TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398651/Zookeeper-Utah-amusement-park-hospitalized-gored-leg-wildebeest.html

A zookeeper at a Utah amusement park was hospitalized after being gored in the leg by a wildebeest on Sunday.

Paramedics responded to a report of a goring at the Lagoon amusement park in Farmington, about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City, Davis County sheriff's Sergeant Susan Poulsen said.

Farmington Fire Chief Guido Smith said responders found a 28-year-old female employee who had been gored during a feeding process, when she 'came in contact with the animal's horn.'

The woman suffered an injury to her thigh and was transported to a Salt Lake City trauma center, where she was in serious but stable condition, he said. He described the injury as a laceration. Smith had no further details about how the injury happened but said the wildebeest was in its pen at the time, and there was 'no evidence of anything out of control.'

Wildebeests are hooved mammals with ox-like heads and horse-like manes.

Lagoon amusement park spokesman Adam Leishman confirmed that the zookeeper was hospitalized but said he had no information about what led to the injury. He said the park keeps a number of exotic cats, bison, deer, warthogs and other animals.

Lagoon park also features rides, live entertainment and an Old West-themed village, according to its website.

Earlier this year, a protest against Lagoon was staged by animal rights activists who claimed that the living conditions of the park's 80 animals were poor and unfit for wild animals.

Poulsen said Utah Occupational Safety and Health officials were looking into the workplace accident. Utah's No. 2 labor official, Jaceson Maughan, declined to provide any additional details.

And just where is the documentary 'Brownhornedanimal' and why are people not petitioning to prevent wildebeests from being held against their force in captivity?

Where in the hell is the love for the damned WILDEBEESTS?????

Where is CNN?????

Following that link, I looked at the first page of the thread, and it looks like we got some juicy information:

Name: Cannibal

Type: Steel Roller Coaster with Vertical Elevator

Designer: Dal Freeman

Manufacturer: Lagoon Corporation

General Contractor: Lagoon Corporation

Colors: Red Track with Tan Uprights

Trains: 5 to 6

Inversions: 3 (Immelmann Loop, Unknown, Barrel Roll)

Height: 200+ Feet

Drop: 200+ Feet

Speed: 60+ MPH

Length: 2,000+ Feet

Cost: 10+ Million Dollars

Opening Date: Spring 2015

Other Details:

Track and Upright Fabricator: Intermountain Lift, Inc.

Train Fabricator: Stakotra

Elevator Fabricator: Unknown

PLC/Safety System: Actemium

Unconfirmed Details:

This Coaster MAY feature a Beyond Vertical Drop.

Notes:

Trains will have Lapbar Only Restraints.

Inversions will Include an Immelman Loop, Barrel Roll, and a Third Unknown Inversion.

First Major Steel Roller Coaster to be Entirely Designed, Engineered, and Constructed "In House" outside of the Walt Disney Company.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398651/Zookeeper-Utah-amusement-park-hospitalized-gored-leg-wildebeest.html

A zookeeper at a Utah amusement park was hospitalized after being gored in the leg by a wildebeest on Sunday.

Paramedics responded to a report of a goring at the Lagoon amusement park in Farmington, about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City, Davis County sheriff's Sergeant Susan Poulsen said.

Farmington Fire Chief Guido Smith said responders found a 28-year-old female employee who had been gored during a feeding process, when she 'came in contact with the animal's horn.'

The woman suffered an injury to her thigh and was transported to a Salt Lake City trauma center, where she was in serious but stable condition, he said. He described the injury as a laceration. Smith had no further details about how the injury happened but said the wildebeest was in its pen at the time, and there was 'no evidence of anything out of control.'

Wildebeests are hooved mammals with ox-like heads and horse-like manes.

Lagoon amusement park spokesman Adam Leishman confirmed that the zookeeper was hospitalized but said he had no information about what led to the injury. He said the park keeps a number of exotic cats, bison, deer, warthogs and other animals.

Lagoon park also features rides, live entertainment and an Old West-themed village, according to its website.

Earlier this year, a protest against Lagoon was staged by animal rights activists who claimed that the living conditions of the park's 80 animals were poor and unfit for wild animals.

Poulsen said Utah Occupational Safety and Health officials were looking into the workplace accident. Utah's No. 2 labor official, Jaceson Maughan, declined to provide any additional details.

Edited by Ed Farmer

5 to 6 trains and only 2000+ feet of track? Kinda short for that many trains. Unless it were some sort of hybrid wild mouse. On the other hand, 2000+ feet could be 4000 or more. So, seems like very ambiguous figures to me.
They could be 8 seater cars if you think about it.

5 to 6 trains and only 2000+ feet of track? Kinda short for that many trains. Unless it were some sort of hybrid wild mouse. On the other hand, 2000+ feet could be 4000 or more. So, seems like very ambiguous figures to me.
The Track Length and Height hasn't exactly been confirmed, but it will be Lagoon's Longest, Tallest, and Fastest Roller Coaster. Wicked has 6 Trains but only uses 5 at a time and loads two trains at a time. Cannibal's Trains will be very similar to Wickeds, but may have a 3rd Row to carry 12 persons instead of 8.

