The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby disney4me2001 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:11 pm

fatdaddy wrote:It's an interesting piece of Knott's history, but i can't see where they could display it in the park. I doubt they would keep it on top of a new attraction.

I definitely get your point, although I believe I read somewhere that Raffi said it wouldn't be removed (don't have the source handy, unfortunately). Of course, that's not to say that plans don't change! Or that my mind possibly made it up completely and he never said that.
Feel free to add me on The Simpsons Tapped Out: 1337me_69

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby singforfood » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 pm

I noticed this sign yesterday at the GhostRider photo booth...

IMG_20141112_151939.jpg

It made me laugh. The ride is so rough that they just said "screw it, let's work it into the marketing so people think it's intentional."

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am

Interesting ride with a very strange concept (a Kraken queen pulling coasters underwater?). If there's a scene where she pulls down GhostRider, I don't think many people will try to stop her! :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:21 am

Very cool! Pretty much what I expected. Can't wait to try it out next year and see how they tie this in with the surrounding area.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 am

Steam-punk is now trending! I wonder if this ride will have a "finale" like CW's
Last edited by vacoaster09 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 am.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 am

Voyage to the Iron Reef Logo copy.png

KNOTT’S ANNOUNCES NEW INTERACTIVE 4-D ATTRACTION FOR 2015
Voyage To The Iron Reef Will Submerge Guests Under The Boardwalk In An Interactive Media-Based 4-D Adventure To Save The Theme Park

Buena Park, Calif. (November 13, 2014) – Knott’s Berry Farm announced plans for a spectacular new interactive 4-D attraction for 2015, Voyage to the Iron Reef. Opening spring 2015, Voyage to the Iron Reef adds high-tech fun for everyone as guests save Knott’s from mysterious creatures emerging from the seas beneath the Boardwalk in a cutting edge media-based battle.

Ever since construction crews finished expanding the Boardwalk Pier in 2013, guests have happily enjoyed the many new attractions like Coast Rider and Surfside Gliders. But all that activity on the Boardwalk shores has reawakened a mystic lair in the depths below, filled with creatures who have risen up to wreak havoc on the classic So Cal theme park.

The Queen of the Kraken and her aquatic army have surfaced to feed on the steel of any attraction within their grasps. Their unquenchable appetite for coaster metal has turned these creatures into swimming mechanical monsters unlike anything ever seen on the ocean floor.
Guests who have what it takes to become brave deep sea navigators will climb aboard four-person submarine-inspired ride vehicles and embark on the four-minute gaming adventure into the Iron Reef. Equipped with an interactive freeze ray, guests will aim for ballooning puffer fish, an iron clad octopus and other exciting 3-D creatures as they attempt to blast the most sea life and save Knott’s from a watery doom.

Through enchanting underwater forests, disorienting ocean current tunnels, and mysterious mechanical wreckage, high definition 3-D animation will surround guests at every turn. Along the way, the submarines navigate 600 feet of track and 11 scenes featuring hundreds of media-based creatures and live action special effects.
Altogether, it’s an interactive voyage that features a different experience every time and reacts to the actions and accuracy of the guests onboard. Following the thrilling finale, the number of creatures taken is digitally displayed onboard and in the undock area.

Montreal-based Triotech, the multi-sensory attraction developer that animated the popular Wonder Mountain’s Guardian at Canada’s Wonderland, is the creator behind the groundbreaking gaming system and animation for Voyage to the Iron Reef.

“Triotech is thrilled to cooperate with Knott’s team and bring our media-based interactive dark ride to Southern California, an area with a rich attraction and entertainment heritage. We feel that guests of all ages will enjoy this unique attraction,” said Ernest Yale, Triotech’s President and CEO.

Knott’s is well prepared to integrate new technologies into traditional dark ride experiences. Next year will mark the third consecutive year the park has reintroduced spectacular and unique family attractions. Both the Timber Mountain Log Ride and Calico Mine Ride recently delighted guests after both underwent extensive technological and special effect upgrades, reestablishing Knott’s as a destination renowned for premier theme park experiences.

The future home of Voyage to the Iron Reef is hallowed ground for Knott’s enthusiasts. In 1975, the show building was originally the site of the wacky and whimsical Knott’s Bear-y Tales. Designed by legendary theme park designer Rolly Crump, Knott’s Bear-y Tales transported guests to a county fair filled with anthropomorphized frogs, owls, and bears. In 1987, dinosaurs once again ruled the earth as Knott’s Bear-y Tales transformed into Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, capturing the imagination of a new generation of fans.

“The same commitment to storytelling and dedication to incorporating the most cutting edge ride technologies that made Knott’s Bear-y Tales and Kingdom of the Dinosaurs so popular is what has driven the Iron Reef creative process,” said Raffi Kaprelyan, vice president and general manager of Knott’s Berry Farm. “The technology showcased in Iron Reef will honor the legacy of the attractions that preceded it, and propel the on-ride experience into the 21st century.”
Voyage to the Iron Reef is the centerpiece of an exciting 2015 at Knott’s Berry Farm. For project updates and park information, visit knotts.com or download the Knott's Berry Farm app for your smart phone. Join the conversation about the new attraction using the hashtag #KnottsIronReef on the Knott’s Facebook or Twitter page.
Voyage to the Iron Reef Concept Art.jpg
Voyage to the Iron Reef On-Ride 1.jpg
Voyage to the Iron Reef On-Ride 2.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:31 am.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby PCW_Nut » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:58 am

From the information it does not seem like this will contain any coaster elements like Wonder Mountain's Guardian did due it's 600ft track length. In addition to that the building may not be setup for anything like the finale on WMG.

Really excited for this though as Guardian was a great ride and the story for this does seem quite interesting.

Am I the only one that freaking loves the logo?

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 am

I'm happy the old Kingdom of the Dinosaurs building is being used again for what looks like it will be a fantastic new ride. After going for so long with that building being complete closed off, no doubt there will be fond memories of what used to be as we discover all that is new once the ride is ready and open.

KOD will not return, neither will Bear-y Tales, and that's fine. We will always have our memories. What's most important is that Knott's will have a killer state-of-the-art immersive experience. One that is sure to draw crowds and give a new generation a chance to make the same kinds of memories that we did with Iron Reef's predecessors all those years ago.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 am

I knew something like this was coming, but it looks great based on the pictures and description, and it will be a great addition for Knott's. I think it's interesting that we're starting to see more themed attractions at Cedar Fair parks. I'm usually not the biggest fan of theming, but these dark rides seem to really please the GP, so I think they're good investments and will be successful in the long run.
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:I'm happy the old Kingdom of the Dinosaurs building is being used again for what looks like it will be a fantastic new ride. After going for so long with that building being complete closed off, no doubt there will be fond memories of what used to be as we discover all that is new once the ride is ready and open.

KOD will not return, neither will Bear-y Tales, and that's fine. We will always have our memories. What's most important is that Knott's will have a killer state-of-the-art immersive experience.

Wow. I really wish more theme park fans thought this way! ;)

I'm pretty excited too, to see something new going in that space.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!