Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 753 - Cyborg Ride Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:22 pm

If that's the case, a rainy day would be a good day to ride it. In my opinion the VR gimmick is completely unnecessary.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:12 am

I definitley want to try VR at least once but it's good to know rain could lead to the old dispatch times.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby thefed29 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Great day at the park today. Plenty of school groups but other than that the park was dead. Everything was a walk on or barely a 5 minute wait besides superman. Our first go on superman was probably a 20 minute wait. We tried to hit up superman right before we left and it was a walk on and they were doing technical rehearsals for the VR. The catch was you had to buy a t shirt to try it out. Figured I might as well since I wanted to try the VR but have no desire to see how nightmarish the lines will be once it's in full swing. My two cents in the VR: it was definitely pretty cool. Video was superman saving you from some villian and guiding your train to safety as he beats up on the villian. Flow with the ride was pretty good. Didn't seem awkward at all. But I can already see all the problems. It took the girl like two minutes to fit it on my head when I got in the station. When I sat in the coaster and put the goggles all the way on and saw the image I saw a building in front of me and looked around and saw some city streets. After about a minute I noticed what I was seeing to the left was probably supposed to be straight ahead. So I had an ops person come over and they had to put a completely headset on me. All in all its a cool gimmick but it's gonna wreck wait times as expected.

Du skulblaka fricai

Postby timetrial3141592 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:09 pm

So, how's the wait for VR Experience?
If this post expresses an opinion that you do not like, please refrain from bashing me, changing my profile pic and title, or sending me angry PMs. Instead try posting a thought-out response. I try to respect your views; please respect mine. Thank you.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby thefed29 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:34 am

timetrial3141592 wrote:So, how's the wait for VR Experience?

Well, I can't speak on it for sure because it is not rolling out to the public until tomorrow I believe. When I was able to get on it there was only a couple people on each ride actually doing the VR. For me it took probably two minutes for the girl to initial get the thing on my head ( they tighten all the straps for you) and then once I sat down they had to put a new one on me because it wasn't calibrated right. So multiplying that by a lot more people getting set up with them and countless issues of calibration I don't think its gonna be too smooth. Not right away at least.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 am

You know how they say there are 7 layers of hell? If you go to SFNE on Saturday and get in line for Bizarro you might discover an 8th one.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 am

coasterbill wrote:

You know how they say there are 7 layers of hell? If you go to SFNE on Saturday and get in line for Bizarro you might discover an 8th one.

:lmao: :nina:

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:47 am

They're probably going to be terrible. I waited almost an hour to get on Shockwave at SFOT with their VR gimmick. I'd estimate even with both trains, stand-by for Superman will probably be at least an hour. It's just a stupid, stupid concept.
Total Coasters: 140

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Superman The Ride VR Coaster Media Day Six Flags New England

Postby Sluggo77 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:18 am

We were able to attend SFNE's media day for Superman VR. After checking in we headed down to Superman. Throughout the park they were playing the Superman theme song which was a cool touch with the park not being open to the public yet.

Once we got down the final staircase to the lower level where the STRVRC festivities were they had a couple charismatic "Reporters" and a "Photographer" from "The Daily Planet" taking pictures and interviewing everyone about Lex Luthor and Superman. Fun and interactive but not over-the-top which was good. They also had some street performers and around the corner a DJ next to the main presentation area. The park provided refreshments before the presentation and then a full brunch buffet after it at the Johnny Rockets that's right next to Superman.

As part of the presentation they invited several local "heroes" firemen to the front and thanked them for their service. They were then the first ones sent to ride Superman VR. After their first ride we were all invited to get some food or to jump in line to try it too.

We headed to try out the VR. I was definitely a little skeptical about this addition before trying it but I have to say it is awesome!!!! The immersive 360 degree experience fits in perfectly with Superman The Ride. The story line works well and we were really impressed with the quality of it all. Right from the start you can see Metropolis. As soon as you dispatch the battle begins and through the entire ride it's a back and forth between Lex Luthor and Superman right into the final brake run. The battle even includes a surprise “twist”.

The headsets are comfortable (Although, learning from experience, make sure they are very tightly fitted around your head. Otherwise you could spend the ride keeping them adjusted as they slide around, taking away from the ride experience) and with the VR being right in sync with the coaster there were no issues with motion sickness. We tried the VR 3 times and mixed in 2 regular rides.

Verdict: With Superman being such a great coaster I still love it without the VR but I would definitely say you need to try it with it. It's an entirely different experience and nothing like I've ever ridden before. Six Flags and Samsung did a SUPER amazing job with pairing the ride and the technology. The process will slow down dispatch which had to be a given but it is a must try when you're at the park.

We want to give a huge thanks to Six Flags New England for all of their hospitality. They really went above and beyond for all of us. We had the chance to chat a few times with their Communications Manager, Jen McGrath, who is awesome and later in the day we ran into Park President, John Winkler, and he too was extremely friendly and excited about the VR addition and where it might take rides next. Also a big thanks to Robb and TPR for having us attend the event.

Here's some pics.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
Definitely a coaster meant to wear red.
04.JPG
Metropolis Reporters
05.JPG
Perfect day for this SUPER event.
06.JPG
Well attended.
07.JPG
Presentation kicked off by Jen McGrath
08.JPG
Then Park President John Winkler (A Samsung rep followed him)
09.PNG
Some of the local real hero first riders.
10.JPG
Here we go!!
11.JPG
Headsets ready as soon as you enter the station.
12.JPG
13.jpg
We're Ready!
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
One train operation today so dispatches should increase when both trains are running.
18.JPG
Large media day buffet inside Johnny Rockets.
19.JPG
20.JPG
SUPER Communications Manager Jen McGrath!
21.JPG
This year's other new addition. Fireball!
22.JPG
With this Larson Loop being built into the ground it's the best looking install so far and a fun flat.
23.JPG
Thanks for a great day Six Flags New England!
Last edited by Sluggo77 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:55 pm.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Nice photos! I'm excited to try Superman with VR in a few weeks (also my first time on the coaster). I really enjoyed it on Revolution at SFMM, so having it on an awesome Intamin hyper should be even better!

The line will likely be terrible, but at least I'll be getting Flash Pass!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!