TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^Those are some great pictures, judging by the first one I guess the train goes backwards in front of the guests when it leaves the station for the journey to Diagon alley and the next train that pulls in you would have seen just the back end of a carriage? I'd assumed it would since its a funicular railroad, but considering how picky JK Rowling can be with things and it being like the books, I would have thought that the train going in reverse for a journey would have been hidden from view.

I've wondered exactly the same. Seeing the train 'engine' leave the station backwards does kind of spoil the illusion. There is a possible way around this though.

1. Guests queue for the train, but aren't allowed on to the platform

2. The exact number of guests to fill the train are then counted on to an empty platform (just like counting guests on to any other ride)

3. Guests on platform see train arrive the correct way (the platform and train are the right length so guests don't see the 'engine' on the other end of the train)

4. Guests board the train, leaving the platform empty

5. Train leaves and nobody is on the platfom to see the 'engine' go backwards

Is that how it works? Can anybody who has ridden either way confirm?

I really wish I was at the opening of Diagon Alley today

No you don't... The line for Gringotts alone would consume most of your day. Today is literally THE busiest day that Diagon Alley will see. If I was in Orlando this week, I would rather go tomorrow when it will be busy, not not plain stupid busy like today, and still be one of the first (ok, first thousand) people to experience it.

^I can hold out longer than that. I rarely check out new attractions on their "official" opening day due to crazy crowds. I am curious to hear what others think about Gringott's, though.

^ I won't be there until the 27th of July, but I am pretty excited from what I've been reading. Granted I am not looking forward to the massive lines (peak season regardless of the expansion) or the stupid hot/humid Florida weather.

^The rest of the park is dead I'm assuming.

No, but it isn't bad at all either.

85m - Despicable Me

90m - Rip Ride Rockit

65m - Transformers

45m - Simpsons

40m - Mummy

Everything else is 30minutes or less. So not Dead, but for peak season, pretty good.

IOA is lower, but not dead either.

Dudley Do-Right's is as 100m (which is normal)

Forbidden Journey is only at 55m which is lower than the normal 90m and so forth.

So yes, people either stayed away today, or are all in line for Diagon Alley.

Talk about perfect timing. Just saw that JK Rowling released a new book online following the events of the last Potter book. A new book and new land must be a Potter fans dream come true.

Talk about perfect timing. Just saw that JK Rowling released a new book online following the events of the last Potter book. A new book and new land must be a Potter fans dream come true.

I thought that was just a short story.

NOTE: Click HERE for our report from the Diagon Alley Media Day!

Just returned from the opening day of Diagon Alley - Here are some of my quick thoughts:

- While there were a lot of people there, the crowds were nowhere NEAR what I was expecting.

- I wasn't actually expecting to even get into the area today, nor get on the ride, and I did both with minimal wait, especially for an opening day of such an insanely hyped up attraction.

- I'm not a Potter person, and while much of the "story" of the ride was lost on me, I actually liked it, much better than Forbidden Journey.

- Gringotts is BARELY a roller coaster. It has a small coaster section, about the size of half of Hollywood's Mummy backward section or maybe ... *maybe* as long as the coaster section of Journey to Atlantis (Orlando version.)

- The ride is mostly a Spider-Man/Indy type of dark ride with 3-D media, physical sets, and motion vehicle movements. If you're expecting a roller coaster like "Mummy", that's not what this is. Not at all.

- We ended up getting to the park at 7:15 in the morning, was let into Diagon Alley at 8:20, got in the single rider line for Gringotts at 8:55, and was done by 11:00am. I feel that's not bad at all for opening day!

- From what we could tell it looked like they were running the ride at half capacity. They were only using one loading station and four ride vehicles. It also broke down (we think) five times during our two hour wait for probably an average of about 10 minutes. The single rider line actually was moving pretty quickly when the ride was working!

Here are some photos and video clips from our morning...

We arrived at 7:15am....

BsBJvWoCMAAOYuY.jpg:large

Current crowd status entering at Universal Studios Orlando Citywalk ... NONE!

BsBKowVCYAAZPGt.jpg:large

Wow! Pathways leading up to at Universal Studios Orlando are empty! Was not expecting this!

BsBLyIiCcAAilGm.jpg:large

Special at Universal Studios Orlando park map for the opening of Diagon Alley.

BsBMGmdCQAAYmW4.jpg:large

No line at the turnstiles right now! (Thanks to Attractions Magazine for this photo!

BsBOooQCUAAVka_.jpg:large

Last chance to get your Coca-Cola products before entering the Coke-less world of Harry Potter!

