TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

Earlier today TPR attended the Universal Studios Orlando Summer Media Event and saw all of the awesome new summer offerings! We started off with an early morning walk through of the queue at Reign of Kong where we got to see the amazing queue effects and scaractors up close. Then we moved over to Incredible Hulk which is currently in technical previews and got to ride this newly re-imagined and plussed up iconic B&M coaster. We then finished off our morning touring the brand new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort which is a beautiful addition to their already great resort lineup. The story is in the pictures... so lets take a look!

Kong1.jpeg.55b23a1db3d68682bad28b82f3f41633.jpeg

We start off the morning with a pre-opening Reign of Kong queue walk through.

Kong2.jpeg.0d40a1dde36c1f67610f6eca80e81b69.jpeg

The detail in the queue is awesome! Really like a movie set.

928495811_10_SkullIslandReignofKongNatives.thumb.jpg.e9a37ec6cf59d7ae450ecf1e78c98cb5.jpg

The natives in the queue are getting restless!

1575370611_17_SkullIslandReignofKongQueue.thumb.jpg.bc52593a7ed0ea03bc8e503c7046109c.jpg

This queue is an attraction in itself - it even has animatronics!

1552062842_19_SkullIslandReignofKongQueue.thumb.jpg.290d607c10a329764a1ff63a016bf2cc.jpg

I really can't stress enough how detailed this queue is - really one of the best in Orlando.

377151839_03_SkullIslandReignofKongVehicleSpecSheet.thumb.jpg.c0f9cf2f09aab485ad605f935681c88f.jpg

Cameras are not allowed on the ride - but this spec sheet shows you what the vehicles are like.

569941096_03_SkullIslandReignOfKong.thumb.jpg.e442893fa50497c9331b18ae19c037dd.jpg

If the weather is good, you start off outside the ride in your vehicle. If it is bad, your vehicle will bypass this portion. Cool!

987286136_07_SkullIslandReignOfKong.thumb.jpg.8a6d104dc2ce46e385ee68294d94c23a.jpg

The climax of the ride is a face to face look at the big guy! It is VERY impressive in person!

kong5.jpeg.3c13bb939bc725f072f05759f92ae192.jpeg

Time to head over to ride The Incredible Hulk! Love this view!

kong6.jpeg.ffe6065e9884f3a16266780e474ea0d9.jpeg

Hulk is BACK and is better than ever! Onboard sound, new trains and track and an awesome new queue.

kong7.jpeg.c39625ece9d3d67c506dfc2587aa45ca.jpeg

LOVE the new entrance statement for the queue! Really sets up the ride well.

kong8.jpeg.f2388b2269cd62c89df8e98feb10b0e9.jpeg

TWISTY! So many great elements to this coaster!

Kong9.jpeg.4318a81bd058cb2f220d89bd17e2ddc7.jpeg

They really ramped up the storyline to tie it into the Marvel Universe even more. Even the metal detectors have theming!

Kong10.jpeg.6e22bd6837e9368839944cc1401c54a9.jpeg

The queue uses the storyline of General Thaddeus Ross and his base.

Kong12.jpeg.733f12d95caa88e17abeccf06b63ed96.jpeg

So many cool lighting effects and the largest plasma generator in the world!

Kong13.jpeg.ea6e0d2c5b18bbb01ded20a5beb0746e.jpeg

So many cool themed signs and references!

Kong14.jpeg.7edf6e15c01e145a171d377862d58e75.jpeg

Hmmm.. I wonder what nefarious purpose this is being used for!

More photos of the Incredible Hulk and Sapphire Falls Resort!

Kong16.jpeg.2687872a598df1ef5b70765b351ae3fb.jpeg

This bigger overview of the queue shows that it kept the same basic layout but really amped up the theming and effects. No more purple and green.

Kong15.jpeg.d279131c9c74c52f372ba47bf85098cd.jpeg

Hmmm... I wonder who Dr. S. Lee is....

Kong17.jpeg.7936efe0484f9daaf21051300540ceac.jpeg

Time to ride! Love the look of the station and the super fast operation. Great crew there!

Kong11.jpeg.99e4654f38a103ff2e00552cf956a554.jpeg

LOVED the ride overall! The new trains and the on-board music by Patrick Stump of Fall out Boy really rocket this ride to new levels!

