TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Yeah Son of Beast has 1 Rough spot

Yes, pictured here:

Haha! Right on the money. Rough with no redeeming qualities.

I say if the wood can be salvaged, use it to build a dueling GCI.

If the wood can't be salvaged, use the space to build a B&M Invert.

If there are no plans to replace it, leave it be.

Someone predicted the future..

From KI Facebook page

"If you think riding The Beast at night is an adventure, wait until this year! Textured lighting and other lighting effects will bring the Banshee legend to reality on the new record-breaking Banshee roller coaster, creating the ultimate night ride experience!"

^When I drove by it I couldn't believe the scale of Banshee, I think it looks huge from 71.

Keep in mind that I am higher off the ground in a truck and like I said, the fact that the lift hill traveled away from my view point, hid its height versus the full on side view you get with Diamondback. Plus I was traveling south it might look different traveling north. I seem to only ever travel south on I-75. Northbound I'm almost always way over on I-81 and then back into Ohio from the east.

That would have been amazing to have a water effect on backlot. You mentioned they were to drift, how so??

From what I heard, the concept Paramount approached Premier (might of been the other way around, not sure) was to have the back of the cars "drift" when it went around a corner, or basically the car part of the chassis would swing out to the side. The tech apparently wasn't ready so they decided to not include it in the final coaster. Premier did end up making a concept that was shown at IAAPA 2010. Apparently the coaster was sold to a park in Abu Dhabi, but have yet to see it appear. http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=189&linkid=9775&pageno=5

Thank you for sharing that information. That would have added a great element to that ride. Shame it did not make it to the final round in America!

^When I drove by it I couldn't believe the scale of Banshee, I think it looks huge from 71.

Keep in mind that I am higher off the ground in a truck and like I said, the fact that the lift hill traveled away from my view point, hid its height versus the full on side view you get with Diamondback. Plus I was traveling south it might look different traveling north. I seem to only ever travel south on I-75. Northbound I'm almost always way over on I-81 and then back into Ohio from the east.

You also need to remember to calculate the angle of the horizon in relation to the highest point on the lift hill and divide it by the hight of your truck plus the height you have your seat adjusted to and then multiply that by the year Son of Beast opened divided by the year it closed and then square it by the height of Banshee's brake run. And remember to carry the 4.

A good use of the land behind Banshee would be a giga coaster. Station near old SoB station and lift hill goes behind Banshee and then out behind Racer going over FoF. Turning around and coming back.

Maybe that is next years expansion Along with a new theme for Action Zone.

Son of Beast's lift didn't look all that impressive as you drove south on I-71. You are going up a hill as you drive past The Beach towards the Kings Mills exit and even then you don't really get the best view until you are almost past the park. The best views are heading north and from what I recall during my visit last October Banshee's lift does look impressive on the skyline.

A good use of the land behind Banshee would be a giga coaster. Station near old SoB station and lift hill goes behind Banshee and then out behind Racer going over FoF. Turning around and coming back.

Maybe that is next years expansion Along with a new theme for Action Zone.

They might expand back into that land adding flats and such next year, but a coaster next year? No.

I was joking about a coaster. It looks like every 5 years the park makes a large investment and then would be a good time for a coaster. I don't see any flats going back there. The pathways to get to them would make things confusing and look unplanned since it would be in the back of the park.

new image from google earth

FINALLY GOOGLE IMAGES HAS UPDATE THEIR MAP! I kept checking throughout discussion and was surprised to see SOB still standing there! NO MORE!

If this post is serious, I have to say that Holiday World's image has not been updating since early winter of 2005 while Kings Island was last updated in 2012.

Son of Beast's lift didn't look all that impressive as you drove south on I-71. You are going up a hill as you drive past The Beach towards the Kings Mills exit and even then you don't really get the best view until you are almost past the park. The best views are heading north and from what I recall during my visit last October Banshee's lift does look impressive on the skyline.

Son of Beast was built on a bit if a downhill. So even from standing by the go-karts, it didn't quite look 200+ feet tall.

Son of Beast was built on a bit if a downhill. So even from standing by the go-karts, it didn't quite look 200+ feet tall.

I disagree. Even though I never got to ride SOB, every time I drove passed KI or was in the park, I thought SOB was an incredibly impressive structure. Banshee on the other hand does not impress me that much. I've only gone passed KI twice since the lift hill has been up and I just haven't felt that awe inspiring size and massiveness that SOB gave me. This doesn't at all mean that I want SOB back. I'm very excited to try out Banshee on media day. I do think the most impressive part of this coaster is looking at it from the valley up towards the lift. It would be nice to see some of the park developed back into that area so we can enjoy those views! Just my 2 cents on it.