TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Marine World's "Tava's Jungleland" Tour

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was digging through the 600+ shots from my Monday visit to SFMW and just came across the photo below. It's cropped out of a set of photos that were taken during Boomerangs first lift/drop. I have a full burst set of pictures of this lady making crazy faces that I'm about to turn into an animated GIF. I've been sitting here laughing my ass of for the last 5 minutes so I figured I should share the goodness.

The lady in the yellow is priceless. That's a Vekoma face if I've ever seen one!

BTW I'm working on a huge update that includes all the images outside of the Tava's tour. Link coming soon.

Sean-

(Wally name the time and place dude and it's on, first and second round on me.)

DSC_2625.jpg.c04828e231c358cfcc5be2c27fd709ad.jpg

Animated version of this coming soon!

^ Well, there are only two dedicated kiddie areas, but the whole park - with the exception of the coasters near the gate - is pretty much a kid's area, really. There are family-friendly rides throughout, there's feed-the-giraffes, ride-the-elephants, and pet-the-rays, and all the shows are firmly pitched toward the 5th-grader mentality.

I know I'm an old grouch, but...the SFMW crowd has always been more mixed, age-wise, than its range of attractions has been, and it shows. When I've gone with my grade-school friend, the kid's coaster near Medusa has always been a walk-on, even when the Medusa queue was endless. And, though I only go on weekdays, I've never noticed the Looney Tunes area being at all crowded, partly because there's so much else to for kids to do everywhere in the park. Head-corporate must have decided that the teenage-and-above market, not to mention those of us fogies who don't need a babysitter, just wasn't worth pursuing, so they're (metaphorically) expanding Fantasyland while letting Tomorrowland rot. And I'm looking at switching my SF pass to PGA next season...

You know what cracks me up? Is the name of that kiddy boat ride called Safari River Journey! It just goes in a small circle!!!

Hahaha some journey that is!!!

I know it's a kids ride but the name is just to far fetched for what it is i think!!

Safari River Ride would of been a bit better!!

This should make a great addition to SFMW. I can really see that Shapiro is trying to extend out to families. Great work SF, keep it up!

---Brent

I keep hearing that, and it puzzles me. When was SFMW not first and foremost a family park? There's a grand total of three top-tier thrill rides (all of which have been indifferently operated and spottily maintained, and the newest of which is 5 years old), one SBNO mistake, a Boomerang and an SLC, and that's about it. The rest of the blend is relentlessly family-friendly...whale show, aviary, tiger show, bird show, pet the dolphins, Looney Tunes Seaport, a family coaster near Medusa, lots of family-suitable flats throughout, and the last expansion was the stingray-and-dolphin area. What this does is make the park more toddler-friendly. When the Jungleland protoype opened at SFGAdv, it accompanied the opening of Kingda Ka. When Tava's Jungleland opens at SFMW, it will be accompanied by nothing more thrilling than a 50% hike in parking fees...

I think one thing that makes me love Tava's JL is how most of the rides are small. Also, since they seem to be spaced out it makes the area seem more intimate. Having the playground is an excellent touch, they should add a lot of picnic tables around it. Families + lunch and a playground within parental view = big hit

It sure has changed there since my last few visits. When I was really young I used to go up there every Presidents Day. Kids got in free for drawing a picture of their favorite president. Then' Six Flags bought them and tried to use the clone tool off of other Six Flags parks. It's nice to see that they finally realized that Marine World Africa USA was and remains to be in a different league. This addition seems like what they really need to bring back their real market. Now if only they'd return the Presidents Day deal.

This should make a great addition to SFMW. I can really see that Shapiro is trying to extend out to families. Great work SF, keep it up!

---Brent

I keep hearing that, and it puzzles me. When was SFMW not first and foremost a family park? There's a grand total of three top-tier thrill rides (all of which have been indifferently operated and spottily maintained, and the newest of which is 5 years old), one SBNO mistake, a Boomerang and an SLC, and that's about it. The rest of the blend is relentlessly family-friendly...whale show, aviary, tiger show, bird show, pet the dolphins, Looney Tunes Seaport, a family coaster near Medusa, lots of family-suitable flats throughout, and the last expansion was the stingray-and-dolphin area. What this does is make the park more toddler-friendly. When the Jungleland protoype opened at SFGAdv, it accompanied the opening of Kingda Ka. When Tava's Jungleland opens at SFMW, it will be accompanied by nothing more thrilling than a 50% hike in parking fees...

I also think that SFMW is lacking in the thrillsarea. Even in the "family area" of the park its lacking. The park, I think, is needs a bunch of dark rides like a Looney Toons shooter dark ride and maybe something like Spiderman at IOA, of course that last one is asking a little to much because Spiderman is like nothing I've ever seen before.

On Saturday (April 22) Tava's Jungleland opened!!! I have to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit and spent over 2 hours in it! I was able to get on Congo Queen, Jungle Jeeps, and Nairobi Lookout Balloons. I was on the first cycle of Congo Queen for the public. They only allow 8 adults on the ride per cycle. The Balloons are also fun to spin. Frog Hopper is fun to watch, but I wasn't able to get on... yet.

Most of the time we played in the play structure. The top slide is fun to swing in and when you get to the curly part, you hit it very hard and it shakes the entire slide. There is an operator at the top of the tower making sure that kids that are too small don't slide down and that they wait until the next kids get out of it. There are two smaller slides that are unmonitored and if you swing into them you can get rubber rash. There are several musical instruments, two find the pictures, two periscopes, two skill things with little balls, several rope bridges, and a fake hamburger grill!!! So if you see some kid trying to sell "hamburgers" to all the little kids running around, that's probably me...

Oasis was running but mostly to get the water jets unclogged. It was pretty cold that day, but I still ran through it. The other rides were closed but should be opening soon.

They haven't added any animals yet, but will be adding some in the opening sign supports which double as cages and around the Jeep Tours. There will be camels next to the jeeps and it goes close enough that the animals could potentially bite or spit at the kids. It is a very nice addition to the park especially for the younger set but I still had fun.

• 2 weeks later...