TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Ponderosa Valley Amusement Park

^Sometime in the next few days. Here's the story and preview to get you hyped:

October 1993

A lot of time has passed since I first discovered this little gem of a park more than 20 years ago. I was disappointed to have missed the 50th anniversary, but to be fair, all they added was a go-kart track for the event. It seemed the park's age was finally getting to it, and the old entrepreneur that snagged it from developers sold it to new hands. Until now, there wasn't much word on what the new owner has decided to do with it, except that he said he's got some plans of his own. He had kept it under close secrecy, until I found this flyer:

FEAR THE FORBIDDEN FOREST

It's no trick! We've felt this Halloween season was the perfect time to announce our largest expansion in 20 years: the FORBIDDEN FOREST! Tucked in the dark pine forest behind the venerable Haunted Castle, this new expansion will welcome two new rides for guests of all ages:

-MONSTER MADNESS: This carousel-style ride has a few spooks up its sleeve, and it will be a fright for the entire family!

-REAPER: This state-of-the-art roller coaster experience will send you hurtling at breakneck speeds through the darkest depths of the forest. Did we mention you'll also be suspended beneath the rails as you scream through five inversions? Only the fearless need apply: it's a heart-stopping adrenaline rush!

[attachment=0]ForbiddenForest.png[/attachment]

Face your fears JUNE 1994...

Batman the Ride Clone

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 1994

The grand opening for the new Forbidden Forest marks the first time in a very long time that I had been to the park, so I took the opportunity to go around the park and catch up on a few things. There were a few additions to the core part of the park, as well as a wonderful revamp of one of the most classic attractions from the park's early days (I'll get to it in a minute). After a little bit of exploring, I ventured back behind Haunted Castle to see what the hype has been all about. I rather appreciate the park integrating Haunted Castle as the "gateway" into this new section: it serves as a great transition from the old into the new. As far as the rides go, Monster Madness was fairly basic, just a kiddie ride with a few little startling effects here and there. Nothing too spectacular, but families seemed to be liking it. Reaper had the longest wait in the park, but it was well worth it. Butter smooth, but incredibly intense! Hands down the best thing to happen to this park since it first got saved in the 70s! Onto the photos:

Shot0339.bmp

Hello Ponderosa Valley, my old friend...it's been a while, but the entrance skyline seems to look the same...

Shot0340.bmp

...Well, except when you turn to the right! Reaper completely dominates this side of the park, almost beckoning you to take a spin. We'll get to you in a bit!

Shot0354.bmp

The park has gone under a bit of reorganization, but they're keeping a lot of the original park's attractions (including a Loop-o-Plane that had been in storage) as part of a new County Fair theme. Glad to see the new owners are still committed to maintaining the park and its history!

Shot0355.bmp

The Action Zone is anchored by a new (since my last visit) go-kart track and Lightnin' Loop. I've heard rumors about the latter getting a retheme to fit with the look of the go karts, but nothing seems to have happened on that front.

Shot0356.bmp

The kart track is really compact and spans two levels. Makes for a very entertaining ride when you're against the right people!

Shot0357.bmp

View from the second level turnaround back toward the rest of the park.

Shot0359.bmp

Turns out I kind of lied when I said the park's 50th anniversary only added the go-karts...apparently the park had a German manufacturer go in and rebuild Alpine Bobs with new steel track, and reopened it under a new name...AlpenBlitz! Although it means the Flying Turns are officially dead, they've at least kept it in spirit.

Shot0358.bmp

Winding back through Centennial, one of Reaper's loops lurks behind the treeline...

Shot0341.bmp

Time to see what the buzz is about! We follow this new path around the side of Haunted Castle...

Shot0342.bmp

Into a completely new area of the park! Some of you might remember that a chunk of this land was originally used for the Turnpike ride before it burned down. Monster Madness sits right at the entrance of this new area...

