TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

^ Will do

Seems like the second train is ready to be installed today

Cant wait for the third (unless this is the third and they have snuck in the second train when we couldn't see it).

Follow it, sort of, live on: ftp://213.115.150.61/HelixHjulet_WEB/

Soon we will see some serious testing though, when they start to cycle all of them

current.thumb.jpg.7ec0203ad7bd49c5ba04e05088aa5ba1.jpg

Also, facade is going in fast, and the landscaping department is working fast!!

I stopped by the parking garage yesterday evening.

They were running tests on Helix continuously (empty trains)! As soon as the train came in it went out again within 3-5 minutes. I watched the train go through the track three times. I must say, it looks glorious. At the distance it didn't seem to go fast at all. The launcher gave the train more speed but not like the other launcher at Liseberg (Kanonen). It seemed very graceful when the train launched up to speed. Actually before the top-hat the speed increase was not that big and the first time I saw it I wondered if it would be enough. But seconds later the train went through the top-hat and it looked beautiful! It went so graceful that my wife who were with me (and normally is not to fancy to ride rollercoasters) said that she would like to ride it!

7 more days until I get to ride… can't wait!

^ Nice to hear that, I have seen that they are doing tests in the evening on the web-cams, but not in person

Even if many says that it was stupid to get another launch coaster when Liseberg already have Kanonen. They are so different, and I would also go to the extent to say that Helix isn't a launch coaster at all, but more of a "Boost" coaster. Since that's what the LSM sections do, they just add a bit more speed nothing else.

Sure the LSM sections are long and powerful enough to launch a train from standstill, but in normal operation then it shouldn't happen, hence the "boost" coaster label by me.

I as well can't wait to ride it, I have followed the building of Helix since they announced it, but once Liseberg and Helix opens, I think that I will get the same feeling I did when Kaninlandet (and other buildings around it) opened. That it have always been like this, and all other memories of the place that went previously is a distant illusion. This kind of verdict is in my eyes the best a park can receive, that the new area is so successfully integrated that you get the feeling like it have always been that way in the first place.

They are so different, and I would also go to the extent to say that Helix isn't a launch coaster at all, but more of a "Boost" coaster. Since that's what the LSM sections do, they just add a bit more speed nothing else.

Exactly! And that´s a good thing. It doesent scare people just give them a nice speed increase for the coming track segments. Boost coaster, nice Word!

By the way, every time I get by the parking garage I wonder if i'll meet some of you guys up there - but so far I have been alone... well that time is soon over. In a week stime we can look at Helix up Close

^^I guess not everyone doing Lisebergbanen - who has five trains - will ride Helix.

And Liseberg used all five on Lisebergbanen when I was there last time with waits around 10-20 mins. So one can assume that will also use all Helix trains - this is not Six Flags who keeps running one train with horrendous waits...

So Helix only has three trains? I was expecting more than four trains on such a major coaster with only 20 riders per train.

Yes, there isn't room for any more. From what I have seen then it would be hard for them to have any more on the ride without stacking. There isn't that much space in the timing to run Helix without stacking with 3 trains alone. The timing they are aiming for is 50 seconds between trains which is pretty damn fast, and by running at that tempo then they will be really close to the theoretical pph of the ride, which is 1300 pph if I remember correctly.

^ Yeah, Lisebergbanan have 5 trains, but since they added the extra security gate on the exit which have to be close before the train is allowed to depart, then the 5:th train will always be stacking in the station. Before that gate, then seeing Lisebergbanan running 5 trains without stacking was an awesome sight. Now with the gate, then they can only manage 4 trains without stacking It's still a people eater though

And you are completely correct, Liseberg will always aim to run as many trains that are needed at all times. The only ride where they might run a bit fewer than what we want is Lisebergbanan, but that's just a way to guarantee that there are enough people in the station for the trains to fill up properly so that they won't valley somewhere along the route.

I'm pretty sure that they will have 4 people checking restraints on Helix as well, to keep the pace up, so no Six Flags operations here

^^ On the times I have been there, I have only met one guy taking images of the park, though I didn't have time to stay and chat, since I was ran there while changing between tram and bus at Korsvägen. But that was ages ago

Can't wait to ride it soon

Back to Helix again, currently they are preparing to lift the 4:th car on the train that they are assembling.

Late again I was just going to post that image

Hopefully this means 2 train testing soon

EDIT: seems like the second train is in the shed now, and the first one is taken out for some more test runs.

Also another lorry is picking up another batch of scaffolding that isn't needed any more, the station is really rushing forward to be completed.

current.thumb.jpg.73cdd67713446d57bd61ea0c383c6362.jpg

More work at the station

Edited by Loefet

Helix Forces!!

This just popped up among the comments on the blog, a complete graph of the vertical forces and height curve on Helix

These graphs are just awesome, really shows the power of Helix. And judging by it then the most forceful place is the pull-out of the Top-Hat and not the Helix which have been stated before. The hills seems to produce as well, not to mention the upside-down floater of the Top-Hat

A great thank you to Ann-Marie Pendrill and Liseberg for doing the work to create these graphs!!

f0ea092f8a.jpg.610f2660ce1d728d198b0dc57c8a7e11.jpg

Top graph is the forces in g's

Bottom is the height curve of the ride

helix-OV-Facebook-small.thumb.png.d0c3182db3916ad02ca832390fd5559a.png

And to make sense of it all, here is a picture where the numbers in the picture above corresponds to the numbers on the graph

Edited by Loefet

Blog Update - Fresh images from the station

An update that shows the status of the station as it is today. A lot have been done since the last images, but there is still things to do.

Source: http://projekthelix.se/ny-bilder-fran-stationen/

front.jpg.8126f18d7937abbcde4cb52d4f632c1f.jpg

The business end of Helix <3

Don't forget, POV tomorrow!!

objects.jpg.083de51da095740bbd2a7d80d9d38fa3.jpg

The loose items boxes are ready to go in, (large grey box on the right).

It will be a similar setup as the one on Blue Fire, automatic doors and everything, but not double-sided though.

staff.jpg.f60740268149e44ca18a9a927c1baa78.jpg

A view from the operating booth, with Liseberg personnel getting some training for future operations

waiting.jpg.70d739a5e6c82bdd0980854e2c5d098c.jpg

Several of the queue's in the massive space are in place

wheels.jpg.a9aa312683826102c3871ee098cfbf9e.jpg

The wheels of the train that was put in place today is receiving a fine-tuning before it can be put through it's paces on the track.

window.jpg.fb067709025c86d89dafcd22660e220b.jpg

The roof-light is in, and it gives an epic view of Atmosfear