TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

I have a stupid question about Timblerliners....

is there any proof that these actually enhance the ride experience at all?

I've been on two coasters with Timberliners, Wooden Warrior and Hades 360. I loved Wooden Warrior and thought the Timberliners were great and comfortable. Hades 360 was well...yeah. I can't speak to what Hades was like before the new trains, but it didn't feel like they made any impact at all. While they were still generally comfortable, they did nothing to help the smoothness of the ride.

Your mileage may vary of course.

As far as I'm aware, it's a chain-wide addition so I'm assuming they'll be adding FunTV this year. No idea what rides will be adding it since not many have a decent queue to put TVs in every so often. Timbers, Thunderhawk, Mad Mouse, Loggers Run and possibly Corkscrew are the ones that come to mind with queue space to add them and can have long lines. Wildcat just doesn't have anywhere to attach them with the way the entrance ramp is designed, although it's not completely ruled out.

Also makes sense to add it now since they have to tear up some of the midway anyways to add the new fiber optic line for the in-park network.

All I'm aware for construction in the park is Timber's turn around being completely re-tracked. Other than that, I have no idea right now.

They already have the system up and running at CGA, it has music videos, commercials (they were really touting the meal plan at CGA), weather forecast for the day (hourly or every few hours ahead), and some trivia. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in lines, but I do remember them showing a Paramore video, so expect a youth-oriented music selection of recent pop songs.

They already have the system up and running at CGA, it has music videos, commercials (they were really touting the meal plan at CGA), weather forecast for the day (hourly or every few hours ahead), and some trivia. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in lines, but I do remember them showing a Paramore video, so expect a youth-oriented music selection of recent pop songs.

Sounds interesting. Is it already running at the other parks that have already opened (Carowinds, Kings Dominion)?

• 3 weeks later...

Michigan's Adventure used to be my home park many years ago. I used to attend when it was still Deer Park Funland and man that place had a lot of shade trees back in the day. It's a shame they lost so much of those trees as it definatly added to the overall atmosphere of the park. I got to give Cedar fair credit for working at landscaping this park a lot more now and bringing back some of that past charm. Now as far as rides go a few more modern flat rides would balance out the dry side of the park.

• 1 month later...

^^^ Holy crap, that looks awesome. I had to skip MiA on my 2012 coastering mega-trip, so I've never had the chance to ride it, but now I really want to find a way to make it up there. It looks like it's fairly smooth (except maybe a bit of shuffling in the turns, but that's to be expected with PTC trains) & has lots of airtime. Has it had track work done recently? I know some of the CCI coasters I've ridden haven't aged well.

I haven't been up to Muskegon in a few years but this looks like it's tracking incredibly well! I also love that Cedar Fair has not butchered the PTCs with foam headrests and the like. This POV has me thinking road trip...

I know Cedar Fair has a bad reputation amongst enthusiasts for their wooden coaster maintenance and I somewhat agree. With that said, Michigan's Adventure has done a great job retracking Shivering Timbers the last few years. It has transformed from a torture device to a very fun ride. Seeing the retracked turn around made me more excited to ride this airtime machine this summer.

It's been a while since Michigan's Adventure added Thunderhawk and I hope they get another coaster soon. I think it would be cool to see a suspended coaster or an S&S Free Fly over the lake.

I haven't been up to Muskegon in a few years but this looks like it's tracking incredibly well! I also love that Cedar Fair has not butchered the PTCs with foam headrests and the like. This POV has me thinking road trip...

Ditto! Ride looks very smooth and packed with airtime. Glad to see it's in such great shape. But Voyage looks like it one upped this ride by a mile, I would need another stand out coaster to make the trip up to visit MIA

So, what cedar Fair ride do you think will be relocated here next?

Anything, please!

I'm still bitter that Dorney got Demon Drop, a ride that would have went over well at MiAdv. Instead it inexplicably went to a park that already has a drop ride...

Ditto! Ride looks very smooth and packed with airtime. Glad to see it's in such great shape. But Voyage looks like it one upped this ride by a mile, I would need another stand out coaster to make the trip up to visit MIA

Definitely a matter of opinion, but I rode both last year and would say the complete opposite. The only part of ST that was semi-rough for me were the two helices at the end but even they weren't as bad as the violent jolting & hammering we took on the Voyage turns. I was literally flying out of my seat at the top of every hill even with the lap bar and seat belt on ST...even my partner liked it and he is not a fan of wooden roller coasters!

One thing I do agree on is that it would be nice to have one other key coaster in their line-up that might draw crowds in from outside the area. As with most amusement/theme parks, the water park sides seem to be the biggest draw anymore.

I think people already know my opinion of Voyage, but it certainly has the potential to be better...it just wasn't even close last year. Would love to see them make this ride at least tolerable for the over 40 crowd.

So, what cedar Fair ride do you think will be relocated here next?

I think MA deserves a new thrill ride, not something relocated. They haven't received a brand new thrill ride in a very long time. I think that Michigan's Adventure should get some sort of drop tower in the future because they are currently the only Cedar Fair park without one. The Intamin drop towers look too expensive, so maybe a decent sized S&S would fit well with MA. At first, I was thinking that MA should get a GCI because they aren't too expensive, and the CF parks that have them (Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, California's Great America) seemed to have gotten a good bang for their buck, but since they already have a world-class wooden coaster (Shivering Timbers), I doubt they would get a GCI. However, the one thing I think MA needs most of all is a Halloween Haunt event, because they are the only CF park without one. Halloween events seem to be well liked by the GP, so I think it would draw in a lot of people, and also, Memorial Day weekend to the weekend after Labor Day is simply way too short of an operating season for a corporate park, so a Halloween event would make the opearting season longer.

I think that Michigan's Adventure should get some sort of drop tower in the future because they are currently the only Cedar Fair park without one. The Intamin drop towers look too expensive, so maybe a decent sized S&S would fit well with MA.

Actually, a tower from Intamin dosen't have to be that expensive, remember that they offer the 215 feet tower in collaboration with Fabbri. The small ones are totally awesome, so I think the big one i just as awesome.

The only big one is at Gyeongju World in Korea, I believe a few people on here have ridden it.

Gyeongju-World-Bomun-Gyeongju-South-Korea.thumb.jpg.c5ec5df3fd79d4cf2649c4b198b335a5.jpg

ec82acebb3b8-733998_463856980351826_1724265040_n.thumb.jpg.45dee139bfc2cef63b669610b596fd4c.jpg