TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Have the YOLOCoaster ops begun the doing what S:UF's ops do now? (Making everyone parrot back and agree to the lap bar instructions before the air gates will open) It seems like a good idea on paper because people will remember not to pull the lap bar down, but in reality people are paying even less attention to the operator before they get in the car, which means it usually takes 2 or 3 rounds of "Everyone raise your hand if you heard me" before they do and the gates are opened, and it feels like it takes even longer for this than it would to recheck the restraints.

They should announce. "If you touch the restraint. You'll be kicked off the ride"

At S:UF, they do. If you pull the lap bar down and they have to recheck the train, you are removed from the train and shown the exit. They warn you while you're in line that you will "be terminated" if you pull it down.

Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster used to have a similar procedure, but I don't think they ever rechecked the train for somebody pulling down a bar, and that policy is gone now. Maybe SFMM could attach placards to the trains saying not to pull down the lap bars? Or, maybe next time it is down for maintenance, maybe a system could be installed that locks the lap bars up until a ride op comes around and pulls them down.

Maybe they should just let you put your own lap bar down, and avoid the issue altogether?
Because the ride was designed for use without seat belts, the lap bar is so large it completely covers the seat belt buckle and if it is down the ride ops cannot check to make sure the seat belt is secure. (Which is in my opinion moot since the ride is perfectly capable of operating safely without them, but Six Flags corporate put them in (I assume, I dont think its been actually confirmed) in response to the NTAG accident)

So. Was on Luther and ride goes up 10 feet and gets stuck. Then. Last ride on superman. Only excelerates about 50mph. And barely makes it up the curve in the tower Lol. Gets stuck halfway to the station for 15 min. At least they switched us to the other side and relaunched. Rofl

In regards to the seatbelt-lapbar issue, for me it would make sense to have signs on the back of the seat in front of you, telling you not to lower the lapbar till your seat-belt has been checked too. Also for busier days, have an instructional video playing on TV screens, instructing riders to not bring on loose items, move to the last seat in the row and to NOT LOWER YOUR RESTRAINT TILL THE RIDE OPERATOR TELLS YOU!

Another option it to see if there is a possibility to lock the lapbars up so it is physically impossible to lower them until the ride operators are satisfied with the seatbelts.

Or else, they can copy those inverter rides, where the buckle is positioned on the outside of the train, and the seatbelt correspondingly is positioned on the outside of the lapbar. This would allow the lapbar to be lower and the seatbelt to be buckled all in one hit...

^^^ I have no doubt that future Premier coasters at Six Flags parks will be designed for seat belts, but I don't think that Six Flags will invest the time and money necessary for those upgrades to the current coasters when they can just keep doing what they're doing.

In regards to the seatbelt-lapbar issue, for me it would make sense to have signs on the back of the seat in front of you, telling you not to lower the lapbar till your seat-belt has been checked too.

That does sound like a good idea in theory, but honestly, how many people follow the directions on the back of the seat in front of them? For example, I have seen lots of Coasters have sign on the seats that say "Hold on to lap restraint" and "Keep head against head rest". I almost always hold my hands up (as do most people) and I never place my head against the head rest. So, I still don't think that would solve the problem of pulling the lap bar down prematurely.

In regards to the seatbelt-lapbar issue, for me it would make sense to have signs on the back of the seat in front of you, telling you not to lower the lapbar till your seat-belt has been checked too.

That does sound like a good idea in theory, but honestly, how many people follow the directions on the back of the seat in front of them? For example, I have seen lots of Coasters have sign on the seats that say "Hold on to lap restraint" and "Keep head against head rest". I almost always hold my hands up (as do most people) and I never place my head against the head rest. So, I still don't think that would solve the problem of pulling the lap bar down prematurely.

But that's because you are an enthusiast. GP just know it's a coaster that goes upside down two times(arguably three times) with the worlds tallest loop. But for an enthusiast, we know the right position to ride Maverick, put hands up but not to the side, lean back on most coasters but not rough woodies that we need to avoid body contact with the trains etc etc.

If there's no sign that tells the GP to hold up the lap bar, they would think it's perfectly safe to do whatever they want as long as they are locked. The fact is that for most woodies, riders on the trains can actually touch the handrail or even the cat walk on the sides. Dump GP's curiosity can make the park pay a lot of money for them. Similarly, some GP would lean forward on a coaster with lap bar if no sign tells them to put their head back. We all know it is damaging to the neck especially on some crazy Anton loopers that pulls around 6G's.

Putting up a sign is also a way to avoid paying for the dump GP's mistakes.