TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nagashima Spa Land Discussion Thread

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorance, but how can you patent bending and twisting what amounts to a variation of a simple I-beam?

Maybe the theory isnt as simple as that, Alan himself said there was a patent on the track style in a interview at IAAPA 2014.

From RMC's website:

Traditional wood tracks require a lot maintenance and high maintenance equals high costs. Our new IBox Track steel technology reduces maintenance costs significantly as well as increasing the track life and in turn reduces the overhead, resulting in substantial long term savings.

A complete, all steel track system, the IBox Track eliminates the need for a wood stack as the new track sits on all steel ledgers. This new track allows you to add new thrilling elements to the coaster that traditional wood tracks do not allow. Patent US 8,590,455

From RMC's website:
Traditional wood tracks require a lot maintenance and high maintenance equals high costs. Our new IBox Track steel technology reduces maintenance costs significantly as well as increasing the track life and in turn reduces the overhead, resulting in substantial long term savings.

A complete, all steel track system, the IBox Track eliminates the need for a wood stack as the new track sits on all steel ledgers. This new track allows you to add new thrilling elements to the coaster that traditional wood tracks do not allow. Patent US 8,590,455

Forgive my ignorance, but how can you patent bending and twisting what amounts to a variation of a simple I-beam?

I'm not sure that we have any patent lawyers on TPR that can properly answer that questions. Patent law can be complex.

I'm not sure that we have any patent lawyers on TPR that can properly answer that questions. Patent law can be complex.

We don't have any mechanics with experience working on complex launched wooden roller coasters either but that never stopped anyone from providing us with page after page worth of unimaginable horse sh*t about how they should have built it and what the P.R. team is doing wrong during the delay. The TPR patent law experts will be here soon. It's best to just get a beer or twelve and prepare for the inevitable.

Okay, so I am not an expert in this, but here is the patent in question. - http://www.google.com/patents/US8590455

If I'm understanding it right, the patent is for their method of fabricating the tracks. What it seems like they do is plasma cut out pieces of flat steel and use them to assemble the curves, instead of heating and bending the metal to make the curves. This process keeps the tracks stronger than they would be if they were bent into shape.

We don't have any mechanics with experience working on complex launched wooden roller coasters either but that never stopped anyone from providing us with page after page worth of unimaginable horse sh*t about how they should have built it and what the P.R. team is doing wrong during the delay. The TPR patent law experts will be here soon. It's best to just get a beer or twelve and prepare for the inevitable.

This may be the best thing i have read on the internet in a long long time

Okay, so I am not an expert in this, but here is the patent in question. - http://www.google.com/patents/US8590455

If I'm understanding it right, the patent is for their method of fabricating the tracks. What it seems like they do is plasma cut out pieces of flat steel and use them to assemble the curves, instead of heating and bending the metal to make the curves. This process keeps the tracks stronger than they would be if they were bent into shape.

Correct. Stronger, and doesn't require large powerful equipment to bend anything in a precise shape.

Kind of like pre-fabricating a wooden coaster. Got it, makes sense.

Am I understanding this correctly? Based on the concept art...

1457946994_NSLSampS.thumb.png.d047d02c987bb23f5329f7af4ebabee5.png

I'm guessing the ride will be set up in this space? I don't imagine they'd take Corkscrew down so shortly after refurbishing and moving it...

^ That looks about right to me, for it's future location. Right between the Corkscrew and Dragon 2000.

I'm sure pathways and such will be redesigned and relocated for walking through and around it all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...