1012464955_03_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_Waterfall.thumb.jpg.60d1c6a6cee0bb66b451d828f49cfe8b.jpg

Time to launch over to Loews Sapphire Falls resort which just opened!

kong18.jpeg.23295bfb319e8692dcae7e1b62f571d3.jpeg

The lobby has really cute "beachy" and Caribbean theming.

kong19.jpeg.341b649640dfe0761a81fc1305969b7c.jpeg

AWESOME views of IOA from the lobby as well!

kong21.jpeg.66278ba9a824d55dc5bab0406aa878ff.jpeg

The views around this resort are outstanding!

kong22.jpeg.4832eea692119c964cb7700183c67704.jpeg

The best part is it offers complimentary boat transportation to the parks!

kong23.jpeg.c650ee3c29f49bba2f08969d3d6a6314.jpeg

A map? Yes please! It is a big resort with a lot of amenities.. you will need this!

kong24.jpeg.6e0d45b10d0f20715fb66975f4ba2f27.jpeg

The centerpiece of the resort is this beautiful stone enclosed staircase!

kong25.jpeg.e3ff70a585844b75112b66a7c84475f2.jpeg

It is hard to capture how pretty this is in pictures!

388083687_09_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_GuestRoom.thumb.jpg.b58189bdd97ecec4aa8a50e64d59648a.jpg

The rooms are VERY spacious and well appointed with all the modern amenities!

196287713_04_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_Waterfall_2.thumb.jpg.2e9906d5c28715996aba6fc58320a4c2.jpg

Time to take the resort bridge to get some food!

kong26.jpeg.f61f6a371d763e420344057b7b8fc839.jpeg

We got to sample some of the resort specialties including their ceviche bar!

kong27.jpeg.de2418dd438c0662dfbe597f5fb7a107.jpeg

And delicious jerk chicken with mango salsa! YUM!

kong29.jpeg.33951f59ac2c8103c6528276f9a4eede.jpeg

The theming and details in the Strong Water Bar are great and they have an amazing selection of rum!

kong28.jpeg.53a2c2ab5c773c43e2e1ac2c6b2a7db4.jpeg

Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!

2094600818_01_UniversalsVolcanoBay_ScopeRendering.thumb.jpg.5995eaa493f880ac569ade3cbafd9ef3.jpg

So many awesome new things at Universal Studios Orlando this summer and Volcano Bay will be coming along in less than a year... I can't wait!

From what I've seen, it looks like Kong's queue might be more entertaining than the ride. It's good to see the Hulk back in action again.

Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!

Sold!

It truly is amazing to think about everything Universal is/was working on this year. Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Hulk Coaster, Toothsome Chocolate Emporium, Sapphire Falls, Jimmy Fallon, Fast & Furious, Volcano Bay, and the new tower at Cabana Bay.

I might be missing something since there is so much going on!

Having been on Kong twice now, I really think it is a good ride, but it could have been better. With all of the hype for the attraction, and all of the hype the queue built up, I guess I expected a bit more from the ride. The ending with Kong was really neat, but it almost felt random. Like, "as you look to your right, you will see a King Kong animatronic." I thought this part was going to be more interactive with Kong and actually look like he is angry and then you see his soft side and lets everyone go kind of thing. But I still think it is amazing technology and a must-ride attraction if you have never visited the park before.

I'll be at the parks next week to ride HULK! I can't wait!

The media update was amazing and all great pictures! Just got me more excited to visit the parks again next week!

https://media.universalorlando.com/PressRelease/detail.aspx?id=57714&ct=27752

Tis the season for Krampus as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort bring the terrifying dark Christmas legend to life in an all-new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze beginning September 16, 2016.

The creative minds behind the nation’s best and most extreme Halloween events unleash the wrath of Krampus, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Christmas-themed horror film co-written and directed by Michael Dougherty, in a sinister new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze.

The dead of winter sets the stage for the terror that’s about to unfold one cold, dank and dreary Christmas Eve as the fabled anthropomorphic "half-goat, half-demon" horned creature emerges to terrorize those devoid of holiday spirit. In scenes lifted from the film, guests will navigate the dysfunctional Engel family home to encounter the evil ancient spirit of Krampus – the dark shadow of Saint Nicholas – and his band of Dark Elves and sinister Gingerbread Men, who cause the family to fight to see the light of day.

Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited "Halloween Horror Nights" in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. The streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing "scare-actors" lunge from every darkened corner. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are erected throughout the event, based on anything from iconic slasher films to hit horror television series to haunting original stories.

