TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

If they're only taking from the operation/entertainment side of the parks and not future attraction budgets then the cutbacks likely won't affect too much down the road. Can they get SHDL up and running the money stream should even itself out again.

Unless SHDL is DLP 2.0 which is probably the last thing Disney wants right now.

I think the gp is going to be very supportive of Shanghai, considering an enormous number of the

Chinese population have never been to Hong Kong Disneyland. I don't think it will be as $$$ rough

as DLP went through, in it's first decade.

Actually I am willing to bet, the opening year numbers will shock even Disney, at how 'ready' the

Chinese were, for a Disney Park to open in their own country.

By the way, has anybody heard or read/seen anything about how the World of Disney Store is doing,

over by the Pearl Tower, in Shanghai itself? I'm curious, thanks.

Stumbled across this piece when making the rounds today. Is there any validity to it? It reeks of the kind of rumor that you just pass by without reading, but it would be pretty unfortunate (in my opinion) if it were true.

wdwnt.com/blog/2016/02/breaking-shanghai-disney-puts-financial-strangle-hold-on-domestic-disney-parks/

Shanghai Disneyland is behind schedule and over budget, so Disney Parks will be looking to shave some money off their operational budget by cutting labor hours [and some entertainment options] at both the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts.

If you pay attention to the company, you will notice a string of cutbacks happening, most visibly from entertainment. Cutbacks happen when money is being drained. And Shanghai is coming into the home stretch, sucking money fast to finish the park.

Or it could just be cutting back to meet the actual crowd demands of the park? This is technically the slower time of the year...

^ Great shot! Hmmm. I wonder what the blue and orange buildings are for?

The orange building has shown up in a few art concepts of that part of the

park, but not identified, so far.

I'd guess one could be for food, and the other for souvenirs? Or a blue power station?

Also, the maze I believe is the second attraction (w/a few Haunted Mansions)

to get a Tim Burton film theme. That Queen of Hearts head in the photo (with

the worker beside it), looks HUGE!

db_2012_0718_SDL_Map11.jpg.0b9a6f3488512c5f1064c73716d8c226.jpg

On one of the oldest renderings I have, this one clearly shows both buildings, to the right of the Castle, below the Wonderland Maze. (o:

Not at all, the cut backs the resorts are seeing are wide spread and are deeper then slow season entertainment cuts.

I feel like there has to be more to this story than just Shanghai being over budget...

Oh, yes, ESPN is hemorrhaging money as well. And its more money then Shanghai cost to build! Its just that all resources go to the new park when its about to open, then things will go back to normal.

I don't think it's a matter of diverting resources (it's Disney---they can buy what they need!), but it sounds more like a "because we spent so much more here and other divisions suck and we don't have Star Wars to bail us out this year...lets make the balance sheets look a bit better for the year"

we don't have Star Wars to bail us out this year

Rogue One comes out this year

Technically - I'm pretty sure they do have Star Wars to bail them out!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney's fiscal year run October thru September? (Disney's Fiscal 2015 ended on 3rd October, 2015)

So, while Rogue One will hit their 2017 fiscal year, all the revenues from The Force Awakens are hitting the same financial year (2016) as Shanghai Disney's opening.

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.cn/en/press-room/press-release-shanghai-disney-resort-marks-100-day-countdown/

Exactly 100 days from today, Shanghai Disney Resort will welcome its first official guests on June 16, 2016. To celebrate this exciting milestone, Shanghai Disney Resort has launched a digital countdown clock on the resort’s website, http://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com, the official source of news and information about the resort.

Once operational, a visit to Shanghai Disney Resort will offer guests an experience unlike any other in the world. With six themed lands demonstrating Disney’s relentless innovation and famous creativity, Shanghai Disneyland will be a world-class destination that provides the best of Disney to the people of China. From attractions for multi-generational families to live entertainment, nighttime spectaculars and special moments with Cast Members, there will be numerous ways for guests of all ages to enjoy Shanghai Disney Resort.

As the grand opening draws closer, the resort teams are already conducting extensive preparations for the first official guests, including testing and adjusting attractions, conducting rehearsals for entertainment experiences, landscaping across the entire site, and undertaking other prepatory work to prepare an exciting guest experience across Shanghai Disney Resort on opening day.

Beginning March 28, 2016, guests will be able to purchase theme park tickets, tickets to THE LION KING production at Disneytown, and make resort hotel reservations through authorized, official channels, including http://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.

Guest can learn more about developments across Shanghai Disney Resort through regular updates posted on the resort’s official website, http://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.

