TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

^From what I've heard Tokyo will NOT get the MDX system. They already have much more advanced technology in Japan that they use for several RFID services. I expect TDR to do some version of it in the future but it will be much different (and probably much better!)

^^Yeah good point, I forgot how awesome and ahead of the curve Japan already is.

I guess with the new Apple pay system you cwill eventually be able to use your phone for the touch to pay and if Disney wanted to I'm sure they could build into the MDX app the ability to use your phone for park admission and FastPass+. As cool as the magic bands are they might not be necessary in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
^From what I've heard Tokyo will NOT get the MDX system. They already have much more advanced technology in Japan that they use for several RFID services. I expect TDR to do some version of it in the future but it will be much different (and probably much better!)

I would love to see what TDR could come up with! They would make the current system look so basic.

The guests of Tokyo Disney are so polite there's really no need for them to have an advanced system. However, I am sure they will come up with something amazing to fit their needs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/11/first-look-themed-hotels-disneytown-announced-for-shanghai-disney-resort/

Earlier this week in China, we shared some exciting updates for Shanghai Disney Resort, including a new birdseye view of the Resort, a first look at two themed hotels and what’s planned for an area called Disneytown – a spectacular shopping, dining and entertainment district.

The signature hotel of Shanghai Disney Resort will be the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, an elegant Art Nouveau-inspired hotel with a touch of Disney magic and imagination. Also, our Toy Story Hotel will transport guests to a world inspired by the toys from the Disney•Pixar series of “Toy Story” animated films.

“We are excited to provide guests with a glimpse of the unique hotels and the vibrant retail, dining and entertainment district we are creating as a part of the new Shanghai Disney Resort,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “These elements, like the entire park and resort area, are designed to deliver the quality, guest service and great storytelling of Disney, and created specifically with our Chinese guests in mind.”

Disneytown will be located near the two resorts and Shanghai Disneyland and feature world-class entertainment in China at the Walt Disney Grand Theatre – along with distinctive dining and unique shops. This Art Deco theatre in Broadway Plaza will host the global premiere of the Mandarin version of “THE LION KING,” the highest-grossing Broadway show ever.

At the heart of Disneytown will be the Marketplace – a location filled with specialty shops with Disney merchandise, musicians and entertainers.

Next to the Marketplace will be an area called Spice Alley, offering a variety of popular Asian cuisines in a casual, yet romantic environment. The al fresco dining spots are perfect for lunch with friends or a more formal date. And the intimate streets and festive lights encourage leisurely after dinner strolling.

Broadway Boulevard at Disneytown will have stylish boutiques that create an upscale atmosphere. Guests will discover an exciting array of popular labels and trendsetting products.

Also near Disneytown will be the resort’s central lake area, offering guests from Shanghai and around the world an opportunity to commune with nature, surrounded by peaceful greenery and a beautiful lake. The area includes a walking path and various beautiful gardens, which present guests with awe-inspiring natural views and beautiful sunsets.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates on Shanghai Disney Resort.

SHD790801.jpg.af813a504e25cad22da810e30c543302.jpg

SHD790802LARGE.jpg.27bc237820ea5ee1f10b35031cdc3f21.jpg

SHD790803LARGE.jpg.feec582ba7c2eb632a8ec4c000d4e48c.jpg

SHD790804.jpg.6cf2d2c7d50fd2e4a6c387e5db6c6e21.jpg

SHD790805.jpg.2e10f08587d3aae80046d32878744054.jpg

Here's a concept shot I found and posted earlier in the thread. Shows (hopefully) what the Toy Story Hotel will look like at night. And...uh...the clouds will continue on in the rooms as well.

Hotel03.jpg.c5b5a9fdde2f106d9bb1df8184df05e3.jpg

Well, it looks cheery, right? I wonder what's on the ceiling...

I think this hotel will be fine for families. And if any of the children are into Toy Story,

this will amp up their excitement, I'm sure. And from past tour experience, unless one

is actually living in the hotel, it should be fine for touring.

My only hope is that if I/we ever get a room there, the windows face towards Tomorrowland

and a (hopeful) great view of the TRON coaster!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found these three photos in the "Hong Kong Main Street Gazette".

The text is in another language, but the photos are easy to figure out.

Construction on the "almost Radiator Springs" backdrop for Adventure Isle's river attraction!

shdr_20141205_mst_01.JPG.35f946ab9d7ba62dc896c72186a3357f.JPG

And it already looks like a massive mountain range! (o:

shdr_20141205_mst_02.JPG.2edfff8692e6e2fb6bf139ec5f73a658.JPG

Workers on top.

shdr_20141205_mst_03.jpg.3c20bb200c43dde8d4a8cd85ae4e61e8.jpg

Here's the part of the park in question. You can see the concept art

for the river ride, as well. And I want this concept art map of the park!!!

I glimpsed the construction action from the freeway on the way to the airport (PVG) today - fantastic to see and imagine what this will all look like in... well... maybe a year from now?

Any bets on when the park actually opens?

The Toy Story Hotel is definitely an underwhelming exterior... hopefully the interior designs make up for it. Curious what room rates will be like.

Announcing the Lion King in Mandarin was very cool - I'm assuming this is part of the additional $800M in new investments Iger announced earlier this year? I think it's a very savvy move by Disney to try to get additional business for DisneyTown and avoid the early financial troubles of EuroDisney (and to a lesser extent HKDL) - with similar potential issues (easy access to a major city, a 1 day park with inconvenient hotels) Shanghai could definitely be challenging to fill restaurants and hotel rooms - but at least they're restraining themselves to only 2 hotels initially.

I also predict that the lake walking path will be surprisingly popular.

Anyone discovered anything in regards to the Tron Coaster? Heard something vague but extremely unique in regards to the trains themselves and was curious if Disney has mentioned anything in regards to them or the ride itself yet.

Vekoma + Disney = World Class

Vekoma + Anyone else = aspirin