Additional details about Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

Krampus_HHN26_LR.thumb.jpg.280775676a1c380a9a53216d2038acf0.jpg

Having been on Kong twice now, I really think it is a good ride, but it could have been better. With all of the hype for the attraction, and all of the hype the queue built up, I guess I expected a bit more from the ride. The ending with Kong was really neat, but it almost felt random. Like, "as you look to your right, you will see a King Kong animatronic." I thought this part was going to be more interactive with Kong and actually look like he is angry and then you see his soft side and lets everyone go kind of thing. But I still think it is amazing technology and a must-ride attraction if you have never visited the park before.

Have you been on it recently? It seems that they fixed a few things that were a bit "off" during the previews w/ timing, projection issues and even the ability to see your "driver" through the frosted glass. This was my second time riding and I enjoyed it a LOT more than my first. We were also told that there are 5 different "driver" characters and I think the one we got the first time just made the story more confusing than it probably needed to be. It isn't a mind-blowing ride, but I think it is a good addition to the park!

https://media.universalorlando.com/PressRelease/detail.aspx?id=57714&ct=27752

Tis the season for Krampus as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort bring the terrifying dark Christmas legend to life in an all-new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze beginning September 16, 2016.

The creative minds behind the nation’s best and most extreme Halloween events unleash the wrath of Krampus, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Christmas-themed horror film co-written and directed by Michael Dougherty, in a sinister new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze.

The dead of winter sets the stage for the terror that’s about to unfold one cold, dank and dreary Christmas Eve as the fabled anthropomorphic "half-goat, half-demon" horned creature emerges to terrorize those devoid of holiday spirit. In scenes lifted from the film, guests will navigate the dysfunctional Engel family home to encounter the evil ancient spirit of Krampus – the dark shadow of Saint Nicholas – and his band of Dark Elves and sinister Gingerbread Men, who cause the family to fight to see the light of day.

Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited "Halloween Horror Nights" in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. The streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing "scare-actors" lunge from every darkened corner. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are erected throughout the event, based on anything from iconic slasher films to hit horror television series to haunting original stories.

Additional details about Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

giphy.gif

Have you been on it recently? It seems that they fixed a few things that were a bit "off" during the previews w/ timing, projection issues and even the ability to see your "driver" through the frosted glass. This was my second time riding and I enjoyed it a LOT more than my first. We were also told that there are 5 different "driver" characters and I think the one we got the first time just made the story more confusing than it probably needed to be. It isn't a mind-blowing ride, but I think it is a good addition to the park!

Seeing the photos of the queue has made this ride a bit more intriguing to me.

I think the roar itself is really weak (kinda the sound I would make if I were playing monsters with a kid) and the sound is too clear and close.

It'd be more effective if they could make it sound like Hulk was deeply roaring from within the launch chamber with a bit of reverberation.

I agree with you and the other poster who said the Hulk sound sounded cheesy. Yes, I do hope they give a little attention to that detail and it ruins whatever effect they hoped to get from it. Even the Hulk sounds from the old TV show sound way better.

How long are the wait times and does the queue line move quickly? It looks cool, but they really spent many years working on this for it to not have a more enthusiastic reaction the first ride. Maybe they will up the thrill? I was hoping for a part dark ride and open jungle ride experience with thrills. I have a friend who has a bad back, is it jerky at all? Thanks.

13912543_521541748032674_3660956479701220486_n.jpg?oh=b2638b8d26bd1b1a4f595f7cab5170a8&oe=5818DA3A

Don't know if this is allowed on TPR, my mistake if not, but a sort of guess/map has been leaked on FB. Nine houses! Cobweb assumed being Tomb of the Ancients...

Also I noticed all pass prices jumped 9-11 dollars this year, except express versions which EXPLODED and jumped up 100+ dollars each. Could effect waiting and queues at HHN this year, as MOST people who go through the house lines in past years entered through express or RIP. And for the first time since I've been here there's an "Every night" pass. Regardless, every night will still be busy.

13912543_521541748032674_3660956479701220486_n.jpg?oh=b2638b8d26bd1b1a4f595f7cab5170a8&oe=5818DA3A

Don't know if this is allowed on TPR, my mistake if not, but a sort of guess/map has been leaked on FB. Nine houses! Cobweb assumed being Tomb of the Ancients...

Also I noticed all pass prices jumped 9-11 dollars this year, except express versions which EXPLODED and jumped up 100+ dollars each. Could effect waiting and queues at HHN this year, as MOST people who go through the house lines in past years entered through express or RIP. And for the first time since I've been here there's an "Every night" pass. Regardless, every night will still be busy.