Adventure-Isle_600.jpg.a0d429cd1c734dbd96abec1fb77fabc0.jpg

Adventure Isle, an exciting new land found only at Shanghai Disneyland, will immerse guests in a newly discovered lost world brimming with mystery and hidden treasure. Guests will easily find this land by the sight of the mighty Roaring Mountain, source of an ancient legend.

Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-600.thumb.jpg.c8bf99f7df8e83fd3f277024406a3560.jpg

Guests will experience an all-new story with their favorite pirate characters, such as Davy Jones, aboard Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure.

Seven-Dwarfs-Mine-Train-6001.jpg.4451d566bce43ac928c898fe32199068.jpg

Inspired by Disney’s classic animated film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, this family-friendly coaster – Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – will take guests into a fabulous mine glittering with jewels.

Shanghai-Disneyland-Hotel-600.thumb.jpg.4261133964d3a73f28bd539586d85a05.jpg

The rich details of the lobby of the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel highlight the grandeur of this Art Nouveau hotel.

Sunset-over-Enchanted-Storybook-Castle-600.jpg.ce4df971b6b16ac3c22cf8c271754481.jpg

The Enchanted Storybook Castle will shine as the dramatic landmark of Shanghai Disneyland, the tallest structure in the theme park and also the tallest, largest and most interactive Disney castle in the world. In another first for Shanghai Disneyland, this will be the first castle to represent all the Disney princesses.

TRON-Lightcycle-Power-Run-600.jpg.6974ee4f5002079fbda072babb02697b.jpg

Ride testing is taking place for the thrilling, high-speed TRON Lightcycle Power Run, a first of its kind attraction for any Disney theme park around the world.

The-Many-Adventures-of-Winnie-the-Pooh-600.jpg.c710e9fa71d22cd6cc1da52e6afb455a.jpg

Guests on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh will journey through the adventures of Pooh and his friends with oversized storybooks telling the story in Chinese.

Toy-Story-Hotel_600.jpg.6cc5505c41ba6314948d745bef70721d.jpg

Floating above the guests in Sunnyside Café in Toy Story Hotel will be Chinese-style kites featuring Toy Story characters, inspired by traditional kite craftsmanship from Weifang in China’s Shandong Province.

Treasure-Cove_meitu-600.jpg.a245d5c79eb89cc67f3e0f582508a0b4.jpg

Action abounds throughout Treasure Cove with exciting entertainment throughout the land.

Voyage-to-the-Crystal-Grotto-600.thumb.jpg.f0b16b3174cbb00623d9abc349c56398.jpg

Mulan is one of the many classic stories that guests will discover while cruising the water aboard Voyage to the Crystal Grotto in Fantasyland.

Oh, yes, ESPN is hemorrhaging money as well. And its more money then Shanghai cost to build! Its just that all resources go to the new park when its about to open, then things will go back to normal.

I don't think it's a matter of diverting resources (it's Disney---they can buy what they need!), but it sounds more like a "because we spent so much more here and other divisions suck and we don't have Star Wars to bail us out this year...lets make the balance sheets look a bit better for the year"

Yes, its an indirect suckage, lol. And its all to still to be able to show profits on the books. So, the domestic parks are carrying the weight of spending elsewhere within the company. Its not that they are out of money, it to be able to still show the company made more then they spent. And as soon as Shanghai opens, the massive spending will slow waaaaaaaay down. Allowing the cuts to be lifted.

ESPN is another story though...

All of these new photos look so great. But I think the one that actually came #2 to ^ that great Pirates AA photo...

(Those Davy Jones' tentacles possibly moving, makes me shudder a bit.)

The one of Mulan in the Crystal Grotto Voyage. I think this is like taking Story Book Canal Boats and plussing it up

as a real "E" attraction. I love the painting on the horse, up on the bridge, there.

Am so excited about what's "Under the Castle", etc.

thumb_voyage-to-the-crystal-grotto-600.jpg.e4248dca0363852dc034ef868c49f5fb.jpg

Lovely, just lovely.

shanghai_MAP-08.png.4e5bda991ff8f19ac138b87c7b438bcc.png

Here's where Mulan will be on the boat ride. TOP MIDDLE in this shot of part of a posted park map.

Treasure-Cove.png.acad2dd92179f5f016daa76c7e6f8d3b.png

Also, I just noticed that the "home" that was at the end of the 7 Dwarf's Mine Train Ride, isn't in the same location, here.

Notice that it's now parked beside, where the coaster exits the station, and turns into the first lift hill. (o:

Hmmmm.

Edited by Nrthwnd

For myself, a massive Disney Asian Tour (DAT) would be in order.

Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, with a bit of Beijing thrown in.

And what a tour that would be, hmmm?

And po$$ible.....