Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby beatle11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 am

^Lol, I did the same thing. It was awesome!

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Another great update. Glad to see how much you love this park. Great America was my "home" park growing up. We lived about 3 hours away but went at least once each summer. It had been 13 years since I'd been there, so I was really excited to get back. It's definitely my favorite Six Flags park, even though Great Adventure has a better ride lineup. They've just kept that old school charm that a lot of the other Six Flags parks have lost over the years.

I can't wait to get back and ride Goliath next summer!

Are you only doing the parks on the Midwest Trip, or are you going to talk about the other parks you guys went to? Just curious.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 pm

cfc wrote:
Alright, I have to admit Superman doesn't fit the theme here [in Orleans Place].

It's a little-known fact that Superman loves gumbo. He could never get it on Krypton or in Smallville. ;)

Haha! That explains it.

^ Hey Thad I think I will keep on going through our Virginia/Florida/LA excursions. We absolutely loved some of the parks we visited, like Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Islands of Adventure while others were a bit disappointing due to closed rides.

Thanks for your comments everyone!
Last edited by mattnz on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 am.

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Great, can't wait to see the rest of your pictures. I can't believe the terrible luck you guys had. I-305 and Xcelerator were down, correct?

Postby mattnz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:06 am

Yep! It almost became comedic the way we lucked out!

Thank the Intamin Gods for Fastlane - Cedar Point

Postby mattnz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 am

This update brings us to the end of the Texas Midwest portion of our trip, but stay tuned for updates from Kings Dominion (without Intimidator 305...), beautiful Busch Gardens Williamsburg, all four Walt Disney World Resort parks, SeaWorld Orlando, Busch Gardens Tampa, the amazing Universal Orlando Resort parks, and finally Knott’s Berry Farm (without Xcelerator...the Intamin cable strikes again!).

When you're a roller coaster enthusiast from New Zealand, a country with precisely three credits, you tend to want to get to as many parks as you can when you travel, and this trip was no exception. And all three of our trips to the US have seen us stop by Cedar Point - always a natural destination for any coaster enthusiast.

Our three days at the park in 2013 were our favourites due to the wonderful, wonderful Fast Lane Plus. I prefer Cedar Fair's 'fastpass' system over any other - while I appreciate virtual queueing, I like the simplicity of a basic two-lane system and think Cedar Fair have, by and large, got it right (whereas other parks seem quite inconsistent from ride to ride). And when you're an international visitor, a fastpass system is absolutely essential at a park like Cedar Point! Our last two visits saw us waiting up to two hours for rides like Maverick, Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster (and even Raptor).

It was great to stay on site again at the historic Hotel Breakers, which allows not only early morning ERT but more of a relaxing day as you can come and go freely from the park. And as with our last visit with TPR, a lot of us rounded out our days at TGI Friday's...

I have to say my thanks again to Robb and Elissa for the entire trip and the awesome perks we got at Cedar Point, which was the icing on the cake. Aside from Fast Lane Plus, food vouchers and some lovely final trip meals, we got backstage tours of Millennium Force and GateKeeper, and incredible ERT sessions on Maverick (or Maveshark as the fabulous ride crew named it) and Millennium Force. These were absolutely epic!

Cedar Point, like many other parks from Texas to the Midwest, lit up at night for their giant dance party-style event called Luminosity – Ignite the Night (goodbye and good riddance to the awful American Portrait show!). It was a fun way to end some great summer days at one of my favourite parks in the world. There is just something about Cedar Point that I really love. Yes, the park is barren in spots, with generic or no themeing, and they have some of the worst (and overpriced) park food out there...but it's immense, has a stunning setting against Lake Erie, and everywhere you look is coaster after coaster after coaster, with the roar of the trains and screams of riders surrounding you.