If accurate, odd that there is only 3 original houses with only American Horror Story the only house there yet to be confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like the lineup of houses this year, but the price jump for express passes is no bueno. There's still no way I'm standing in those lines though.

Hey guys, I've been working pretty hard on this video since my recent trip to SeaWorld and Universal in July. It features both parks as I had neither the time in the parks to shoot sufficient quantities of footage nor sufficient time to edit 2 separate videos. I hope you enjoy my video, I've been attempting to push high quality content, so if you like the video (or not), leaving some feedback would be super helpful!

SeaWorld & Universal: Cinematic Slow Motion!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

(If you see this in the SWO thread please don't mark it as spam, I may post it there because it's relevant to both parks)

^ Very nice.

I realize the editing goes with the soundtrack. I wish (just here and there) that you let

two 'hits' go by, and allow a bit more time on the coaster featured.

Other than that, wow! Am curious what the soundtrack is, and who by? Really beautiful

and EPIC, for most of it.

I enjoyed it very much. And you did pack so much in there, that is to commend, too.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/hhn-26-original-content/

Being a hardcore fan of Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights, I jumped at the chance to reveal all the sinister original content arising from the twisted minds of Universal’s Entertainment team. Here are all the details on the three terrifying houses, five killer scare zones and two outrageous live shows.

ORIGINAL HOUSES

Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance

Enter Chance's imagination in Lunatics Playground 3D You Won't Stand A Chance

While Jack’s away, Chance has unleashed the horrors of her imagination. Her twisted delusions and reality are continuously blurred in a 3D playground of carnage. When the music box plays, the world shifts to her sinister theatre of the mind. But when the alarm starts ringing, Chance is thrown back into the brutal reality of her incarceration.

Ghost Town – The Curse of Lightning Gulch

When lightning strikes, the curse of Lightning Gulch comes to life and this ghostly town appears. These doomed souls—who once went searching for gold—found death and destruction. And now they seek others to join them. As thunder cracks, flashes of lightning will lead your way through this treacherous wild west nightmare. Good luck!

Tomb of the Ancients

An ancient evil has surfaced and immortal beings from the past have returned to rule mankind. It was only a matter of time until “The Ancient Ones” were unearthed. Now these makers of chaos are loose from the pits of hell—and the whole world will pay.

SCARE ZONES

• Survive or Die – A global catastrophe has ruined Earth’s atmosphere. One group of survivors secured a machine that provides clean air. The two other surviving groups are on the hunt to gain control of the machine and are recruiting new members to help them. You can either join them or feed their starving ranks. Which will you choose?
  • Banshee’s Lair – Travel deep into the forest where evil spirits and horrific creatures of the ancient world roam free. Mother Nature’s magical barrier of vines has been torn away and the modern world has found the entrance to this corrupted grave.
  • Dead Man’s Wharf – When a fishing vessel named Annabel Lee never returned to the harbor and was lost forever, the wharf was left uninhabited as a memorial to her. Now, a strange fog has rolled into the village. And the long-lost fishermen’s spirits seek to punish the town that left them.
  • Vamp 1955 – Welcome to Hollywood High School’s 1955 Homecoming Parade. Everything is in place, until the greasers roll into town with fangs instead of switchblades. It’s a procession of chaos with vampires ready to take a bite out of anyone in sight.
  • A Chance In Hell – Get ready for the audition of a lifetime. Chance may be locked away, but that hasn’t stopped her. As the alarms ring and the bloody remains of those who tried to stop her lie around, she’s busy recruiting cellmates to join her biggest act yet. (I hope I get chosen!)

And we can’t forget about the two spine-chilling shows this year:

• Academy of Villains: House of Fear – Join this high energy performance troupe of inmates in an explosion of insanity that will thrust you into a realm of mayhem and maniacal terror featuring dance and specialty acts. The Show Must Go On!
  • Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure – No Halloween Horror Nights would be complete without these “excellent” dudes! The Wyld Stallyns return with an all-new Halloween adventure.

I was able to lurk around the dark alleys of Universal Studios Florida to get a peek at a few of this year’s houses with Show Director, Charles Gray and streets with Blake Braswell to pick their brains about this year’s original content.

What are some of your favorite parts of this year’s original houses?

