The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 3842 - Colossus Construction Update!
Users viewing this topic: SFMMGeek27 and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Tmcdllr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Jew wrote:^SFMM's marketing implies it is a limited time event. The banners in the parking lot say "spring break exclusive."

Tmcdllr wrote:
Blue Turbo wrote:
In the other situation the system didn't know there was an issue until the train started to rollback so it couldn't have stopped the train entering the station. As long as no one was harmed, it doesn't matter that it was inconvenient for everyone else.


See that's the thing, ride systems are so sophisticated now that it SHOULD have known.

Bottom line is there was no accident, just an inconvenience but it's too bad this system allows for such an inconvenience.


By your standard, every single ride on the planet is dumb. Anyone who has ever worked on a ride in any capacity will tell you that they ALL have weird quirks. That's the nature of the beast. PLC's are NOT supercomputers. You can only write so many lines of code that will obviously not account for every possible situation.

The ride system did exactly what it was designed to do. It allowed for the train to advance into the station as soon as it knew it was safe to do so. No one is sitting in meetings going "hey, lets cut down the theoretical capacity to avoid the very slim possibility of a downtime that requires manually moving trains!"


No that's not true at all. My 'standard' does not dictate that every single ride on the planet is dumb- your words not mine.

But IF the sensor that tells the PLC the train has successfully completed going over the loop which would mean at that point it cannot roll back trips, then the train rolls back anyway because it really has NOT successfully completed going over it, doesn't that seem like something is not right there? Maybe the sensor is for something else, I don't know, but in THIS instance that makes no sense.
Image

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 8114
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:39 pm

^I don't think the sensor we are discussing functions as you think it does. My guess is that the sensor merely tells the PLC the train is a safe enough distance away from the station that even if it were to rollback, it would not make it back to the station.

The ride would still be down if a failure of the magnitude you are suggesting actually occurred, which is why I think you are reading too far into it. To me it's just par for the course, an unfortunate quirk that will probably happen again but not actually be a safety concern. Every single ride has some sort of "awkward" (for lack of a better term) downtime that appears worse than it really is, because that is just how rides are designed---you can only write so many lines of "if this happens, then do that (which is the basic logic of how rides are programmed)".
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Tmcdllr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Jew wrote:^I don't think the sensor we are discussing functions as you think it does. My guess is that the sensor merely tells the PLC the train is a safe enough distance away from the station that even if it were to rollback, it would not make it back to the station.

The ride would still be down if a failure of the magnitude you are suggesting actually occurred, which is why I think you are reading too far into it. To me it's just par for the course, an unfortunate quirk that will probably happen again but not actually be a safety concern. Every single ride has some sort of "awkward" (for lack of a better term) downtime that appears worse than it really is, because that is just how rides are designed---you can only write so many lines of "if this happens, then do that (which is the basic logic of how rides are programmed)".


Ok, THAT'S what I did not understand. Since I did not design this ride I was guessing what that sensor that was mentioned was for as that seemed to make sense. I am really fascinated by the technical side of rides and the systems that control them so on this ride for example, it would seem to me that it would have a sensor for that purpose, but apparently not. Sometimes it's tough to discuss technical things about rides on this site because everybody knows what they are talking about but most have never had experience designing or building these rides, I fall into that category.

Jew, thank you for being willing to discuss this, it's nice to be able to chat without getting into an argument and just so you know I never meant it to go that way, I was just trying to understand this better. I still have not been to the park yet to ride this either.
Image

Online
Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 41542
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Joey was out at the park today to do another update... here goes...

Batman Backwards is OPEN!!!! (at least for Season Passholders!)

Here's what it looks like in motion...