Shot0346.bmp

But right now, Reaper's got more of my attention, so let's follow the queue and check out this crumbling church...

Shot0347.bmp

...Which is feeling a bit ominous right now. Prayers from yesteryear echo through the forgotten chapel.

Shot0348.bmp

Surely nothing bad can come from building a queue through a decrepit mausoleum in a decrepit church...

Shot0349.bmp

...Except getting flung through the air upside down at 50 mph! This thing was crazy!

Shot0350.bmp

A quick moment of relief from the insanity yields a nice view of the park. Reaper's a fantastic addition to the lineup, and the overwhelmingly positive responses it seemed to get bode well for the future!

• 2 weeks later...

May 1995

Since the park changed hands, they've been doing a lot to bring the park back to the spotlight. Forbidden Forest was a fantastic addition, and they've been hinting at future expansions along the same lines...wonder what will come of them.

This year brought some major changes to the park's infrastructure. Namely, the old cobbled paths are now GONE, and the whole park has been completely repaved. The rides additionally received new LED entrance signs, and the County Fair rides now have sheltered queues. However, the biggest change they've announced...due to expansions in lighting, the park is now extending its hours to operate at night! Onto my quick documentation of the improvements:

Shot0362.bmp

The entrance looks spiffy with its new paths.

Shot0363.bmp

The entrance plaza inside the park looks pretty nice as well!

Shot0364.bmp

To start off our tour, I'll circle around the old County Fair section starting with the Thunderbolt midway...

Shot0365.bmp

The new canopies herald back to the old color schemes of the park. I think they look a tad tacky, but I'm still happy to get some much needed shade!

Shot0366.bmp

This wall was erected at the end of the midway near Tumble Bug...possible expansion in the near future?

Shot0367.bmp

Around the corner, it's still looking pretty nice!

Shot0368.bmp

Shot0369.bmp

A look down the back midway toward Centennial...

Shot0360.bmp

And a second wall...this one looks more themed than the other one, though. Not sure what to make of it.

Shot0370.bmp

The Shaft still looks great!

Shot0371.bmp

And now that the sun has set, Centennial's looking quite good.

Shot0374.bmp

AlpenBlitz has some nice colors emanating from its caverns.

Shot0375.bmp

And back out the front entrance decked in classic Americana red, white, and blue. Loving what's happening to the park, and hope to see more excitement in the future!

September 1995

Hello again. Back with a quick update. Remember the wall at the back of the park I showed earlier this year?

Shot0376.bmp

Well, there's some new additions to it that are hinting toward the next expansion! New speakers behind the wall blast animal sounds, and a few informational displays went up with a few facts ambiguously teasing the new additions. Of the displays, this one struck me as the most intriguing:

DID YOU KNOW?

Anacondas (Eunectes murinus) have been reported to grow in excess of 30 feet and can swallow prey as large as a jaguar. We can only imagine what a 4,000+ foot long specimen would be capable of.

Go WILD 1997!

Reaper was the biggest addition in the park's history, and that was 2,700 feet long. Whatever they're adding, it's going to be crazy big. Let the speculation begin!

(Press reveal coverage coming this Saturday: stay tuned for the official announcement!)

August 1996

Today was a day that had been greatly anticipated in the community, and led to wild speculations beforehand regarding what they could possibly be up to. Before a press conference, Ponderosa Valley unveiled its upcoming expansion...and they weren't kidding when they hinted at how big it is! Here's the official release:

Here at Ponderosa Valley, we're always looking for exciting new adventures for our guests. In 1974, we brought you to the wild west town of Centennial. In 1994, we tested your courage and fear in the Forbidden Forest. For our 55th anniversary, we're taking you to the most remote corners of the world with our latest multi-million dollar expansion...ADVENTURE OUTPOST, featuring exciting new attractions for the entire family, anchored by our largest roller coaster to date:

