Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 177 - Animal Kingdom's 20th Anniversary Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thr

Postby beastadat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:24 pm

ernierocker wrote:Here is part of an interview posted a few pages back with Joe Rohde about working on the Avatar project.

What are you looking forward to next?

When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

All of us who are designers have an opportunity to take the work we are given and make it something unexpected. That’s how we help the company to grow and expand into new areas.

Sounds like they are going for that immersive factor to me. ;)

As long as it feels Natural and not blue, then we got ourselves a win for Animal Kingdom. Also, does anyone really enjoy Dinoland U.S.A. at Animal Kingdom, you can obviously tell that land was rushed to be done.
Coaster Credits:
-Steel: 26
-Wood: 2
-Parks I've been to: All Disney Parks in the U.S., Universal Orlando, Knott's Berry Farm, and Busch Gardens Tampa

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm

beastadat wrote:^^ Well thanks for reminding me about that. I just wonder how the Imagineers would pull that off. I do hope Disney uses that dragon thing they used for Fantasyland's Expansion opening although that fire breathing effect won't happen. I wonder if that Dragon contraption is a test for a night-time show for Disney's Animal Kingdom?

That dragon was developed by WDI as a stand alone project, with no show or attraction intent. They used it at the New Fantasyland opening because it fit (kinda) with the theme (barely). The main problem is the weather in Florida is crazy sometimes and it would ground the aircraft. If the dragon was in a show, It'd probably be a pretty large focus considering how cool it is. Now take the weather into account and the dragon would be grounded A LOT, meaning an altered show or no show. Its also very loud, which is why it flew so high above New Fantasyland. And finally, it is an aircraft that requires a runway. There is just so much against it, we'll probably only see it for special events.

Back to actual stuff happening in Animal Kingdom: The new theater being built for the relocated Festival of the Lion King looks pretty substantial compared to the old one. This is only coming for the pics I've seen from different sites around the net, but it seems like its getting a better theater then the one its leaving!

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:
beastadat wrote:^^ Well thanks for reminding me about that. I just wonder how the Imagineers would pull that off. I do hope Disney uses that dragon thing they used for Fantasyland's Expansion opening although that fire breathing effect won't happen. I wonder if that Dragon contraption is a test for a night-time show for Disney's Animal Kingdom?

That dragon was developed by WDI as a stand alone project, with no show or attraction intent. They used it at the New Fantasyland opening because it fit (kinda) with the theme (barely). The main problem is the weather in Florida is crazy sometimes and it would ground the aircraft. If the dragon was in a show, It'd probably be a pretty large focus considering how cool it is. Now take the weather into account and the dragon would be grounded A LOT, meaning an altered show or no show. Its also very loud, which is why it flew so high above New Fantasyland. And finally, it is an aircraft that requires a runway. There is just so much against it, we'll probably only see it for special events.

Back to actual stuff happening in Animal Kingdom: The new theater being built for the relocated Festival of the Lion King looks pretty substantial compared to the old one. This is only coming for the pics I've seen from different sites around the net, but it seems like its getting a better theater then the one its leaving!

Plus I'm pretty sure they will only fly it for the public during nighttime events. The large kite above the dragon would be very visible in the daytime.

Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:19 pm

^Yes, its only a night time thing.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Ok, Not sure which WDW Park thread to post this in, so I'll start with AK.

Last Time I visited WDW was in 2009. I will be visiting the parks on November 27-30th, and would like to know what has changed and what I can expect crowd wise. I know the Disney Junior Soccer Showcase is going on during this (huge Soccer tournament at ESPN WWoS), so will that effect crowds? Also, best places to eat? Especially Epcot, as I will spend a good amount of time there. I have no priorities or must do's yet, but that might change if my little sister comes along so I can get her on all the Mountain rides, Good Tower, and Rockn' Roller coaster; as those are what she wants to do the most. Any other info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 am

^That's Thanksgiving, it's going to be packed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Has anyone done the Wilderness Explorers program? I forgot it was even at AK, and I have some friends with kids who may be visiting and thought they might enjoy it. Also, any updates on Avatar Land?

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:47 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/first-look-avatar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

From the moment AVATAR was released, people were captivated by the mythical world of Pandora. When we announced that we’d be working with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring this world to life in our parks, we felt certain that this partnership and combination of talent and imagination would produce an experience unlike any other ever created.

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch. At the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, we shared an early glimpse of the plans for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and I wanted to share some of these breathtaking images and a short preview of what’s to come with all of you.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of AVATAR guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

And the new AVATAR-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, we’ll be adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) and a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris.

As the world of AVATAR becomes real at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the energy and passion shared by our Imagineers and the Lightstorm team for this monumental task continues to be remarkable. I can’t wait to see the reactions of our guests as they step into a world that until now has only existed on the screen.

We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-will-transport-transform-guests/

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.

Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Wow,looks very impressive! Only 4 years left until it opens! Glad to see the river being used again.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Justice » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm

That floating mountain range looks pretty darn cool. Really excited about the new additions to DAK and think all of this will make it feel like a more complete park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!