TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

To Blackpool or not

I will be in Stoke-On-Trent for Alton Towers and Drayton Manor in June and think about adding Blackpool Pleasure Beach if weather permits - maybe even for a day if it rains inland it might be showery or even dry at the coast.

I have checked train connections and was offered this:

08:34

Stoke-On-Trent

08:59

Crewe

Train EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS

09:09

Crewe

09:51

Preston

Train VIRGIN TRAINS

10:33

Preston

11:12

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Train NORTHERN RAIL

My question to our English members: Is the above schedule feasible? I know most trains on the continent run about up to 10-15 minutes late but how is it for England? Any advice welcome...

Another question: How to book a ticket for a tour like this? Do you book one ticket for the whole trip or do you need to buy one for each train operator? Can one buy tickets on the train?

Edited by simon8899

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend using redspottedhanky.com to book your train tickets, you can get them posted to you or use the fast ticket machines in most stations ( get a code emailed to you, put the code in the machine with your credit card and it will print out the tickets. For longer trips with changes sometimes you do need multiple tickets but the correct ones will be printed out or posted to you. You can buy tickets on the train but its usually much cheaper to buy in advance

Trains in the uk aren't as good as some European countries but if you miss a transfer because its late you should be able to get on the next train without any problems.

The schedule otherwise should be ok, where are you visiting from by the way?

I am coming from Hamburg, Germany.

I fly in to Birmingham Intl and go from there to Stoke by Crosscountry Trains. I will stay from Sun to Thu having 3 days for parks and/or sightseeing.

Mon: Alton Towers

Tue: Drayton Manor

Wed: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Bad weather alternative: Shopping and/or museum Manchester.

Honestly I do not mind some showers but I get no pleasure out of riding coasters if get soaked wet doing it...

But thanks for all the feedback.

Edit: Any recommend for food options at Alton, Drayton and Blackpool? For Stoke I have found The White Star pub as I always like to sample locale beers - here by Titanic Brewery. Other recommendations on this also welcome...