The following are photos from front to back of the park (and back again) across all three of our thoroughly enjoyable days at Cedar Point in 2013.
IMG_0001A (Copy).JPG
We stayed again at Hotel Breakers. Word on the trip had it that certain hallways were haunted...but we couldn't detect any bad vibes.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0001B (Copy).JPG
How can you when you have a view like that?!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0002 (Copy).JPG
For most visiting Cedar Point, this is their view nowadays.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0003 (Copy).JPG
It's a pretty impressive entrance.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0004 (Copy).JPG
But I'll just get this out of the way: I thought GateKeeper was so-so. Better than X-Flight, sure, but at least as uncomfotable to ride, distracting you from the amazing view the ride features alongside Lake Erie.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0005 (Copy).JPG
And this hill...has no airtime. For something so impressive-looking, GateKeeper is pretty damn forceless.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0006 (Copy).JPG
Look at that setting! How did B&M mess up the wing coaster concept so badly?! Ah, well, hats off to the crew who were excellent, really getting the trains pumping through. (Hey, DJ PJ!)
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0007 (Copy).JPG
Upon entering Cedar Point, most guests will also be accosted by one of those annoying park photographers.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0008 (Copy).JPG
Hey, it's a free photo!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0009 (Copy).JPG
The front of the park has its share of charm.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
Beautiful!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0011 (Copy).JPG
This is another colourful corner of the park.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0011A (Copy).JPG
MaXair doing its thing.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0012 (Copy).JPG
The GateKeeper entrance is looking pretty generic. What can I say, I thought Disaster Transport was a really fun ride, and the 330-foot Space Spiral was good too.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0013 (Copy).JPG
Can someone tell me why Wicked Twister never seems to get much of a queue? It is a complete and utter mystery to me. I think it's a great ride.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0014 (Copy).JPG
WindSeeker was definitely worth a spin, especially to hear the terrified screams from Neil!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0015 (Copy).JPG
It's the windest WindSeeker out there!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0016 (Copy).JPG
Cedar Point has a lot of flat rides...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0017 (Copy).JPG
The park also features an iconic midway that has been much-copied around the world, with Corkscrew in pride of place.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0018 (Copy).JPG
I think I nailed this photo!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0018A (Copy).JPG
Corkscrew is an OLD school Arrow ride.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0019 (Copy).JPG
I love the retro station.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0020 (Copy).JPG
So many of those early Arrow coasters feature a small drop out of the station.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0021 (Copy).JPG
Corkscrew isn't very good, but I do love the airtime hill. I wonder how it compares to Marriott's original Turn of the Century coasters and their infamous airtime hills?
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0021A (Copy).JPG
But enough Arrow for now (this park has a LOT of Arrow by the way!), another giant blue coaster awaits...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0022 (Copy).JPG
We got an awesome backstage tour of Millennium Force!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0023 (Copy).JPG
We also got up close and personal to 'Bone Town' as seen on the Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0024 (Copy).JPG
Yep, we all geeked out.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0024A (Copy).JPG
It was great to snap these behind-the-scenes shots of Millennium Force.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0025 (Copy).JPG
The ride is hands-down one of the best steel coasters in the world, if not my favourite.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
There is just something about it that's so much fun!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
It may not have the most airtime (it DOES have airtime, I will point out!), but it packs so much speedy, fun elements into its length you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0028 (Copy).JPG
It's also very sexy-looking.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0028A (Copy).JPG
"Nothing to see here, move along..."
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0028B (Copy).JPG
"Nothing to see here either, move along..."
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0029 (Copy).JPG
As Neil pointed out during our amazing ERT session, this coaster is SEX. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'll have some!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0030 (Copy).JPG
It was especially delightful to bypass much of the queue later in the day with Fast Lane. God bless you, Matt Ouimet!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0032 (Copy).JPG
Nearby Millennium Force is another coaster I quite like (unlike a lot of other coaster enthusiasts).
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0033 (Copy).JPG
Andrew and I both love the standing coaster concept, and we've never found Mantis to be particularly rough.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0034 (Copy).JPG
This trip was an exception to our past experience - we both got a bit of an ear bashing...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0035 (Copy).JPG
It's still nice to ride an intense B&M coaster. And Mantis really roars!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0036 (Copy).JPG
We encountered an immense queue, even with Fast Lane.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0037 (Copy).JPG
Top Thrill Dragster is another top-notch coaster at the park.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0038 (Copy).JPG
As per usual, we had to wait a pretty long time between break-downs to get on this contraption!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0039 (Copy).JPG
But we made up for it a couple of times courtesy of Fast Lane Plus.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0040 (Copy).JPG
Top Thrill Dragster lives up to its name.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0041 (Copy).JPG
It's truly breaktaking each and every time you ride.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0042 (Copy).JPG
I'm in the Magnum fan camp, and not just because of this sexy 80s station.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0043 (Copy).JPG
When the queue for Magnum looks like this, you know it's a BUSY day at Cedar Point!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0044 (Copy).JPG
Magnum was as great as ever. Painful airtime in the front (unless you really brace yourself), a bit smoother in the back. All in all, an absolute classic that I hope the park will keep around for a long, long time.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0045 (Copy).JPG
I'm glad Cedar Point still have their Enterprise too.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0046 (Copy).JPG
Gemini midway, soon to get a bit of a makeover.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0047 (Copy).JPG
Speaking of Gemini, this remains one of my favourite rides at the park, even when it's not racing (as in this photo).
