TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Lots of work done on Wicked Cyclone! No more original track remains, the north end was also cut down.

The roof over the brake run has been completed as well.

Here is the start to the stall, probably will see it completed in a few weeks.

Crazy that you can see Flashback from here. Although I would rather not see it.

Pictures were taken by SFNEonline

By the way, I have done some thinking recently, and I have come to the conclusion that they shouldn't scrap Flashback. I looked at the Cobra at Powerpark and I must say, it looks like a very good coaster. If they added magnetic breaks, an electric lift(similar to that of Boomerang at Six Flags St. Louis, MK 1212 trains, and a new paint job it would be a decent ride. However, the one problem I ran into was the cost of the trains. I'm not sure how expensive they are and if it would be worth it to the park to spend that kind of money refurbishing an old coaster. Any thoughts? Also, if they replace Flashback, what do you think will go in its place: a Superman Ultimate Flight clone, or a Yamaha Racing Coaster clone?

By the way, I have done some thinking recently, and I have come to the conclusion that they shouldn't scrap Flashback. I looked at the Cobra at Powerpark and I must say, it looks like a very good coaster. If they added magnetic breaks, an electric lift(similar to that of Boomerang at Six Flags St. Louis, MK 1212 trains, and a new paint job it would be a decent ride. However, the one problem I ran into was the cost of the trains. I'm not sure how expensive they are and if it would be worth it to the park to spend that kind of money refurbishing an old coaster. Any thoughts? Also, if they replace Flashback, what do you think will go in its place: a Superman Ultimate Flight clone, or a Yamaha Racing Coaster clone?

As great as it would be for them to refurbish Flashback, I think it's too late. By now a large majority of guests do not even ride Flashback. With the exception of Saturdays and Fright Fest, there is almost never a line more than 10 minutes for that ride. Perhaps if they wanted to send the coaster to another Six Flags park, then the refurbishment could help it get off to a good start at that new park.

Just a quick coaster geek question, how does the steering system on the RMC, Gravity Group, and GCI trains work? I know very roughly how it works, but could someone explain it in a little more detail?

What do you mean by "steering system"? I have never heard of this.

Think he means how some of them have independent wheel bogies, much like some steel coasters trains.

I know GCI's Millennium Flyer trains are fixed axle bogies, like what PTCs are, but the RMC bogie setup is different. To me, they look similar to Millennium Flyers, but I do know the guide wheel system is completely different. From the pictures I've seen of Outlaw Run's cars and of other RMC cars, it looks like the bogies are fixed, meaning the road wheels on the car cannot move with the track, but the guide wheels do have some movement so that probably helps with the side-to-side shuffling. Also being trailered cars help steering out tremendously. It's why PTC cars "shuffle" along the track instead of turning with the track as they have 2 axles per car. PTC has somewhat corrected that issue with their articulating axles, but it's a fairly limited movement so they still can shuffle around tighter turns.

Timberliners though are on a whole different level, where each bogie is able to independently steer each other. I've posted this image before, but I'll post it again.

Example of a PTC car on the left and the Timberliners (and to an extent, RMC trains) on the right. As you can see, it's how those trains are able to take such tight turns on their coasters. I don't think RMC trains are able to take as tight of turns as Timberliners, but the guide wheel flexibility is what gives it the ability to make those inversions so well.

^ He explained TGG, GCI, and PTC pretty well.

The RMC trains have a completely different wheel assembly than anything in the industry.

First off, let me start of by saying that each wheel assembly operates independently. They're not connected together like TGG or GCI trains and they move freely unlike the PTC or GCI trains, where the wheel assembly is in a fixed position. If you look closely you can see a shock connected to the wheel assembly. Each will assembly has one connected vertically and laterally (like the one shown in the picture). This is what makes them different from all the other trains, as the shocks keep the wheels in contact with the track at all times. This keeps the trains from bouncing around the track, which all other wooden coaster trains do. Yes, even Timberliners still bounce. They bounce, then the bogey system starts to turn. If TGG would come up with their own track design that would allow for turns that were manufactured with precision, unlike the traditional way of just eyeballing it, then it would eliminate the bouncing. RMC's style coupled with the pre-fabricated track that is cut with almost precise precision, allows them to have rides that are butter smooth and stay smooth for a long time.

By the way, I have done some thinking recently, and I have come to the conclusion that they shouldn't scrap Flashback.

Sadly with Goliath's new train, Flashback is the better of the 2 rides by far. I'm not saying that should dictate if it should stay or not as right now Goliath is much more popular but I rarely see Flashback without a line so plenty of people seem to like it.

Ah, ok, that explains a few things then. So the RMC trains don't really have the need to "steer" then with the way their track is designed. The single guide wheels helps with that. Timberliners are the only wooden coaster train that has 2 guide wheels, allowing the bogie to turn with the track like what may of the similar steel coaster bogies do.

