TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

On August 19, 2005... A hurricane hit New Orleans and caused major flooding all over the area,causing loss of jobs, deaths, and the abandonment Six Flags New Orleans. Please respect to those who were affected by this disaster and those who did not make it out.

Hurricane Katrina made landfall in New Orleans August 29, 2005.

Aside from that did you really need to create a separate thread to make your statement?

How is this a 10 year anniversary?

it's Feb 25th 2015 now. . so still ~6months away.

Don't quote me....I just corrected thatGuyfrom Tennesee's error on the date. LOL

He had started a new thread "aka: Re: Six Flags New Orleans - 10 Years since Death." so a moderator combined the threads.

In any case, the park needs to be torn down.

LOL. .no worries! I just quoted both of y'all because you were both showing August dates

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park is WAY beyond saving at this point. I know, I had hoped for a while that a company like Herschend or Cedar Fair would jump in and save the park, but it looks like it's not happening at this point. SFNO has basically become the United States' version of Katoli's World, and if you don't know what Katoli's World is, it was an amusement park in Taiwan that was left COMPLETELY abandoned after an earthquake. However, it was torn down somewhere between 2009 and 2013.

I had never heard of Katoli, but just did a youtube search, and found one with title of "Katoli's World" and it has pics.

Sad to see when parks go bye bye I've also seen various pictures of urban explorers venturing into the old SFNO

My question is, all these years later, SFNO is obviously beyond saving, but why is the area heavily watched by police to keep people from trespassing? It would seem that a sign of enter at own liability and risk would cover it, and not needing the area patrolled? Heck, I'd venture to say based on videos, nothing is salvageable and the place is in complete ruin, mostly from the hurricane, but also graffiti, etc. 10 years later.

Yep, I doubt that what used to be Six Flags New Orleans will ever be an amusement park again. I do think that New Orleans could use a new amusement park, and I don't know how much this would help, but they should probably build one farther inland so that it would have a better chance of surviving if New Orleans had another Katrina-like hurricane.

My reaction seeing this thread alive -

Yes, it's the "Walking Dead" of TPR threads.

I just realized that Neville from Harry Potter.

for some reason, I thought that was from Cabin in the Woods.

But but but guys, the save Jazzland people are going to rebuild it, sometime, maybe, in the future, possibly, they're still working on it, at times.

Maybe they can add Big Dipper from Geauga Lake, then they can save both a park and a coaster??

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2015/03/six_flags_new_orleans_movies.html

An upcoming feature film production will conduct a special effects test involving a propane fire Friday night (March 13) at the former Six Flags New Orleans site, the city is advising eastern New Orleans residents. The test is scheduled to take place between 6 and 8 p.m.

The New Orleans Fire Department will be on-site "to ensure public safety and help facilitate the work," according to the city-issued advisory.

In keeping with ongoing practice, the city didn't reveal the name of the production that will be conducting the test, although the Summit Entertainment drama "Deepwater Horizon" -- also known as "The Long Night" -- is set to occupy the Six Flags site for much of its local shoot. Principal photography on that film is expected to begin March 30, with Peter Berg directing and Mark Wahlberg starring.

It's only the latest movie to film at the abandoned theme park, which has been shuttered since 2005's Hurricane Katrina. Others include "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters," "Killer Joe," "Stolen" and the forthcoming "Jurassic World."

Berg's film is also one of a handful of feature-film projects that are shooting or preparing to shoot in-state. Others include the financial drama "The Big Short," starring Brad Pitt, Christian Bale and Steve Carell, and set to start shooting on March 23; the Civil War drama "The Free State of Jones," starring Matthew McConaughey and Gugu Mbatha-Raw; and the psychological thriller "When the Bow Breaks," starring Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall.

Steel structure, Gravity Group, Timberliners, repair... I'm getting a bad feeling.

The plan doesn't seem realistic enough. If the typhoon attacked the park due to it's location, putting money into this park and wait for it getting attacked again is not a good idea. Plus, where are all those horror movie going to shoot if the park reopens? SFNO must be one of the creepiest place in this planet.

My understanding was that it was the levees broke/were inadequate, and that was what caused the 9th ward and SFNO to go underwater? Had it just been for the hurricane, I think the park would have been fine and able to open a week or so later. The levees failing is what did that part of the Louisiana in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've also seen various pictures of urban explorers venturing into the old SFNO

My question is, all these years later, SFNO is obviously beyond saving, but why is the area heavily watched by police to keep people from trespassing? It would seem that a sign of enter at own liability and risk would cover it, and not needing the area patrolled? Heck, I'd venture to say based on videos, nothing is salvageable and the place is in complete ruin, mostly from the hurricane, but also graffiti, etc. 10 years later.