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0048 (Copy).JPG
We did get some racing rides in, and they're just hands-up fun. The ride also features its share of decent airtime.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0049 (Copy).JPG
But for a lot of our visit, the ride looked like this - with the red train stuck on the brake run.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0049A (Copy).JPG
At certain points, the ride also looked like this!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0050 (Copy).JPG
There were quite a few break-downs on this visit. Here's Cedar Creek Mine Ride stuck on the second lift hill.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0051 (Copy).JPG
It's a pretty bad mine train anyway - mostly just meandering around an unimaginative course.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0051A (Copy).JPG
The very back of the park is quite pretty.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0051B (Copy).JPG
Antique Cars...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0052 (Copy).JPG
At some point we also rode Mean Streak...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0052A (Copy).JPG
To me, it's not too bad in terms of roughness (due to heavy trims), but it's a pretty boring ride. It doesn't LOOK it, but somehow it's just not up to much at all, and I never seem to be able to remember very much about it.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0053 (Copy).JPG
Maverick, on the other hand, could well be the best ride in the park!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0054 (Copy).JPG
We had my favourite ERT session of the whole trip on Maverick (or should I say, Maveshark!). It helped that the ride is great, but also racing in the dark is an epic experience, helped by the absolutely awesome ride crew, who were pumped and just lots of fun the entire time. We really appreciated it - thanks guys!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0055 (Copy).JPG
Just watch those 'neck choppers' and Maverick is as smooth as can be!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0056 (Copy).JPG
Cedar Point has a few different museum-style attractions, and this was the best one.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0057 (Copy).JPG
They had quite a few models.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0058 (Copy).JPG
Mean Streak...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0059 (Copy).JPG
Blue Streak...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0060 (Copy).JPG
As a log flume enthusiast I should mourn the demise of White Water Landing, but Maverick is just too good.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0061 (Copy).JPG
The museum had plenty of historic artefacts too...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0062 (Copy).JPG
Like all this miscellanous stuff...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0063 (Copy).JPG
Alas, Skyhawk was closed the entire duration of our visit. Bit of a shame - I love S&S Screamin' Swings.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0064 (Copy).JPG
Chick-fil-A was new to us... Friends back home told us we weren't allowed to eat here, but I heard they'd reneged on all the anti-gay stuff?
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0065 (Copy).JPG
There was something quite unsettling about this! (Never in New Zealand!)
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0066 (Copy).JPG
Ah well, Mr. Cathy and his chicken lovin' bible bashers can have their money. The food was damn good!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0067 (Copy).JPG
We didn't do the water rides on this visit, but it's a good idea to do all three in a row if you're staying on-site at the park. You can pop back to the hotel for a quick change, and they're all fun rides (even Shoot the Rapids).
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0068 (Copy).JPG
We explored the Frontier Trail...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0069 (Copy).JPG
It's one of the few areas left at Cedar Point still covered in trees, which makes for a nice change of pace.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0070 (Copy).JPG
We decided to pop inside all the little shops and stops along the way.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0071 (Copy).JPG
The Grist Mill was pretty cute.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0072 (Copy).JPG
The whole area has a very nice feel to it.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0072A (Copy).JPG
A peek inside the Red Garter Saloon.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0073 (Copy).JPG
This was something we were very surprised (and delighted) to see at more than one park on this trip...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0074 (Copy).JPG
Same-sex hand-holding! Dan Cathy would NOT approve!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0075 (Copy).JPG
On each of our trips to Cedar Point we've taken the Sky Ride for some scenic photos.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0076 (Copy).JPG
One of the more historic buildings at the park...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0077 (Copy).JPG
It's a beautiful-looking ride...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0078 (Copy).JPG
Raptor still packs a punch after all these years.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0079 (Copy).JPG
It's a very intense coaster.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0080 (Copy).JPG
And for some reason, it always seems to have long, long queues. We've never been able to work out what's the best time to hit up the ride. Thank the Intamin gods for Fast Lane!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0081 (Copy).JPG
I wish I could be riding Raptor right now...
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0082 (Copy).JPG
Your toes tingle after a ride on this thing!
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0083 (Copy).JPG
Still one of the best inverts out there.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0084 (Copy).JPG
Blue Streak is not to be forgotten.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0085 (Copy).JPG
It's honestly one of the best coasters at the park! Lots of fun-filled airtime, and a bona-fide classic.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0086 (Copy).JPG
Cedar Point looks great at night.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0087 (Copy).JPG
I loved the changing colour schemes on Power Tower.
Viewed 9293 times
IMG_0088 (Copy).JPG
And this photo of Luminosity brings me to end of this segment and the end of the TPR portion of this trip report. Thank you to Robb, Elissa and all our fellow trip participants for making this such a great trip. We miss you guys!
Viewed 9293 times
Last edited by mattnz on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 am.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 am

Inverted coasters always seem to have long lines. At Heide-Park the line for Limit - Vekoma SLC - is mostly longer than the line for Desert Race - Intamin Accelerator. How strange this may seem....

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby FreeFaller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 am

Great update, MAtt! Cedar Point is just amazing and we had a great time there!

Counselor Neil

Re: Thank the Intamin Gods for Fastlane - Cedar Point

Postby televisedconfession » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm

mattnz wrote:As Neil pointed out during our amazing ERT session, this coaster is SEX. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'll have some!

Oh.... the things that could be said in reply to this.
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Nice update Matt! Thanks for sharing :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!