YouTube Videolink


And now some photos...
sfmm_mar9_01.jpg
Front entrance new turnstiles now installed. Soon you'll put your finger in the thing to get into the park or something like that.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_02.jpg
Yessss! March 9th 2014 and we finally have 2014 park maps! (I'm sure they were printed a while ago, but the first batch was probably stolen by angry beavers.)
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_03.jpg
Mooseburger lodge is still undergoing some sort of transformation. Any day now I'm expecting Megatron to pop out of the roof and start flinging hamburgers at people.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_04.jpg
Here is an empty building. There is wood and stuff inside. Soon it will have other things. But we don't know what those other things are.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_05.jpg
The words "Sierra Falls" are still written on this sign because when anyone reads those words they instantly think happy thoughts.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_06.jpg
Here's some dirt. From this dirt you can make many things. Mud Pies, pretend chickens, jars of horse radish, other mounts of dirt.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_07.jpg
Apparently no one wants to see a scissor lift doing a pantomime show. It's been cancelled until further notice.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_08.jpg
They took this ride away because they don't want children to have any fun.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_09.jpg
Plastic Bag: The Ride has gotten a new purple fence.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_10.jpg
In this building you can eat children.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_11.jpg
OMG!!!! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?! Someone turned Batman around BACKWARDS!!!
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_12.jpg
This photo proves that Six Flags Magic Mountain is already better than Shanghai Disneyland.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_13.jpg
Not only did they turn Batman around backwards, but ravenous wolves came in and ate an entire row of this coaster.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_14.jpg
Pocket Fluff.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_15.jpg
Let's play a game, shall we? Which photo is actually Batman going backwards? This one?
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_15a.jpg
or this one? The answer is below, but respond first and then see if you are right or wrong. (don't cheat now!!!!)
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_16.jpg
In this restaurant they serve everything plain. Plain hamburgers, plain pasta, pizza without anything on it. Apparently, it's not very popular.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_17.jpg
Because going backwards is cool. There will be more. (Shhhhh.... don't tell anyone this ride normally goes backwards every year anyway! You'll give away the secret!)
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_18.jpg
The goofy things with arms is almost ready to start smacking people again.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_19.jpg
This goofy thing with arms requires much more care and love from doctors and nurses that enjoy that sort of thing.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_20.jpg
Does anyone know what this archway used to say? (does anyone care???)
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_21.jpg
This sign means something.
Viewed 5487 times

sfmm_mar9_22.jpg
We will end this update with two multi-colored sticks because it reminds me of chopsticks and I kinda want to eat some Kung Pao Chicken. So there you go...

Thanks Joey for the photos! =)
Viewed 5487 times



*they are both Batman backwards, stupid! We just flipped the picture! Duh!!!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm.

Can I park my donkey here?
User avatar
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Age: 15

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby trj820 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm

robbalvey wrote:Joey was out at the park today to do another update... here goes...

Batman Backwards is OPEN!!!! (at least for Season Passholders!)


It was going backwards in the first photo, because that photo is of the first corkscrew.

*Edit* I just realized the photos were mirror images if each other...
Last edited by trj820 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:35 pm.
Image

Bonafide Donkey Expert
User avatar
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for the photos Joey! I do want to try Batman backwards, I bet it will be totally intense as I already find the Batman clones to be intense.
Image

Bonafide Donkey Expert
User avatar
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

I say it was going backwards in the first photo. I remember the Batman logo banners being on the right of the loop.
Image

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 220
Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Location: Ventura County
Gender: Male
Age: 19

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby rustyinpeace » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Wow, can't believe I fell for that. I hate you Robb. :p
Hi, I'm Rusty and my username was a MISTAKE!!!! I'm not dead! didn't mean to put that![/color]

R.I.P. Deja Vu (2001-2011)

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 8114
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 pm

To be honest, I think forwards batman is much more intense! Backwards batman was actually smooth and didn't even make me feel dizzy like I thought it would
Image

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Male
Age: 41

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby JeromyL » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Mr Stratosphere wrote:Thanks for the photos Joey! I do want to try Batman backwards, I bet it will be totally intense as I already find the Batman clones to be intense.


Rode it in the last car. Better view and it was real smooth and not intense. It's a lot of fun (thank you six flags for season pass sneak peek!!!
Image

PreviousNext