Not sure how I feel about a 200ft+ elevator lift. Hope it is reliable! The stats of the ride are definitely intriguing though…guess I will save a visit to Lagoon until this opens now!

Do we know where this ride is going?
It is going to be west of Skyscraper, taking up the area where Top Eliminator was and some of the overflow parking. Constuction started when they removed Top E. at the end of the 2011 season.

I've always wanted to visit Lagoon not only due to it being closer to me than most major non-California parks, but it really looks like a very nice park with an eclectic collection of rides, the big draws for me being the John Miller woodie, Wicked, the two Schwarzkopfs, the Bisch Rocco flyers, and the recent Zamperla Air Race (these things look nucking futs). Cannibal is quite intriguing, and looks like it will be a wonderful addition to the park's collection. But with it being in-house and having an elevator lift and all, I can't help but worry that this could be the next Flying Turns, or worse, Orphan Rocker.

Worries aside, I'm looking forward to see what the ride looks like and will make a trip to Lagoon when it opens. Lagoon Is Fun has got some construction pics up, with some track already onsite. This thing is going to be awesome to watch getting built.

Source: http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthread.php?tid=4053&page=38

Cannibal10001.jpg.c8b9f6b1e9723e0cc93e667d49f1d62d.jpg

Cannibal20001.jpg.204d44f1010e3821d0e7d4a683e9ab27.jpg

Cannibal30001.jpg.797887f7eab533c6097b72d2abdf156e.jpg

Cannibal40001.jpg.ce0fa96701e166a32fdb485a8ee17488.jpg

Cannibal50001.jpg.036de17938f7cd62d637e855ff069f8d.jpg

Cannibal60001.jpg.8d18c68a18b6209ed07d0856fe11c454.jpg

Do we know where this ride is going?
It is going to be west of Skyscraper, taking up the area where Top Eliminator was and some of the overflow parking. Constuction started when they removed Top E. at the end of the 2011 season.

Bout time they added a new coaster to that side. The last coaster there was Bat or Jet Star 2.

I've always wanted to visit Lagoon not only due to it being closer to me than most major non-California parks, but it really looks like a very nice park with an eclectic collection of rides, the big draws for me being the John Miller woodie, Wicked, the two Schwarzkopfs, the Bisch Rocco flyers, and the recent Zamperla Air Race (these things look nucking futs). Cannibal is quite intriguing, and looks like it will be a wonderful addition to the park's collection. But with it being in-house and having an elevator lift and all, I can't help but worry that this could be the next Flying Turns, or worse, Orphan Rocker.

Worries aside, I'm looking forward to see what the ride looks like and will make a trip to Lagoon when it opens. Lagoon Is Fun has got some construction pics up, with some track already onsite. This thing is going to be awesome to watch getting built.

Source: http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthread.php?tid=4053&page=38

Magnum XL-200 and most of Dal Freeman's other coasters he designed while at Arrow worked out pretty well, not to Mention Rattlesnake Rapids, Wicked, and BomBora at Lagoon. Since Lagoon is working mostly with the same suppliers for BomBora as Cannibal, and specifically Actemium and Intermountain Lift, who have worked in heavy industry, including Mining, I'm not worried at all. Also, Air Race at Lagoon is pretty Nuckin Futs, except when the damn planes need to be reset and require complete reprogramming. lol

I feel like it's almost a foregone conclusion that this ride is going to suck... especially after a few years. A 200+ foot coaster should not cost 10 million dollars (we all know it's going over budget but that shouldn't EVER be the projected cost), and using an elevator lift is just asking for trouble.

^^ I actually think that it's quite reasonable, but only because it is designed in house. That $10 million is purely the mechanical aspects, the track trains and so on, none of the money is going towards layout design (the layout was designed by a Lagoon employee so no extra cost there ) or contractors (they take a significant slice of the cost). Seeing as Bombora was fully in house and Lagoon's layout was done in house I suspect this will be quite good.

Everyone keeps talking about the elevator lift, but when I read that thread on lagoonisfun, the very first page says the ride will have a traditional lift hill, just scroll towards the bottom. What's the truth here? Lol.

Before this gets out of hand, I'm going to nip this whole thing in the bud. Here's what we've heard so far:

This Ride Will be Designed by Dal Freeman.

The Components Will be Contracted Out, probably to Intermountain Lift, Inc., in Springville, just like BomBora.

The Ride Will be OVER 200ft Tall, we've heard 220ft mentioned several times.

The Ride Will use a Traditional Lift Hill.

The Ride Will have Inversions.

The Ride Will be Located on the North End of the Park.

The Trains Will have Lap Bars.

The Trains May have 4 Across Seating.

It Will be Lagoon's Tallest, Fastest, and Most Expensive Ride to Date.

In other words, No Intamin, No B&M, No Vekoma, No Premier Rides, No S&S, etc.