M hyper and giga coasters. It is most noticeable during the latter half of GhostRider, after the former MCBR.

...huh?

Meaning that instead of experiencing zero-g's at the peak of a hill, riders experience negative-g's, practically throwing them out of their seat. Being the result of going over a hill at higher speeds, instead of floating in your seat, you are thrown against the lapbar. Many RMC coasters implement it, as well as B&M hyper and giga coasters. It is most noticeable during the latter half of GhostRider, after the former MCBR.

Pretty sure he was just confused at the contradicting report compared to what others have said about the ride.

...huh?

We all know what ejector air is, it's just that you're literally the only person to use that phrase to describe GhostRider's renovation.

I'm assuming that you're comparing new GR's airtime to post-2010 GR (when they started actually using the midcourse brakes), because the airtime on 2016 GR is extremely gentle compared to what it once was. In my opinion, the ride has no ejector air anymore (with the exception of the drop after the midcourse, but only if you're in the last 4 or 5 rows).

I could be the only one, I just know that GhostRider seemed to throw me against the lapbar more than I can ever remember it doing so. When it initially reopened I was disappointed the only coaster in the park with airtime was lacking it. Not until I rode in the very back row did I notice the "ejector" airtime. I mostly noticed it on the small bunny hill after "the drop".

Odd they are removing Pacific Spin. Are guests not happy with it? It is good to see them working on Soak City again.

It is in the area that they want to expand. My guess is that if you are going to pay for the cost of moving it; you might as well move it to a different park and call it a "new ride".

I'm assuming that you're comparing new GR's airtime to post-2010 GR (when they started actually using the midcourse brakes), because the airtime on 2016 GR is extremely gentle compared to what it once was. In my opinion, the ride has no ejector air anymore (with the exception of the drop after the midcourse, but only if you're in the last 4 or 5 rows).

It's ejector air if you're from CA.

The expansion looks pretty sick. I feel like those new slides are going to take the park to the next level. It sucks that they're getting rid of Pacific Spin, but it's probably a worthwhile sacrifice.

I agree the expansion looks nice. I always thought Pacific Spin was kinda lame, I think it's good they'll have something new in it's place.

My only complaint is I wish they had one of those straight down drops to change it up a little, like the one at Hurricane Harbor that's against the path when you're walking from the parking lot. The one on the very right in this photo.

maxresdefault.jpg

How should the lines be September 1st Thursday? Dead?

Any chance Ghostrider or any rides go down for maintenance then?

Park should be totally dead that day as schools will be back in session. I really doubt Ghostrider will be closed. Knott's typically does their annual ride maintenance in Jan-Mar, so I wouldn't expect any rides to be closed.

How should the lines be September 1st Thursday? Dead?

Any chance Ghostrider or any rides go down for maintenance then?

In the past, Ghostider has gotten some maintenance time in the weeks leading up to haunt, but it's hard to say how it's going to run now post-renovation.

But, GhostTown Alive continues through Sept 5th, so I doubt GR would be down until after then.

It's ejector air if you're from CA.

Thankfully California has TWO RMC coasters now....

Has that drop not always been the ejector drop?

Or more importantly, is Ghostrider's airtime really that reduced, or have we just changed what our standards of airtime are considering all the new coasters?

The most airtime I have experienced on a CCI is Timber Terror, but even this coaster has little to no ejector air by today's standards. I would call it more "strong floater" air. Twenty years ago I probably would have called it an ejector coaster, but Intamin and a company down the road from Silverwood have changed that.

Or more importantly, is Ghostrider's airtime really that reduced, or have we just changed what our standards of airtime are considering all the new coasters?

The most airtime I have experienced on a CCI is Timber Terror, but even this coaster has little to no ejector air by today's standards. I would call it more "strong floater" air. Twenty years ago I probably would have called it an ejector coaster, but Intamin and a company down the road from Silverwood have changed that.

we've changed out standards. the ride feels just about identical as it did to me when i was in my 30's. not when i was 10 years old.

it's a load of fun again, just like it was in 1999.

For me, it is the restraint changes. I like the feeling of lifting out of the seat slightly like I do on Xcelerator or Supreme Scream and you need a little thigh gap between your leg and restraint to feel it. The restraints on Ghostrider are not uncomfortable, but they do keep you pressed tightly in your seat so I feel no lifting out of the seat on the hills. The restraint doesn't lock and constantly weighs against your thighs holding you down.