TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

^Although I didn't get sick on Transformers, I remember feeling quite ill the first time I rode Forbidden Journey (no problem with Grongott's, though). Simulators can really screw with your system.

When Star Tours 3D was announced I was worried I would get nauseous but surprisingly enough the 2D actually gave me more motion sickness than the 3D. Not going to lie though, I was a little worried riding Transformers @ USH for the 1st time but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't make me sick at all.

I have never been one to get sick from the 3D rides or anything like that, however I would love to see Universal get back to physical sets/props/rides/etc rather then relying so heavily on the screens.

They are amazing at what they do, there is no question about that, but I think the ability to actually be immersed in real life physical representation of a world rather than a video screen is more appealing to the masses.

That being said, I am intrigued to see what they do differently with the USO version of F&F and I am also curious to see what is done to the area of the park. Would something like Richter's Burger Co have to be revamped as well?

^ I would approve of that makeover!

And I agree with some of the other comments made...the attractions that they are taking out weren't anything to write home about. Despite the fact that I am not into the Fast & Furious series, a lot of people are, so I am sure that it will market better than the current offerings. Although I would also rather see more themed rides or coasters versus the 3 & 4D offerings.

I have never been one to get sick from the 3D rides or anything like that, however I would love to see Universal get back to physical sets/props/rides/etc rather then relying so heavily on the screens.

They are amazing at what they do, there is no question about that, but I think the ability to actually be immersed in real life physical representation of a world rather than a video screen is more appealing to the masses.

That being said, I am intrigued to see what they do differently with the USO version of F&F and I am also curious to see what is done to the area of the park. Would something like Richter's Burger Co have to be revamped as well?

Took the words right out of my mouth, I completely agree! I don't mind a good mix of props and screens, but something like Gringotts where you're in an elaborate coaster-type vehicle, only to sit still in front of various screens the whole time is a bit disappointing.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/halloween-horror-nights-25/

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON AND OTHER FAN-FAVORITES RETURN FOR THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS 25

My favorite time of year is almost here… Halloween Horror Nights! I’m getting super excited with it being our 25th event. I know our Entertainment team has some great things in store for us all. Like, I literally know. And it is amazing.

So far, we’ve revealed four of the terrifying houses that will be taking up residence this year. When it came to the question of who would like to help reveal the remaining five houses, scare zones and shows, I quickly volunteered. I almost fell out of my chair from excitement when I learned one of my favorite houses from 2013 was coming back…

10646-AAWIL-1440x900-1440x900.thumb.jpg.1428743545b166cb4e88b8e5250464f5.jpg

One of the fan-favorites from years past is making a triumphant return—the retelling of the classic 1981 John Landis horror film, An American Werewolf in London. You’ll find yourself back on the English moors as you fend off attacks and witness the bone-crunching transformations. The best part? The wolf pack has expanded, and they’re going to be even more ferocious with a whole new look.

Following that exciting reveal, I moved on to learn about the original content coming this year. And being an uber-fan myself, I can definitely say our Entertainment team has gone above and beyond for the 25th event. Here’s the line-up for the original content houses and scare zones:

25-years-blog.thumb.jpg.f8b0d76f9335e17d531380316d4ddaea.jpg

Jack is back and he invites you to join him for the ultimate reunion in horror. Universal classic monsters will attack from the shadows, meat-grinding maniacs will rip every scream from your throat, and ghosts of Horror Nights past will stalk you around every corner. You’ll find yourself dying to get in and relive your most haunting memories of the past 25 years of Halloween Horror Nights.

Run-blog.thumb.jpg.173da3cb936e3bc935cf5eb020d015f9.jpgCongratulations! You’ve been selected to be one of the lucky contestants on RUN, the most popular and brutal television show in the world. In this house, you’ll have to try and avoid the skilled assassins known as Reapers as you work through “death obstacles” designed to mangle and shred—all for the amusement of the audience watching from home. And good news: the now run-down Hellgate Prison has been selected as the battleground. Good luck!

Asylum-in-Wonderland-blog.thumb.jpg.db1902c1c291a61b2f6c5f68bd91ec04.jpg

A new volume of Scary Tales has been released by Ultra Violent Comics: “Asylum in Wonderland”. This time around, you’ll follow the white rabbit through the looking glass and into a murderous 3-D Wonderland. All of the beloved characters will come to life in this chaotic world with an insane, nightmarish twist. You’ll be left asking one question: Is it all really in Alice’s mind? Or are the images you see real enough to kill you?