BsBO_XTCYAAnSl3.jpg:large

Current crowd to get into Diagon Alley only back to old Amity restrooms. Not bad at all! Was expecting much worse!

[vine]

[/vine]

Wizarding World of Harry Potter Diagon Alley is now OPEN!!!

BsBT6UNCUAEquol.jpg:large

I see ClubTPR members in line for Diagon Alley! REPRESENT!

BsBX0DmCAAAZ0Bd.jpg:large

2nd group walking into Diagon Alley now - 20 min after official opening.

BsBYLUlCQAAko0L.jpg:large

Letting crowd in through one of the exits to avoid crowd control issues.

11.thumb.jpg.a06bbe6a329d7dd18aaf479f82238196.jpg

Here is the actual entrance. I think if all the people try to pour through this at one time it might have been trouble!

[vine]

[/vine]

Current line for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts wraps around huge area of Diagon Alley

BsBZYkiCUAAVjvr.jpg:large

Lots of people inside Diagon Alley - Crowd not moving anywhere, though.

[vine]

[/vine]

Dragon fire in Diagon Alley

BsBalDVCQAErmBA.jpg:large

C'mon Dragon... You know you want some!!!

BsBbJLVCMAIPv6D.jpg:large

Gringotts is open but line is sort of chaotic. No clue if we are waiting for the ride or not!

BsBb0pACQAAcmT3.jpg:large

Current wait 150 minutes. Mixed signals if single rider is open or not. No one seems to really know!

BsBcICpCIAE1_xH.jpg:large

"I breathe fire on you because that's what I do!"

BsBdFz_CYAEwxiV.jpg:large

Currently waiting in a mass of people in line for Gringotts. Lots of line jumping. Very unorganized.

BsBeAqnCEAAEg02.jpg:large

Quick selfie with Michael Aiello and Patrick! Congrats on Diagon Alley guys!

BsBehx_CQAEIZjL.jpg:large

Temporary queue area now being set up for Gringotts. Park is starting to get the line under control now.

BsBfdCGCQAI53ht.jpg:large

Line for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts now up to 300 minutes. Single Rider line OPEN!

BsBiznICAAA4o0r.jpg:large

We've moved pretty far in the Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts single rider line in only 15 minutes!

BsBmsapCAAE0XVR.jpg:large

30 minutes in the Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts single rider line and almost to glasses pickup!

BsBp47FCUAAk86d.jpg:large

We have our Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts goggles! Hope it won't be much longer now!

[vine]

[/vine]

The Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts goblin say it's a roller coaster! Credit whores rejoice!

BsBu5bqCMAAo3c6.jpg:large

Been in Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts single rider line one hour. I think we are pretty close to riding!

[vine]

[/vine]

It looks like Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts spins!

BsB2IcXCQAARwbr.jpg:large

Final staircase in Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts single rider line took 90 min. Would've been faster but it's broken down a few times.

BsB74TWCcAA0TYG.jpg:large

Been just over two hours in the Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts single rider line and we are almost there!

BsB9fabCUAEVM5i.jpg:large

Only five people away! Almost time to ride Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

BsB-o9FCMAAACpW.jpg:large

I'm in the boarding area for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts at Universal Studios Orlando Diagon Alley Next to ride!!!

BsB-804CUAAE4Wg.jpg:large

LOL! We are next to ride Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts and it just broke down again!

[vine]

[/vine]

And Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts is back up and running again!!

BsCF--iCAAA-XIG.jpg:large

Here is my mini-review of Gringott's:

Just rode Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts at Universal Studios Florida. Quick review: liked it MUCH better than Forbidden Journey. To a non-Potter fan, the story made more sense and the effects were GREAT! Very little coaster section. About half the length of Hollywood's backwards Mummy section. It's honestly borderline a "coaster credit" but I feel it wouldn't be worth the argument for counting it or not. It's mostly a "Spider-Man/Indy" dark ride with 3-D media, physical sets, and motion effects. THUMBS UP!!!

BsCFUGhCYAAt497.jpg:large

Current wait time for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringottsat Universal Studios Orlando - 375 minutes!

BsCKZdoCAAAspSL.jpg:large

The rest of Diagon Alley does not appear that busy at the moment.

BsCKoIDCQAAWgTJ.jpg:large

Everyone is in line for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts! Here's the overflow line outside of the main building.

BsCSkWsCcAAJpoi.jpg:large

OMG!!! Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts line up to 450 minutes!

BsCVM3vCUAI7FyT.jpg:large

The streets & shops of Diagon Alley have people, but they aren't as packed as I would have expected.

22.thumb.JPG.fa9df8a4b687bd7556114d0cd1e7a141.JPG

Even the wand shops were not that busy!

