TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Front Seat Vs. Back Seat Coasters.

Which seat do you prefer on your favorite coasters? How about the coasters at your home park?

For me, front seat rides would be Fury 325, Steel Force, Green Lantern (SFGAdv) Kingda Ka, Possessed, Phoenix.

Back seat rides: Talon, Skyrush, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Afterburn, El Toro, Nitro.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "back seat" is the default answer for most coasters if you're into airtime. I know that Apollo's Chariot is much better in the back seat than in any other row.

This is not an absolute, though.

Edited by cfc

99% of the time we will only ride roller coasters in the front row. UNLESS: We have read or been told to sit else where on a roller coaster for a better experience IE: Magnum, not sitting above a wheel, second to last seat on Beast, ect... However, to us nothing beats being the front of a roller coaster, and having an unobstructed view of what's to come.

I hate having people in front of us on roller coasters. It never fails, if I sit anywhere but the front on a roller coaster I always end up behind a girl with obnoxiously long hair, and half way through the ride I am being hit in the face with her hair. Or there is always that one kid who thinks it's funny to spit on the roller coaster at random times, and I end up getting hit with it. So to avoid any of this we just sit in the front row. Another reason we started booking VIP Tours at any park we go to... We don't have to wait for the front row!

I always go for the back on coasters, though I do believe there are plenty of coasters better enjoyed in the front seat. Most B&M inverts (hell, all inverts) I like in the front, Steel Force and Thunderhawk are considerably better in the front, but the majority of my favorites that I have ridden in both front and back (El Toro, Nitro, Skyrush, Maverick, etc) I prefer the back. I will almost always go right for the back of the train - its routine at this point. Not to mention the wait is always less.

edit: how long until this turns into a Skull Mountain back seat appreciation thread? LOL

I always go for the back on coasters, though I do believe there are plenty of coasters better enjoyed in the front seat. Most B&M inverts (hell, all inverts) I like in the front, Steel Force and Thunderhawk are considerably better in the front, but the majority of my favorites that I have ridden in both front and back (El Toro, Nitro, Skyrush, Maverick, etc) I prefer the back. I will almost always go right for the back of the train - its routine at this point. Not to mention the wait is always less.

I love the view from the front of inverts and flyers, but I've found the back seat to be much more intense in general despite the terrible view. Rode Superman Ultimate Flight in the back row for the first time on Sunday at Holiday in the Park and was blown away at how forceful the entire ride was, instead of just the pretzel loop.

I've been trying to get at least 2 rides in on every coaster I get on now, once in the front, once in the back (lines permitting of course) I've been finding a load of coasters that I thought would be better in the front are actually much more forceful/intense in the back, or vice-versa.

I think "back seat" is the default answer for most coasters if you're into airtime. I know that Apollo's Chariot is much better in the back seat than in any other row.

This is not an absolute, though.

I feel like this is more true on Apollo's Chariot than almost any other coaster. When I visited the park last time I had Quick Queue and opted to wait in the normal line every time since they only let you ride row 2 with Quick Queue and honestly this ride is probably my least favorite B&M hyper in the 2nd row but very good in the back.

^^ Supermans pretzel loop is downright maniacal in the back row.

I'll also add I prefer floorless coasters in the front. Since Bizarro never has a line I've started waiting for the front. I also liked Hydra better in the front. The front or back of floorless coasters are usually most forceful imo, but the floorless aspect is only really apparent up front.

My Partner *hates* front car, and will not ride it.

so we always end up more in the middle, tho where exactly depends on the type of coaster:

wood: closer to the front (ie: 2nd car)

Steel: closer to the back (ie: next to last car)

I typically prefer the back seat on most coasters since they tend to throw me around more (in a good way) and giver better airtime, although I prefer the front seat if I'm on an invert, a floorless, or a particularly rough coaster.

I typically prefer the back seat on most coasters since they tend to throw me around more (in a good way) and giver better airtime, although I prefer the front seat if I'm on an invert, a floorless, or a particularly rough coaster.

^^^This sums up my point of view perfectly^^^

^^^This sums up my point of view perfectly^^^

I prefer the backseat of Griffon; again, this is for the improved airtime. But the view from the front is better.