Body-Collectors-blog.thumb.jpg.e579ae766927055df0c355ee16bb7e22.jpg

They have returned. The Body Collectors are on the hunt for the human parts they so desperately need. Emerging from the darkness on a cold, winter night, they descended upon the unknowing inhabitants of Shadybrook Asylum. Get ready to face their sharpened blades as the screams of their recent victims echo throughout the halls.

Scare Zones

Psychoscareapy: Unleashed — The criminally insane inmates of Shadybrooke Asylum have escaped and unleashed their horror onto a Halloween block party in the streets of New York. Come join the party goers as the inmates kill for the best Halloween costumes for their very own special costume contest where you will be the judge. Oh, and this will be one of the bloodiest scare zones ever!

ICONS: HHN — And now for the scare zone I’m looking forward to the most! It’s time to take a look back in history and come face-to-face with the icons from our past. Iconic characters from the event’s 25 year history such as The Caretaker, The Storyteller, The Director and more will be found roaming the streets of Hollywood. I’ve even heard The Rat Lady will be making her grand return!

Scary Tales: ScreamPunk — This year, we’re bringing to life our most horrifying Scary Tales characters with a new twist. This steampunk-inspired version of Scary Tales is sure to leave you screaming.

Evil’s Roots — It’s time to be immersed in Halloween’s most evil traditions in the scare zone located in Central Park. Here you’ll find the event’s traditional jack-o-lanterns in the air as you encounter evil fairies, humanoid bats, scarecrows and more. Think “Grown Evil” from 2011 but on a whole ‘nother level!

All Nite Die-In: Double Feature — Last but certainly not least is a double feature of horror at The Carey DrIvE IN movie theatre. Wander down the streets of San Francisco and you’ll come across this theatre that has been named “DIE IN”, due to the gruesome murders that occurred. Enter if you dare…

And, of course, we’ll have two live shows this year…

The Carnage Returns — Jack the Clown is taking Halloween Horror Nights back in a blaze of murderous mayhem with his army of feared followers and his companion in carnage, Chance. Remember, Jack always has the last laugh.

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure — Of course, they’re back in an all-new Halloween adventure. I could never describe the hilarious insanity of that show. It has to be seen to be believed. Party on, dudes!

So, one question for everyone: Who’s ready for September 18 to get here? I wish I could hit a fast forward button or something… Till then, that’s the full line-up for this year’s Halloween Horror Nights houses, scare zones and shows. I’ll see you out there!

As a 25th anniversary season I love the list. I think there's a good amount of new ideas mixed with old ideas that hardcore fans of HHN will love.

I am super stoked to experience American Werewolf again as that house was simply amazing and to see new additions coming to it gets me that much more excited.

I am thinking the Jack show would be at the Beetlejuice theater which makes perfect sense and that should be an amazing show for sure.

Maybe it's just me but this years event seems pretty uninspring, just a lot of the same stuff I've already seen from previous years. It's been a few years since I attended HHN but I'm not really in a big hurry to go back.

It's not just you.

I don't think there will ever be a year where 100% of the people are happy though. Will I like every haunt there this year? Probably not. Does that mean it'll be a bad event? Of course not as it hasn't even begun.

I think they had to do a lot of the throw backs to previous years this year as that's what the hardcore fans are craving. More icons, more sequels to original ideas, etc.

Guess we'll all find out for sure soon enough.

I will say however, I would love to see Universal start making a big deal about the announcements. I know this year was plagued with some issues regarding Scream which threw off their announcements and everything but something like what Knotts did yesterday would be awesome for the HHN fans out there.

I don't think there will ever be a year where 100% of the people are happy though. Will I like every haunt there this year? Probably not. Does that mean it'll be a bad event? Of course not as it hasn't even begun.

I think they had to do a lot of the throw backs to previous years this year as that's what the hardcore fans are craving. More icons, more sequels to original ideas, etc.

I will say however, I would love to see Universal start making a big deal about the announcements. I know this year was plagued with some issues regarding Scream which threw off their announcements and everything but something like what Knotts did yesterday would be awesome for the HHN fans out there.

I'm not saying the event won't be good or that I don't like the houses, and I realize that you can't please absolutley eveyone every year, it just seems like after 25 years of doing the event the past 5 or 6 years have felt exactly the same. Now I'll admit I haven't been every year in that period but it doesn't feel like I've missed much.

I don't know how to describe it, but the event just isn't as interesting as it used to be to me for some reason. Part of it might be the perception that I think (know) it will be crowded and expensive, and the crowd isn't always the most pleasant to be around for long waits. Maybe it's because I think (know) all of the scares and effects will be the same ole gag where an actor will trigger an effect and jump out, and the houses will probably be packed and slow moving and all of the effects will be ruined before I get to them. And the Bill and Ted show will probably be not as good as it used to be.

