SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: SFNO/Southern Star Saga Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:35 am

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2015/03/six_flags_new_orleans_movies.html

An upcoming feature film production will conduct a special effects test involving a propane fire Friday night (March 13) at the former Six Flags New Orleans site, the city is advising eastern New Orleans residents. The test is scheduled to take place between 6 and 8 p.m.

The New Orleans Fire Department will be on-site "to ensure public safety and help facilitate the work," according to the city-issued advisory.

In keeping with ongoing practice, the city didn't reveal the name of the production that will be conducting the test, although the Summit Entertainment drama "Deepwater Horizon" -- also known as "The Long Night" -- is set to occupy the Six Flags site for much of its local shoot. Principal photography on that film is expected to begin March 30, with Peter Berg directing and Mark Wahlberg starring.

It's only the latest movie to film at the abandoned theme park, which has been shuttered since 2005's Hurricane Katrina. Others include "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters," "Killer Joe," "Stolen" and the forthcoming "Jurassic World."

Berg's film is also one of a handful of feature-film projects that are shooting or preparing to shoot in-state. Others include the financial drama "The Big Short," starring Brad Pitt, Christian Bale and Steve Carell, and set to start shooting on March 23; the Civil War drama "The Free State of Jones," starring Matthew McConaughey and Gugu Mbatha-Raw; and the psychological thriller "When the Bow Breaks," starring Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Seems like movie backlot has become the best use for the property!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby IdahoKat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:47 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:Steel structure, Gravity Group, Timberliners, repair... I'm getting a bad feeling.

The plan doesn't seem realistic enough. If the typhoon attacked the park due to it's location, putting money into this park and wait for it getting attacked again is not a good idea. Plus, where are all those horror movie going to shoot if the park reopens? SFNO must be one of the creepiest place in this planet.

My understanding was that it was the levees broke/were inadequate, and that was what caused the 9th ward and SFNO to go underwater? Had it just been for the hurricane, I think the park would have been fine and able to open a week or so later. The levees failing is what did that part of the Louisiana in.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:50 pm

It would be nice to see this park come back, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime in the near future. I never got a chance to visit. :cry:
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 pm

SFNO? More like SBNO! :'(
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun May 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Gnome wrote:SFNO? More like SBNO! :'(

:nina:
Bigger is not always better.

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:19 am

Universal used this lot for Jurassic World. They basically built a whole midway, stadium, and a couple other things here for it.
Wood-29
Steel- 74
Total- 103

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Say Your Goodbyes to Six Flags New Orleans.

Postby YOLO » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:02 pm

IdahoKat wrote:I've also seen various pictures of urban explorers venturing into the old SFNO
My question is, all these years later, SFNO is obviously beyond saving, but why is the area heavily watched by police to keep people from trespassing? It would seem that a sign of enter at own liability and risk would cover it, and not needing the area patrolled? Heck, I'd venture to say based on videos, nothing is salvageable and the place is in complete ruin, mostly from the hurricane, but also graffiti, etc. 10 years later.

The reason why the area is watched by police is because it's in New Orleans East, which if you didn't know, is the ultimate ghetto...Bloods, Crips, every gang you can name is in New Orleans East. I'm sure the lake in SFNO has become full of dead bodies & alligators, & I've heard that gangs often hang out there at night. It really isn't a safe place to visit.

If Six Flags does open another park in Louisana, it will certainly not be in New Orleans. I could see them buying out Dixie Landin' in Baton Rouge (semi-big city 1 hour north of New Orleans), like they did to Jazzland. That would make it not quite as prone to Hurricanes, but it would still be in the ghetto of Baton Rouge, which is more dangerous than New Orleans.

I honestly could not see a Six Flags park in the south being anywhere else besides Baton Rouge. They obviously learned from SFNO that New Orleans was a bad location, Mobile is not quite big enough to have a Six Flags park, neither is any city in Alabama, even Birmingham couldn't get a SF park due to it being relatively close to SFOG. Mississippi definitely couldn't get a Six Flags park, due to their cities not being big enough & the MS Gulf Coast being hit even worse than New Orleans during Katrina. Six Flags Jacksonville & Six Flags Nashville could be possible, but I honestly don't see any other city in the south being more likely to get a Six Flags park than Baton Rouge. The city is booming (Miss America was just held there), and it is already a "household name" due to LSU & the large number of alcoholics :lol:
1. Incredible Hulk, 2. Kraken, 3. Wild Eagle, 4. Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit, 5. Manta

Favorite Park: SeaWorld Orlando

Inversions > Airtime :)

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Say Your Goodbyes to Six Flags New Orleans.

Postby snapfordakids » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:41 pm

This link appeared on my fb

www.esquire.com/news-politics/g2316/abandoned-six-flags-photos/?src=arb_fb_d&mag=esq&dom=fb
Nice photos I had never seen before, sans the alligator photo.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I just looked through some photos of SFNO that were titled 10 years after Katrina. Its really sad that the majority of the damage and decay in the park is from looters and vandals rather than from the Hurricane and corresponding flood itself. I think that had the vandalism not occurred there would have been a better chance of the park reopening with a different owner. Essentially, people sealed its doom and not the storm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!