[vine]

[/vine]

Bethany making it rain on Matt from Attractions Magazine!

33.thumb.JPG.5e246af69a7d1735e854d5bd0d0ab049.JPG

Some of the street entertainment includes jazz music from the Celestina show! Great stuff!

BsCX8vpCEAAwupQ.jpg:large

Heading out of Diagon Alley Streets are not that busy... Everyone is in line for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts!

BsCZTacCcAI0QUu.jpg:large

Current wait to get into the Diagon Alley area is 2 1/2 hours!

BsCZgYwCUAAgPqJ.jpg:large

My favorite shirt I've seen all day at Diagon Alley! Gotta pay respects to Jaws!

BsCafg3CMAEF55s.jpg:large

Current wait times for other attractions.

BsCdikhCcAADCyC.jpg:large

Universal is currently handing out return time tickets to get into Diagon Alley

BsCf2q-CIAA9wew.jpg:large

So overall. We got to at Universal Studios Orlando at 7:30am. They opened the area at 8:05 after a short grand opening ceremony. Our group was let into Diagon Alley by 8:20. Rode Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts by 11am. Not a bad opening day!

Huge thanks to Matt for Attractions Magazine hanging out with us today!

NOTE: Click HERE for our report from the Diagon Alley Media Day!

Edited by robbalvey

I thought that was just a short story.

Indeed, I meant short story. Not a new book. I'm sure she will write a new Potter book sometime.

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm glad to hear Gringotts was better than Journey. It's hard for me to really like this new area even though it looks amazing. I never read a book and only saw the first 4 movies. But at least it looks great and now with it open, Universal can focus on new attractions.

Haven't heard too much about Hogwarts Express! How have the lines been for that today?

Also, Universal opened the park (well allowed guests to line outside of the Diagon Alley entrance) at 5:30 this morning to probably reduce the crowds waiting to get inside the park.

Also, I imagine that Universal wanted to let as many people into Diagon Alley but still be enjoyable. That's probably why the shops weren't shoulder to shoulder walking and maneuvering.

I think Universal handled the opening pretty well but wow the wait time for Gringotts! Is it just a ride with not much capacity or was that many people in line!

Was there a huge applause from the riders returning from their trip through Gringotts?? After I rode USH's Transformers during previews, my entire car cheered the staff and clapped like crazy.

It really made the whole experience feel special and unique--and I'm sure the ride-ops/cast members appreciated it. I'm sure from looking at the vines, the riders came back with huge smiles and thunderous applause (that is, of course, if the ride didn't break down! )

Looks like you guys had fun. I'm living vicariously through all the USF park-goers on instagram or twitter, lol

Haven't heard too much about Hogwarts Express! How have the lines been for that today?

Last I heard it was about 45 minutes, but that was around 11:00-11:30 this morning.

Also, Universal opened the park (well allowed guests to line outside of the Diagon Alley entrance) at 5:30 this morning to probably reduce the crowds waiting to get inside the park.

Also, I imagine that Universal wanted to let as many people into Diagon Alley but still be enjoyable. That's probably why the shops weren't shoulder to shoulder walking and maneuvering.

I think Universal handled the opening pretty well but wow the wait time for Gringotts! Is it just a ride with not much capacity or was that many people in line!

They definitely were better prepared this time around. But it was a combination of things that made it go smoother, like letting them in early, having the queues out of the way of the main traffic areas, and a middle of the week opening. ...Plus Diagon Alley has higher capacity than Hogsmeade and you have a 6 hour line for Gringotts.

As for Gringotts, it was a little of both. I believe they were running 3 of the possible 7 trains, so it was running at about half capacity, but there was also a lot of people in line. So, when you have a six hour wait for Gringotts, the rest of DA is probably going to look a little less crowded.

On a side note, I've only heard of 2 break downs so far today for Gringotts. I would consider that a success at this point.

Edited by alpengeist04

On a side note, I've only heard of 2 break downs so far today for Gringotts. I would consider that a success at this point.

There were four times while we were in the single rider line where we could hear the ride wasn't running for about ten minutes, and then we would hear cheering from everyone in the queue when it started going again. It was also really obvious when it was broken because the single rider line wouldn't move, then you'd hear the cheers, hear the ride going, and then the line would move again.

I will say every time it broke down they got it going again within 10-15 minutes. Not bad. When the ride is up and running more consistently, I think the single rider line will be a good option. It really moved when the ride was working!

Does the single rider line bypass the elevator and preshow? Where does it split/merge?

It does. It puts you into the room with the spiral staircase and single rider had their own staircase. Both the regular line and single rider merge right at the top so they can put uneven parties together.

Edited by robbalvey