ANACONDA: The Amazon's ultimate predator, and the stuff of legends. What it lacks in venom, it makes up in size and brute force. This 4000 foot long steel beast will plunge 24 daring riders 135 feet into 7 gut-wrenching inversions at nearly 65 mph, squeezing them with forces of up to 5G before swallowing them into its dark twisted coils. Manufactured by Bolliger and Mabillard.

anacondateaser.png.077235dc01942007b44771f2d7262ba4.png

Alongside Anaconda, we're also pleased to announce two additional adventures:

VOODOO: Ancient tribal magic will have you tumbling head over heels on this completely chaotic thrill ride! Those cursed with a weak stomach may want to think twice! Manufactured by Chance.

MAGIC CARPET: Soar up, down, and all around on this mild but wild ride above the treetops. Manufactured by Fabbri.

Prepare to go wild Summer 1997!

August 1996

Today was a day that had been greatly anticipated in the community, and led to wild speculations beforehand regarding what they could possibly be up to. Before a press conference, Ponderosa Valley unveiled its upcoming expansion...and they weren't kidding when they hinted at how big it is! Here's the official release:

Here at Ponderosa Valley, we're always looking for exciting new adventures for our guests. In 1974, we brought you to the wild west town of Centennial. In 1994, we tested your courage and fear in the Forbidden Forest. For our 55th anniversary, we're taking you to the most remote corners of the world with our latest multi-million dollar expansion...ADVENTURE OUTPOST, featuring exciting new attractions for the entire family, anchored by our largest roller coaster to date:

ANACONDA: The Amazon's ultimate predator, and the stuff of legends. What it lacks in venom, it makes up in size and brute force. This 4000 foot long steel beast will plunge 24 daring riders 135 feet into 7 gut-wrenching inversions at nearly 65 mph, squeezing them with forces of up to 5G before swallowing them into its dark twisted coils. Manufactured by Bolliger and Mabillard.

VOODOO[/b]: Ancient tribal magic will have you tumbling head over heels on this completely chaotic thrill ride! Those cursed with a weak stomach may want to think twice! Manufactured by Chance.

MAGIC CARPET: Soar up, down, and all around on this mild but wild ride above the treetops. Manufactured by Fabbri.

Prepare to go wild Summer 1997!

Is anaconda a Stand Up coaster

June 1997

After Ponderosa Valley announced Adventure Outpost, the community has been eagerly awaiting opening day for the new expansion. Well, today that day finally came! Anaconda was still in soft opening due to a few technical hiccups, so I was able to get a couple rides in...my two word review: Holy S***! Complete game changer for the park, and a fantastic continuation of the trend of developments the park has undergone. Onto the photos:

Shot0382.bmp

Here we are once again for the park's 55th anniversary! They said the skyline of the park would completely change from the addition of Anaconda, but I don't see anything from here...

Shot0383.bmp

Until you actually get in! It completely dominates the back of the park, and can be seen from almost anywhere in the gates.

Shot0384.bmp

Its imposing structure almost taunts you from wherever you see it, and the roar of both the tracks and its riders could made many a guest question his courage...

Shot0385.bmp

Well, I'll accept the challenge! Here we are at the entrance of Adventure Outpost.

Shot0386.bmp

Here's Voodoo mid cycle. My stomach will pass on this one.

Shot0387.bmp

And there it is...

Shot0388.bmp

Hopping in line...

Shot0389.bmp

Lots of foliage outside the window. We're smack in the middle of the jungle. Props to the park for the incredible landscaping on this!

Shot0390.bmp

From the upper level, we get a little peak at what's lurking out there...and it looks pretty twisted!

Shot0391.bmp

The time has officially come! Let's see just how crazy this thing is...

Shot0392.bmp

Going up about 150 feet...

Shot0393.bmp

...and back down 135 feet into a twisted mess of track!

Shot0394.bmp

Upside down!

Shot0395.bmp

We're in some deep trouble now...