I mean I'm sure it will look incredible, and be just as good as it's been in the past, but I'm just not as interested anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old .

Hummm . . . it seems Hollywood got combined with Orlando when??? 5-6 years ago? Before that I LOVED HHN. . . now I have a strong liking of it. I kinda figured for an anniversary year, we were gonna see some things rehashed. I'm digging the meshing of past themed and houses. Compared to Hollywoods returning of 3 houses and one dance show, Orlando blows it outta the water lol!

I'm not saying the event won't be good or that I don't like the houses, and I realize that you can't please absolutley eveyone every year, it just seems like after 25 years of doing the event the past 5 or 6 years have felt exactly the same. Now I'll admit I haven't been every year in that period but it doesn't feel like I've missed much.

I don't know how to describe it, but the event just isn't as interesting as it used to be to me for some reason. Part of it might be the perception that I think (know) it will be crowded and expensive, and the crowd isn't always the most pleasant to be around for long waits. Maybe it's because I think (know) all of the scares and effects will be the same ole gag where an actor will trigger an effect and jump out, and the houses will probably be packed and slow moving and all of the effects will be ruined before I get to them. And the Bill and Ted show will probably be not as good as it used to be.

I mean I'm sure it will look incredible, and be just as good as it's been in the past, but I'm just not as interested anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old .

While I have never been to this particular event, I hear what you mean about haunts in general.

When we go to Halloweekends at Cedar Point, we usually skip the haunts altogether unless we hit it on a Friday night and there are really short lines. Once you've been through them once, they really don't change all that much over the years.

I'd rather have a few cocktails (or beers) and just wander around the park and soak in the atmosphere, people watch, check out the shows and get in some coasters & rides if the lines aren't too long - which is usually the case on Friday nights.

Love the chilly night rides on Magnum, MF, Maverick, Raptor, MaxAir, Gatekeeper, WT, TTD...and yes, even Mean Streak ain't too bad. We can usually get in one ride each without too much wait time on a cool Friday evening from 6-midnight.

I'm all about HHN. Getting scared is a bonus, but for me the biggest thing is that it's like having a brand new attraction at the park every year. It's the only halloween event that basically changes everything out from one year to the next.

Last year the Baby powder room in Dollhouse, The entire Halloween and AVP houses, the updated Bill and Ted show, the Purge auction...all of those things and entertainment and sets are cool as hell for me. It's content directly for my age group, unlike some parks in Orlando getting a new standard flat ride or a short boat ride themed to Ice princesses. And it comes again EVERY year, back with 3 or 4 or 5 cool and pretty immersive experiences.

The cost and crowds of the event are a LARGE detractor from the experience, and the scareactor "noise buttons" get pretty old. I get people getting tired of the event for those things and honestly I don't think HHN is a 1 night thing without expensive express or VIP because you can't do it all. But getting the pass and casually enjoying each original entertainment portion of the event is much worth it for me as a local. Halloween is my favorite season. Even not-so-scary with basically the exact same thing each year is worth it for the costumes and candy and ghouls and villains and great parade.

I do agree, a lot of the reason I love HHN, and many other haunts, is the sets and creativity that's shown. With HHN it can sometimes be so amazingly done that you forget there's a giant conga line of people behind or in front of you. I am a horror movie nut and a fan of everything Halloween, so I am really the pure target audience for something like HHN.

I am not saying I don't understand why people wouldn't like the event. It's expensive, crowded and I do agree, the "noise buttons" do tend to lead to a lot less scares, but getting together with a group of friends and having a fun night at the park seems to always be the case when it comes to HHN. This will be my third event that I've been to and going forward, regardless of the lineup, I do not intend to miss a single year.

Universal Orlando is expanding their resort even more!

CBBR-blog-1170x731.thumb.jpg.debe497d9cf7d329e4c440a8eaa3ec0e.jpg

UNIVERSAL’S CABANA BAY BEACH RESORT ANNOUNCES GUEST ROOM EXPANSION

400 new rooms coming to Universal Orlando’s incredibly popular retro-themed hotel in 2017

ORLANDO, Fla. (Aug. 31, 2015) – Universal Orlando Resort and Loews Hotels & Resorts are excited to announce an expansion of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Four-hundred new rooms will be added to the retro-themed hotel due to its tremendous success and positive guest response since opening in March 2014.

Opening in 2017, the expansion will consist of two additional towers that will be located at the south end of the property, adjacent to the Continental and Americana guest towers.

In addition to the remarkable amenities and on-site benefits, select rooms in the new towers will offer spectacular views of Universal’s Volcano Bay – the resort’s third incredibly immersive park that will forever change the perception of water theme parks when it opens in 2017.