The reason why the area is watched by police is because it's in New Orleans East, which if you didn't know, is the ultimate ghetto...Bloods, Crips, every gang you can name is in New Orleans East. I'm sure the lake in SFNO has become full of dead bodies & alligators, & I've heard that gangs often hang out there at night. It really isn't a safe place to visit.

If Six Flags does open another park in Louisana, it will certainly not be in New Orleans. I could see them buying out Dixie Landin' in Baton Rouge (semi-big city 1 hour north of New Orleans), like they did to Jazzland. That would make it not quite as prone to Hurricanes, but it would still be in the ghetto of Baton Rouge, which is more dangerous than New Orleans.

I honestly could not see a Six Flags park in the south being anywhere else besides Baton Rouge. They obviously learned from SFNO that New Orleans was a bad location, Mobile is not quite big enough to have a Six Flags park, neither is any city in Alabama, even Birmingham couldn't get a SF park due to it being relatively close to SFOG. Mississippi definitely couldn't get a Six Flags park, due to their cities not being big enough & the MS Gulf Coast being hit even worse than New Orleans during Katrina. Six Flags Jacksonville & Six Flags Nashville could be possible, but I honestly don't see any other city in the south being more likely to get a Six Flags park than Baton Rouge. The city is booming (Miss America was just held there), and it is already a "household name" due to LSU & the large number of alcoholics

• 1 month later...

I just looked through some photos of SFNO that were titled 10 years after Katrina. Its really sad that the majority of the damage and decay in the park is from looters and vandals rather than from the Hurricane and corresponding flood itself. I think that had the vandalism not occurred there would have been a better chance of the park reopening with a different owner. Essentially, people sealed its doom and not the storm.

^ woah woah hold up. That is 100% unfair and untrue. The bullshit that goes on in the French Quarter is all the tourists. The locals avoid that place like the plague and only put up with that crap because of the tourism revenue. In fact, a lot of the people working the FQ are not from NOLA and moved there to be "part of it." Also, MANY of the vandals and looters to SFNO have come from out of town to go "urban exploring." Then they put it up on YouTube etc.

Yes, a lot of looting that happened early on was to salvage scrap to sell, and I'm not saying that was right, but considering the situation those people were in, I'm less inclined to jump down their throats. Unless you went to NOLA within one year of Katrina, and unless you left the French Quarter to see the damage and death yourself, no pictures or news article can capture the war-zone level scope of destruction. And the US did essentially nothing to help them. When your house is sitting under 20 ft of toxic water (and yes, the flood waters were toxic in addition to being horrible on their own) and half or more of the people you know are dead, probably floating down the street, and you were trapped there in the first place because the government gave an evacuation order too late and failed to aid people leaving, and you're starving to death, suddenly it becomes a different picture.

^ Well damn, that got real dark real fast. I was simply basing my opinion off of what I saw when I visited New Orleans in 2012. I was a production manager for a theatrical tour based out of Metaire and we were in NOLA for at least 5 days a month. I wasn't a fan of the town at all and I only visited the French Quarter once. I've been all over that city and never felt like it was a place I'd want to return to. Different strokes for different folks.

^ Yeah, my thoughts on New Orleans kind of echo what Kyle said and that has nothing to do with Katrina. While I had fun on several visits I've made there, I've really only gone back when other people have wanted to go. And most of the time it wasn't during any festival or anything to do with the French Quarter either. It's just not my kind of place, and that's ok. No need to bring the horrors of Katrina into this because that's not what Kyle was talking about in the first place.

Fair enough, I was just saying that the people who looted MAY have been douchebags, but it's hard to look at the looting without considering the circumstances.

Sorry to be a downer. In any event, the people who never got to visit SFNO weren't missing much. A BTR clone was their good coaster. Then they had a boomerang, a wild mouse, and one of the roughest wooden coasters I've ever been on (that made mean streak feel smooth). I loved the "Jester" coaster, but to be fair, it was a vekoma Arrow rip off that felt like an Arrow, plus it rode backwards so you had to guess where the slams would come.

Still a huge shame everything that happened and how the park is now, but I wouldn't get too bummed that you "missed something great," because I'm not sure that'd be true. Still, I understand the mentality of "but I would have liked to judge for myself," so theres that.

• 2 months later...
^ Yeah, my thoughts on New Orleans kind of echo what Kyle said and that has nothing to do with Katrina. While I had fun on several visits I've made there, I've really only gone back when other people have wanted to go. And most of the time it wasn't during any festival or anything to do with the French Quarter either. It's just not my kind of place, and that's ok. No need to bring the horrors of Katrina into this because that's not what Kyle was talking about in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, had it not been for the flooding destroying the park, do you think SF would have sold/closed the park by now?