Shot0396.bmp

...And it just won't let up! How long is this thing anyway?!

Shot0397.bmp

And into the final brakes. What a rush!

Shot0398.bmp

I wasn't the only one that got a kick out of it: all smiles from people getting off!

Shot0399.bmp

No doubt about it: Anaconda's a huge hit! Can't wait to see what else Ponderosa has in store for the future!

PS Thanks for 4000 thread views!

• 2 weeks later...

August 1997

Hello again. I come to you with some rather sad news...well, sad depending on how you look at it. Ponderosa's gearing up for some more revamps, this time to the County Fair area, the core of the original park:

After thrilling riders of all ages for...well, ages, we feel that the time has come to retire two venerable favorites: Roll-o-Plane and Super Slide.

Shot0400.png.91e86225122b3b50219dc7b3743649a0.png

We believe it's time for a new generation of thrills to fill these classic shoes, and blend both timeless fun and new-age technology together to bring the park into the 21st century. Both rides will close permanently at the end of the season this September. We hope to announce our plans for our multi-year revitalization this October.

As much as it pains me to see some old time classics bite the dust, I can't help but wonder what they'd be replacing them with.

October 1997

Ponderosa Valley has issued a press release for its new additions for 1998 today...well, see for yourself:

ANNOUNCING TWO NEW EXPERIENCES FOR 1998!

After retiring two of our classic rides this last month, we're excited to announce our newest additions to our ever-growing lineup of cutting edge thrills! Without further ado, here's what you can expect for the next year!

Replacing Roll-O-Plane:

TERMINAL VELOCITY: Our tallest and meanest creation yet! Venture 230 feet into the sky for an incredible view of the park and the surrounding valley. Enjoy it while it lasts, because you'll be plunging back to terra firma at breathtaking speeds. Short of falling from an airplane, this will probably the closest you'll get to total freefall! Manufactured by Intamin.

terminal.png.5ab139b39cee739f1c2754c512baa438.png

Replacing Super Slide:

SOOPER LOOPER: This one loop wonder will spin you upside down and all around for an incredible rush. Manufactured by Larson.

Shot0403.png.366d41aabe1958ee71124da86dcc2700.png

Additionally, we're in the process of working with Mack to lengthen AlpenBlitz's station to add a third car to the trains. For you number crunchers, that's an extra 50% capacity per train, which we hope will help alleviate the lines for this family favorite!

I found it kind of odd that the park would choose to add another drop ride when they have two other ones...but hey, shorter lines for AlpenBlitz will make me happy!

May 1998

Hello again, folks. I sadly missed the media previews, but I finally ventured out to the park today to try out Terminal Velocity and Sooper Looper. Definitely really solid additions...I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story!

Shot0407.bmp

Well, this is a striking new view from the parking lot!

Shot0404.bmp

It literally towers over the rest of the park. It's more than three times the height of Thunderbolt, about twice the height of Sky Jump, and about 80 feet taller than Anaconda!

Shot0408.bmp

Wrapping around the back end of Thunderbolt, we reach the base of Terminal Velocity's 230 foot tower.

Shot0409.bmp

The entrance sign. Time to hop in line...

Shot0410.bmp

Terminal Velocity's quite popular! Even for a weekday, it was about a half hour wait.

Shot0413.bmp

Welp, I'm strapped in...and it looks a lot bigger when you're actually on it!

Shot0411.bmp

The point of no return...going up!

Shot0412.bmp

At the top...and it's definitely quite the nerve wracking view from up here! Didn't take a photo from the drop, but it was insane!

Shot0414.bmp

Next up...Sooper Looper!

Shot0415.bmp

It's a refurbished portable ride...but that doesn't mean it's any less fun!

Shot0416.bmp

Closing this trip out with a return to a revamped classic...three car AlpenBlitz! As advertised, the line moved way quicker for this. The new third car is an absolute blast!

All in all 1998 has shaped up very nicely!