Back seat about 95% of the time for me... Only exception would be a launched coaster like Dragster or Vertical Velocity... Also opt for the front on GIB's... Have yet to try a full circuit launched coaster so the jury's still out on that, but feeling the back is where I'd want to be...

Maybe it's me but I've actually started to get disappointed when I'm riding with someone that's not super nerdy about coasters and goes ahead to wait for any row but the back (unless it's an invert or floorless, etc, as mentioned).

When I'm with people that know about my nerdy side I'll suggest the back on most coasters, but I usually prefer just having a good time with whoever I'm with than interrupting and having to explain why we must sit in the back. At that point I just say "okay" but I'm secretly disappointed and I make mental notes during the ride where the forces would be so much stronger in the back It's a bit of a problem of mine actually haha.

But to answer the question, like most here I gravitate towards the back on most coasters, especially two across seating where you have to wait more trains than it looks like and the front is 20 mins from the station.

I always like to sit in the back 99% of the time unless its Kingda Ka because the back seat is rough. I also will never sit in the back of a SLC or for that fact any Vekoma. And sitting at the back on Ghost Rider was probably the worst choice i'v ever made. Apart from those I love that back, El Toro, Shambhala & Expedition Geforce come to mind as my favourites. I rode Twisted Colossus in the front actually (not by choice) and I was so disappointed, but my opinion was change as soon as I rode the back seat.

I've been riding coasters in the back ever since... well ever since I've been riding coasters. It's just so much more intense for pretty much all coasters, and the wait is less. Plus you don't get a pop of air over the first hill in the front, and that is probably the best part of most rides. Even on inverts, I prefer the back as the track is more unpredictable. Raptor's zero g roll still gets me every time because I don't expect it and it throws you around good.

There are only a few coasters I will ride in the front. The biggest one coming to my mind right now is Silver Comet at Martin's Fantasy Island. There is no airtime in the back besides the first drop. However, in the front it is vice-versa. Airtime everywhere BUT the first drop. It's really one of the few exceptions I'll make.

Oh god I could write an encyclopedia on this (I'm a nerd... not sure if you guys knew).

Generally speaking each coaster type seems to be the same across the board with a few exceptions here and there.

For example:

B&M Hypers: Back

...especially on Apollo's Chariot. In any seat but the back Apollo is mediocre but it's awesome in the back. Intimidator at Carowinds may be a front seat ride because of the sensation of speed since the ride itself is so damn forceless.

B&M Giga's: Front

But Fury is mind blowingly awesome in every seat.

B&M Floorless: Back.

On Dominator at Kings Dominion this is especially true. It rips down the drop with great ferocity and has awesome hang time in the loop.

B&M Inverts: Front

The exceptions here are the 2 large old-school inverts with pretzel loops, Montu and Afterburn. Both coasters take those elements at ridiculous speeds in the back. Montu seems like it defies physics by not killing everyone on the train with the speed it takes that thing yet somehow it's butter smooth

B&M Wing Coasters: Front

B&M Flyers: Front

Especially when it's hot out and the people in front of you remove flip flops. In the front you don't have people's feet in your face.

Vekoma GIB's: Front

Most are still good everywhere except for Goliath which thanks to it's new train is horrendous in ever seat but the front.

Any rough, 2 bench woodie with a PTC train: Front... leaning forwards, this works wonders on Mean Streak.

Any wood coaster (PTC or Intamin) with 3 bench trains: Last car, Middle Row

Exceptions are Thunderhawk at Dorney which is best in row 2 of car 1 and the SFNE Thunderbolt and Knoebels Phoenix where none of this applies because they're constantly running flawlessly in every single seat on the train. The back car, middle seat rule works best on El Toro, Wild One at SFA and Blue Streak at Cedar Point as the last 2 can be slightly rough in wheel seats

Any Intamin Rocket Coaster: Front

As for individual coasters, the ones that really come to mind where there's a big difference are...

Kumba - Back row, far right seat

I can't stress this enough.

The Beast at night - front seat

Steel Force - front seat

This ride is a complete snooze fest everywhere else. Seriously.

Kingda Ka - Front seat

Montu - Back seat

Mean Streak - Front seat leaning forward

Apollo's Chariot - Back seat

Thunderhead - Front seat

Superman Ride of Bizarro the Ride or Whatever - Front seat

Magnum Xl 200 - Car 1, Seat 3

Millennium Force - Front seat

and okay fine...