I really like them all. For Tomb of the Ancients, we’ve taken it to the next level, adding a claustrophobic feel with tight corridors and some really cool scenic and decor. For Ghost Town – The Curse of Lightning Gulch, it’s the kind of place I would wanna play in if I was a little kid. It’s authentic! From the store fronts to the piano in the bar everything has a really unique look. Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance is my favorite story, where you go from the real world to the 3D theatre of her mind. We are setting up the stage for her story through the facade starting from where last year’s “Carnage Returns” ended to where her story picks up.

And what about some highlights from the scare zones as well?

Banshee’s Lair really has that traditional Halloween feel with a Celtic influence. There is a nice nod to Edgar Allan Poe’s “Annabel Lee” in Dead Man’s Wharf and some really cool 1950’s music in Vamp 1955. The costumes are really unique in A Chance in Hell, where Chance’s inmates that worship her take whatever they can find and use those things to look like her.

How has Chance’s split personality led to her first stand-alone house, Lunactics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance?

With this house, we’re taking the opportunity to tell the story of Chance. Everything that is happening in her mind is happening in the real world, we’re just seeing it all through her eyes. For example, Chance and her band of misfits have killed victims by chopping them up and tying them back together to look like marionettes. We’ll see that reality, but we’ll also see what it looks like in her head. The duel realities of Chance are really highlighted in this house.

The house that really tickled my fancy this year was the Tomb of the Ancients. Can you tell me about the mythology inspiration and what ancient evils have arose?

We’re all very much history buffs here. From South American, Asian and Egyptian cultures, we’ve created a world that mixes of a lot of different cultural mythologies. My favorite creature that guests will encounter is the Amut, which has the face of a crocodile with the mane and front paws of a lion.

For fans of Chance, where will guests be able to see her at this year’s event?

Chance’s story will pick up right where last year left off. In the Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance house, she breaks out and then the madness will carry over to A Chance In Hell!

When did you guys start developing the original content for this year’s event?

Actually, we started during the event last year. We tossed a lot of ideas around and then formed a lot of the houses directly afterwards.

A big thanks to Charles and Blake for sharing many great details from this year’s event.

This year’s killer line up is not complete. There is one more house yet to be unveiled and it’s just HORRIFIC! Till then, grab your tickets and start the countdown for opening night. Hope to see each and every one of you out there.

AH2T0264-1170x731.thumb.jpg.eaa62eecd93f7ccfd8c608d84aa9e9a6.jpg

AH2T0281-1170x731.thumb.jpg.406002a2ccbce66920f1e86548ea66b7.jpg

AH2T0870-1170x731.thumb.jpg.93c92502b2b8dd282afbba29a84e9119.jpg

AH2T0909-1-1170x731.thumb.jpg.ef2660816e47339ce31627e6ae24aef7.jpg

AH2T0909-1170x731.thumb.jpg.7a726d9026b000c43cf85867c1998c95.jpg

AH2T0912-1170x731.thumb.jpg.7045e3ca260ca7a257e99ed040cf4775.jpg

AH2T0976-1170x731.thumb.jpg.a7a219b8ecb585c66757ec277ec22a1a.jpg

AH2T1014-1170x731.thumb.jpg.603defa34a2c1374ce46e6e01d8cc33d.jpg

AH2T1037-1170x731.thumb.jpg.148c20387b6ff2e1e9849793b888015d.jpg

CostumeSketches_HHN26_Original-1170x731.thumb.jpg.7eb4d4a76ff9025550b8151943ed6401.jpg

GhostTown_cropped-1170x731.thumb.jpg.5ca35de5c80de60f8caff5f43d50636d.jpg

LunaticsPlayground3D_logo.thumb.png.d3e9e7ba9da27ba2835c0a88da572433.png

chanceinhell_cropped-1107x731.thumb.jpg.792ba8f20d4b71c9363f716b6de0469b.jpg

deadmanswharf_cropped-1170x731.thumb.jpg.2c415161651f9c63da8e57c00d4a7235.jpg

ghosttownsign_cropped.thumb.jpg.1ef4dbf6dada332d15bc30410b80acd6.jpg

tombs_cropped.thumb.jpg.573acb5177df7be86a93f5b95db156bb.jpg

This will be my first year not attending in 8 Years . Overall I think the event sounds pretty strong so far, but the execution could ruin a few of these. Honestly I think Ghost Town has great potential. I do miss the days when it was 5-7 original houses with one IP house. That being said, Krampus is a great fit, as it did very well at Scarehouse last year from what I understand. I really hope they can pull off exorcist, that house is the biggest reason I'm sad I can't go this year! I look forward to all of your reviews.