October 1998

Today, the park released its plans for 1999...two new flats for Forbidden Forest!

ANNOUNCING TWO SPINE-TINGLING NEW EXPERIENCES IN THE FORBIDDEN FOREST!

TARANTULA: Get tangled in a web of terror! This maniacal eight legged monster will take 24 passengers upside down and all around on a disorienting head-over-heels rush. Trust us when we say it has some serious bite! Manufactured by Mondial.

SECRET VAULT: Venture deep into the cursed catacombs of the Haunted Castle into a realm where logic and reason give way to fear and paranoia. Is this ancient crypt really spinning, or is it all in your head? Manufactured by Vekoma.

Shot0420.png.c149124398f6a07dc6a6f0bc250f52c9.png

I do like the addition of some new rides here and there to round out the selection each season, and I'd love to have this trend continue! Still, I can't help but wonder if they're stalling on adding something really major akin to Reaper or Anaconda. The next few years might be leading us toward something truly epic, if my foresight serves me well...

PS Thanks for 5000+ thread views!

October 1998

Today, the park released its plans for 1999...two new flats for Forbidden Forest!

ANNOUNCING TWO SPINE-TINGLING NEW EXPERIENCES IN THE FORBIDDEN FOREST!

TARANTULA: Get tangled in a web of terror! This maniacal eight legged monster will take 24 passengers upside down and all around on a disorienting head-over-heels rush. Trust us when we say it has some serious bite! Manufactured by Mondial.

SECRET VAULT: Venture deep into the cursed catacombs of the Haunted Castle into a realm where logic and reason give way to fear and paranoia. Is this ancient crypt really spinning, or is it all in your head? Manufactured by Vekoma.

[attachment=0]Shot0420.png[/attachment]

I do like the addition of some new rides here and there to round out the selection each season, and I'd love to have this trend continue! Still, I can't help but wonder if they're stalling on adding something really major akin to Reaper or Anaconda. The next few years might be leading us toward something truly epic, if my foresight serves me well...

PS Thanks for 5000+ thread views!

Mondial Top Scan and Vekoma Madhouse dark ride

June 1999

Ducked to the park today to see the two new rides, and they were definitely pretty fun! Tarantula was arguably a little too intense for me (not quite enough to make me lose my lunch...but very close), but Secret Vault was a really nifty experience. Enough to make your head spin, but not nauseating at all...it was a really cool effect! Anyway, onto the photos:

Shot0423.bmp

Into the Forbidden Forest once more, and boy has it grown!

Shot0421.bmp

First up: Tarantula, in all its nauseating glory!

Shot0422.bmp

The one photo I managed to snag mid cycle. Seriously, how do people even handle these kind of things? It's just crazy!

Shot0419.bmp

Hopefully Secret Vault will be a little nicer on my body...

Shot0418.bmp

Deep into the bowels of the Haunted Castle...

Shot0417.bmp

Inside the Vault itself as it spins around us. Really disorienting, but really neat! Had to keep the flash off, so apologies for the darkness.

PS My game has been crashing a ton recently, so I probably won't be updating as often as I used to. I am NOT quitting, and I have content lined up for future updates. That said, polishing the new stuff up and documenting it has become a pretty big hassle for me. .-.

August 1999

Hey folks, I have some developments on something new coming to the park...remember this wall I showed a few years back?

Well, similar to the manner in which Adventure Outpost and Anaconda were teased, this wall has a few teaser flyers tacked onto the wall:

Where the gods fall, heroes will rise...
If the wolf can vanquish the King of the Gods...what chances will you have?
Our most epic expansion yet, to be announced Halloween 1999...

Additionally, like the teasing of Anaconda, speakers behind the wall play the sounds of clinking metal and a wolf's howl...I'm sure it will make sense when it's announced, but for now, I have no ideas. If this ends up as advertised, this could be really big!

PS Thanks for nearly 6000 thread views!