TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Planning our trip for this weekend...record level heat....no big deal. I couldn't find an answer to this question on the SDC website...but do you all know if the drink vendors will fill outside containers with water for free? SFSTL does this with any bottle brought in to the park, and we were wondering if anyone has done this.

Hitting the stampede, acrobats, and as many tracks as our heat tolerance will allow. Likely skipping white water though.

Maybe doing the ducks.

Open to suggestions (done titanic, and we aren't country nor religious).

It's damn hot in the Ozarks right now but not anything they haven't seen before, this isn't anywhere close to the 115 degree days a few years back. There's been plenty of rain so it is mainly a humidity thing . There's not even a burn ban in place that one may normally see this time of year.

Buy a 20oz Soda, drink and use empty bottle at water fountains.

Planning our trip for this weekend...record level heat....no big deal. I couldn't find an answer to this question on the SDC website...but do you all know if the drink vendors will fill outside containers with water for free? SFSTL does this with any bottle brought in to the park, and we were wondering if anyone has done this.

Yes, I've done this many times. They will fill any bottle with water, or give you a cup of water for free if you don't have a bottle of your own.

Hey everyone! I'll be making my first visit to Silver Dollar City the weekend of Saturday August 6th. I know people do this all the time, but I'm looking for any tips/suggestions. Feel free to be as detailed as you want.

The more the merrier!

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yes, they have a satisfaction guaranteed policy. They will give you tickets to return another day if you aren't completely happy with your visit. Just one of the many things that makes this place so awesome.

^^ Don't skip the cave tour! It's absolutely a must do. Save an hour for it. Also, don't just run from ride to ride; there are so many little things you'll miss if you do that. This is by no means a "credit run." People sometimes treat it like that, because it "only" has 4 big coasters. Take some time just strolling through the park. Look at stuff that catches your eye. You really can have a great time here without riding a single ride. The rides are just a bonus.

Enjoy your time in Branson!

Construction Update regarding the likely 2017/2018 coaster installation:

I went to the City today. Rode ThuNderaTion 3 times to scope out the construction area. In several areas there is now green spray paint markings in and around the Coaster/Column stakes. Nearly the entire hillside opposite to the coaster at the bottom loop around is scalped and totally cleared of trees and vegetation, it can be really off putting the first time you see it when you are used to "flying thru the woods" in that section. The hillside leading up the the helix just as you reach the lift hill is also scalped. Several 10-20 foot retaining walls have also been constructed with several more construction marker stakes littering all along the hillsides. It is indeed a substantial amount of real estate that they have cleared for this project.

It just (to me) fits in better with the whole 'thing' that is Silver Dollar City, itself.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, from what I could make out in all the artwork,

that this might be the same sort of coaster and design as Cobra's Curse is?

Edited by Nrthwnd

#2 a Mack Spinner with a train? The other two look like Gerstlauer cars. Mack did single cars for Cobra Curse bute the seats all face the same way. It also.looks like a reuse of Flooded Mine in a way.

#1 looks to use the waterboggan tower

Edited by ElvisLuv

Here is a photo I grabbed from Table Rock Lake. The quality is pretty poor as it was taken on my iPhone 5c, but it's an angle that people rarely get to see. From the lake you can just barely see the lift hill and top of the first drop of Outlaw Run from the lake, but you have to look very closely it in this photo (to the left of Powder Keg along the lines of the trees). You can also see the first few elements and the lift hill of Powder Keg and most of Wildfire, but again it's not the best photo.

Also, with the area cleared near Thunderation, I would guess SDC is going with concept #2 in the next couple years. Why would they clear that land if they are going with concept #1?

IMG_1627.thumb.JPG.a80f57cf42476585bd4648634b5cf9ac.JPG

Edited by The Yeti

As I mentioned from a few posts back.

Rode ThuNderaTion 3 times to scope out the construction area. In several areas there is now green spray paint markings in and around the Coaster/Column stakes. Nearly the entire hillside opposite to the coaster at the bottom loop around is scalped and totally cleared of trees and vegetation, it can be really off putting the first time you see it when you are used to "flying thru the woods" in that section. The hillside leading up the the helix just as you reach the lift hill is also scalped. Several 10-20 foot retaining walls have also been constructed with several more construction marker stakes littering all along the hillsides. It is indeed a substantial amount of real estate that they have cleared for this project.

I would rather go for a B&M inverted or dive coaster, especially for concept #2 but meh it is what it is. But I think whatever it is that they do wind up going with, it will be BIG nonetheless.