TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Control Panel Enthusiast Thread

Do coaster control units come with a 'dead man's switch'? I've seen lot's of photos with a pedal on the floor next to control units (coasters and flat rides) and was wondering if I was right.

Some do. It's more common on single operator flat rides, but there's no hard 'rule' about it either way. They also may behave differently. For instance most will act like an estop, cutting power to the ride. Others act like a cycle stop, that will slow the ride and park it normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do coaster control units come with a 'dead man's switch'? I've seen lot's of photos with a pedal on the floor next to control units (coasters and flat rides) and was wondering if I was right.

Some do. It's more common on single operator flat rides, but there's no hard 'rule' about it either way. They also may behave differently. For instance most will act like an estop, cutting power to the ride. Others act like a cycle stop, that will slow the ride and park it normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically this. To elaborate a bit though, most coasters or thrill rides have some form of safety built into it so you can't just bump the dispatch button and accidentally send a train. For example, Demon Drop has a dispatch enable button that must be held down while you hit each cars dispatch button otherwise it won't send them. The flats that I've operated all had either a safety button or a safety foot pedal that must be held down from start to finish of the ride cycle, otherwise the ride would stop. I know for most flats it's to verify the operator is in the booth for the entire cycle, as well as allowing an easy way to cut a cycle if the ride doesn't have a ride stop button.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay thanks, I saw that video and did not think twice lol. I was wondering if B&M had different controls for the launch.

In this case, the panel only serves to dispatch the train and advance it to the launch position. In typical operation mode, the train launches automatically after a thematic sequence in the launch room. I would be curious to see how the panel would be (if it even would be) different if the train were to launch directly out of the station. I doubt it though. Maybe they would replace the mushroom push buttons in favor of a traditional guarded push button.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I also have a homemade control panel...

[attachment=0]cp-v3-2015.jpg[/attachment]

Works with Nolimits 2. This is actually an older version as I got a new housing with room for more buttons but I don't have the keys with me so I can't turn it on to show it turned on...

How did you program it?

I also have a homemade control panel...

[attachment=0]cp-v3-2015.jpg[/attachment]

Works with Nolimits 2. This is actually an older version as I got a new housing with room for more buttons but I don't have the keys with me so I can't turn it on to show it turned on...

How did you program it?

Runs off of multiple Arduinos.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...