TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Coastin' In The Deep South

This was a really fun day at the park, good write up too! It was a pleasure meeting you.

My trip continues and I'm currently in a hotel 20 mins from SFGAdv, got up to 3 days of the park to enjoy. Since SFOG, this trip has taken me to Carowinds, Silver Dollar City, Sea World San ANtonio, SFFT and SFOT. Still to come are Hershey, Kenobles, Maybe Dorney, and SFNE! Oh, and probably Luna park too If I can figure out how to get there from LGA after dropping off the car!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The long anticipated Boldikus Georgia trip report is finally here and it didn't disappoint. This park is definitely on my bucket list and it sounds like it really is a great place. Glad you had fun!

My only suggestion for your next trip report would be more skyway pictures and a little less non-skyway pictures. Lol jk

^

This was a really fun day at the park, good write up too! It was a pleasure meeting you.

My trip continues and I'm currently in a hotel 20 mins from SFGAdv, got up to 3 days of the park to enjoy. Since SFOG, this trip has taken me to Carowinds, Silver Dollar City, Sea World San ANtonio, SFFT and SFOT. Still to come are Hershey, Kenobles, Maybe Dorney, and SFNE! Oh, and probably Luna park too If I can figure out how to get there from LGA after dropping off the car!

You're a wild man! Been loving your FB updates. Was also great to meet you too, and great having another geek to spend most of the the day with. And THANKS FOR YOUR PHOTOS. This report would be half of what it is without them!

Awesome TR, once again. I feel like at this point, between this, Dorney and Cedar Point/Kennywood reports, I plan trips based on your reviews and opinions, lol. I love how you break up blocks of text/stories/opinions between pictures. Makes it a lot easier to read and just more interesting.

Looks like a nice park with a decent collection. Well done!

^ LOL Thanks! That was actually the first time I'd done that with the text and photos, I hadn't figured out how to do that til recently. All my other reports are a giant block of text, then all the photos. Unfortunately I flubbed it and its not totally in order but at least I know what I'm doing for the next one. I agree it makes it much easier to read - I was inspired to do that by a few other posters' reports.

Again, thanks for reading and all the comments, everyone.

Great report. My home park was SFGadv until this past year when I moved to NC. Still have a season pass for SFGadv for when I come up, but have always wanted to visit SFOG. I used to get my pass at SF America near DC cause it was 50 compared to ours being 89, but stopped doing that once the price was the same across the board. I could only spend about 3 hours in that park due to the workers being so damn slow, so I know how you feel. If you are ever in the area, I would recommend Carowinds (only been there once so far) just for fury 325 (ruined Nitro for me lol), Intimidator is good also, as is Afterburner, which imo, puts batman to shame. Funny you mentioned the Kamikaze from down Wildwood...that was my first "real" coaster, would love to see her again, and dare I say, ride it again. Maybe the paint job will make it smoother....not a chance in hell!

^ and ^^ thanks for the comments!

My home park was SFGadv until this past year when I moved to NC. Still have a season pass for SFGadv for when I come up, but have always wanted to visit SFOG. I used to get my pass at SF America near DC cause it was 50 compared to ours being 89, but stopped doing that once the price was the same across the board. I could only spend about 3 hours in that park due to the workers being so damn slow, so I know how you feel. If you are ever in the area, I would recommend Carowinds (only been there once so far) just for fury 325 (ruined Nitro for me lol), Intimidator is good also, as is Afterburner, which imo, puts batman to shame.

What's funny is coasterbill and I talked about this not long ago. Carowinds is sooooo low on my bucketlist, the only real interest I have is in Fury and Afterburner, the park looks pretty generic and the rest of the line-up (besides Intimidator maybe) sounds dull. I know not to judge rides until I ride them - or a park before I visit - but there are just so many other parks I would sooner go to. That said, SFOG was really low on my bucketlist too, the opportunity to visit arose and since it was free entry (w/ my season pass) I made it happen, and I'm so glad I did because I liked the park overall so much. I would totally go back, they just need to build something to inspire another trip. There are just soooo many other parks to get to before that. But if something near Carowinds would arise...

Funny you mentioned the Kamikaze from down Wildwood...that was my first "real" coaster, would love to see her again, and dare I say, ride it again. Maybe the paint job will make it smoother....not a chance in hell!

Other than Sea Serpent and I guess GASM @ Great Adv, Kamikaze was one of the first *big* steel looping coasters for me. I don't know if I'd count Lightning Loops as big. Part of me wished Ninja was open because nostalgia, but I was happy I didn't ride any rides that could have possibly given me a headache lol.

Oh snap, I just noticed - front page!

What's funny is coasterbill and I talked about this not long ago. Carowinds is sooooo low on my bucketlist, the only real interest I have is in Fury and Afterburner, the park looks pretty generic and the rest of the line-up (including Intimidator) sounds dull.

Fixed that for you.

Fury is a lot fun, as is Afterburner. The park also has a good set of flyers. The Taste of the Carolinas food festival, which ends May 1, is worth checking out. I was there for it last year and was quite impressed with the food and beer selections. Overall, Carowinds is a nice park that's steadily improving.

I always worry I post too much about drinking LMAO. I'd like to make it clear I'm not some drunk LOL but on vacation or at parks I like to get a little loose. Also in case I didn't mention it my sister and her other half are both bartenders (he actually owns a bar in Athens) so there was no shortage of alcohol around.

I laughed when I saw you had a Blue Moon for breakfast on the plane!

Don't worry, we do the same thing when we are on vacation...or whenever we make a trek to a theme park. Glad that they had 420 available there...good to know should we ever visit!

^ I had an iced macchiato and a giant danish for breakfast! Considering how long I'd been up by then, the blue moon was brunch (even tho it was 6amsomething lol).

Great TR. Out of all of the Six Flags parks I've seen, SFOG is the most appealing to me as it seems to have the most trees I've seen in any of the chain. Not to mention the park looks like it has a solid line up.

Somehow I completely missed that you posted this in its own thread, I kept checking the SFOG thread looking for it. D'oh! Better late than never though. Glad you had an awesome time, I'm definitely hoping to swing down that way at some point soon (with any luck, maybe later this year)! Thanks for the extremely detailed write up and tons of photos from both of you!

...I always worry I post too much about drinking, LMAO. I'd like to make it clear I'm not some drunk LOL, but on vacation or at parks, I like to get a little loose. Also in case I didn't mention it, my sister and her other half are both bartenders (he actually owns a bar in Athens), so there was no shortage of alcohol around....

Hey, that reasoning works for me. Cheers!

Great TR! I've been going to SFOG since I was a little kid and I sometimes take it for granted, not seeing how great of a park it really is. It's always nice to hear from somebody that has never been there and really enjoyed it. It helps bring back my enthusiasm for the park and makes me appreciate it a little more. Here lately, I've been finding everything wrong with the park instead of looking for everything right with the park. I guess that's just because I've been there so many times and occasionally get bored with the same thing. But for reals, deep down, I love the park. I have a membership to the park. I want the park to be great. And when I see somebody enjoy the park, it makes me happy. Glad you had a great time, dude.

• 2 months later...

Took me forever to realize this was posted in its own thread because I've been a little busy lately. Thanks for the great report though! I loved reading a fresh perspective on my home park. I would definitely agree with just about everything you said.