TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Premier's older coasters have the belts attach to the side metal bar of the lap bar on the out side and I think they worked pretty well. Both Mr.Freezes and Poltergeist has pretty high capacity thanks to the restraint design. I wonder why they stopped using that?

Yes. This sounds very much what I'm referring to. I do acknowledge however, that the issue is that the trains would have to be modified, and would Six Flags be willing to do that? I doubt it...

Premier's older coasters have the belts attach to the side metal bar of the lap bar on the out side and I think they worked pretty well. Both Mr.Freezes and Poltergeist has pretty high capacity thanks to the restraint design. I wonder why they stopped using that?

Yes. This sounds very much what I'm referring to. I do acknowledge however, that the issue is that the trains would have to be modified, and would Six Flags be willing to do that? I doubt it...

I think weld a lock at the side of the lap bar and attach the belt to the metal bar on the side wouldn't take too much work. Two tiny holes on the seat could make it.

In regards to the seatbelt-lapbar issue, for me it would make sense to have signs on the back of the seat in front of you, telling you not to lower the lapbar till your seat-belt has been checked too. Also for busier days, have an instructional video playing on TV screens, instructing riders to not bring on loose items, move to the last seat in the row and to NOT LOWER YOUR RESTRAINT TILL THE RIDE OPERATOR TELLS YOU!

You're placing far too much faith in SFMM riders' capacity and/or willingness to read these notices and abide by them. At least 40% won't notice because they're playing tonsil hockey the entire time they're in the queue.

Most everyone expects themselves and their stuff to be accomodated, rather than having to read/notice instructions on how to accomodate the coaster. When nearby parks like Universal and Disneyland provide facilities for loose items and SFMM doesn't, that lack of somewhere to put their stuff is not what they're expecting.

^ Another nice design idea, but these coasters have already been built, so it's a little late for that.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to program into the rides control system. Probably wouldn't require more then a change in a few lines of code.

A simple line to hold restraint unlock until the button is pressed again is all that it would take.

Went to the mountain from 2:15-closing.

YOLOcoaster: Dispatches were actually a bit quicker from recent experiences. Line took 20 minutes.

Tatsu: Dispatches seem quite slow. Line took 25-30 minutes.

Riddlers: Line was so long i had to do single rider. I was on the front row of the first train that came in! Sweet!

Scream: Train 1 ran flawlessly. Train 2 ran like a confused bucking bronco.

S:EFK: Rode it twice. No wait.

LL:DOD: Rode one with long wait so i used single rider.

Apocalypse. I rode this three straight times and the two in the second row were pretty rough but he one on the second to last row was pretty smooth. All in same train.

X2: I finally got my friend to ride it cause he hates how painful it is. I told him it just cam back from a """refurb""" And it should be fine. I WAS RIGHT. SMOOTHEST RIDE IV'E EVER HAD ON IT! AMAZING!!!!!

Great day at the park!

^ Another nice design idea, but these coasters have already been built, so it's a little late for that.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to program into the rides control system. Probably wouldn't require more then a change in a few lines of code.

A simple line to hold restraint unlock until the button is pressed again is all that it would take.

Any modification of a ride in California requires state approval. So even if the programming is a simple fix, SFMM would need the manufacturer and the state to approve it before it can be put in use.

^Thus why Disney programs their own attractions. Still need state approval to change programming but they do not have to consult the manufacturer as they make themselves the manufacture. 1 less step.

FT's operators are dealing with the same thing that Xcelerator's operators deal with. All it takes is 1 idiot to pull down their lap bap while sitting on their seat belt to delay the entire train while all lapbars are released and rechecked.

Okay, are X2 restraints the reason why people say it is painful, or is it the track's (or overall train's) condition?
Neither. It's not the track condition (although it could be the third rail, I think it's more likely to be the gear mechanism on the trains) The pain is because of the jerky seat rotations, which on the last raven turn causes your feet to get thrown out in front of you and then slammed back into the seat bruising the hell out of your calves.

Everyone I've heard from who has ridden it since the down time however has said it has been painless, so I'm hopeful that they did some rehab work while the ride was down. I'm cautiously optimistic until I read more reviews or read one of them that specifically says "I rode on the outside with no one on the inside" (which has been worst case for roughness).

Okay, are X2 restraints the reason why people say it is painful, or is it the track's (or overall train's) condition?

I just rode it Sunday. Restraints weren't painfull. Just your calves bouncing on the pads But in no way close to being unbearable. Worth the ride for sure

I rode third from the rear. Outside. No one on the inside.

I really wish these cars had an ankle restraint like Tatsu so your calves wouldn't get slammed like that.

In Robb's tour of the S&S facility the other day it was revealed that they are currently manufacturing new trains for Eejanaika, I'll be interested to see what improvements, if any, have been added to the X2 train design.

These are much like the newer X2 and Dinoconda trains.

Sounds like Eejanaika had the older trains to begin with so I don't think those trains will be much different, if it all, from X2's current trains.

The trains Eejanaika has right now are much closer to the original X trains and Robb said the new ones will be similar to the X2's, but it's possible there could be differences. Given that they've had a little more than 5 years since X2 opened, it's possible that they may make improvements based on what they've seen on X2 and Dinoconda.

So I noticed SFMM has decided to ditch middle school grad night in favor of a high school grad night. Interesting to see them try and take on Disneyland...

Any high schooler I know would choose Magic Mountain over Disney for grad night. That is, unless they were a hard core disney fan. But other than that, thats actually a fairly smart move.

Grad Night at Disney has been a tradition for 50 years. High Schoolers hear all the stories as to why this night is legendary. I only see SFMM being a budget option for schools whose students can't afford the $80 for Disney's grad night.

I just ordered my membership program for Six Flags parks, did anyone else do this? I think it is a great option and I wish that more parks would adopt this. I know Disney has it, but don't you have to renew each year? I love the idea of being able to cancel the membership (after the initial 12 months) at any time. Like a gym membership. Love it!