The retro-inspired Cabana Bay is a destination within itself – featuring a stunning design with bold colors and sweeping vistas that transport guests back to a time of relaxation and endless family fun. Cabana Bay guests can experience remarkable amenities, including two zero-entry pools, a waterslide, a lazy river, a 10-lane bowling alley and more. With 900 existing standard guest rooms and 900 existing family suites, guests can choose between two incredible room options. The family suite is a unique room option that sleeps up to six people and includes two queen size beds, a full-size pull-out sofa, a kitchenette area, a sliding partition for privacy, two flat-screen TVs and a compartmentalized bathroom with preparation spaces for three people at once.

Cabana Bay guests also get exclusive benefits only available to on-site hotel guests at Universal Orlando, including Early Park Admission one hour before the theme parks open and complimentary transportation to and from Universal Orlando’s two incredible theme parks and Universal CityWalk.

Edited by robbalvey

I, too, am hoping that the new attractions they are building are not all 3D glasses simulator rides. They don't make me sick, but I do get kind of bored with having to get 3-D glasses to ride so many of the attractions. With Hulk closing until next summer and additions that really don't interest me very much for 2016, we've decided to take a year off from our Universal / IOA passes. We'll most likely get them again late next year.

As far as HHN goes - they always do a wonderful job with make-up and sets, but for some reason - I find Howl-O-Scream at BGT to be MUCH more entertaining. It just seems like the people working the event there are having such a good time. We still might spring for tickets for HHN this year - but I'm still not completely sold on it.

As far as HHN goes - they always do a wonderful job with make-up and sets, but for some reason - I find Howl-O-Scream at BGT to be MUCH more entertaining. It just seems like the people working the event there are having such a good time. We still might spring for tickets for HHN this year - but I'm still not completely sold on it.

Same, and Howl-O-Scream has walk on night rides on Kumba, well worth the price of admission alone! But yeah the actors at HOS do seem to get into the act a lot more and make it more entertaining even if the hoses aren't on the same level of detail and themeing. Seems like the HHN vs HOS comparison comes up every year, and while they're honestly very different events, I really do prefer HOS.

I, too, am hoping that the new attractions they are building are not all 3D glasses simulator rides. They don't make me sick, but I do get kind of bored with having to get 3-D glasses to ride so many of the attractions. With Hulk closing until next summer and additions that really don't interest me very much for 2016, we've decided to take a year off from our Universal / IOA passes. We'll most likely get them again late next year.

Completely true - the whole "ride the movies" theme was great when they honestly built RIDES... At least the major new attractions are ride/movie hybrids, and not just "sit in a theater" "attractions"...

My biggest delight at Universal Singapore was how FEW movie-based attractions they have - with a pass given for Shrek, and obviously the original-at-the-time Transformers, pretty much the ENTIRE rest of the park is all ACTUAL rides... something they've kept up with the new openings they've had since the park debuted (Madagascar, Sesame Street, Puss n Boots).... very refreshing and unusual these days.

And I think everyone over 30 has similar issues (to some degree or another) with getting motion sick... as an example, I still enjoy Star Tours 3D, but the rest of the adults in my family refuse to ride it at all anymore... getting stuck on a "3D or bust" bandwagon isn't an audience-inclusive tactic.

Just got the most amazing invite in from Universal for HHN 25! Check this out...

image.thumb.jpg.f5d6c38e10e0da18c4913614aa86a69d.jpg

It looks like a nice box... Right?

image.thumb.jpg.94d1ea660d68dd3dfe81b633701579ed.jpg

Hmmm... What could be in here?

image.thumb.jpg.0e469c0b6f5c1caf8608014fd2fb3776.jpg

OMG! A severed arm with a selfie stick! Best thing ever!!!

image.thumb.jpg.2669915c8c25cca3b2f63f61b0e56952.jpg

"I killed this person myself!"

image.thumb.jpg.4bc963e97d1d617237ad7ae3ee0a7ed5.jpg

Here's the USB drive with the invite...

image.thumb.jpg.017a15a407b89ac6eb6e7abecbd38b4f.jpg

Jack is back!!! We'll be live tweeting from HHN on September 18th!

image.thumb.jpg.7a71d50294cc8497bed9b0169eae3850.jpg

The phone actually had images on it!

image.thumb.jpg.e8ec4ac38cd260afff2e50b475873179.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2875897c8c95be32b2a4735a659ec2ee.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.10fc71047703fbe316d78c2622a0c0d4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5742be32cc45a7c7f7c5df0fe9b4507e.jpg

Jack sent me a package!

Edited by robbalvey