Poinsettia Peak - Back Seat

... I'm a nerd

I think "back seat" is the default answer.

giggity

I love the view from the front of inverts and flyers, but I've found the back seat to be much more intense in general despite the terrible view.

* I love the back on B&M inverts. I want as much oomph and snappiness as I can get on them, and the backseats usually deliver. Despite the limited view, there's something that I oddly enjoy about looking at the backside of the older B&M invert trains...the seats, wheel caps, and vertical seat support columns always looked sharp to me, & I enjoy seeing the snaking contour of the train in front of me.

* There are some coasters like Phantom's Revenge, Millennium Force, and the B&M hypers, where there's so much more wind and sensation of speed sitting in the front as compared to any other row. When that's the case, I usually prefer the front. Of course, I love a good backseat yank (hey, who doesn't love a good backseat yank?). Usually I just read the line or choose what I'm in the mood for at that moment.

* With woodies and clunky steel coasters that have questionable smoothness, I'll usually head toward the front of the train to get a feel for how a coaster is running before trying out the back.

On my trip to Amsterdam and Paris back in September, I got to ride Goliath in Walibi Holland,

back row, for the first time. And a first time ever for me as I rarely, if ever, take a back row seat

on any coaster, steel or wood.

That said - WOW! - I loved it! I was shocked at the strong pull over most hills

and all of it! Very impressed, as to consider other back rows on other steel coasters in the future.

IMG_8487.JPG.0d901e9dae74cd434316011d995c9e21.JPG

Taken on Saturday, Sept.12, 2015.

I'm a backseat rider for sure. A majority of coasters I find the best in the back seat as they do tend to have more airtime. Also when it comes to Arrow loopers, I've always found them smoother in the last car. However I do prefer front row on certain rides. Alpengeist is a great example as the last row makes the ride feel mediocre, yet the front feels much faster and a bit more forceful.

I only do front seat because a lot of experiences with the back seat ended up being very rough, sometimes even painful (Skyrush, Dominator, Volcano, etc. all rattle like crazy). Besides, who wants to see a bunch of screaming/crying people in front of you with no view when you can see everything up front? I do see the benefits of a back seat ride, however. Riding Skyrush in the back proved that for me!

I always hold out for the back seat. The feeling of being pulled off the chains on a lift hill or over the crest of a hill is amazing. However, I will say, front row of coasters as a last ride of the night is a perfect way to punctuate of marathoning coasters. There is something special about riding a roller coaster at night in the front row. I can't describe it.

There are front seat coasters and back seat coasters, I do not stick to only one option! There's different elements that you wouldn't fully experience if you only rode a coaster in one seat (ex. the double up's on NTG and IRat, most first drops), so I always try to ride all around the train. Here are some preferences I have found in my coaster riding experiences lately (Or at least how I remember them!). There's some coasters where I couldn't quite decide where i liked it more (Intimidator 305, Bizarro, Boulder Dash)

Front Seat Coasters:

-All B&M Inverts (Especially Alpengesit, Chinese Fireball, Montu)

-Phoenix (Specifically, row 3)

-Magnum XL-200, Desperado (Row 3 as well)

-Goliath (SFOG)

-Iron Rattler

-Outlaw Run

-Goliath (SFGAm)

-A lot of launch coasters (Xcelerator, TTD, KK, Storm Runner)

-Maverick

-Thunderhead

-Most B&M Floorless/Sitdown

-Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit

Back Seat Coasters:

-Skyrush (Although great anywhere)

-Most B&M Hypers except Goliath (Raging Bull, Nitro in particular)

-El Toro

-B&M Dive Coasters

-Twisted Colossus

-Coaster (Playland)

-Gold Striker

-New Texas Giant

-Tremors

Edited by chickenbowl

I tend to prefer the front row these days, but that may be due to how rarely I used to wait for front row in the past. I got so used to automatically shuffling towards the back row for every ride for years that riding in the front feels like a brand new experience on many of my favorite rides. I actually very much prefer the front row of Apollo's Chariot over the back row, I still feel great floater airtime regardless. On a great coaster, every seat is arguably good, but there are a few where I always prefer back seat: El Toro (second to last row, left seat ), Skyrush, I305, and of course Skull Mountain