TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'll sleep fine at night knowing that I missed a boat pulling into dock . I guess that construction just doesn't interest me much anymore after I've been working in the engineering industry for years.

You working in the engineering industry doesn't impress us. Just because your not interested in something doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't be.

Long live that boat

Edited by FaithPlus1

That vertical track looks AMAZING! Not complaining at all but I wish they would have dug the bottom of the first drop into the ground 20-30 feet so the vertical part of the track could be that much longer. Then maybe they could have added a tunnel because if history has taught me anything, coaster enthusiasts LOVE tunnels!

But I've never been on a dive coaster before so maybe it's not necessary.

Anyway thanks for the pictures guys, the ride is absolutely MASSIVE! I'm also not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight if that boat doesn't come back!

That vertical track looks AMAZING! Not complaining at all but I wish they would have dug the bottom of the first drop into the ground 20-30 feet so the vertical part of the track could be that much longer. Then maybe they could have added a tunnel because if history has taught me anything, coaster enthusiasts LOVE tunnels!

But I've never been on a dive coaster before so maybe it's not necessary.

Anyway thanks for the pictures guys, the ride is absolutely MASSIVE! I'm also not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight if that boat doesn't come back!

I'd love an underground tunnel, too, but if the construction crew digs just a few feet into the ground, they'll hit water. That's one of the drawbacks of Cedar Point's location on the lake, and the reason no coaster in the park has an underground tunnel. It's not a huge deal in my opinion. Valravn still looks like it'll be awesome.

Then maybe you picked the wrong career?

I love my career. It's just that the construction or building phase is the only part that isn't hands on for me. It's a waiting game. I love seeing the finished product when it's finally done and the troubleshooting phase afterwards is my favorite part.

Valravn's support structure for the first drop and pull out seems lopsided and unstable. Let me be clear - I know that it's not and that B&M are well aware of what they're doing so let's skip all of the "armchair engineering" comments - but with all of those angled supports, it seems like there needs to be a vertical one thrown in there to balance everything out. The other two big dive coasters have a vertical beam where the pullout starts. Maybe B&M figured out how to have the track itself hold the drop and pullout in place, I don't know. Maybe some of the engineers on the site can shed some light on how they were able to achieve this or why they may have gone a different route this time around

^ Maybe B&M realized that one vertical support just wasn't needed?? Or maybe they have found a way to make the spine stronger, so it doesn't need the vertical support??

Don't worry, I've noticed the same thing with Valravn's supports, and I also found my self wondering "Why didn't they just use one vertical support??"

I don't know why they didn't, but they have a reason!

Valravn's support structure for the first drop and pull out seems lopsided and unstable. Let me be clear - I know that it's not and that B&M are well aware of what they're doing so let's skip all of the "armchair engineering" comments - but with all of those angled supports, it seems like there needs to be a vertical one thrown in there to balance everything out. The other two big dive coasters have a vertical beam where the pullout starts. Maybe B&M figured out how to have the track itself hold the drop and pullout in place, I don't know. Maybe some of the engineers on the site can shed some light on how they were able to achieve this or why they may have gone a different route this time around

According to the construction progress diagram, the shaded support that I circled has not been added yet, and that looks to be a vertical support holding up the pullout:

valravn-progress-12-31-15.thumb.png.66b3a68d806e07c967f87cfd1382aeef.png

Griffon has one like this too, again circled in red:

bgw_griffon_72dpi_6261.jpg.de91d045ac93484002805457e07dad47.jpg

Maybe B&M saw the extra support as overkill and decided to eliminate it from the final design. With the large prices of coasters nowadays, the less steel needed, the better. We've seen companies like Intamin and B&M cutting down in supports where they're not always needed for this reason. If it isn't added soon though, I wouldn't expect it to be added at all, as they're about ready to move onto the next section.

Judging from the looks of it, they probably eliminated the support for two reasons. One, they would have probably erected that one first as it would have been the easiest, and two, the force of the train at that point would be pushing more outwards than downwards. I could be wrong though.

I can't tell if he wants a reply or not. He says to skip it, then asks to shed light on it... I am confused.

Yeah, what I meant was let's skip the three pages of people accusing me of knowing better than the engineers who designed the ride, not skip your take on why B&M designed the supports the way they did