RMC's solution has basically fixed the issue of the wooden track being able to change with the weather as well. With the guide wheel being able to move laterally, does allow room for contraction and expansion, but still making the wheels stay in contact with the track. And yes, their track moves, even the I-Box track as it's still attached to wooden supports. Their solution certainly is unique, but that goes in line too that they're the only ones using boxed steel as their track instead of tubing. They just took the traditional wooden track design that's been in use for nearly 100 years and just made it 100% steel.

Outlaw Run's wheels are still the only wheels that use 2 different alloys for them. You can see it in the picture there. They're probably still expensive wheels considering that RMC is only having them made for 1 coaster right now, although I have a feeling there's going to be others in the future. Not all future Toppler Track coasters will be having poly wheels like Goliath.

Edited by Lareson

By the way, I have done some thinking recently, and I have come to the conclusion that they shouldn't scrap Flashback.

Sadly with Goliath's new train, Flashback is the better of the 2 rides by far. I'm not saying that should dictate if it should stay or not as right now Goliath is much more popular but I rarely see Flashback without a line so plenty of people seem to like it.

I rode Goliath and the new train for the first time back in September and while it was slightly slower than the previous train, I found the ride just as smooth and enjoyable.

Do we have someone who would be interested in doing a construction tour Monday at noon? If you are available please send an email to robbalvey@themeparkreview.com with the following info:

Full name

TPR Screen Name

Link to any social media pages you have

Link to any photo trip reports you've done.

We want to make sure we have someone that could take good photos and represent TPR well.

Thank you!

I wish it were next Monday and not this one, I have a meeting I have to go to Monday morning. I live an hour and a half from the park , if for some reason it can be next Monday I would love to go and take some photos. I do only have an iphone camera but I usually get good shots with it.

image.jpg.7f5e5c96dbaaf9a27d49399b6936d6f9.jpg

Photo example

So I had the awesome opportunity to represent TPR this afternoon at the hard hat tour. This is my first time doing something like this so It was really exciting for me. I got TONS of photos, so I'm just going to sort of throw the best of them up on here. Wicked Cyclone is definitely starting to look pretty "wicked" to say the least. The photo's speak for themselves...

P1000602.thumb.JPG.de8bc744413a8871b237557de00ae6b7.JPG

Hyperventilating...

P1000604.thumb.JPG.d31b33f1109c2f78debd43959247ada9.JPG

absurdly steep first drop

P1000606.thumb.JPG.75ff3a08f77bbf0e99af879af2594c32.JPG

Some nice heartline. In case people needed confirmation..

P1000609.thumb.JPG.1b1e344f9d2a0249af78ffeaf4e8414d.JPG

I very much approve of this shaping

P1000611.thumb.JPG.f6905a771923759ef77abe536ba1ed6e.JPG

another nice angle on the overbank

P1000612.thumb.JPG.a452892e61bed3118d279a6aafa35a2c.JPG

It was a little bit wet today...

P1000622.thumb.JPG.fa102b8b84c6caef4856421beb08179a.JPG

Though the weather suits the ride well!

P1000625.thumb.JPG.dffc5fb64cb6abc60418c4f3f29a4505.JPG

Very ominous..

P1000614.thumb.JPG.308edb563c132dac0d0bb420ec817330.JPG

Finishing the stall is next on their to-do list! It's just starting to take form..

P1000648.thumb.JPG.fcd2903c3237d0242005e720e80b7d46.JPG

..and it already looks INSANE!

P1000656.thumb.JPG.63e9929eb9d624b1175a8deb1ab87b11.JPG

The little wavy speed hill looks nice too

P1000641.thumb.JPG.838a93f68cbe6dd0126c5fce88067383.JPG

Another angle because why not... did I mention this is only one of 14 airtime moments total!!

P1000662.thumb.JPG.d4bf2c3b4c91fdb49f736c31545d3a61.JPG

We managed to get a bit of blue sky later on in the tour.

P1000634.thumb.JPG.07336697c68d13e8158ae132659e5b2a.JPG

the lift still lacking its necessary lifting components..

P1000665.thumb.JPG.31c328f337e89099bcd999b1575bf1a7.JPG

Can't wait to see where these twisty pieces end up!

P1000664.thumb.JPG.fee51c2803998bcc793202d50f1ffa22.JPG

The track color REALLY pops. The pictures dont do it justice.

P1000643.thumb.JPG.907e527ce68dfb39c64dfceabe4742d7.JPG

dem curves..

IMG_20141124_124520.thumb.jpg.ee563c0de98c09bd3fc074ff4948509f.jpg

I will go ahead and end it with a hard hat selfie of me getting up close and personal with some WC track. I would like to thank the SFNE staff that made this tour possible! We really appreciate your time sacrificed for this amazing opportunity!

Edited by CPmillenia94

Great photos! They are flying on the construction of this! I agree with many of you, I think this might be the best ride of 2015. It's the one I'm most excited for even though I won't be able to ride it.